Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Tune in to the TV on DVD* Challenge: same Bat-time, same Bat-forum!

Going into the last day, anyone within striking distance of any personal goals you're gonna try to hit?
Old 01-31-13, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Going into the last day, anyone within striking distance of any personal goals you're gonna try to hit?
I finished up two of my personal goals (watch a season of Stargate SG-1 and two seasons of Gilmore Girls), but I put one (watch three miniseries) off too long. Unfortunately, there is no way I am going to watch two complete miniseries today!

Good luck to everyone!
Old 01-31-13, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

As you may have noticed, I've been on something of a Dragnet kick during this challenge. I had picked up a box set of 22 of the 1950s episodes last year and started watching those (12 so far). I picked up box sets of DRAGNET 1967 and 1968 at Book Off earlier this month and watched some of those. Well, last night, I was in Book Off again and found box sets of DRAGNET 1969 and 1970, so I picked those up and watched three of those episodes this morning. The 1969 episode I watched features Sgt. Friday and Officer Gannon as guests on a talk show defending the police from attacks by all the usual suspects--including black militants, pot advocates and the hippie publisher of an underground newspaper played by Howard Hesseman! Great stuff.

So now I have the entire run of Dragnet's 1960s revival.
Old 01-31-13, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Don't know for sure if I'll make it, but I may try to hit 100 items watched today.
Old 01-31-13, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's where I stand with 14 hours remaining:

Total View Time: 4807 Minutes (7 movies, 127 episodes, 5 compilations, 4 live events/speeches, 1 special, 1 short)

I'll probably stream this week's episodes of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report later today, but that's probably the last content I'll add to my totals. One of my friends was actually at the taping of The Daily Show on Tuesday night so I'm keen to see that one.
Old 01-31-13, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Using Superman is a handy microcosm of all this continuity business. You can't say that any Superman TV series was spun-off from a Superman movie because they were all originally spun out of the comic book. What you can demonstrate is that there's a direct continuity between, say, Superman and the Mole Men and The Adventures of Superman. There is not, however, any continuity between The Adventures of Superman and Superman: The Movie. This is why none of the direct-to-video DC Universe Superman movies released to date are eligible for the TV on DVD* Challenge.
Yes, quite. Although I thought Mole Men was one of the reasons Adventures was made, so you could argue that that series was spun-off from the movie, even though it's a little more complicated.

Although I'm interested, I've never really investigate the DTV DC films, but my suspicion was always that some of them were tied into the continuities of one-or-other cartoon series. I know some of the recent Batman ones are in the same universe as the Nolan films, but that's not relevant here.

Whether a film came before or after (or even during) a series is actually only relevant for the optional checklist. Its eligibility for the challenge rests only on whether it is part of the direct continuity of the TV series.
Yes, and as I say I have no direct knowledge or vested interest - other than helping in your list compiling - but I was sure that M*A*S*H-the-series was directly spun-off from M*A*S*H-the-film - it's included in the Complete TV Martinis and Medicine collection, isn't it..?

In the case of Fanny and Alexander, you'd have to watch the TV cut for it to be eligible for the TV on DVD* Challenge, but the Academy Awards Challenge permits you to watch any cut of an Oscar-nominated film. It's a sort of "squares and rectangles" thing.
Oh, yes. I do remember reading that now. Thanks. I obviously blanked it on the Oscars side for some reason!

I know this is all nit-picky, and I trust you (and everyone else) realize that part of this is just the nature of such things. I'm perfectly open to making changes in the guidelines of the challenge if that's what's desired but the main reason for the pickiness is simply to guard against using the existence of TV series to justify watching a lot of movies. That would be contrary to the spirit of the challenge, and our best safeguard against that is to be fairly restrictive about which movies are eligible in the first place.
Oh, I agree completely. It's a TV challenge. Until I read the guidelines, I wouldn't have thought any films would have been eligible, although it does make sense that the few that are, are.

That's a fun discussion to have, but perhaps best suited for another thread. I will say, though, that the centuries-old Tao te ching is not in my estimation the kind of text that invites one to arbitrarily decide how to demonstrate the application of the text to modernity in the course of translation. I think it particularly absurd and borderline insulting because it presumes that the kind of reader who would even bother with something like the Tao needs to have those kinds of dots connected for him or her in the first place. I mean, come on. Have a little respect for, and trust in, your target demographic!
Agreed on all fronts! Especially your conclusion - although it is one that seems to escape far too many people, companies and managements in every walk of life, but particularly TV and film...
Old 01-31-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts

I completed my three goals. I watched season 3 of Starsky & Hutch, season 3 of The Bob Newhart Show, and season 4 of Sons of Anarchy.

Now I need to find a good deal on season 4 of Starsky & Hutch so I can finish the series next January.
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
As you may have noticed, I've been on something of a Dragnet kick during this challenge. I had picked up a box set of 22 of the 1950s episodes last year and started watching those (12 so far). I picked up box sets of DRAGNET 1967 and 1968 at Book Off earlier this month and watched some of those. Well, last night, I was in Book Off again and found box sets of DRAGNET 1969 and 1970, so I picked those up and watched three of those episodes this morning. The 1969 episode I watched features Sgt. Friday and Officer Gannon as guests on a talk show defending the police from attacks by all the usual suspects--including black militants, pot advocates and the hippie publisher of an underground newspaper played by Howard Hesseman! Great stuff.

So now I have the entire run of Dragnet's 1960s revival.
If you like the TV show, you should give a listen to the radio show (if you haven't already). The radio show and the TV show co-existed for a few years in the '50s.

Last edited by Dimension X; 01-31-13 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-31-13, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
[The author of the Big Bang Theory article] just didn't seem like he was being honest and already had his mind made up about what a show is trying to mean without really experiencing it with an open mind and then coming to a conclusion.

It's a bit like some posts I was reading somewhere else about men in media. They're saying it's a male dominated thing and prove it by pointing out shows that have a dominate male with lesser status females...
There was a great moment on Newsnight Review (UK) where Germaine Greer appeared to argue that Saving Private Ryan was indicative of sexism in the media because there weren't enough female characters in it. Ignoring the setting and other historical factors completely.
Old 01-31-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ntnon
Although I'm interested, I've never really investigate the DTV DC films, but my suspicion was always that some of them were tied into the continuities of one-or-other cartoon series. I know some of the recent Batman ones are in the same universe as the Nolan films, but that's not relevant here.
Only Batman: Gotham Knight is set in the Nolanverse. A couple of the Justice League movies are more or less considered to be part of the same continuity as the 2001 animated series, though both of those are a bit disputable for nit-picky reasons.

Yes, and as I say I have no direct knowledge or vested interest - other than helping in your list compiling - but I was sure that M*A*S*H-the-series was directly spun-off from M*A*S*H-the-film - it's included in the Complete TV Martinis and Medicine collection, isn't it..?
Oh, good catch! That box set inclusion is more than enough to settle that one as far as I'm concerned, particularly since this is the TV on DVD* Challenge. It wouldn't be very fair or reasonable to exclude the movie from this challenge since it's in the box set with the TV show!
Old 01-31-13, 09:34 AM

I might make it to 250, but I'm trying to get to the Oscar-y films I borrowed from the Library before they have to go back.

I did manage to finish a couple of different Seasons, which I was pleased about. And all of Yes, Minister (bar the two episodes I watched in November) and a (very short) mini-series - Gormenghast - that was something I wasn't expecting to have time for.

I wasn't able to find an episode of You Wish on YouTube or video, though, which means I can't watch all of some newly-discovered-by-me ABC TGIF Time Warp crossover. Oh well. Maybe it'll get a real release at some point, since it doesn't sound awful.

Ran out of time for TVMs, though, so my ill-thought-through super-list has completely fallen by the wayside in that large part.

Last edited by ntnon; 01-31-13 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-31-13, 09:38 AM

Only Batman: Gotham Knight is set in the Nolanverse. A couple of the Justice League movies are more or less considered to be part of the same continuity as the 2001 animated series, though both of those are a bit disputable for nit-picky reasons.
When - if - I ever have any money again, all the DC things are on my long list to investigate and buy, but I thought I'd read about two or three linking into Nolan. That's mildly disappointing!

Oh, good catch! That box set inclusion is more than enough to settle that one as far as I'm concerned, particularly since this is the TV on DVD* Challenge. It wouldn't be very fair or reasonable to exclude the movie from this challenge since it's in the box set with the TV show!
Phew! I thought I was making a fool of myself for a while... I'm fairly sure someone gave me the boxset for Christmas a couple of years ago, and although I've not got to it yet, I thought I'd remembered the film being in there, so it finally occurred to me to check what Amazon says. One more crossover possibility for next year.
Old 01-31-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ntnon
When - if - I ever have any money again, all the DC things are on my long list to investigate and buy, but I thought I'd read about two or three linking into Nolan. That's mildly disappointing!
It's possible that what you read may have made reference to either Batman: Year One and/or Batman: The Dark Knight Returns as being adaptations of source material that influenced Nolan's trilogy. Also, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 came out around September, so it was timed between The Dark Knight Rises' theatrical and home video release dates, so maybe that was the reference?
Old 01-31-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing I noticed about the DVD version of Farewell Big Brother.

Spoiler:
When Roy collapsed, you actually saw the blood soaking the back of his uniform jacket, so you knew he was dying, but in the tv version which I had always seen, I never remember seeing the blood before.
Old 01-31-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've watched 129 episodes so far, of varying lengths, 30 min. to 2 hours. (I'm counting by episode, regardless of length.)

Can't say I achieved my goals. There were just too many to accomplish in a month and I got sidetracked by my Dragnet obsession (which is quite a significant discovery for me) and the first season of "Sex and the City," something that offered a break from all the action and violent stuff I watched and actually made me laugh and which I know I wouldn't have watched except for this challenge.

I hadn't put "Rocky Jones, Space Ranger" on my priority list, but I wound up watching all three feature compilations of that series (compiled from a total of nine original episodes) and I was very impressed with what I saw. It's a much better show than you'd gather from watching the MST3K versions.

I really liked the "Bonanza" episodes I watched and could easily sit for more of those.

I feel bad that I didn't get to more anime series in my collection, plus several Japanese live-action series, but those are items I'll tackle during the year anyway, whereas I might not have cracked open the Dragnet and Bonanza sets without the Challenge (and certainly not the Sex and the City set).

I tried watching a documentary last night on PBS, NOVA: "Who Killed Lindbergh's Baby?," but I fell asleep before the half-way mark and can't include it.

Starting tomorrow I watch Academy Award winners/nominees. It'll be harder, because these films are a lot longer and more demanding than a Power Rangers episode.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-31-13 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-31-13, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I feel bad that I didn't get to more anime series in my collection, but those are items I'll tackle during the year anyway, whereas I might not have cracked open the Dragnet and Bonanza sets without the Challenge (and certainly not the Sex and the City set).
I meant to bring this up earlier in the month, actually! I stared at seasons of The 4400 and She-Ra, Princess of Power that I have on DVD a few times when trying to decide what to get into, and each time I put them back with the thought of coming to them later in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Animation Challenges, respectively. Anyone else find their selections influenced by the eligibility of watching something later for another challenge?
Old 01-31-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I meant to bring this up earlier in the month, actually! I stared at seasons of The 4400 and She-Ra, Princess of Power that I have on DVD a few times when trying to decide what to get into, and each time I put them back with the thought of coming to them later in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy and Animation Challenges, respectively. Anyone else find their selections influenced by the eligibility of watching something later for another challenge?
I bought both Volumes of She Ra Season 1, and Season 1 of He Man with the plan of watching during the challenge, and never even opened them.
Old 01-31-13, 11:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

I'm sitting at home, ignoring my huge to-do list, and decided to read through the list thread. As always, I am shamed by some truly beautiful lists; and see tons of shows that I wish I was watching. In an effort to help others, and perhaps mostly take up my time and satisfy my OCD, here is a list of a few of us that need to update our list post.

Surfinhawk - you're fine actually, except you're at 666 posts so I urge you to post anything somewhere before I bribe a mod to change your username to Antichrist

LorenzoL - no updates since the 6th

Cronenbergfan71 - empty

Corey31 - nothing since the 8th

Quake1028 - empty

coyoteblue - empty

DarkGod - I think you hit quote instead of edit on your list twice; you probably should combine your three posts into one.

ThatsAllFolks - nothing since the 4th

TheManInBlack - nothing since the 3rd

UndeadCow - nothing since the 16th

Chad - nothing since the 9th

Kstublen - empty

Bladz - nothing since the 10th

If I had PMs I'd PM all the above, so perhaps someone else who is bored can do that? Or I'll get masochistic later, turn PMs back on, and do it. MinLShaw has done enough work this Challenge so the rest of us can help out a bit.

Everyone not listed has updated at least through the first three weeks. Unless I screwed up of course.
Old 01-31-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 664 Likes on 482 Posts

I hadn't put "Rocky Jones, Space Ranger" on my priority list, but I wound up watching all three feature compilations of that series (compiled from a total of nine original episodes) and I was very impressed with what I saw. It's a much better show than you'd gather from watching the MST3K versions.
If you liked those compilations then you really need to pick up the Mill Creek Classic Sci-Fi TV collection (amazon link). It has 23 full episodes of the series along with lots of other early TV SF goodness. It's a very fun set! The 3 serials that are on the set (The Phantom Empire, Radar Men from the Moon, and The Undersea Kingdom) have the best prints I've seen to date.
I really liked the "Bonanza" episodes I watched and could easily sit for more of those.
Same here. I'd kind of watched it years ago when the TV station I worked for ran it in syndication. We'd watch parts around doing commercial production when possible. I recently purchased S2V1 just to see if it still held up for me and was pleasantly surprised to find that it does. Picking up more sets has moved up my priority list.
Starting tomorrow I watch Academy Award winners/nominees. It'll be harder, because these films are a lot longer and more demanding than a Power Rangers episode.
I'm still on the fence with that one this year for that very reason. I've enjoyed a full month of nothing but TV so much I'm tempted to continue with it a bit longer.
Old 01-31-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
If you liked those compilations then you really need to pick up the Mill Creek Classic Sci-Fi TV collection (amazon link). It has 23 full episodes of the series along with lots of other early TV SF goodness. It's a very fun set! The 3 serials that are on the set (The Phantom Empire, Radar Men from the Moon, and The Undersea Kingdom) have the best prints I've seen to date.
Wow, I never heard of that set. Just for Rocky Jones, the serials and the Flash Gordon TV eps, it's worth it. Thanks!
Old 01-31-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just hit my personal goal of 100 items watched with the Secrets of the Space Probes episode of The Universe, seen on H2. Now I can relaqx a little. Maybe watch something that gets double credit for both the Academy Award and TV on DVD Challenge, perhaps Star Trek the Motion Picture.
Old 01-31-13, 05:06 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I managed to finish the checklist just now by finishing the second season of Star Trek: The Animated Series. This has been a great challenge, just a little frustrating with the mixing in of the Academy Awards Challenge.
Old 01-31-13, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,044 Likes on 861 Posts

My main goal was to hit triple digits, and I just did that with Game Change (also checking off TV Movie in the process), which I really liked. It jibed with my memory of historical events, but who knows about the rest.

To my knowledge without rechecking my list, I think it was also my first BD viewing of the challenge, which is pretty strange for me. Embracing the asterisk, I've dabbled in a lot of streaming--Xbox, Amazon Prime, Comcast on Demand--and some of the DVD content I've watched (e.g., Buffy) is not on BD.

I've ticked off some major accomplishments. Sure, I would have liked to watch more, but that's always the case.
Old 01-31-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Going into this challenge, I mainly wanted to finish off the Kids in the Hall Megaset and get to Firefly. I did do both and I was able to finish the checklist. Another bonus, I passed 100 and am really close to 200, but won't make it past it tonight. At least I have something to aim for next year!

Tonight, I do hope to finish the Penelope Pitstop series. Have one more disc to get through and if I get going after I finish what I'm watching now, I should be able to do it.

Last edited by LJG765; 01-31-13 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-31-13, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm done. During the challenge, I managed to watch 5 seasons of Sons of Anarchy, 4 seasons of How I Met Your Mother, 1 season each of American Horror Story, Big Bang Theory, Holliston,and Party Down. Plus, several episodes of Girls, Glee, The Office and WWE Monday Night Raw.

My only regret is not having the stamina to finish Harper's Island. I managed to watch 11 of 13 episodes. I just don't have the energy to watch anything else tonight so I'll finish it at a later date.
Old 01-31-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

Finshed up this evening and logged 108.5 hours of television viewing for the month. The last half hour episode helped me to eclipse my total from last year. Always enjoy this challenge, though I typically slow down at the end of the month when I start to mix in some Academy Awards stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.