Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-13, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by Chad
Speaking of which, I'm really looking forward to the illegally shot at Disneyland/World Escape from Tomorrow:
Okay, that looks amazing!
Old 09-12-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Sure. I could switch it with Horror Comedies (10/11), which is also on a Friday. Or possibly Body Horror (10/19). One of the two.
Whichever is fine. Later might be better for some. It doesn't make too much of a difference to me. Thanks, though.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Free streaming w/ Prime? Because if so... my social life just took a major hit.
YES. Yes, yes, and yes. My social life is my wife and I watching Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu together. Not much else matters.

Originally Posted by ntnon
Those last three would be daft by anyone's estimation.
Oh, but it's been done.
Old 09-13-13, 01:12 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I second the earlier pick of It Came From Beneath the Sea for Aquatic Horror, but I may be biased as I have easy access to it, owning it on DVD, and loving all of Harryhausen's work.
Ditto shadokitty! Reason why I suggested it!!
Old 09-13-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Here are my subset film suggestions (sorry, but I didn't check to see if they were already suggested). Both are available on NetFlix Instant and Amazon Instant.

Vampires in Havana (Vampiros en La Habana) (1987) - Horror Comedies, Vampires, or Erotic / Sexy Horror Films

The Blood Beast Terror (1967) - Peter Cushing Centennial

I haven't seen either one, so don't blame me if they're no good.

Edit: There was a third suggestion, but it turns out I'd watched them both during a previous challenge, so I'll find something else to suggest if I need to.

Last edited by Dimension X; 09-13-13 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-13-13, 10:23 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 934 Likes on 782 Posts

Joy Ride...horror?
Old 09-13-13, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Joy Ride...horror?
yes that'll do...is this your first time participating?
Old 09-13-13, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
yes that'll do...is this your first time participating?
no, but haven't done it in years...
Old 09-13-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I may have missed it but have the theme nights and cecklist been posted yet?
Old 09-13-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I may have missed it but have the theme nights and cecklist been posted yet?
Sorry, I haven't included the links on the first page yet.

Theme nights is complete (a half-ass version) and is here.

We're currently choosing subset films (The picks so far are here). We still need 5 more volunteers, BTW.

The checklist will come after that.
Old 09-13-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

So suggestions don't get lost in the shuffle:
  1. Bladz - Black Sabbath (Chronological, Telephone), The Descent (Splat Pack), Rabid (Body), Carnival of Souls (B&W)
  2. rbrown498 - The Night Stalker (Made-for-TV), Satan's School for Girls (Made-for-TV), Let's Scare Jessica to Death
  3. SterlingBen - Killer Tongue (Comedy)
  4. Dick Laurent - Trilogy of Terror (Dolls/Puppets)
  5. Darkgod - American Mary (Body), Female Vampire (Vampires)
  6. indiephantom - Psycho III (Icons/Sequels)
  7. arw6040 - Open Water (Aquatic), Piranha (Aquatic), The Reef (Aquatic), Barracuda (Aquatic), Black Water (Aquatic), Jaws (Aquatic)
  8. clckworang
  9. Mondo Kane - Dark Town (Vampires), Night of the Cobra Woman (Erotic), Bloody Birthday (Slashers), The Black Sheep (B&W)
  10. Chad - John Dies at the End (Psychotronic), more coming soon
  11. terrycloth
  12. cwileyy - Kidnapped (Home Invasion), Sleepaway Camp (slasher), Blood Diner (Evil Families), House on Haunted Hill (Ghost)
  13. riotinmyskull
  14. Undeadcow - Farmhouse (Harvest), Dead Heat (Comedies), Brain Damage (Comedies), A Haunting in Connecticut (2002, Made-for-TV)
  15. SethDLH - Scanners 2 (Psychic), Scanners 3 (Psychic)
  16. Trevor
  17. Dimension X
  18. tarfrimmer - Slither (Comedy, Body), House (Comedy, Ghost), ParaNorman (Family), Dementia 13 (Chrono)
  19. shellebelle - Shock Waves (Aquatic), It Came from Beneath the Sea (Aquatic), Hotel Transylvania (Family), The Gate (Family), Frankenweenie (Family)
  20. mrcellophane - The Lost Boys (Vampires), Horror of Dracula (Vampires), Angel Heart (Erotic), The Cat and the Canary (Ghost), The Haunting (Ghost)
  21. J. Farley - Eyes of the Fire (Native/Western), The Ghost Dance (Native/Western), Screams of a Winter Night (Native/Western), The Shadow of Chikara (Native/Western), Jennifer (Psychic), Psycho from Texas (Slasher, Psychotronic), Jack's Back (Slasher)
  22. Gobear - Breeders (Body Horror), The Devil's Carnival (Musical), The Possession (Satanic), The Dunwich Horror (Satanic)
  23. ntnon
  24. jacob_b - In Their Skin (Home Invasion)
  25. ororama - The Flesh and the Fiends (Peter Cushing), Frankenstein (Peter Cushing), The Revenge of Frankenstein (Peter Cushing)
  26. Darth Maher
  27. ?
  28. ?
  29. ?
  30. ?
  31. ?

Repo! The Genetic Opera (Musical, Comedy)
The Cabin in the Woods (Haunted House?, Mystery)
The Possession (Demonic Possession)
The Possessed (Demonic Possession)
The Lost Boys (Vampire)
Children of the Corn (etc.) (Sequels)
Old 09-13-13, 12:21 PM

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Just putting in a bid for subset for Saturday October 26th's Mass Marathon of the Damned IV -Icons, 2 -&- Sequels: The Prequel for Psycho III. Several years ago I picked Psycho II as a subset and I feel it's a great year for Icon Norman Bates, what with two more of his flicks arriving on BD and the success of the new Bates Motel series (which I hope to finally get around to watching as part of this challenge).
Hm. Might have to look out my Psycho sequels set. Wonder where it wound up...
Old 09-13-13, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Rather than going through what's available where (haven't been streaming too much on Netflix or otherwise of late) for my other theme recommendations, I'm just putting down some that I plan to watch or re-watch for a few categories.

Evil Families - Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. I've seen this one twice before but I'm dying to crack my blu-ray. My first screening was when it first hit VHS when I was sixteen. I was a big fan of Stretch at the time, and Dennis Hopper. Re-watched it with a whole new appreciation when it first hit bare bones DVD and I think it's time to add it to my Horror challenge experience.

Chronological ('88)/Harvest Horrors/Evil Families - American Gothic (1987). Always meant to catch this one. Made in Canada and starring Rod Steiger.

Killer Monkeys - Link (1986) This one has Elisabeth Shue. I recall renting it when I was younger and finding it a bit dry. Not sure I finished it, but I've been meaning to return to it and the challenge will be a nice opportunity.

Harvest Horrors/Chronological 1988/Horror Westerns - I plan on checking out Ghost Town which looks pretty great. I can see Harvest Horror becoming a favorite theme from this year. I watched a slew of the Children of the Corn flicks on the first challenge day last year. I still haven't watched Dark Night of the Scarecrow or Scarecrows. Think I'll re-watch Rawhead Rex too, another late '80s VHS rental that's calling me.

Speaking of VHS, I might watch Rewind This to get even more in the mood for this thing.

Last edited by indiephantom; 09-13-13 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-13-13, 01:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

When Friday the 13th falls in September it should count for an official early start 24 hour period, as long as you watch Friday the 13th related content only. Same with November as a coda.
Old 09-13-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
When Friday the 13th falls in September it should count for an official early start 24 hour period, as long as you watch Friday the 13th related content only. Same with November as a coda.
This would be great. A friend just reminded me of the date and I'm definitely going to watch something related this evening. Especially since it's been drearily raining all week and feels like a day Jason V. would thrive.
Old 09-13-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm missing my copies of the first two F13s, but I have all the others, minus Jason X and the remake. I plan to order a copy of the first two for the challenge to replace my missing ones this year. I also have Freddy vs Jason
Old 09-13-13, 01:51 PM

i was planning on opening the new set and watch the 1st tonight. may or may not happen, but would be nice if it did count...

when does the "List" thread usually come out? i want to start horrifying my list post...
Old 09-13-13, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts

Quick little confirmation: My pick is for Black Sleep. Not Sheep. Could've swore that a "Mad Doctor" theme made it into the chart, but I'm guessing that it was the Dr. Giggles suggestion on the right side that threw me off. If there was a "Mad Doctor" theme, I would definetly put Black Sleep in there instead of B&W Horror. I last saw that movie on TCM Underground and have been wanting to check it out again.

(Since I'm bored, here's why I chose the others)

Dark Town-This was actually one of my award-winners from one of the earliest challenges (In the "Surprised-I-Enjoyed-That" category) I've never seen the movie since and would love to revisit it again to see if it holds up.

Night/Cobra Woman-I last watched this for one of the exploitation challenges. Had to throw in some Filipino/blaxploitation horror in here (Speaking of which, I finally see that Twilight People is on youtube. Woohoo!) Marlene Clark deserves some notice too from the old school cult/horror community.

Bloody Birthday-Another that I last saw on TCM Underground. We had a "Killer Kids" theme last year and this would've been a prime candidate.

This will also be the first challenge where I'll re-watch plenty of movies that I've already seen in previous challenges. That used to be a big no-no for me throughout the years, but I always knew there would come a time where I had to re-watch some classics or odd favorites. One factor for that is because Showtime & The Movie Channel are STILL showing the same damn stuff as they did last year. At least Netflix-Instant and youtube will keep this year's challenge fresh.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 09-13-13 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-13-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 237 Posts

The SyFy channel has been running F13 stuff last night and all day today. I caught myself drawn into VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan before going to bed. As I watched, I couldn't help but realize how horrible the film is. But I still couldn't turn it off.
Old 09-13-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm all for participating in the sub-set. What exactly do I need to do? Just pick a title, or a theme as well?
Old 09-13-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
The SyFy channel has been running F13 stuff last night and all day today. I caught myself drawn into VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan before going to bed. As I watched, I couldn't help but realize how horrible the film is. But I still couldn't turn it off.
They actually started yesterday afternoon with Freddy vs. Jason, followed by IV: The Final Chapter.
Old 09-13-13, 03:23 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I'm all for participating in the sub-set. What exactly do I need to do? Just pick a title, or a theme as well?
Suggest a few movies and what specific pre-selected theme days they fit. One of your selections will be used in the final account. Theme days are optional to encourage discussion should participants use them to watch similar horror films, and themes encourage diversity, exploring new subgenres you might otherwise not. The theme day list is here [ignore examples, which don't match yet]: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11829346-post260.html

Chad, the challenge organizer, might chime in with more info.
Old 09-13-13, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yeah, and look over this list, which has all the current picks (I try to keep it as up-to-date as possible) and throw out some suggestions for themes not yet covered.

Here's the kickoff with a little more details, and it lists all the films used in the past.

Originally Posted by rbrown498
SURELY there's a way that we can squeeze LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH in here somewhere. It's on YouTube, and it's very, very special.
That is unfortunate and I will do my best to remedy that situation.

Easily one of my top Big Lots $3 finds ever. And it's one of my favorite double features when pairing it alongside "Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural" ...another title that's surprisingly never made the list.

Unless people have objections to this, I'm fine with implementing that right now. A little last-minute, but whatever. Most watch a F13 flick on the actual day anyway. Just write down the title(s) you watched and carry them over to the list thread ...once it's posted. I'll throw out a reminder for those that aren't currently frequenting the forums once it goes up.

And to answer that question, soon.

Last edited by Chad; 09-13-13 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-13-13, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad;11833402
Unless people have objections to this, I'm fine with implementing that [U
right now[/U]. A little last-minute, but whatever. Most watch a F13 flick on the actual day anyway. Just write down the title(s) you watched and carry them over to the list thread ...once it's posted. I'll throw out a reminder for those that aren't currently frequenting the forums once it goes up.

Love it! Like a little warm-up marathon that reminds me how fun my viewing will be getting in a coupe of weeks.
Old 09-13-13, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Unless people have objections to this, I'm fine with implementing that right now. A little last-minute, but whatever. Most watch a F13 flick on the actual day anyway. Just write down the title(s) you watched and carry them over to the list thread ...once it's posted. I'll throw out a reminder for those that aren't currently frequenting the forums once it goes up.

Great. Now we'll have people with nine or ten movies on their lists before October even gets here.
Old 09-13-13, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, didn't mean to open up a can of worms. What if we limited it to one title?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.