Re-mastered 'Pee-wee's Playhouse' Set in 2014

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From our good friends at ICV2.com:

Published: 08/06/2013, Last Updated: 08/07/2013 04:40am

Shout! Factory will release a newly re-mastered version of Paul Reuben’s TV series Pee-wee’s Playhouse to home entertainment and digital platforms in 2014. All 45 episodes, as well as Pee-wee’s Christmas Special, will be re-mastered from the original 35mm film for the first time.

Pee-wee’s Playhouse premiered on CBS in 1986, ran for five years, and was a stable of children’s Saturday morning entertainment in reruns throughout the 1980s and 90s. The show won 15 Emmys, multiple other awards, and was named by TV Guide as "one of the top ten cult television classics of all time."

The show featured many beloved regulars, including several actors who went on to become household names, including: Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne), Captain Carl (Phil Hartman), Reba the Mail Lady (S. Epatha Merkerson), Miss Yvonne (Lynne Marie Stewart), The King of Cartoons (William Marshall), Jambi the Genie (John Paragon), Ricardo (Vic Trevino) and Mrs. Rene (Suzanne Kent).

"Pee-wee’s Playhouse is a cultural touchstone for a generation, and its visually dynamic design and offbeat sense of humor were a genuine phenomenon," said Shout! Factory’s founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos.

Shout! Factory will include a full-range of bonus content for the multi-disc Blu-ray box set titled Pee-wee’s Playhouse: The Complete Series. They plan an aggressive rollout for the complete series Blu-ray collection as well as the individual season discs.

The show has previously been available on DVD from Image Entertainment.

No MSRP or specific release dates have been announced.
Old 08-08-13, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re-mastered 'Pee-wee's Playhouse' Set in 2014

Day 1 purchase for me.
Old 08-08-13, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by speedy1961
From our good friends at ICV2.com:

Published: 08/06/2013, Last Updated: 08/07/2013 04:40am

Shout! Factory will release a newly re-mastered version of Paul Reuben’s TV series Pee-wee’s Playhouse to home entertainment and digital platforms in 2014. All 45 episodes, as well as Pee-wee’s Christmas Special, will be re-mastered from the original 35mm film for the first time.

Pee-wee’s Playhouse premiered on CBS in 1986, ran for five years, and was a stable of children’s Saturday morning entertainment in reruns throughout the 1980s and 90s. The show won 15 Emmys, multiple other awards, and was named by TV Guide as "one of the top ten cult television classics of all time."

The show featured many beloved regulars, including several actors who went on to become household names, including: Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne), Captain Carl (Phil Hartman), Reba the Mail Lady (S. Epatha Merkerson), Miss Yvonne (Lynne Marie Stewart), The King of Cartoons (William Marshall), Jambi the Genie (John Paragon), Ricardo (Vic Trevino) and Mrs. Rene (Suzanne Kent).

"Pee-wee’s Playhouse is a cultural touchstone for a generation, and its visually dynamic design and offbeat sense of humor were a genuine phenomenon," said Shout! Factory’s founders Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos.

Shout! Factory will include a full-range of bonus content for the multi-disc Blu-ray box set titled Pee-wee’s Playhouse: The Complete Series. They plan an aggressive rollout for the complete series Blu-ray collection as well as the individual season discs.

The show has previously been available on DVD from Image Entertainment.

No MSRP or specific release dates have been announced.
The King of Cartoons was played by Gil Lewis for most of the series' run. As I recall, Marshall only popped up in the role late in its run.
Old 08-08-13, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Day 1 purchase for me.
Same for me in Blu-Ray.
Old 08-08-13, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The King of Cartoons was played by Gil Lewis for most of the series' run. As I recall, Marshall only popped up in the role late in its run.
Actually, you have that backwards. It was Gilbert Lewis for season one and William Marshall for the rest of the series.

EDIT: Although, it appears Lewis was in 8 episodes and Marshall was in 10, so because Marshall's episodes are more spread out, it might feel like he's in the show less.
Old 08-08-13, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
Actually, you have that backwards. It was Gil Lewis for season one and William Marshall for the rest of the series.
I guess I remember Season One more than the other seasons. Thanks for the correction.
Old 08-08-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

I didn't realize there were only 45 episodes
Old 08-08-13, 09:49 PM
Banned

Hopefully, this will actually come out. A mega set with extras was supposed to come out year ago and never happened.
Old 10-21-18, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Sorry for the bump but does anybody have this on DVD? I am thinking or ordering for my brother who doesn't have Bluray as an x-mas gift but am wondering if the features on the Complete DVD collection are the same as the blu?

Features:
Building the Playhouse
Opening the Playhouse
Writing for the Playhouse
The Look of the Playhouse
Music of the Playhouse
The Cast of the Playhouse
Puppets of the Playhouse
Animating the Playhouse
A Very Merry Christmas Special
Fans and Memorabilia of the Playhouse