Reload this Page >

Stanley Kubrick: Limited Edition Collection

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-28-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the last Blu-Ray boxset is OOP but the DVD boxset is still in print.

i need your recommendations if i should go for the DVD boxset or go for the Blu-Ray set.
Old 04-29-13, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Stanley Kubrick: Limited Edition Collection

I have the Blu-Ray set and absolutely love it. The picture on most of the films is very crisp and looks quite good. However, I'm not sure if its worth the outrageous OOP price I'm seeing on Amazon. It has been awhile since I've seen the films on DVD, but I do remember that the DVD of Dr. Strangelove and 2001 looked decent... I'm afraid I'm not being much help... Good luck!
Old 04-29-13, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is there any difference between the content of both sets? come on you guys i need your help!
Old 04-29-13, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You could instead get the UK Boxset which is still in print, although it doesn't include "Dr Strangelove" or "Spartacus", but you can still buy those separately. Also, the UK disc of "The Shining" is the international cut, not the US cut on the US disc.
Old 04-29-13, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Setup an alert for someone to do the blu-ray at a reasonable price. Why buy movies with lower video quality on purpose?
Old 04-29-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a triple feature from WB of 2001, Shining, and Clockwork Orange for $20.

All the other Kubricks on Blu that were in that OOP set can be purchased on their own for $10-$15 each.
Old 05-03-13, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what's the difference between the DVD boxset or the Blu-ray release?
Old 05-03-13, 08:42 AM

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

I have the bluray set, and unless you just have to have the packaging I would either import the UK set and pick up the movies that aren't in it separately or just but the US single discs. The packaging for the US set isn't that great, and the book that comes with it is the kind of thing you would look at once and never pull out a second time.
Old 05-03-13, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by animatedude View Post
what's the difference between the DVD boxset or the Blu-ray release?
Blu-ray is Blu-ray and DVD is DVD. Is there really a chance you will go with DVD because of the package?
Old 05-03-13, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The set is currently unavailable from Amazon, but can be found at many other sellers. You can currently get it from wbshop.com for $114.49 with free shipping: http://www.wbshop.com/product/stanle...ks&from=Search

As for differences between the DVD and BR sets, this Amazon review may sum it up (I don't own either, so don't have a personal opinion):

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1TBW0D...tore=movies-tv

If that's not enough, visit http://www.dvdcompare.net and search for the individual titles or do a director search for Kubrick. I suspect the Amazon review is correct and there are no differences in disk contents, besides the better picture quality.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon received a new batch in the next 1-2 weeks. This is Stanley Kubrick we're talking about, after all. (Although personally, I hate the current BR packaging and wouldn't mind some changes...)

Hope that's what you wanted to know.
Old 05-04-13, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thetao View Post
The set is currently unavailable from Amazon, but can be found at many other sellers. You can currently get it from wbshop.com for $114.49 with free shipping: http://www.wbshop.com/product/stanle...ks&from=Search

As for differences between the DVD and BR sets, this Amazon review may sum it up (I don't own either, so don't have a personal opinion):

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1TBW0D...tore=movies-tv

If that's not enough, visit http://www.dvdcompare.net and search for the individual titles or do a director search for Kubrick. I suspect the Amazon review is correct and there are no differences in disk contents, besides the better picture quality.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon received a new batch in the next 1-2 weeks. This is Stanley Kubrick we're talking about, after all. (Although personally, I hate the current BR packaging and wouldn't mind some changes...)

Hope that's what you wanted to know.

thanks
Old 05-04-13, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also the DVD set does NOT come with the bonus discs for each title so you'll be missing out on a lot of bonus features.
Old 05-08-13, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by manicsounds View Post
Also the DVD set does NOT come with the bonus discs for each title so you'll be missing out on a lot of bonus features.
this is the answer i wanted to know....unfortunately now i want to order the set from the above warner bros store link shows it doesn't exist anymore.
Old 05-12-13, 02:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dug around and there's currently a single 10-disk copy on EBay for $129.20 (a sale, not an auction...but the box is dented). I also found a single copy in Canada, but the merchant doesn't ship to the USA. They do seem to have largely disappeared unless you can find one at a local Best Buy/B&N/Books-A-Million/etc. (There appears to be one at the local B&N for the not-so-sweet price of $148.99.)

Personally, I still think a Kubrick set is such a good idea that another set (or more of this version) is just around the corner. And while the 10-disk set is gone, thoughtful buys of the individual titles doesn't appear to be substantially more expensive than the $114.49 that WB was asking. Then you get the Clockwork Orange "book packaging" (content not available with the box set methinks) and avoid that (IMHO) nasty cardboard-rubbing-laser-side packaging of the full set.
Old 05-24-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

apparently, DVDempire have some IN STOCK, i ordered earlier today and in less than two hours my order was shipped!!!

i ordered hundreds of DVDs online in the last 13 years i never had an order shipped in less than two hours lol!

http://www.dvdempire.com/1567007/sta...n-blu-ray.html
Old 05-29-13, 03:46 PM

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

I saw a copy at Barnes and Noble during my lunch break. I didn't ask how much it was, but they are doing the 40% off bluray sale right now. It's probably still more than I paid for it when I got it from Amazon.