DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 6th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Guess I hadn't read the OP too carefully and just noticed the change to the "easy" counting method this year. Not trying to be a rebel, but I'll stick with the way we've done it in the past for my list. I like to compare how I'm doing with previous years..
I agree, for the record I like the old counting system better myself. I acknowledge the change and don't want to obstruct anything but should a counting system review be in place at a later time I want to have said my peace against the "everything counts as one" system.
Old 07-01-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Just a quick recommendation/question about a bonus feature to the WDT: Tomorrowland. In it is a great interview (run time ~24 min) with Ray Bradbury. Title is: The Optimistic Futurist: an Interview with Ray Bradbury. It's very interesting. The main focus is, of course, Walt Disney, but along the way they discuss why Sci-fi got so big in the '50s, Bradbury's childhood and other things that do apply to the challenge.

My question is, in the rules it says I can't use this a as a list mark, but can I use this as a checkmark? Particularly the one about Ray Bradbury.

Either way, it was a good watch and am glad I finally did view it.
Old 07-01-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I agree, for the record I like the old counting system better myself. I acknowledge the change and don't want to obstruct anything but should a counting system review be in place at a later time I want to have said my peace against the "everything counts as one" system.
I'll go on record for the old counting system too (yeah, I changed the Comedy Challenge to east counting, but it was only in its second year). I like that for about half the year the Challenges use the "hard counting" system and then switch over to "easy counting" for half a year. Now it's all mixed up.
Old 07-01-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm not running it next year, so whoever runs it, can do whatever counting method floats their boat.
Old 07-01-13, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 664 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Guess I hadn't read the OP too carefully and just noticed the change to the "easy" counting method this year. Not trying to be a rebel, but I'll stick with the way we've done it in the past for my list. I like to compare how I'm doing with previous years. If I remember, I'll try to do an "easy count" total at the end of the month.

One question--I don't usually watch any short films. But why would those be treated differently when counting? Seems odd to say everything counts as one but then to place a restriction on those.
I didn't notice that change either and I've been reading the thread all along! I also just picked up the checklist and noticed several changes from what's in many lists posts.

Like you, I'll keep my list using the "normal" counting method. If required for stats I'll give an "easy count" total at the end but otherwise will not bother.
Old 07-01-13, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
Just a quick recommendation/question about a bonus feature to the WDT: Tomorrowland. In it is a great interview (run time ~24 min) with Ray Bradbury. Title is: The Optimistic Futurist: an Interview with Ray Bradbury. It's very interesting. The main focus is, of course, Walt Disney, but along the way they discuss why Sci-fi got so big in the '50s, Bradbury's childhood and other things that do apply to the challenge.

My question is, in the rules it says I can't use this a as a list mark, but can I use this as a checkmark? Particularly the one about Ray Bradbury.

Either way, it was a good watch and am glad I finally did view it.
I don't see why not.
Old 07-01-13, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I didn't notice that change either and I've been reading the thread all along! I also just picked up the checklist and noticed several changes from what's in many lists posts.

Like you, I'll keep my list using the "normal" counting method. If required for stats I'll give an "easy count" total at the end but otherwise will not bother.
I'm not doing stats, and if ppl want to count using the normal method, as travis says, whatever floats your boat, makes no difference to me.
Old 07-01-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I don't see why not.
Thanks!
Old 07-01-13, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was supposed to go out to the movies tonight. Instead we're watching a Spielberg double feature of the Director's Cut of Close Encounters of the Third Kind and A.I. Artificial Intelligence, both first timers for him. I don't know how many Spielberg movies I'll watch this month but I want to restrict it to ones he never saw before.
Old 07-01-13, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not running it next year, so whoever runs it, can do whatever counting method floats their boat.
Saying you don't want to?
Old 07-01-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 664 Likes on 482 Posts

I'm not doing stats, and if ppl want to count using the normal method, as travis says, whatever floats your boat, makes no difference to me.
Cool!

I started last night with Day of the Triffids (1962), an adaptation of the novel by John Wyndham. A meteor shower leaves all who witness the event blind. Of course there are a few survivors otherwise we'd have no story. Our "hero" was in the hospital with his eyes bandaged (scheduled to come off the next day) and missed the spectactular event so wakes the following day to a whole new world. This is bad enough but the meteor shower brought with it the Triffid, a carnivorous plant which can uproot itself and move about looking for prey. It's a low budget affair with special effects fairly typical of SF "B" films of that time period. In spite of that it's actually a pretty good film with mostly good acting and production values. The plot echoes other SF films but that doesn't stop it from being a fun ride. And yes, like most book adaptations, it takes many liberties with the source material.

I watched the "Cheesy Flix" DVD. While it's the best print I've seen it's not without some issues. The most glaring is Cheesy put their logo on the print during the first 5 or so seconds. There's no reason for this other than to partially "protect" their print (it's in the PD). At least no other bugs/logos show up in the remainder of the film. While it *is* a WS version, it's a flat transfer that is slightly washed out looking. Other than that it's in pretty good shape.
Old 07-01-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Saying you don't want to?
Yeah, I don't want to run it next year.
Old 07-01-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's pretty much the way I felt when I read the comments against changing the Comedy Challenge to "easy counting." It'll get better. Most of us really are easy to get along with.

Sorry if I pissed you off though. That wasn't my intent.
Old 07-01-13, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Today is a momentous occasion. It marks the 15th Anniversary of Armageddon:

http://badassdigest.com/2013/07/01/h...day-armageddon

To celebrate I'll be watching The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension.
Old 07-01-13, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just watched the 2003 remake of the Eye of the Beholder episode of The Twilight Zone on Chiller. It was actually a pretty faithful adaptaion of the original episode with Donna Douglas.
Old 07-01-13, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

Already disillusioned on day 1
Old 07-01-13, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Cool!

I started last night with Day of the Triffids (1962), an adaptation of the novel by John Wyndham. A meteor shower leaves all who witness the event blind. Of course there are a few survivors otherwise we'd have no story. Our "hero" was in the hospital with his eyes bandaged (scheduled to come off the next day) and missed the spectactular event so wakes the following day to a whole new world. This is bad enough but the meteor shower brought with it the Triffid, a carnivorous plant which can uproot itself and move about looking for prey. It's a low budget affair with special effects fairly typical of SF "B" films of that time period. In spite of that it's actually a pretty good film with mostly good acting and production values. The plot echoes other SF films but that doesn't stop it from being a fun ride. And yes, like most book adaptations, it takes many liberties with the source material.
I watched this earlier this year for the B-movie challenge and really enjoyed it. I remember learning that the whole "couple in the lighthouse" storyline was added later which made the wonky paced make sense. I've never read the novel; perhaps I should give it a try.

I got nostalgic and watched Don Bluth's All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989), a pretty non-Disney entry in Bluth's checkered solo career. I had this film on VHS, and I have watched it countless times. The film starts with mutt Charlie (Burt Reynolds) escaping the over-zealous pound only to be quickly snuffed out by Carface, his cigar-smoking business partner. He goes to heaven, but returns to 1930s New Orleans to seek revenge on Carface. This is a Bluth film, so there is a kid (and an orphan to boot), and this one speaks to animals. Like a lot of children's fare of the time, this makes little logical sense, using songs and fast pacing to cover over plot holes (how exactly does heaven and omniscience work) or complete randomness (at one point tribal mice and an alligator suddenly pop up). However, it is a fun fantasy ride and mostly holds up (except for the songs which are not good at all), especially when it comes to the spectacular animation.

Years later, there was a sequel which I never saw, but it was on the disc with the original so I decided to get it out of my unwatched pile. All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 (1996) - we don't even get a cutesy subtitle - is typical sequel fare. Everything gets a downgrade, especially the animation. Backgrounds are done in drastically different style, character design is lazy and unfocused, and the line design features those homogenous thin lines that plagued animation throughout the 90s. Add to this a convoluted plot, the unwarranted demonizing of felines, and songs I cannot remember mere hours after watching, and you get a terrible, forgettable mess. But it's out of my unwatched pile so I will never have to watch it again. Yay silver lining!
Old 07-02-13, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I finished the day by watching The Lost World (1992) and Return to the Lost World (1992), based on the novel be Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Doyle’s novel is one of my favorites, and I’ve seen a few of the other film adaptations as well as the television series. I was introduced to the novel by a friend who first placed a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories into my eager fourteen-year-old hands. I loved the adventure genre and quickly devoured the novel. (I tried to read The Poison Belt, Doyle’s follow up, but didn’t really like it.)

Warning: Spoilers ahead!
Spoiler:
The 1992 adaptation is quite a fun flick and keeps the classic adventure format: a motley expedition strikes out, encounters fantastic things, and returns triumphant (though sometimes the worse for wear). However, there are some interesting changes made. While there is usually a woman added to the expedition in every adaptation, this version adds two: a photographer from a wealthy family and native guide fluent in all the right languages. It is also the only adaptation I’ve encountered that adds a precocious kid to the cast. Also, Lord Roxton is completely missing. While this threw me at first, I quickly acclimated and really enjoyed the way the characters interacted.

John Rhys-Davies plays Challenger with boisterous ill-temperedness, and David Warner is great as the pompous Summerlee. I also loved Tamara Gorski as photographer Jenny, who just does double duty as the resident feminist and environmentalist. Everyone else is good, and my only criticism is that Eric McCormack feels a bit out of place for reasons I cannot quite peg down – perhaps because he will always be Will Truman to me. Despite how good the cast is, I’m not sure if I would recommend the film to people unless they like adventure fiction. The dinosaurs are pretty scarce, and when they do appear, they are unrealistic, rather squishy puppets. They look worse than the doctored lizards from the Irwin Allen adaptation, and that’s saying something!

Now, the sequel is a bit… different. Since the first film uses up all the plot of the original novel, this film presents a completely new story that contrives to get all the expedition members together again. This is done by threatening the Lost World with a industrious scientist hell-bent on finding oil. I would say that the film is anti-industry, but the French scientist is just so over-the-top evil, that I kept forgetting what his plan was. Since the team is going over the same terrain, the plot is less adventure and more problem solving. In a environmental disaster to rival BP’s screw-up, the evil French guy triggers a volcanic eruption that will destroy the plateau and kill everyone if Challenger cannot deus ex machina a solution. The weird thing is that the film just ends after 93 minutes, leaving several big questions unanswered. How will the team make it off of the plateau? What happened to the heavily armed workers stranded on the plateau? Did the evil French guy die? Hell if I know…
Old 07-02-13, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was in the mood to watch some Dairugger, but couldn't locate the DVD case, as it wasn't where I thought it was. So I ended up settling for the dubbed version of Vehicle Voltron instead.
Old 07-02-13, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Today is a momentous occasion. It marks the 15th Anniversary of Armageddon:

http://badassdigest.com/2013/07/01/h...day-armageddon

To celebrate I'll be watching The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane;11750872I got nostalgic and watched Don Bluth's [I
All Dogs Go to Heaven[/I] (1989), a pretty non-Disney entry in Bluth's checkered solo career.
God, I hate that movie. I'm an almost shameless apologist for 90% of every movie I have ever seen, finding redeemable elements in even the most generic tripe, but I have absolutely not one good thing to say about All Dogs Go to Heaven. Not one. The best I could manage is that the character designs and artwork aren't terrible. They don't really wow me in any way, but I don't hate them. That's it.

It's funny; just yesterday I found myself in a conversation about how when I was a kid, McDonald's legitimized movies. Whichever kid movie had the McD's tie-in seemed vetted and trustworthy. All Dogs Go to Heaven's fast food tie-in was at Wendy's. Wendy's! That should have been the red flag. But my baby brother loved dogs. He would watch anything with a dog in it. And so we had to go see All Dogs Go to Heaven.

I get that it's an "anti-Disney" film and that it set out to give us something different. That's a perfectly fine starting point. But at no point did I ever like or care about a single character. I wanted someone to call child protective services to take care of the little girl and when it became obvious that wasn't even a consideration, I pretty much quit caring what became of her, too. The songs are generic, but even worse only snippets of them seem to be performed. It's as though Bluth felt obligated to use songs but had no interest in them so he interrupts them all to get back to the bleak narrative. He shouldn't have even bothered with songs. He showed even less patience with songs in Rock-A-Doodle.

I could go on with my contempt for that film but I really don't want to come off as bashing what anyone else digs. I'm just really bad about keeping my trap shut when it comes to how much I hate that one!
Old 07-02-13, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Regarding the rules changes, it's not very fair to shadokitty to pitch a fit now. The discussion thread started well in advance of yesterday and there was more than ample time for anyone to raise any questions. Counting method is always a point of contention but really, unless there is a prize being awarded based on how much anyone watches - and in this year's challenge, there isn't - what difference does it really make?

One of the things that participating in the Criterion Challenge has really taught me is that I'm not competing with the other participants. I'm competing with myself. Some participants can watch movies where they work. Some have three kids, two jobs, night classes and 90 minutes a week where they can try to squeeze in some viewing. The "Watch 100 Movies in a Month" template that launched the Horror Challenge has pretty well died off as a formal goal because it's simply not practical for a lot of forum members. That's okay.

Because you're competing with yourself, you can choose to go for that 100 Movie threshold if you want. You can choose to restrict yourself only to feature films and eschew all TV content and short films. You can do that and take pride that you've done it old school. I get that. But really, who else will ever know or care that you did? No one. I'm not saying that to be snotty. I'm saying it to make my case that it's liberating to only compete with oneself. And if you're competing with just yourself, it shouldn't bother you how my competition with myself goes.

shadokitty is right to emphasize *content* over technical issues. To that end, I have to say that this year's checklist expansions were all wonderful ideas (and I'm not just saying that become some of them were mine!). Hugo/Nebula Award Winners? Bradbury? These things should have been there all along. And remember, the checklist is always optional. As far as what's eligible for viewing, there haven't been any new exclusions (like we tried with this year's Historical Appreciation Challenge). You can still watch the exact same stuff you could always watch in this challenge.

I don't see any real legitimacy to the few complaints that have been lodged in the last day or so. "Compete with yourself, discuss with the community." That should be the focus of every challenge participant in every challenge we have on this forum, and there's nothing to impede anyone doing that here.
Old 07-02-13, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Travis S. McClain
Regarding the rules changes, it's not very fair to shadokitty to pitch a fit now. The discussion thread started well in advance of yesterday and there was more than ample time for anyone to raise any questions. Counting method is always a point of contention but really, unless there is a prize being awarded based on how much anyone watches - and in this year's challenge, there isn't - what difference does it really make?
Maybe I missed some posts, but I don't think anyone was "pitching a fit." Two people said they were going to continue to use the old counting system in spite of the change (people did that during the Comedy Challenge too, and the sky didn't crash down). And I've already apologized, in case it was my post that pissed him off.
Old 07-02-13, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Travis S. McClain

One of the things that participating in the Criterion Challenge has really taught me is that I'm not competing with the other participants. I'm competing with myself. Some participants can watch movies where they work. Some have three kids, two jobs, night classes and 90 minutes a week where they can try to squeeze in some viewing. The "Watch 100 Movies in a Month" template that launched the Horror Challenge has pretty well died off as a formal goal because it's simply not practical for a lot of forum members. That's okay.

Because you're competing with yourself, you can choose to go for that 100 Movie threshold if you want. You can choose to restrict yourself only to feature films and eschew all TV content and short films. You can do that and take pride that you've done it old school. I get that. But really, who else will ever know or care that you did? No one. I'm not saying that to be snotty. I'm saying it to make my case that it's liberating to only compete with oneself. And if you're competing with just yourself, it shouldn't bother you how my competition with myself goes.

shadokitty is right to emphasize *content* over technical issues. To that end, I have to say that this year's checklist expansions were all wonderful ideas (and I'm not just saying that become some of them were mine!). Hugo/Nebula Award Winners? Bradbury? These things should have been there all along. And remember, the checklist is always optional. As far as what's eligible for viewing, there haven't been any new exclusions (like we tried with this year's Historical Appreciation Challenge). You can still watch the exact same stuff you could always watch in this challenge.

I don't see any real legitimacy to the few complaints that have been lodged in the last day or so. "Compete with yourself, discuss with the community." That should be the focus of every challenge participant in every challenge we have on this forum, and there's nothing to impede anyone doing that here.
Thank you Travis. I'm glad someone understands that I'm trying to do my best as a stand in for Mister Peepers instead of throwing a fit after the challenge had already started.
Old 07-02-13, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Once again I'm sorry I pissed you off. And now I will "throw a fit."

I'm out.
Old 07-02-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Geez, come on people. potato/potahto. It's the moving pictures that matter; the rest is just frou-frou.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.