DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

4th Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 761 Likes on 551 Posts
Re: 4th Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by davidh777
I'm a fan of Birds of Prey but don't think of Catwoman as a member.
Speaking as a fan of the original Chuck Dixon and Gail Simone runs, she is not. Nor are many of the current members. It's become another commodity book for DC.
Old 08-31-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 761 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Yesterday and last night, I worked through the Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Academy Awards Animation Collection - 15 Winners DVD compilation...
The short version is that I've never liked Tom and Jerry and this set did nothing to win me over...
I've almost picked up that set from the WM dump bin several times but wanted to research the included titles first. I'm glad you did that for me! I now know to leave it alone as I already own the entire run of Tom and Jerry cartoons. I've never been a big T&J fan but my grandkids love them so I purchased the three "Spotlight" collections for them.

T&J remind me too much of Roadrunner and Speedy Gonzales cartoons in that 1 or 2 in a row is OK as long as there's something with a bit more than endless chase scenes waiting around the corner. Oddly, until I read your comments, I never really noticed that both are antagonists! That could be why I rank them below Roadrunner and Speedy as there's just no truly redeeming factor for either character.
Old 08-31-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 190 Likes on 145 Posts

To avoid burnout, I haven't been watching exclusively animation, but rather watching what I would normally watch, and just listing animation when I did watch it.
Old 08-31-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 185 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Hmmm... Since that's the story line that brought me back into comics maybe I should give the film a try after all.
It's my favorite Superman screen adventure that wasn't made by the Fleischers, to be honest. The final 30 minutes are, as I mentioned in my review, tedious but the first 2/3 are excellent.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Oddly, until I read your comments, I never really noticed that both are antagonists! That could be why I rank them below Roadrunner and Speedy as there's just no truly redeeming factor for either character.
Yeah, when I watch Wile E. Coyote, I know he's the bad guy, but I empathize with him for his persistence in the face of discouraging failures. When I watch Tom and Jerry, though, I have no idea who to root for because they both instigate things all the time. And that's all they do. They rarely seem to have any objective outside of inflicting as much pain on the other as possible.

Speedy wants to get the cheese, Sylvester is tasked with guarding it. I get that. The Coyote wants to eat the Roadrunner. I get that. Sylvester wants to eat Tweetie. I get that. But what the hell do Tom and/or Jerry even want? They need counseling.

As for me, I had a rough day and did not wind up getting my niece for the night. I could try to sneak in something short here at the end, but I hit my wall for this challenge two weeks ago and I'm ready to call it. I managed to knock off quite a few titles from my un-logged list, which was my only objective this year, and that in turn led to me trimming my library by several titles. I'd have rather found I still enjoyed those titles, but c'est la vie.

Shadokitty, ya done good, hoss!
Old 08-31-13, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 122 Likes on 94 Posts

Well, I feel like I had a fairly strong challenge up to the end here. I got a lot of first time watches in and found at least one new movie that is needed in my collection (is on its way!). Repeats were good as well. Most held up to time which is nice! As Travis can vouch, that is not always the case!

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch anything the last couple days as it was my bro's b-day and I went to visit him. We went to the MN State Fair which is huge and had deep friend Twinkies and cheese curds. I think that was worth the trade off, honestly.

Thanks to Shadokitty for hosting! You did a great job!
Old 09-01-13, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
Well, I feel like I had a fairly strong challenge up to the end here. I got a lot of first time watches in and found at least one new movie that is needed in my collection (is on its way!). Repeats were good as well. Most held up to time which is nice! As Travis can vouch, that is not always the case!

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch anything the last couple days as it was my bro's b-day and I went to visit him. We went to the MN State Fair which is huge and had deep friend Twinkies and cheese curds. I think that was worth the trade off, honestly.

Thanks to Shadokitty for hosting! You did a great job!
I feel the same way! I got a lot of animation out of my unwatched pile, including quite a few television box sets. While I didn't get to everything I wanted to, I saw some good first views and finished up Wolf's Rain which is one of my favorite viewing experiences of the year. I need to grapple with some of the films I watched before doing a proper write-up of my month.

I second the thanks to Shadokitty! Kudos!
Old 09-01-13, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I managed to sneak in two Futurama episodes late in order to hit an item count of 100. Wow, it was the hardest thing to get motivated to watch anything, even knowing I only needed 2 to reach 100. I did it though.

Shadokitty, you did great, two months in a row! Thank you!
Old 09-01-13, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 101 Posts

Speedy wants to get the cheese, Sylvester is tasked with guarding it. I get that. The Coyote wants to eat the Roadrunner. I get that. Sylvester wants to eat Tweetie. I get that. But what the hell do Tom and/or Jerry even want? They need counseling.
Ha ha that's funny and so true! Tom & Jerry are probably just sadists. and enjoy inflicting pain on each other.

but I hit my wall for this challenge two weeks ago and I'm ready to call it.
I hit my wall back when we finished The Boondocks so I've just been reading everyone's comments. Doing back-to-back challenges is draining; shadokitty, I don't know how you manged to run back-to-back challenges without a complete and total meltdown. Thanks for hosting this lovely challenge shadokitty, I had a blast.
Old 09-01-13, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed me running this challenge. I was kind of burnt out after running the sci fi challenge, so took a more hands off approach on this one and didn't know if it went over as well. I'll give everyone until Friday to get lists finalized before I draw for prizes.
Old 09-01-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

It was my hope to watch Armored Fleet Dairugger XV for last year's challenge when I completed Beast King Go-Lion but I simply ran out of time. After watching several episodes from my Volume 1 discs a few years ago it was nice to finally complete the series with this year's challenge. I don't remember much about Vehicle Voltron beyond the indestructible mecha formed by the air, sea, and land teams but it was nice to see the original series as intended.

I watched some films that I have not seen in several years like Clash of the Titans, Spirited Away, and The Venus Wars as well as some favorites like My Neighbor Totoro, How to Train Your Dragon, and Wallace & Gromit:  The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Many of my first time viewings for this challenge were various shorts including the wonderfully odd adaptation of The Hobbit from 1966 -- Slag the Terrible!

Thanks shadokitty and everyone for another fun Animation Challenge!
Old 09-01-13, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 185 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Ha ha that's funny and so true! Tom & Jerry are probably just sadists. and enjoy inflicting pain on each other.
They're versatile, because I think a case can also be made they're both masochists as well.

I hit my wall back when we finished The Boondocks so I've just been reading everyone's comments. Doing back-to-back challenges is draining; shadokitty, I don't know how you manged to run back-to-back challenges without a complete and total meltdown. Thanks for hosting this lovely challenge shadokitty, I had a blast.
That was the other thought I should have expressed; I really enjoyed watching Star Trek with LJG765 and The Boondocks with you. I wouldn't necessarily want to do a chat-along for a first time viewing, but for something like those I found it really added to my enjoyment. Plus, I got to know both of you a little better throughout those chats. It's definitely something I'll try to do again in future challenges!
Old 09-02-13, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Decided since it was obvious I wasn't going to fall asleep very well tonight that I may as well squeeze in something else. I decided to re-watch Superman: Doomsday...

The first half hour is some of the most gripping Superman storytelling ever put on screen. Unlike the gratuitous destruction in this year's Man of Steel, there's a palpable urgency to the fight between Superman and Doomsday. We're reminded throughout the fight that there are actual people in Metropolis, whom Superman is desperate to protect. At all times, we are mindful that more is at stake than soulless buildings. This is one key area where this animated feature completely schools Zack Snyder's live action film.
Absolutely. I agree completely with your statements there - and even in the comics that was made abundantly clear. He had to stop Doomsday right then, right there, whatever the cost.

Even in Superman III, it was made clear that Superman was responsible enough to (try to) take the big fights outside the city... so the window-blasting in Returns was annoying enough to me without what I hear about Man of Steel's wanton destruction.
Old 09-02-13, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, when I watch Wile E. Coyote, I know he's the bad guy, but I empathize with him for his persistence in the face of discouraging failures. When I watch Tom and Jerry, though, I have no idea who to root for because they both instigate things all the time. And that's all they do. They rarely seem to have any objective outside of inflicting as much pain on the other as possible.
In other words: "they fight. And fight. And fight and fight and fight. Fight, fight, fight; fight, fight, fight..."

("the Itchy and Scratchy Shooooow!")
Old 09-02-13, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Thanks to everyone who enjoyed me running this challenge. I was kind of burnt out after running the sci fi challenge, so took a more hands off approach on this one and didn't know if it went over as well.
Both approaches worked fine from my perspective. Thanks!

I didn't get to half the things I'd hoped to for two reasons: "miscellaneous circumstances" and King of the Hill. I made it almost to the end of the second-to-last season, and it was really, really good. I really think several episodes would be helpful additions to school curricula in teaching classes on subjects including puberty, bullying, leadership and responsibility. Which is perhaps an odd way of giving praise, but...!

Sadly, the same circumstances have meant I'd have to sit back a bit in commenting and listing, but - running the considerable risk of being branded philistine - I may make last-minute mention that I saw Castle in the Sky for the first time, and did not get the hype. I wound up having to watch it in small chunks over several days, which can't have helped (and objectively may even be the main factor), but I found it hard to follow, not terribly interesting and overly long. Which was a disappointment.

Maybe next year I can give some Miyazaki things the attention I''m told they deserve...

Last edited by ntnon; 09-02-13 at 02:01 AM.
Old 09-02-13, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 234 Posts

In the last 12 days of the Challenge, I only managed to watch three things. My time got taken over by other, more time-specific projects. So I didn't really get to satisfy many goals during this challenge. I did manage to finish two series started in another challenge: EDEN OF THE EAST, which had a particularly disappointing finale, and SOHRYUDEN: LEGEND OF THE DRAGON KINGS, which didn't.

I did manage to see the animated biopic, TATSUMI, one of the more unusual and interesting films I've seen this year--of any genre. Now I have to read the manga that is referenced in it. (I have them all.) Also, I finally managed to watch STARCHASER: THE LEGEND OF ORIN and liked it so much (on VHS) that I ordered the DVD of it from Amazon.
Old 09-02-13, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Also, I finally managed to watch STARCHASER: THE LEGEND OF ORIN and liked it so much (on VHS) that I ordered the DVD of it from Amazon.
I enjoy that movie and also have it on DVD. Obviously, it is strongly influenced by Star Wars, but I don't consider that a bad thing.
Old 09-04-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be losing net access temporarily on the 6th as we are switching ISPs, so will wait till I get my net access back before I draw for prizes. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 09-04-13, 12:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

well my computer completely frizzed out... (I'm currently on a library computer), when and if my computer is fixed expect a rather large list of titles to be included (give it up to old school pen and a paper to listing the latter part of the month and the challenge - wOOt wOOt!!).
Old 09-05-13, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ordered a mobile hotspot this morning after discovering Hughes Net was the only other isp in our area. We had heard terrible reviews of Hughes Net so we didn't want to go with them. Should be delivered beginning of next week and I will draw for prizes then.
Old 09-09-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm back online and will have prize winners drawn by this evening. Sorry for the delay.
Old 09-09-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'm back online and will have prize winners drawn by this evening. Sorry for the delay.
You rock, shadokitty! Congrats on being back online; I can hardly function without my Internet connection.
Old 09-09-13, 10:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

hooray I'm back too.... [crickets chirping] finalizing my list - finally!
Old 09-09-13, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
hooray I'm back too.... [crickets chirping] finalizing my list - finally!
Welcome back Giles
Old 09-09-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
You rock, shadokitty! Congrats on being back online; I can hardly function without my Internet connection.
I know exactly what you mean, I was going through withdrawals the very first day.
Old 09-09-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On a side note, my copy of Challenge of the Superfriends came last week, so I've been watching that off and on, and I also ordered the 2nd set of Superfriends, the first set released that had the Wonder Twins.

Now, for the main attraction, the prizes:

Double feature of Fox and the Hound and Fox and the Hound 2 -wishbone

Balto - Cardsfan111

An American Tail - Greg MacGuffin

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs Combo Pack - Giles

Winners can either PM me or Goldenwheels with their information. Giles, if you wish you can PM me or coyoteblue.

I will give till Friday before I redraw.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.