Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Horror DVDs and Blu-Rays I need to own

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Horror DVDs and Blu-Rays I need to own

I posted this in the movies section, but in case some people don't visit it, I need help with my horror movie collection:

So I'm trying to upgrade my horror movie collection with my tax refund (what better way to waste money, right? lol) and I would love to know what movies I MUST buy and have in my collection. Could be classics and could be new indy films that came out the past 5 years. Looking for everything and anything. I will say that I am NOT looking for disgusting horror, like what was seen in ABC's of Death. I want horror, something that will scare me or freak me out, not leave me disgusted disturbed.
Old 03-03-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Horror DVDs and Blu-Rays I need to own

just going from my tastes in horror off the top of my head as my collection is currently packed away

ill get two of the more "gross out" horror out the way I just thought they were enjoyable and well done
Cannibal - directed by Marian Dora
Human Centipede 2 - relies on shock value and im not a huge fan of the original one but really enjoyed the direction they went in with the sequel

Edge Of Sanity *on netflix
Magic
Let the Right One In *i enjoyed Let Me In too
Trick 'r Treat *easily one of my favorite horror movies to be released in recent years
Dark Night of the Scarecrow
House of the Devil
The Innkeepers
Killer Klowns from Outer Space

i own well over 1000 horror titles and without them sitting in front of me they all blend together
Old 03-04-13, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by terrycloth
just going from my tastes in horror off the top of my head as my collection is currently packed away

ill get two of the more "gross out" horror out the way I just thought they were enjoyable and well done
Cannibal - directed by Marian Dora
Human Centipede 2 - relies on shock value and im not a huge fan of the original one but really enjoyed the direction they went in with the sequel

Edge Of Sanity *on netflix
Magic
Let the Right One In *i enjoyed Let Me In too
Trick 'r Treat *easily one of my favorite horror movies to be released in recent years
Dark Night of the Scarecrow
House of the Devil
The Innkeepers
Killer Klowns from Outer Space

i own well over 1000 horror titles and without them sitting in front of me they all blend together
Thanks for that list. I understand about how sometimes, movies blend together. I really enjoyed both versions of Let the Right One In as well as Trick 'r Treat. I need to see House of the Devil and I wasn't TOO impressed with The InnKeepers. After seeing that and Ti West's short in ABC's of Death, I don't quite understand how he got his name value, though it could be from House of the Devil. Killer Klowns is a great classic and I semi enjoyed Human Centipede 2. I'll check out the rest of that list. Thanks!!
Old 03-04-13, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

So far as classics: If you don't have a Hammer films section to your collection, you need one. Dracula, Frankenstein, Mummy, Werewolf franchises are good starts but there are many great titles in the Hammer catalog.

Euro horror: Bava and Argento and Fulci. Gotta have some films from these guys in your collection. So far as stars, I like anything with Paul Naschy or Barbara Steele in it.

Check out Blue Underground as a label. Lots of great giallos, which I look at as horror mostly, and some other really good ones.

And I always recommend those Mill Creek 50 packs. Prints suck here and there, and yeah some are even framed wrong, etc. but you can get 50 movies for like 10$. Pure Terror (best one IMO), Chilling Classics, Legends of Horror are all very good. That would get you caught up on DECADES of movies.
Old 03-04-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a huge fan of horror (esp. slasher movies), but here are some of my favorites:

Wolf Creek
The Haunting (1963)
The Shining
Magic
The Ring
Universal Monsters (the Wolfman, Dracula, Frankensteing, Creature from the Black Lagoon)
Old 03-04-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Horror is such a subjective thing that I'm loathe to recommend anything. But, if you're looking for something that will scare you, here are some fairly recent films that I found to have their moments:

Dark Water (the Japanese version)
The Ring (aka Ringu) (again, the Japanese version, although the American remake isn't bad)
[REC]
The Orphanage
The Descent
A Tale of Two Sisters

Others that are older (with a lessened scare factor as well):

The Abominable Dr. Phibes
Carrie
The Howling
Halloween
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Phantasm

Suspiria

And, like GoldenWheels suggested, you need some Hammer, and as That'sAllFolks suggested, you also need some Universal monsters. Other Golden Age films that I would recommend include Island of Lost Souls and any of the Val Lewton films, particularly Cat People, I Walked with a Zombie, and Isle of the Dead.
Old 03-04-13, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
And I always recommend those Mill Creek 50 packs. Prints suck here and there, and yeah some are even framed wrong, etc. but you can get 50 movies for like 10$. Pure Terror (best one IMO), Chilling Classics, Legends of Horror are all very good. That would get you caught up on DECADES of movies.

On your recommendation, I ordered Pure Terror earlier today. From Hamiltonbooks yet.
Old 03-04-13, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
So far as classics: If you don't have a Hammer films section to your collection, you need one. Dracula, Frankenstein, Mummy, Werewolf franchises are good starts but there are many great titles in the Hammer catalog.

Euro horror: Bava and Argento and Fulci. Gotta have some films from these guys in your collection. So far as stars, I like anything with Paul Naschy or Barbara Steele in it.

Check out Blue Underground as a label. Lots of great giallos, which I look at as horror mostly, and some other really good ones.

I'll second *everything* GoldenWheels said and add:

Any Universal horror title (Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, Invisible Man, Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Mummy, etc. and *all* sequels). Any horror title with *any* of these actors: Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Christopher Lee, Vincent Price, Lon Chaney (Sr. and Jr.), Claude Rains, Peter Cushing, Basil Rathbone, Lionel Atwill, John Carradine, and Peter Lorre. AIP horror titles. Amicus horror titles. Val Lewton films. The Roger Corman "Poe Cycle" of films. A few from director Jesse Franco. Basically just about any horror title released prior to 1970.

A few standout classics:
Island of Lost Souls (1932)
Evil Dead (1981)
Evil Dead 2 (1987)
The Fly (1958 & 1986)
The Thing (1982)
The Thing from Another World(1956)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 & 1978)
The Shining (1980)
Alien (1979)

I'd put the Hammer horror films high on the list (especially the earlier titles) and expect to spend large chunks of that refund as most are OOP *unless* you are region free (Amazon UK).
Old 03-05-13, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
On your recommendation, I ordered Pure Terror earlier today. From Hamiltonbooks yet.
Er, ours comes with extra love in the box. Ha! Thanks shado!

Really great set so far as Mill Creek goes IMO. Has all the PD stand bys you have to have (Bloody Pit of Horror, Crucible of Horror, Grave of the Vampire, Devil's Nightmare, etc etc) and three Paul Naschy movies with really very good prints (Devil's Possessed, Doctor Jekyll and the Werewolf, Horror Rises from the Tomb, ALL good), plus a Fulci (The House by the Cemetery), a Steele (Terror Creatures from the Grave) and some neat Euros like It Happened at Nightmare Inn.
Old 03-06-13, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for all that information. I have a few of those 20-50 pack movie sets. Always a steal
Old 03-06-13, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

For something more comprehensive I suggest checking out a few of the October Horror Movie Challenge List threads.
Old 03-06-13, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

How about the classic silent films such as Nosferatu, Phantom of the Opera, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde?