Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fourth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge - May 1-31, 2013 **List Thread**

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Fourth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge - May 1-31, 2013 **List Thread**

my list. here and here and...

I'm going to do an Iberian and Latin American (including Caribbean) challenge. Now with Asia too!
My rules will be:

1. A film that is from any of these countries and in its native language
2. films that are from out of the country but that take place entirely in one of these countries i.e. Turistas, Man On Fire, Girl from Rio, Westerns based on the Mexican Revolution or before the Mexican-American War (so old Mexican territory)
3. Film from one of these countries but not on the countries native languages due to dubbing or intentionally done in another language but with at least 70% crew from native contry. i.e. Kovak Box
4. TV shows are allowed if completely from one of these countries and in native language i.e. Epitafios
5. Concerts are allowed if longer that 60 minutes and by musician from one of these countries or foreign musicians in concert in one of these countries.
6. Territories are considered autonomous so a movie from France or the UK would not count unless one of the rules above applies
7. documentaries about a one of these countries or person/s from these countries allowed with no location restrictions.
<hr size=1 width=80%>
2013 edition to include Asian films. Rules above apply.
1A. Political map of Asia to be used to determine elegiblilty
<hr size=1 width=50% align="left">
<hr size=1 width=50% align="left">

May 3rd
1. Okatsu The Fugitive (Japan)

May 5th
2. Carancho (Argentina)
3. El Calentito (Spain)
4. Correccional de Mujeres (Argentina)

May 11th
5. The First Night of My Life (Spain)
6. Nosotros La Musica (Cuba)

May 12th
7. El lado oscuro del corazon (Argentina)
8. El lado oscuro del corazon 2 (Argentina)

Last edited by BuddhaWake; 05-14-13 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-29-13, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: The Fourth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge - May 1-31, 2013 **List Thread**

2013 clean off my hard drive challenge
Goal: 100gb of memory deleted at the end
Total:11.49/100

May 1st
Starting Memory:863Gb
1. New Girl "Fluffer"
2. New Girl "Neighbors"
3. New Girl "Models"
4. New Girl "Halloween"
5. New Girl "Menzies"
6. New Girl "Parents"
7. New Girl "Eggs"
8. New Girl "Bathtub"
9. New Girl "Santa"
10.New Girl "Cabin'
11.New Girl "A fathers Love"
12.New Girl "Pepperwood"
13.New Girl "Cooler"
14.New Girl "Table 34"
Deleted: 3.45 GB
May 2nd
Starting Memory:861
15. New Girl "Parking Spot"
16. New Girl "Tin Finity"
17. New Girl "Chicago"
18. New Girl "First Date"
19. New Girl "Bacherlotte Party"
20. New Girl "Virgins"
21. Two Broke Girls "And the Broken Hip"
22. Dead Ringers(1988, Cronenberg)7/10
Deleted: 3.49 GB
May 3rd
23. Two Broke Girls "And Not So Sweet Charity"
24. Two Broke Girls "And the temporary Distraction"
25. Two Broke Girls "And the Big Hole"
26. Two Broke Girls "And the worst Selfie Ever"
27. Two Broke Girls "And the Extra Work"
28. Fresh Meat "S01E05"
29. Fresh Meat "S01E06"
Deleted:2.96 GB
May 4th
30. Hannibal "Amuse-Bouche"
31. Hannibal "Potage"
May 5th
32. 30 Rock "Game Over"
33. 30 Rock "Florida"
34. 30 Rock "A Goon's Deed in a Weary World"
35. 30 Rock "Hogcock/Last Lunch"
Deleted:2.04 GB
May 6th- May 31st
The Office S9E2-S9E23
Dexter S7E7-S7E12
Fresh Meat S1E7-S2E3
Copper S1E6 and S1E7
Mama
Maniac
The ABC's of Death(2012,Various)4/10
5/6-5/31 totaled deleted 20.3 GB
Total for whole challeneg: 32.44 GB

Last edited by Darkgod; 05-31-13 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-29-13, 08:03 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

80's MOVIE CHALLENGE

* First Time Viewing

May 2
1. Bachelor Party (1984) *

May 3
2. Three O' Clock High (1987)

May 6
3. Breakin' (1984)

May 8
4. Beat Street (1984)

May 9
5. Style Wars (1983)
6. Wild Style (1983)

May 10
7. Pee Wee's Big Adventure (1985)

May 15
8. Streets of Fire (1984)

May 24
9. Mask (1985)

May 27
10. La Bamba (1987)

May 28
11. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

May 31
12. Top Gun (1986) *
13. Gremlins (1984)

Last edited by Bladz; 06-01-13 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-30-13, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Myoc

* First time viewing
* First time Marilyn movie viewing

Okay, I'm in. It can't be a big challenge right after the April one, so I'm going to go with "Chronological Marilyn". I've collected pretty much all of her movies over the years so I really should get around to watching more than the two or three I've seen up to now. I'll do them in order as best I can, except where I have to source the odd one from somewhere else. Maybe I'll find a few docs on her as well...(good conspiracy stuff, if I can find it).

May 1:
1. Norma Jean and Marilyn (1996) (my DVD) - Very disappointing start. This biopic makes Marilyn out to be a stark raving, schizophrenic lunatic. She didn't have a perfect life, or even mental state, but come on! Terrible disservice to a tragic life. I've got to be able to find a better one than this.
2. Ladies of the Chorus (1948) * (YouTube) - Marilyn's first big role. Nice little film for sure. Marilyn Sings!

May 2:
3.The Asphalt Jungle (1950) (library DVD) - Since I couldn't get my hands on a decent copy of The Marx Brothers' Love Happy, I moved on to this MGM film noir. It's a small role for her, but she is extremely noticeable here as the rising blonde bombshell.

May 3:
4.Home Town Story (1951) (my DVD) - Actually a propaganda film made for General Motors by MGM to show how wonderful it is for big corporations to make huge profits! Did you know we profit because they profit? Somehow I don't think it is proportional. Anyway, Marilyn made this movie while waiting for The Asphalt Jungle to be released. It was not released theatrically until about 12 years later, in Australia, just because Marilyn was in it. Anyway, she is only in it briefly, but again stands out from everyone else, while thwarting the advances of the Skipper from Giligan's Island.
5. Right Cross (1950) * (YouTube) - Another VERY brief appearance getting hit on by a reporter (hmmm, the Skipper was a reporter in the last movie too!). Clever double entendre about spaghetti though! Anyway, this one starred a young (was he ever young?) Ricardo Montalban as a boxer. I really liked it actually. Some good boxing sequences.

May 4:
(2010) * (YouTube) - TV biography of Marilyn done by people who love/loved her. Interviews with costars and photographers, etc. Nice loving tribute.
7. All About Eve (1950) (my DVD) - The one that got Marilyn noticed and caused 20th Century Fox to offer her another contract. Again, not a lengthy part, but to outshine Bette Davis is no easy feat!
- also watched special feature: back story: All About Eve 25 min. TV doc

May 5:
8. As Young as You Feel (1951) (my DVD) - Her first part under her new Fox contract. And her screen time is about 6 minutes in a 76 minute movie! Even though she is a secretary again, she really gets to ham it up this time, sticking her tongue out at her boss and throwing a little tantrum. It was great! Nice little movie, too, about a gentleman forced to retire who impersonates the president of the parent company to get his job back. Hi-jinx ensues! No special features on this disc. Just trailers.
9. Love Nest (1951) * (my DVD) - Slight decline in exposure (only in one way though!) for Marilyn. about 4:20 of screen time, but about 30 seconds of that is in a pretty nice bathing suit (for the 50s anyway). Her role is much more insignificant than it was in the last one though... just an excuse for a little marital jealousy. Not much point to this little comedy, and if Marilyn had not been in it, I doubt it would be remembered at all today.

DNQ: Iron Man Three (2013) * (IMAX 3D) - could not come up with a connection to Marilyn, unfortunately.

May 6:
10. Let's Make It Legal (1951) * (my DVD) - Little comedy about a divorced woman being stalked and harassed by her ex husband while her conniving daughter tries manipulating everyone, including her own husband, so she doesn't have to get her lazy butt out of bed to care for her own baby. Hilarious, right?! Only 2:20 of Marilyn and no bikini this time. Extremely forgettable and a very slight part for M. Next!

May 7:
11. Clash By Night (1952) * (library DVD) - Wow! What a surprise! Fritz Lang directs this, and M gets forth billing and about 13:30 screen time! Big step up, and no forgettable comedy this time. A serious role in a serious movie. Made after signing her new 7 year deal with Fox, but she was loaned to RKO for this one. She's now making about 500 a week.

May 8:
12. We're Not Married! (1952) * (my DVD) - Cute little movie basically made up of 5 separate stories of how different couples deal with finding out their marriages aren't legal. Marilyn's segment is short (about 6 minutes or so) but cute. Some of the other couples are interesting as well.
13a. Blonde (Part 1) (2001) * (my DVD) - TV miniseries that distinctly says "Even though this story contains real people, it is a work of fiction.." Doesn't exactly instill confidence in the historical events portrayed! Anyway, I think I know enough that I can weed out the bogus stuff. Besides, it stars Poppy Montgomery as Marilyn, so it can't be all bad!

May 9:
13b. Blonde (Part 2) (2001) * (my DVD) - Second part of TV miniseries. A lot of inaccuracies for sure, but not quite as mean spirited to Marilyn as Norma Jean and Marilyn was. I loved her first dates/conversations with Joe DiMaggio and Arthur Miller. At least you could see why these men fell I love with her. Stupid how they made up relationships that never happened though. Clearly ran out of time and had to skip the Kennedy years though.
14. Don't Bother to Knock (1952) (my DVD) - This was the first MM movie I ever saw. I think it is great! It's her first starring role and she does well in a very serious role as an unstable girl given too much responsibility too soon. It's a "Marilyn Must See" as far as I'm concerned. Didn't bother to time her screen time. She's in the whole movie.

May 10:
15. O. Henry's Full House (1952) * (library DVD) - Not much Marilyn at all (about 1:20), but an extremely enjoyable movie! Five separate short stories by O. Henry are portrayed, of which MM is in the first. Each was interesting and, in a few cases, unpredictable (at least to me!).
16. Marilyn Monroe: Beyond the Legend (1987) * (library DVD) - Very nice documentary. Lots of great video clips and photos. Definitely recommend this one.

May 11:
17. Monkey Business (1952) (my DVD) - Very fun Howard Hawks comedy starring Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers. Marilyn has about 11 minutes of screen time and is adorable of course... So's the monkey!
18. Niagara (1953) (my DVD) - Oh yes! This is the one! Every time I see it, I love it more! Such a great setting too. 1950's Niagara Falls, Canada. MM gets top billing and totally carries this movie. Amazing that this is the only movie where she plays a villain, unless you count Don't Bother to Knock. Anyway, you can't go wrong if this is your first Marilyn movie either. Marilyn Sings!

May 12:
19. Love Happy (1949) * (my new DVD ripped and watched on iPod) - A Marx Brothers movie in which MM appears for about 0:40. MM aside, who is worth every one of those 40 seconds by the way, I had no idea the Marx Brothers were so funny! I will definitely watch more! (Had to watch this one out of order due to availability.)
20. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) * (library Blu-ray) - Stunning on Blu-ray! I played a bit of my DVD after for comparison, and wow!, the BD blows away the DVD by far. Help me resist the urge to replace all my MM DVDs with BD! Anyway, believe it or not, this was my first viewing of this film! No joke! It really is quite entertaining and when MM is on the screen you don't even notice Jane Russell. When Jane performs alone though, she's quite good too! Marilyn Sings!

May 13:
21. How to Marry a Millionaire (1953) * (my DVD) - First movie ever in "CinemaScope" and they really took advantage of it. You can tell they were showing it off. The picture hasn't aged well though. I wonder if the Blu-ray is much better. Funny seeing Betty Grable play a dummer blonde than Marilyn!
22. River of No Return (1954) * (my DVD) - Marilyn in the gold rush days, filmed in Banff! Rafting down the Bow. Barely an hour from here. Cool! Marilyn Sings!

May 14:
23. There's No Business Like Show Business (1954) * (my DVD) - Well, it may be short on story, and Ethel Merman gets annoying quickly, but the musical numbers are fantastic! I love tap dancing and this thing is full of it! The dancing statues are great, and I'm pretty sure Dr. Who stole the idea for the weeping angel episodes! Now, my beef is waiting 28 minutes to get to Marilyn! and... Marilyn Sings!
24. The Seven Year Itch (1955) (my DVD) - Here it is! The pinnacle MM movie! "The Girl", skirt blowing over her head and everything, helps a man realize how much he loves his wife. "Maybe it's Marilyn Monroe!" he says! Clever!
- also watched special feature: back story: Seven Year Itch 25 min. TV doc

May 15:
25. Bus Stop (1956) * (my DVD) - What did I just watch? Was that really Marilyn Monroe? I heard that this was her best work acting but that is a HUGE understatement! I just can't get over how good she was in this! No wonder she was fighting with the studio for better roles. Whatever she did for that year in New York at The Actors Studio paid off here! Too bad the male lead was such an annoying moron. I wished he had been trampled by a bull half way through the movie. Not only that, but... Marilyn Sings! (poorly on purpose)

May 16:
26. My Week With Marilyn (2011) (my BD) - biopic covering the making of The Prince and the Showgirl. Amazing how much better I understand it after this month of researching.
27. The Prince and the Showgirl (1957) (my DVD) - The end results. Nice movie, but now my expectations are high after Bus Stop, but at least... Marilyn Sings! (part of one song anyway)

May 17:
28. Some Like It Hot (1959) (my BD) - The classic comedy felt by many to be the funniest movie of all time and certainly the funniest closing line ever! Jack Lemmon is a riot in this, and Tony Curtis doing his best Clark Gable is also fabulous! Marilyn definitely holds her own with these two yahoos as well! Very enjoyable to see this again. If you've not seen it run, don't walk, wherever you have to and see it now! And to top it all off.... Marilyn Sings!

May 18:
29. Let's Make Love (1960) * (my DVD) - Kind of went into this one blind. Didn't really know much about it and I had fallen behind in my reading so I really didn't know what to expect. I liked it more than I expected to. Cute little story, no real meat. Nothing new, that's for sure and a story that's been done a million times. It okay though. Some nice cameos for the time it was made, that's for sure. I was surprised to see Milton Berle suddenly on the screen, and Yves says, after being disappointed by him, "and 4 million people call you Uncle?" Anyway, having gone in blind, I was unaware that, here too... Marilyn Sings!

May 19: Star Trek Day!
DNQ: Star Trek (2009) (my BD) - If anyone can come up with a connection to MM, please let me know!
DNQ: Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) * (IMAX 3D) - ditto!

May 20:
30. The Misfits (1961) * (my DVD) - I was caught off guard by the fact that this movie was shot in black and white. Nothing I had seen, heard or read up to this point gave that impression. Regardless of that, Marilyn, in her last completed film, is stunning. The story was peculiar but held my interest. Very interesting sequences involving "modern day" cowboys doing what amounts to Mustang hunting. Sad to think this was the end of the road for her.
31. Marilyn Monroe: The Final Days (2001) (my DVD) - Includes the unfinished Something's Got To Give Excellent documentary covering the tumultuous last months of Marilyn's life during the attempts to make her final movie. Treated with the utmost care, poor Marilyn's final anguish is described sympathetically by all the participants, despite the real frustrations they felt at the time. Well worth the time of anyone interested in Marilyn.

May 22:
32. Insignificance (1985) (library BD) - Totally fictional story about a scenario where MM meets, and spends the night with, Albert Einstein while she's married to Joe DiMaggio ("The Ballplayer", even on his baseball card) and filming The Seven Year Itch. It also includes Joseph MacCarthy ("The Senator") with a Marilyn fetish and on the commy warpath for AE. None of them are referred to by their real names, or any names at all really. Interesting to see "The Actress" explain the theory of relativity to AE ("The Professor"). The story really gives her intelligence. Theresa Russell looks great, but is not a convincing Monroe. Anyway, it's good enough to be in the Criterion Collection, so enough said.

May 23:
33a. Smash: Season One (2012) * (library DVD)
Disc 1
Episode 1: Pilot
Episode 2: The Callback
Episode 3: Enter Joe DiMaggio
Episode 4: The Cost of Art

May 24:
33b. Smash: Season One (2012) * (library DVD)
Disc 2
Episode 5: Let's Be Bad
Episode 6: Chemistry
Episode 7: The Workshop
Episode 8: The Coup

May 25:
33c. Smash: Season One (2012) * (library DVD)
Disc 3
Episode 09: Hell on Earth
Episode 10: Understudy
Episode 11: The Movie Star
Episode 12: Publicity
Disc 4
Episode 13: Tech
Episode 14: Previews
Episode 15: Bombshell

May 26:
34. Smash: Season Two (2013) * (on-line)
Episode 01: Broadway
Episode 02: Fallout

DONE!!!

June 03:
Bonus: Move Over, Darling (1963) * (my DVD) - Since I just got this in the mail today, I am going to add it as a bonus selection. This was the movie that Marilyn was making when she died. It was made a couple years later with a new cast, including Doris Day and James Garner. Interesting to see the different ways of presenting the material between the two actresses. A very enjoyable movie.

First Viewings (Marilyn movies only) * : 15 BioPics/Docs: 6 Marilyn Sings!: 9

Last edited by pacaway; 04-19-17 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-30-13, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

With unlimited Wildcards so long as they are viewed with the wife.

Black = DVD
Blue = Blu-Ray
Green = Theater
* = FTV
* = Watched with wife

May 1st
1). I Worship His Shadow (1997)
2). Super Nova (1997)
3). Eating Pattern (1997)

May 2nd
4). Giga Shadow (1997)
4.5-8). Lexx S02E01-08 (1998-1999)
9). I Love You, Man (2009)*

May 3rd
9.5). Lexx S02E09 (1999)

May 4th
10-13). Lexx S02E10-16 (1999)

May 5th
13.5-15). Lexx S02E17-20 (1999)
16). Black Sunday (1977)**

May 6th
16.5-17). Lexx S03E01-02 (2000)

May 7th
17.5-18). Lexx S03E03-04 (2000)
19). The Makioka Sisters (1983)**

May 8th
19.5-20.5). Lexx S03E05-07 (2000)
21.5). Iron Man 3 (2013)**

May 9th
22-24.5). Lexx S03E08-13 (2000)
24). Lexx S04E01 (2001)
25). ATM (2012)**

May 10th
25.5-26). Lexx S04E02-03 (2001)

May 11th
26.5). Lexx S04E04 (2001)

May 12th
27-28.5). Lexx S04E05-08 (2001)

May 13th
29-32). Lexx S04E09-15 (2001-2002)

May 14th
32.5-33). Lexx S04E16-17 (2002)
34). Sleepwalking (2007)**

May 15th
34.5-36). Lexx S04E18-21 (2002)

May 16th
36.5-37). Lexx S04E22-23 (2002)
38). New York Stories (1989)**

May 16th
38.5). Lexx S04E24 (2002)

Fin

Last edited by SterlingBen; 05-17-13 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-30-13, 10:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2010: Unwatched (Own/Netflix) TV on DVD Challenge

Sports Challenge
Emphasis on Baseball, but other sports count to, especially want to work on this list iCheck Sports list

May 1st
1. Giants at Diamondbacks {W}

May 3rd
2. Dodgers at Giants {W}

May 4th
3. Dodgers at Giants {W}

May 5th
4. Dodgers at Giants {W}

May 6th
5. Phillies at Giants {L}

May 7th
6. Phillies at Giants {L}

May 9th
7. Braves at Giants {L}

May 10th
8. Braves at Giants {W}

May 11th
9. Braves at Giants {W}

May 12th
10. Braves at Giants {W}
11. Trouble with the Curve (2012)*
12. Bad News Bears (1976)*

May 13th
13. Eight Men Out (1988)*

May 14th
14. Giants at Blue Jays {L}

May 15th
15. Giants at Blue Jays {L}

May 16th
16. Giants at Rockies {W}

May 17th
17. Giants at Rockies {L}

May 18th
18. Giants at Rockies {L}

May 19th
19. Giants at Rockies {L}
20. Field of Dreams (1989)*

May 20th
21. Bull Durham (1988)*
22. Nationals at Giants {W}

May 21st
23. Nationals at Giants {W}

May 23rd
24. The Pride of the Yankees (1942)*

May 24th
24. Rockies at Giants {L}

May 25th
25. Rockies at Giants {W}
26. Major League (1989)*

May 26th
27. Rockies at Giants {W}

May 27th
28. Giants at Athletics {L}

May 28th
29. Giants at Athletics {L}

May 29th
30. Athletics at Giants {L}

May 30th
31. Green Street Hooligans (2005)*

May 31st
32. The Rookie (2002)*

Last edited by HyperWeather; 03-08-14 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-01-13, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Alright. I'll go for my 3rd icheckmovies challenge. *All will be 1st-time viewings, as usual*

1st:
1. He Who Gets Slapped (1924) (#50 Top 100 Silent Films, #45 1920s, #29 Have You Seen? A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films)
2. Elf (2003) (#443 All-Time Worldwide Box office)
3. It Happens Every Spring (1949) (#109 Ain't Nobody's Blues But My Own)
-------------------
2nd:
4. Yo Yo (1965) (#752 The Criterion Collection, #248 Ain't Nobody's Blues But My Own)
5. Chelsea Girls (1966) (#309 They Shoot Pictures, Dont They?, #668 Have You Seen? A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films)
6. Moonfleet (1955) (#32 Cahiers du cinéma 100, #631 They Shoot Pictures, Dont They?, #425 Cahiers du cinéma-Yearly Top 10s, #387 Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films)
-------------------
3rd:
7. Iron Man 3 (2013) (#26 2010s, #36 Sci Fi, #113 All-Time Worldwide Box office)
8. Salt of the Earth (1954) (#378 Doubling The Canon, #398 National Film Registry, #746 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, #394 Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films, #124 Harvard University's Suggested Film Viewing list: Narrative Films)
-------------------
4th:
9. Chicken Little (2005) (#285 All-Time Worldwide Box office)
-------------------
5th:
10. Love and Death (1975) (#301 Empire 500, #510 The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made, #675 Doubling The Canon)
11. Thérèse Raquin (1953) (#464 Have You Seen? A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films, #32 Akira Kurosawa's A Dream is a Genius)
12. Dark Shadows (2012) (#396 All-Time Worldwide Box office)
13. Tillie's Punctured Romance (1914) (#4 Have You Seen? A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films, #32 1910s)
-------------------
6th:
14. Paris Is Burning (1990) (#79 100 Documentary Films, #106 Harvard University's Suggested Film Viewing list: Narrative Films)
15. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984) (#14 Animation, #21 Sci Fi, #31 Fantasy, #33 1980s, #39 Action, #235 Top 250, #218 Reddit Top 250, #227 Doubling The Canon, #22 Kinema Junpo Top 100 Japanese Movies)
-------------------
7th:
16. Three Comrades (1938) (#208 Have You Seen? A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films, #895 The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made)
17. Minnie and Moskowitz (1971) (#558 The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made, #1030 Doubling The Canon)
18. Nil by Mouth (1997) (#21 100 British Films, #97 BFI 100)
-------------------
8th:
19. The Loves of a Blonde (1965) (#61 Academy Award Best Foriegn Language Film Nominees, #94 The 100 Best Films of World Cinema, #147 The Criterion Collection, #186 Harvard University's Suggested Film Viewing list: Narrative Films, #517 The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made, #640 They Shoot Pictures, Dont They?, #656 Have You Seen? A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films, #363 Amos Vogel's Film as a Subversive Art, #656 Halliwell's Top 1000: The Ultimate Movie Countdown)
20. Deep Impact (1998) (#220 All-Time Worldwide Box office)
-------------------
9th:
21. Purple Noon (1960) (#50 Akira Kurosawa's A Dream is a Genius, #106 Times' 100 Best French Films, #456 Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films, #569 Have You Seen? A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films, #744 The Criterion Collection, #1006 They Shoot Pictures, Dont They?)
22. Witness to Murder (1954) (#245 250 Quintessential Noir Films)
23. Perfect (1985) (#65 Quentin Tarantino's Coolest Movies of All Time)
-------------------
10th:
24. Black Girl (1966) (#24 Guide to African Cinema, #174 Harvard University's Suggested Film Viewing list: Narrative Films, #535 Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films, #608 They Shoot Pictures, Dont They?)
25. 31/75: Asyl (1975) (#4 Brief Encounters)
26. A Movie (1958) (#10 Brief Encounters, #295 National Film Registry, #890 They Shoot Pictures, Dont They?, #364 Amos Vogel's Film as a Subversive Art)
27. La notte (1961) (#92 Masters of Cinema, #382 Amos Vogel's Film as a Subversive Art, #414 Cahiers du cinéma-Yearly Top 10s, #584 Have You Seen? A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films, #606 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, #265 They Shoot Pictures, Dont They?, #10 Berlin International Film Festival - Golden Bears)
-------------------
11th:
28. There's Always Tomorrow (1956) (#117 Masters of Cinema, #190 Doubling The Canon)
29. Entrapment (1999) (#476 All-Time Worldwide Box office)
30. A Noite (1999) (#11 Brief Encounters)
31. The Suitor (1962) (#761 The Criterion Collection)
-------------------
12th:
32. The Reckless Moment (1949) (#174 250 Quintessential Noir Films, #294 Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films, #386 Have You Seen? A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films, #710 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, #969 They Shoot Pictures, Dont They?)
33. Hold Me While I'm Naked (1966) (#77 Brief Encounters, #395 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die)
34. House of Sand (2005) (#61 Cinema Tropical - Top Ten Latin American Films of the Decade)
35. Song Without End (1960) (#31 Golden Globe Best Picture Winners)
-------------------
13th:
36. Early Summer (1951) (#421 They Shoot Pictures, Dont They?, #296 Halliwell's Top 1000: The Ultimate Movie Countdown, #271 The Criterion Collection, #185 iCheckMovies - Most Favorite, #114 Kinema Junpo Top 100 Japanese Movies, #98 Top 100 Spiritually Significant Films)
37. American Gigolo (1980) (#827 Have You Seen? A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films)
-------------------
14th:
38. Wavelength (1967) (#14 Top 100 Canadian Films, #246 Brief Encounters, #562 Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films, #576 Amos Vogel's Film as a Subversive Art, #213 They Shoot Pictures, Dont They?)
39. Stage Door (1937) (#81 Academy Award Best Picture Nominees, #191 Have You Seen? A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films, #819 The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made, #858 Doubling The Canon, #1004 Halliwell's Top 1000: The Ultimate Movie Countdown)
40. The River (1938) (#16 Harvard University's Suggested Film Viewing list: Narrative Films, #228 Brief Encounters, #388 National Registry)
41. Shark Attack 3: Megalodon (2002) (#198 Badmovies.org Best B-Movies)
-------------------
15th:
42. Bee Movie (2007) (#312 All-Time Worldwide Box office)
43. The Lonedale Operator (1911) (#28 Harvard University's Suggested Film Viewing list: Narrative Films, #218 Brief Encounters)
-------------------
16th:
44. The Owl and the Pussycat (1970) (#436 Amos Vogel's Film as a Subversive Art)
45. Raw Deal (1948) (#48 A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, #173 250 Quintessential Noir Films, #366 Have You Seen? A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films, #610 Doubling The Canon)
46. Intouchables (2011) (#3 Biography, #4 2010s, #4 Comedy, #24 Drama, #62 Top 250, #68 FOK! Top 250, #70 iCheckMovies - Most Favorites, #174 All-Time Worldwide Box office)
-------------------
17th:
47. Scotch Hop (1953) (#178 Brief Encounters)
48. Fuji (1974) (#156 National Film Registry)
49. Night Mail (1936) (#15 Harvard University's Suggested Film Viewing list: Narrative Films, #137 Brief Encounters)
50. Jam Session (1942) (#222 National Film Registry)
-------------------
18th:
51. Pistol Opera (2001) (#999 Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films)
-------------------
19th:
52. Babel (2006) (#124 Golden Globe Best Picture Winners, #307 Roger Ebert:The Movies, #453 Academy Award Best Picture Nominees)
53. Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here (1969) (#868 The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made)
54. Czechoslovakia 1918-1968 (1969) (#85 National Film Registry)
-------------------
20th:
55. Moonrise Kingdom (2012) (#35 2010s, #93 iCheckMovies - Most Favorites, #104 The 21st Century's Most Acclaimed Films, #110 Reddit top 250)
56. Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) (#7 2010s, #14 Sci-Fi, #21 Action, #26 Adventure, #161 Top 250)
57. Prizzi's Honor (1985) (#83 Golden Globe Best Picture Winners, #351 Academy Award Best Picture Nominees, #689 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, #689 The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made)
-------------------
21st:
58. The Mortal Storm (1940) (#237 Have You Seen? A Personal Introduction to 1,000 Films, #567 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, #579 The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made)
-------------------
22nd:
59. Brave (2012) (#100 All-Time Worldwide Box office)
60. In the Street (1948) (#35 Harvard University's Suggested Film Viewing list: Narrative Films, #213 National Film Registry)
-------------------
23rd:
61. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (2012) (#49 All-Time Worldwide Box office)
62. The Bedford Incident (1965) (#422 501 Must-See Movies, #952 Halliwell's Top 1000: The Ultimate Movie Countdown)
-------------------
24th:
63. The Kid Brother (1927) (#41 1920s, #74 Top 100 Silent Films, #449 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die, #542 Halliwell's Top 1000: The Ultimate Movie Countdown, #621 Doubling The Canon)
64. Fucking Åmål (1998) (#7 Guldbagge Award, FOK! Top 250, #713 Doubling The Canon)
-------------------
25th:
65. A La Mode (1960) (#4 Amos Vogel's Film as a Subversive Art)
66. The Song of Ceylon (1934) (#10 Harvard University's Suggested Film Viewing list: Narrative Films, #230 Brief Encounters)
67. The Sound of Fury (1950) (#228 250 Quintessential Noir Films, #310 Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films, #400 Doubling The Canon)
-------------------
26th:
68. Le Grand Amour (1969) (#764 The Criterion Collection)
69. The War of the Roses (1989) (#954 The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made)
70. Anemic Cinema (1926) (#23 Amos Vogel's Film as a Subversive Art)
-------------------
27th:
71. Shark Tale (2004) (#273 All-Time Worldwide Box office)
72. The City (1939) (#20 Harvard University's Suggested Film Viewing list: Narrative Films, #69 National Film Registry)
-------------------
28th:
73. The Lower Depths (1937) (#269 The Criterion Collection, #1000 Doubling The Canon)
-------------------
29th:
74. Black Angel (1946) (#18 250 Quintessential Noir Films)
-------------------
30th:
75. Forty Shades of Blue (2005) (#26 Sundance Film Festival - Grand Jury Prize)

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 05-30-13 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-01-13, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

After little deliberation and far too many thoughts and ideas that sounded better as theories than viable possibilities, I've decided to go with a Challenge that is slightly complicated, but essentially formulated to have me watch Star Trek: Voyager and some other things, if there's time. So I've decided to define it by letters in the titles of the things I will/intend to watch.

The ESTY (S, T) Challenge

TV episodes and films that begin (or end) with "ST," "S" or "T".
(With an option on titles containing "S--" words or the double "ss" sound.)

May 1st
  • 001Plan 9 From Outer Space (1956) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 002 Star Trek: Voyager - Season 5, Episode 2 "Drone" - Amazon Instant Video
  • 003 ☼? Star Trek: Voyager - Season 5, Episode 3 "Extreme Risk" - Amazon Instant Video
  • 004Star Trek: Voyager - Season 5, Episode 4 "In the Flesh" - Amazon Instant Video
  • 005Star Trek: Voyager - Season 5, Episode 5 "Once Upon a Time" - Amazon Instant Video
  • 006Sherlock - Series 1, Episode 1 "A Study in Pink" - Amazon Instant Video

May 2nd
  • 007Spies Like Us (1985) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 008 Maid Marian and Her Merry Men - Series 4, Episode 6 "The Nice Sumatran" - R2 Complete Series 4 DVD
  • 009Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 010Seven Chances (1925) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 011Amazon Original Pilots: Onion News Empire - Pilot - Amazon Instant Video
  • 012Amazon Original Pilots: Browsers - Pilot - Amazon Instant Video

May 3rd

May 4th
  • 013Jake and the Neverland Pirates - Season 2, Episode 19b "Jake's Cool New Matey" - TV
  • 014Sofia the First - Season 1, Episode 2 "The Big Sleepover" - TV
  • 015Safe (2012) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 016 Mary Poppins (1964) - R2 DVD
  • 017 Superman Returns (2006) - R1 DVD Library Loan
  • 018Star Trek: Voyager - Season 5, Episode 6 "Timeless" - Amazon Instant Video

May 5th
  • 019 Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 3, Episode 15 - "Yesterday's Enterprise" - R1 Season Three Blu-Ray
  • 020 Round the Twist - Series 1, Episode 13 "Lighthouse Blues" - R2 Complete Set DVD
  • 021 The Sound of Music (1965) - R1 Anniversary DVD
    • BONUS FEATURE: The Sound of Music Tour – A Living Story
  • 022The Big Sleep (1946) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 023The Amazing Spider-man (2012) - R1 Blu-ray Library Loan
    • BONUS FEATURE: Deleted scenes:
      • A different fate (4:00)
      • Connors' condolences (1:53)
      • Tracking Connors (1:04)
      • Hacking Connors (0:38)
      • Going away (1:50)
      • Top to bottom, part 1 (0:51)
      • Top to bottom, part 2 (1:28)
      • Bad Lizard (0:56)
      • Help me (0:57)
      • All the power you feel (3:29)
      • Lost something (0:48)
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Pre-Visualization" featurettes:
      • Revised opening sequence (1:41)
      • Spider room (2:26)
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Stunt Rehearsals" featurettes:
      • Subway (1:32)
      • Testing powers (3:26)
      • Alley fight (1:34)
      • Escape under bridge (1:51)
      • Sewer fight (0:44)
      • Spidey vs. Lizard (2:21)
      • Lizard attacks SWAT (0:54)
      • SWAT attacks Spidey (1:28)

May 6th
  • 024In the Good Old Summertime (1949) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 025Strike! (1924) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 026Spaceballs (1987) - R1 DVD Library Loan
    • BONUS FEATURES: Spaceballs "Behind the Scenes"

May 7th
  • 027 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) - R1 Diamond Edition DVD
  • 028Show Boat (1951) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 029 Top Secret! (1984) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 030Sabotage (1936) - Amazon Instant Video

May 8th
  • 031Lilo & Stitch (2002) - R1 DVD
  • ---Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 3 "Gag Reel" - R1 Season Three Blu-ray
  • 032 Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 3, Episode 24 - "Ménage à Troi" - R1 Season Three Blu-ray
  • 033The Secret Agent (1936) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 034Strangers in 7A (TVM, 1972) - Amazon Instant Video

May 9th
  • 035Sofia the First: Once Upon a Princess (Series Pilot) - TV
  • 036The Librarian: Quest for the Spear (TVM, 2004) - R1 DVD Library Loan
    • BONUS FEATURE: Introduction by Noah Wyle
    • BONUS FEATURE: The Librarian: Behind the Scenes
    • BONUS FEATURE: Visual Efx Commentary by Director Peter Winther on Selected Scenes:
      • 1) The Flying Leap
      • 2) The Only Way Across
    • BONUS FEATURE: Trailer - Pirates of Silicon Valley
  • 037Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004) - R1 DVD Library Loan - "Alert the amphibious squadron"
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Brave New World" Chapter 1
    • BONUS FEATURE: "The Art of World of Tomorrow"
    • BONUS FEATURE: Trailers (Alfie, The SpongeBob Squarepants Movie, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, Without a Paddle)
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Brave New World" Chapter 2
    • BONUS FEATURE: "The Original Six Minute Short" - Sky Captain and the Flying Legion in The World of Tomorrow
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Deleted Scenes" - Totenkopf's Torture Room
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Deleted Scenes" - Conveyor Belt
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Gag Reel"
  • 038 Star Trek: The Next Geneeration - Season 5, Episode 9 "A Matter of Time" - R1 Season Five DVD
  • 039Star Trek: Voyager - Season 5, Episode 7 "Infinite Regress" - Amazon Instant Video "I wish to participate in recreational activities"
  • 040Amazon Original Pilots: Dark Minions - "Pilot" - Amazon Instant Video

May 10th
  • 041 Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 5, Episode 10 "New Ground" - R1 Season Five DVD
  • 042Amazon Original Pilots: Annebots - "Pilot" - Amazon Instant Video
    • BONUS: Amazon Original Pilots: Annebots - Live Action Preview
  • 043Amazon Original Pilots: Alpha House - "Pilot" - Amazon Instant Video
  • 044Amazon Original Pilots: Betas - "Pilot" - Amazon Instant Video
  • 045Amazon Original Pilots: Those Who Can't - "Pilot" - Amazon Instant Video

May 11th
  • 046Speed Racer (2008) - R1 DVD Library Loan
  • 047 Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 5, Episode 11 "Hero Worship" - R1 Season Five DVD
  • 048Amazon Original Pilots: Sara Solves It - "Pilot" - Amazon Instant Video
  • 049Amazon Original Pilots: Creative Galaxy - "Pilot" - Amazon Instant Video "You fixed the library, with art." "If you have a problem, you can fix it... With ART!"
  • 050Star Trek (2009) - (R1 DVD?) Friend's House
  • 051Freaks (1932) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 052Star Trek: Voyager - Season 5, Episode 8 "Nothing Human" - Amazon Instant Video (Mengele & medical ethics)
  • 053Amazon Original Pilots: Zombieland - "Pilot" - Amazon Instant Video
  • 054Amazon Original Pilots: Supanatural - "Pilot" - Amazon Instant Video

May 12th
  • 055Sherlock - Series 1, Episode 2 "The Blind Banker" - Amazon Instant Video

May 13th
  • 056Sleeping Beauty (1958) - R1 50th Anniversary DVD Library Loan
  • 057Sleeping Car to Trieste (1948) - Amazon Instant Video

May 14th
  • 056 Sleeping Beauty (1958) - R1 50th Anniversary DVD Library Loan
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Sequence 8"
    • BONUS FEATURE: Alternate Opening
    • BONUS FEATURE: Deleted Songs:
      • "It Happens I Have a Picture," Version 1
      • "It Happens I Have a Picture," Version 2
      • "Riddle Diddle"
      • "Go To Sleep"
    • BONUS FEATURE: Storyboard Sequences:
      • "The Fairies Put the Castle to Sleep"
      • "The Capture of the Prince"
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Eyvind Earle: The Man and his Art"
    • BONUS FEATURE: Picture Perfect: The Making of Sleeping Beauty
    • BONUS FEATURE: Live Action Reference:
      • "Briar Rose Dances"
      • "Prince Phillip Fights the Dragon"
      • "The Queen and a Good Fairy"
    • BONUS FEATURE: Original Teaser Trailer
    • BONUS FEATURE: Original Theatrical Trailer
    • BONUS FEATURE: Re-release Trailer
    • BONUS FEATURE: 4 Artists Paint 1 Tree
    • BONUS FEATURE: "History of the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough Attraction"
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Original Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough Attraction with Guided Tour by Walt Disney Imagineer Tony Baxter"
  • 058The Misfits (1961) - R1 DVD Library Loan
  • 059Sister Act (1992) - R1 DVD Library Loan
  • 060The Saga of Gosta Berling [AKA Gösta Berlings saga] (1924) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 061Standing Ovation (2010) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 062 The Producers (2005) - R1 DVD Library Loan
    • BONUS FEATURE: Deleted Scenes:
      • "King Of Broadway" (5:24)
      • Hide and Seek (0:58)
      • "I Wanna Be A Producer" (0:50)
      • "In Old Bavaria" (1:18)
      • "Der Guten Tag Hop-Clop (Reprise)" (0:38)
      • "Along Came Bialy" (with vignettes) (6:38)
      • "That Face (Reprise)" (2:04)
      • Astor Bar (1:44)

May 15th
  • 062 The Producers (2005) - R1 DVD Library Loan
    • BONUS FEATURE: Outtakes
    • BONUS FEATURE: Analysis Of A Scene: "I Wanna Be A Producer" featurette
  • 063 The Sword in the Stone (1963) - R1 45th Anniversary DVD
    • BONUS FEATURE: "All About Magic" (excerpt)
    • BONUS FEATURE: Music & More:
      • "Music Magic: The Sherman Brothers"
    • BONUS FEATURE: Bonus Shorts:
      • Goofy in Knight For A Day (7:06)
      • Mickey Mouse in Brave Little Tailor (9:01)
    • BONUS FEATURE: Music & More - Disney Song Selection:
      • "The Legend of the Sword in the Stone"
      • "Higitus Figitus"
      • "That's What Makes the World Go Round"
      • "A Most Befuddling Thing"
  • 064Ladies of the Chorus (1948) - YouTube

May 16th
  • 065 Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 5, Episode 12 "Violations" - R1 DVD
  • 066Spies [AKA Spione] (1928) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 067 Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) - Amazon Instant Video

May 17th
  • 068Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013) - Cinema

May 18th
  • 069Sofia the First - Season 1, Episode 10 "Tri-Kingdom Picnic" - LIVE TV
  • 070Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) - R1 DVD Library Loan
    • BONUS FEATURE: Theatrical Trailer (2:26 min)
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Movietone News: Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russel in Cement"
  • 071Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 072Star Trek: Voyager - Season 5, Episode 9 "Thirty Days" - Amazon Instant Video

May 19th
  • 073 Round the Twist - Series 1, Episode 10 "Know All" - R2 Complete Set DVD
  • 074Star Trek: Voyager - Season 5, Episode 10 "Counterpoint" - Amazon Instant Video
  • 075Star Trek: Voyager - Season 5, Episode 11 "Latent Image" - Amazon Instant Video
  • 076 My Super Ex-Girlfriend (2006) - R1 DVD Library Loan
      • 'Flashback: Barry and Jenny decide on a name of her secret identity'
      • 'Flashback: Jenny's cheerleader tryouts'
      • 'Jenny shows Matt her super closet'
      • 'Defending Jenny's honour'
      • 'Bedlam in Prison'
    • BONUS FEATURE: 'Extended Shark sequence'

May 20th
  • 077Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit (1993) - R1 DVD Library Loan
  • 078 Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 5, Episode 13 "The Masterpiece Society" - R1 DVD
  • 079Skyfall (2012) - R1 Blu-ray Library Loan
  • 080 Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 5, Episode 14 "Conundrum" - R1 DVD
  • 081The Searchers (1956) - R1 50th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition DVD Library Loan
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Introduction from Patrick Wayne, the son of John Wayne"
    • BONUS FEATURE: Theatrical trailer
    • BONUS FEATURE: The Searchers: An Appreciation documentary
    • BONUS FEATURE: A Turning of the Earth: John Ford, John Wayne and The Searchers documentary
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Behind the Cameras" featurettes:
      • Meet Jeffrey Hunter (4:02 min)
      • Monument Valley (6:02 min)
      • Meet Natalie Wood (5:49 min)
      • Setting Up Production (5:54 min)
  • 082The Stepford Wives (1975) - R1 DVD Library Loan
    • BONUS FEATURE: The Stepford Life: Interviews with Director Bryan Forbes, Producer Edgar J. Scherick, and Stars Katharine Ross, Paula Prentiss, Nanette Newman and Peter Masterson
    • BONUS FEATURE: Radio Spots:
      • Spot #1
      • Spot #2

May 21st
  • 083 Round the Twist - Series 1, Episode 12 "Without My Pants" - R2 Complete Set DVD
  • 084 Shakespeare in Love - R1 DVD Library Loan
  • 085 Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 5, Episode 15 "Power Play" - R1 DVD
  • 086 Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 5, Episode 16 "Ethics" - R1 DVD
  • 087Die Nibelungen: Siegfried [AKA Siegfried] (1924) - Amazon Instant Video
  • 088Mission: Impossible - Season 2, Episode 1 "Widow" - Amazon Instant Video
  • 089No Strings Attached - Amazon Instant Video

May 22nd
  • 090The Stepford Wives (2004) - R1 DVD Library Loan
    • BONUS FEATURE: Deleted/Extended Scenes
      • Square Dance
      • Husbands on Driveway
      • Bobbie's Kitchen
      • Lab Sequence
      • Herb on Pole
      • Claire's Electrocution
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Stepford: A Definition"
    • BONUS FEATURE: Stepford: Gag Reel
  • 091The 3 Worlds of Gulliver (1960) - R1 DVD Library Loan
    • BONUS FEATURE: "This is Dynamation" featurette
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Making-Of" featurette
    • BONUS FEATURE: The Harryhausen Chronicles
  • 092Sliding Doors (1998) - R1 DVD Library Loan
  • 093Edward Scissorhands (1990) - R1 10th Anniversary DVD Library Loan
    • BONUS FEATURE: Featurette
    • BONUS FEATURE: Sound Bites:
      • Johnny Depp (Actor - 1:06)
      • Winona Ryder (Actress - 1:24)
      • Dianne Wiest (Actress - 0:48)
      • Tim Burton (Director - 0:30)
      • Caroline Thompson (Co-writer - 1:33)
      • Alan Arkin (Actor - 0:35)
      • Vincent Price (Actor - 1:51)
      • Danny Elfman (Composer - 1:46)

May 23rd
  • 094Dark Shadows (2012) - R1 Blu-ray Library Loan
      • Scene 59 - "Dr. Hoffman and Elizabeth discuss Barnabas"
      • Scene 61 - "David and Barnabas discuss Dinosaurs"
      • Scene 94 - "Carolyn and Victoria - Girl talk"
      • Scene 95 - "Police warn Willie and Barnabas"
      • Scene 108 - "Dr. Hoffman offers Victoria help"
    • BONUS FEATURE: Focus Points:
      • Alice Cooper rocks Collinsport!
      • Dark Shadows: The Legend bites back
  • 095 Jason and the Argonauts (1963) - R1 DVD Library Loan
  • 096 Mission: Impossible (1996) - Amazon Instant Video

May 24th
  • 097 Superman: The Movie - R1 Blu-ray Library Loan
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Taking Flight" - The Develoipment of Superman
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Making Superman" - Filming the Legend
    • BONUS FEATURE: "Superman" Screen Tests:
    • 098Mission: Impossible II - Amazon Instant Video

May 25th
    • 099 [☼] Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut - Blu-ray
      • BONUS FEATURE: Introduction by Richard Donner
      • BONUS FEATURE: Additional Footage:
        • Lex and Ms. Teschmacher Head North
        • Lex and Ms. Teschmacher Head South
        • The Villains Enter the Fortress
        • He's All Yours, Boys
        • Clark and Jimmy
        • Lex's Getaway
      • BONUS FEATURE: Superman II: Restoring the Vision
    • 100Cordeliers' Square in Lyon [AKA Place des Cordeliers à Lyon] (1895) - YouTube
    • 101Hot Stuff (1912) - YouTube
    • 102 M:I 3 - Amazon Instant Video
    • 103Source Code (2011) - R1 DVD Library Loan
      • BONUS FEATURE: Cast and Crew Insights:
        • Captain, My Captain
        • Keeping Up With Duncan
        • How Jake Rolls
        • The Girl Next Door
        • The Ultimate Train Set
        • Virtual Relationships
        • What is The Source Code?
        • The Mad Scientist
        • The Designated Coach
        • The Funny Guy
        • Audience Appeal
      • BONUS FEATURE: Focal Points:
        • Memory Recall
        • Military Virtual Reality Simulations
        • Quantum Physics
        • Many Worlds Theory
        • Brain Computer Interface

May 26th
    • 104The Secret of Nimh
    • 105The Last Laugh [AKA Der Letzte Mann]
    • 106Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
    • 107Mission: Impossible - Season 2, Episode 2 "Trek"

May 27th
    • 108The Quest for Camelot - Amazon Instant Video
    • 109Splash (1984) - R1 20th Anniversary DVD Library Loan
      • BONUS FEATURE: Making a Splash
      • BONUS FEATURE: The Audition Tapes:
        • Introduction by Director Ron Howard
        • Tom Hanks
        • Daryl Hannah
    • 110Something Wicked This Way Comes - R1 DVD Library Loan
    • 111Strangers on a Train - Amazon Instant Video

May 28th
    • 112 Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 5, Episode 17 "The Outcast" - R1 Season Five DVD
    • 113Sherlock - Series 1, Episode 3 "The Great Game" - Amazon Instant Video

May 29th
    • 114Le Voyage de Gulliver à Lilliput et chez les géants [AKA Gulliver's Travels Among the Lilliputians and the Giants] (1902) - YouTube (Méliès)
    • 115Suspense (1913) - YouTube
    • 116Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street (2007) - R1 DVD Library Loan
      • BONUS FEATURE: Burton + Depp + Carter = Todd
    • 117Snow White and the Huntsman [Extended Edition] (2012) - R1 DVD Library Loan
      • BONUS FEATURE: A New Legend Is Born: Directors Vision Comes To Life
        • "A Costumer's Dream"
        • "Building The World"
        • "Stunt Time With The Stars"
        • "The Magic Behind The Epic"

May 30th
    • 118Mont Blanc and the Stonecutter's Team (1897) - YouTube
    • 119The Strenuous Life; or, Anti-Race Suicide (1904) - YouTube
    • 120 Stardust (2007) - R1 DVD Library Loan

May 31st
    • [*]
    • [*]

June 1st

Upcoming
      The Hands of Orlac
      Stardust
      State of Play
      (Six-Pack Annie, Striptease Samurai Squad, Smash, Scandal, Scarecrow and Mrs King)

Tiny Checklist
      Spoiler:
      Watch episodes of a show whose title begins "ST--": (e.g. Star Trek)
      Watch episodes of a show whose title ends "--ST": (e.g. The Mentalist)
      Watch a film whose title begins "ST--":
      Watch a film whose title begins "ST--", that isn't Trek:
      Watch an Action/Adventure/Mystery/Crime film that begins with "S":
      Watch an Exploitation/Drive-in film that begins with "S":
      Watch a critical failure/box office bomb film that begins with "S":
      Watch a film and it's sequel, both beginning with "S":
      Watch a film beginning with "S" in the cinema:

Watch an episode of a TV series that has "ss" within the title:
      Watch a film that has "ss" within the title:

Watch a film containing a three-letter "S" word:
      Watch a film containing a four-letter "S" word:
      Watch a film containing a five-letter "S" word: Plan 9 From Outer SPACE
      Watch a film containing a six-letter "S" word:
      Watch a film containing a seven-letter "S" word:
      Watch a film containing a eight-letter "S" word:
      Watch a film containing a nine-letter "S" word:
      Watch a film containing a ten-letter "S" word:
      Watch a film containing longer-than-ten-letter "S" word:

Last edited by ntnon; 06-04-13 at 01:11 AM.
      Old 05-01-13, 04:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 3rd Annual Comic-Book Movie/TV Challenge!
      (movies/TV series based on comic books)

Movies count as 1 entry.
      TV shows = 2 hour episodes or 4 half-hour episodes for 1 entry.

Unless otherwise noted, all entries are from my personal DVD collection.

April 1
      1. The Amazing Spider-Man
      (2012)

April 2
      2. Thor
      (2011) Seen with commentary by director Kenneth Brannagh.

April 3
      3. Iron Man 3
      (2013) Seen in movie theater for the second time. Since I live in Mexico, I had already seen it last Friday, ahead of the American premiere.

April 4
      4. The Incredible Hulk
      , S4 (1980) Episodes: Prometheus, parts 1 & 2
      5. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003) Seen with commentary by producers Don Murphy and Trevor Albert and actors Shane West, Jason Flemyng and Tony Curran.

April 5
      6. The Incredible Hulk
      , S4 (1980) Episodes: Free fall / Dark side
      7. Iron Man: Extremis (2010) Motion comic from the graphic novel.

April 6 - Nothing

April 7
      8. The Incredible Hulk
      , S4 (1980/81) Episodes: Deep Shock / Bring me the head of The Hulk

April 8
      9. Men In Black 3
      (2012) This will probably be my only "first time view" since I didn't catch it during its theatrical run. And yes, it's based on a comic - albeit a very little known one published by Malibu Comics years ago.

April 9
      10. Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
      (2010) Some pretty good action scenes and some deeper than usual themes highlight this DC Animated feature.

April 10
      11. The Incredible Hulk
      , S4 (1981) Episodes: Fast lane / Goodbye Eddie Cain Two incredibly boring episodes with crime-drama plots where The Hulk is almost a tacked-on afterthought.

April 11
      12. Jonah Hex
      (1981) A second viewing doesn't make this film any better. What a wasted opportunity.
      13. The Incredible Hulk, S4 (1981) Episodes: King of the beach / Wax museum The first episode stars Lou Ferrigno in his first speaking role as an amateur bodybuilder, and yes there's a scene with himself and The Hulk together.

April 12-14 - Nothing

April 15
      14. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
      (2011) Way better than the first one (which isn't sayingt much, I admit), so don't let the naysayers fool you, this is in fact a pretty decent B movie. Give it another try if you saw it already.
      15. Swamp Thing, S1 (1990) Four half-hour episodes: The Emerald heart / Falco / Treasure / From beyond the grave

April 16 - Nothing

April 17
      16. The Fantastic Four
      (2005) The DVD I have is the extended version but do yourself a favor and stick with theatrical cut unless you want endless scenes of The Thing moping around feeling sorry for himself. The Fantastic Four are anything but fantastic since they can only think of getting rid of their extraordinary powers once they have them and there's very little super hero action.

April 18
      17. The Incredible Hulk
      , S4 (1981) Episodes: East winds / The harder they fall
      18. The Incredible Hulk, S4 (1981) Episodes: The first, parts 1 & 2

April 19
      19. The Incredible Hulk
      , S4 (1981) Episodes: Interview with The Hulk / Half Nelson

April 20-21 - Nothing

April 22
      20. Wonder Woman
      , S2 (1977) Episodes: Mind stealers from outer space parts 1 & 2
      21. Wonder Woman, S2 (1977/78) Episodes: The deadly toys / The light-fingered lady

April 23
      22. Wonder Woman
      , S2 (1978) Episodes: Screaming Javelins / Diana's disappearing act

April 24
      23. The Incredible Hulk
      , S4 (1981) Episodes: Danny / Patterns

April 25
      24. The Incredible Hulk
      , S5 (1981) Episodes: The phenom / Two godmothers

April 27
      25. Wonder Woman
      , S2 (1978) Episodes: Death in disguise / IRAC is missing

April 28
      26. The Incredible Hulk
      , S5 (1981) Episodes: Veteran / Sanctuary

April 29
      27. Dredd
      (2012) Pretty damn good movie that instantly wipes out the bad aftertaste of Sylvester Stallone's version.

That's it - 27 entries. I'm frankly embarrassed by my low count. Only one first time view - Men In Black 3.

Last edited by pagefrance; 06-01-13 at 05:04 PM. Reason: List update
      Old 05-07-13, 11:06 AM
      DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm late out of the gate due to surgery but gonna try! All Shaw Brothers this month. * = first time view.

1. Rivals of Kung Fu (5/6)*
      Old 05-12-13, 08:37 AM
      DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Ash Ketchum’s Make-Your-Own-Challenge May 2013

Anime VHS in Japanese with NO subtitles

I have dozens of pre-recorded Japanese VHS tapes of movies and TV shows, both anime and live-action, all in Japanese with no subtitles. I decided to pick out only anime tapes from this collection for this challenge. Most are TV shows, some are movies and some are OAV (made-for-video animation). They span the 1960s to the 1990s. What’s striking about these tapes is how good they look on my Sony Bravia 32-inch screen, which is normally not terribly forgiving when it comes to VHS.

Some of the stories are moderately easy to follow without subs, such as the sci-fi shows where giant monsters attack Tokyo, while the more complicated ones are harder to follow. But given the striking imagery in so many of these shows, I’d rather have them untranslated than not at all. With one exception, the images are scans of the VHS covers.

* - First-time viewings
      1. *OSAMU TEZUKA’S BIG-X (1965, b&w, sci-fi TV series/TMS) Creator: Osamu Tezuka.
      #48. A Giant Jellyfish Appears
      #49. The Great 3
      #50. The Earth’s 5th Ice Age
      #51. The Magician of Samaringa
      From Osamu Tezuka’s manga about a boy who turns into a giant superhero, Big X, when monsters attack.

2. *GREAT MAZINGER VS. GETTER ROBO (1975/30 min., color/sci-fi movie/Toei) Dir.: Masayuki Akihi. Giant robots team up to fight giant alien monsters. Cross-over spin-off of the Great Mazinger and Getter Robo TV series.

GREAT MAZINGER VS. GETTER ROBO G: KUUCHUU DAI-GEKITOTSU (THE GREAT SPACE ENCOUNTER, 1975, 25 min., color/sci-fi movie/Toei) Dir.: Masayuki Akihi.
      Giant robots team up to fight giant alien monsters. Cross-over spin-off of the Great Mazinger and Getter Robo G TV series.

3. *MASK OF GLASS Vol. 1 (1998, 45 min., color, drama/OAV)
      Dir.: Tsuneo Kobayashi.
      Remake of a 1984 TV series about an adolescent girl who wants to be an actress. Based on a manga by Suzue Miuchi.

4. *NEW CAPTAIN TSUBASA Vol. 3 (1989, 30 min., color, sports drama/OAV)
      Dir.: Osamu Sekita. Spin-off of a very popular earlier (1983-86) series about a young men’s soccer team.

5. *RAINBOW SENTAI ROBIN (1966, b&w, sci-fi TV series/Toei)
      Vol. 1: #1, 11, 13, 28
      From the creator of Cyborg 009, Shotaro Ishinomori, comes this similar series about a team of super-robots led by a human leader, Robin.

6. *OGON BAT (1967, color, fantasy adventure TV series)
      Vol. 2: Eps. 5-8
      5. Man-Eating Plants
      6. Mysterious Melons
      7. The African Mystery
      8. The Space Monster
      A superhero with a golden skull mask comes to the rescue when our heroes confront assorted monsters. Based on a pulp fiction character created in Japan in the 1930s.

7. *SABU TO ICHI TORIMONO HIKAE (SABU AND ICHI’S ARREST WARRANT, 1968, b&w, historical drama TV series/Toei)
      Vol. 1: Eps. 1-4
      Series Director: Rintaro.
      Sabu is a young policeman in Tokugawa-era Edo (Tokyo) and Ichi is a blind swordsman/masseur who assists him.

8. *DORAEMON: BOKU MOMOTARO NO NANNA NO SA (WHAT AM I FOR MOMOTARO) (1981, 46 min., color, sci-fi comedy movie/Toho) Dir.: Takeyuki Kanda.
      Nobita and his entourage travel back to Old Japan, where Nobita takes on the role of the folk hero Momotaro.

9. SANGOKUSHI II: TENKAKERU HIDEOTACHI (1986, 90 min., color, historical adventure/TV Special)
      Part Two in a series of anime specials based on the classic Chinese text, "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms."

10. *GOLDEN WARRIOR GOLD LIGHTAN (aka OGON SENSHI GOLD RAITAN) Vol. 1 (1981, 67 min., color, giant robot adventure TV series)
      Eps. #1, #3, #5
      Dir.: Koichi Mashimo.
      Unusual giant robot adventure in which a boy has a gold lighter that turns into a helpful one-foot-tall golden robot, "Gold Lightan," with its own consciousness and the abililty to turn giant-size when evil alien robots attack.

11. THE WEATHERING CONTINENT (1992/55 min., color, fantasy adventure movie/Bandai)
      Dir.: Koichi Mashimo.
      Sword-and-sorcery adventure as three travelers in an ancient post-apocalyptic landscape stumble upon a well-preserved city of the dead and cope with its angry spirits and invading bandits.

12. IKKYU-SAN: OBARE YANCHA HIME (IKKYU-SAN AND THE MISCHIEVOUS PRINCESS) (1980/49 min., color, historical comedy TV special/Toei) Dir.: Kimio Yabuki.
      Spin-off from popular TV series about Ikkyu-san, a young monk-in-training at a temple in Tokugawa-era Japan. In this special, the temple plays host to a bratty tomboy princess who has to learn how to act like a lady.

13. KABUTO (1990/60 min., color, ninja fantasy adventure TV series) Vol. 1
      Based on a manga by Buichi Terasawa.
      I have the manga in English so I was able to read that first and then watch the unsub’d anime. It’s about super ninjas fighting a demon army that’s burst out from hell to overrun the Earth.

14. *MASK OF GLASS Vol. 2 (1998, 49 min., color, drama/OAV)
      Dir.: Tsuneo Kobayashi.
      More melodrama at acting school. Young Maya gets the role of Beth in “Little Women” and actually gets sick so Beth’s death scene will be more realistic.

15. KIZUOIBITO, Vol. 1 (aka Wounded Man, 1986, 44 min., color, adventure/OAV)
      Dir.: Toshio Takeuchi.
      A Japanese newscaster covers a dangerous story in Brazil involving a Japanese man searching for gold. Based on a manga by Kazuo Koike and Ryoichi Ikegami. I have the English-language manga so I was able to read it first and then watch the unsub’d anime.

16. *DORAEMON: NOBITA NO UCHÛ KAITAKUSHI (Doraemon: Nobita’s Space Story, 1981, 90 min., color, sci-fi comedy-adventure movie) Dir.: Hideo Nishimaki.
      Nobita and Doraemon find a portal to a spaceship under a tatami mat in their room and help a boy and his family fight villains on the moon. Spin-off from the TV show.

17. *DR. SLUMP (1982, 90 min., color, sci-fi comedy adventure movie/Toei) Dir.: Akinori Nagaoka. Based on a manga by Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball).
      Dr. Slump, robot girl Arale and the crew go into outer space to rescue Penguin Village’s school teacher, who’s been abducted by a petty despot on another planet who wants to marry her. Spin-off from the TV show.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-31-13 at 05:25 AM.
      Old 11-18-13, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I've been searching the net trying to find if there's anywhere to watch or purchase "Sangokushi". I first saw this back in the late 1980's on a Japanese tv channel. I loved it so much I started recording the episodes to vhs. Those tapes are long gone and I really want to see that show again. One of my favorite scenes is when Cao Cao is under water, near death, and he sees himself fighting skeleton warriors under water. I was wondering if you had any info on if this is on dvd, or if you'd be willing to sell me a copy of what you have. I don't think this was released on dvd as I've checked so many sites. And its so much better than the version made in the early 90's. Thanks for any help you can offer. Chikarah