DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   How much longer will it be til we get a complete Halloween/Hammer collection? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/613561-how-much-longer-will-til-we-get-complete-halloween-hammer-collection.html)

Mondo Kane 09-18-13 02:51 PM

How much longer will it be til we get a complete Halloween/Hammer collection?

Reason why I ask is that (In case folks haven't noticed) studios/companies (Notably in Region 1) have recently been coming together to give us movie-fans/collectors something we always wanted: Complete movie collections under one banner.

We sure have been seeing a lot of them appear lately:

Terminator quadrilogy
Mad Max trilogy
Friday The 13th (Original all the way up to the remake)
Criterion's upcoming Zatoichi set

For me, the biggest ones left are the Halloween series and the Hammer series (The Dracula and Frankenstein films, in particular)

Given how impossible it once seemed at the time, I wouldn't be surprised if this eventually happens.....As long as companies either merge or buy each other out, of course!

milo bloom 09-18-13 06:41 PM

Re: How much longer will it be til we get a complete Halloween/Hammer collection?

I was going to point out the issue of the multiple rights holders, but you just mentioned how they seem to be getting better at sharing now that the physical market is getting tight.

JR Beasley 09-22-13 12:12 PM

Re: How much longer will it be til we get a complete Halloween/Hammer collection?

Yeah, a Hammer collection will be a long time coming seeing as the Dracula films by themselves are owned by three different companies. Universal, WB and Anchor Bay.

Pizza 09-22-13 12:57 PM

Never will happen.

Never. Well, at least not until everything falls into public domain.

I do hope that one day we get a complete Dracula set with oodles of bonuses but even that is unlikely.

big e 09-22-13 07:39 PM

I agree with pizza, it's (probably) not going to happen. The Hammer catalog is spread out across way too many different studios. Although, the North American studios don't seem that interested in releasing their Hammer titles, so I don't know why they wouldn't license the movies out to a studio like Shout? Supposedly Synapse or someone got the distribution rights to a bunch of Hammer films, although I haven't really heard any further news about them. Were there any complete sets released in the UK?

The Monkees 09-24-13 02:03 AM

I think the main problem with Halloween is that it's not just 2 companies, it's 3 so it might be a bit more difficult to really get them all together. But who knows, I never thought I'd see all of the Friday the 13th films in one set either.

DoctorWhosScarf 09-24-13 07:48 PM

Synapse released House Of Hammer, but nothing else over here to my knowledge. Have they just given up on releasing Hammer titles or has there been any recent news?

big e 09-25-13 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees (Post 11845846)
I think the main problem with Halloween is that it's not just 2 companies, it's 3 so it might be a bit more difficult to really get them all together. But who knows, I never thought I'd see all of the Friday the 13th films in one set either.

I think we might have a better chance of seeing a Halloween boxset than a Hammer set. True, the Halloween films are owned by 3 companies, but two of those companies, Echo Bridge and Anchor Bay, don't seem that interested in doing anything with the titles they own. Anchor Bay did release 4&5 on BD previously and did just release a new edition of Halloween, but the company itself doesn't seem that interested in releasing horror anymore. Plus, Shout is coming out with a new edition of Day of the Dead, which Anchor Bay previously distributed. Now, with Halloween 6-8, Echo Bridge distributed BDs of them, but the rights are still owned by Miramax (or whoever the hell owns Miramax), correct? And Miramax doesn't seem that interested in doing anything with their films, but they also don't appear to want to license them out to anyone except Echo Bridge (I thought that happened just because the company was bankrupt and their film catalog was being sold off). Getting the ownership and distribution rights to 6-8 sorted out might be the biggest stumbling block to releasing a Halloween boxset, although I think if someone really wanted to release a Halloween boxset, they could get the rights sorted out.

Wow, the Halloween franchise turned into one big clusterf*&k, didn't it?

joltman 09-25-13 10:38 AM

Another example is the upcoming Child's Play collection, since the first one is MGM and the rest are Universal.
Has there ever been a box set that featured films from more than 2 companies?

wahlers 09-26-13 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by joltman (Post 11847629)
Has there ever been a box set that featured films from more than 2 companies?

I thought that the Terminator series was 3 different companies: 1: MGM, 2: Artisan, 3 & 4: WB. Did either MGM or WB reacquire T2 at some point?

The F13 franchise set was more a lucky break that Paramount gave WB a large chunk of their catalog titles to distribute so the foot was already in the door, so to speak. Since the rest of the titles were New Line/WB this was probably a pretty easy set to finalize.

Also, I've noticed that Mad Max was MGM, Terminator (1) was MGM, and Child's Play (1) was MGM.

Maybe with the massive changes that MGM went through they're just really willing to let people lease their catalog for box sets and such. However, I don't know how willing other companies would be. :/

GoldenWheels 09-26-13 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf (Post 11846915)
Synapse released House Of Hammer, but nothing else over here to my knowledge. Have they just given up on releasing Hammer titles or has there been any recent news?

They released Vampire Circus, Hands of the Ripper, and Countess Dracula is still coming.

rbrown498 09-26-13 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels (Post 11849079)
They released Vampire Circus, Hands of the Ripper, and Countess Dracula is still coming.

GoldenWheels, they also released TWINS OF EVIL. I find it rather ironic that you forgot that one, considering your avatar and all.

big e 09-26-13 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels (Post 11849079)
and Countess Dracula is still coming.

Urge to post dirty comment... rising.

Mondo Kane 05-19-14 02:33 PM

1 down. 1 to go.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/620...g-blu-ray.html