Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla vs Megalon - Media Blasters - 14 Aug 2012

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-25-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock had plans to put out special edition Bluray and DVD releases of this title, but they apparently made Toho mad with unauthorized extras on the Destroy All Monsters release, and they couldn't get clearance for any extras for Megalon. So as of the 14th, they released a barebones movie only DVD, saying on their Facebook page they might try again for an SE Bluray down the road.

Since the only other version of Megalon I have is the MST3K version, I sprung for the DVD.

I just posted this in the Godzilla thread in HD talk, but wanted to post in this forum too since there was no chatter.

Watched the Megalon DVD last night. I'm not an expert judge of transfers and such, but I'll say that I was never distracted by any flaws. I watched on a 46" LCD Samsung, upconverted via Panasonic BDP-215.

Over at Tohokingdom forums, somebody posted a frame of a cropped scene, looks like Media Blasters took a scene from a 16x9 HD cropped transfer, then matted it down further to 2.35. But I didn't notice any other issues. I don't have another widescreen transfer to compare it to, but just eyeballing it and watching for composition and framing.

First post here has the images.
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/vie...8947&start=570

Otherwise I thought it looked pretty good. It's sub and dub and 16x9. The nudie pictures in the truck cab are even there.

Even if they ever get a Bluray disc out, it would take a lot of really good extras for me to upgrade, the picture quality will do fine for me.

It's currently $12.03 on Amazon (how do I make a referral link for DVDTalk?)
Old 10-14-12, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Godzilla vs Megalon - Media Blasters - 14 Aug 2012

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/vie...425641#p425641

So, apparently Media Blasters had the SE discs already pressed and ready to go last year when the problem with Destroy All Monsters hit the fan. Not only have some of those original pressing discs with all the extras slipped into the supply chain, there are also discs pressed with the barebones DVD catalog# but with the extras. I just found one of these at FYE in Schaumburg, IL.

There's no way to tell from the outside packaging, but if you feel like gambling $15, you just might get lucky.
Old 10-14-12, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/vie...425641#p425641

So, apparently Media Blasters had the SE discs already pressed and ready to go last year when the problem with Destroy All Monsters hit the fan. Not only have some of those original pressing discs with all the extras slipped into the supply chain, there are also discs pressed with the barebones DVD catalog# but with the extras. I just found one of these at FYE in Schaumburg, IL.

There's no way to tell from the outside packaging, but if you feel like gambling $15, you just might get lucky.
I got a FYE branch in my neighborhood. I'm gonna go check. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-14-12, 09:30 PM

One thing's for sure, between the DAM thing and now this, you can bet that Toho will never let them put out a proper special edition Blu of Megalon. Regardless of which SD version you get, get them while they last.
Old 10-23-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some enlightenment:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2...ix-up-mystery/

Based on the reorder figures the pressing would have been well under 1000 copies, with the numbers most likely much closer to 500. No more copies of the Special Edition will be pressed until Toho completes their approvals for the extra features.
Old 10-24-12, 03:04 PM

Just received in the mail today a copy that includes all the extras, so a huge thumbs up to the thread starter!
Old 10-25-12, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdnitoil View Post
Just received in the mail today a copy that includes all the extras, so a huge thumbs up to the thread starter!
Glad you got a good one!
Old 10-25-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you order it from Amazon or a 3rd party?
Old 10-25-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Got mine and no extras. Oh, well. glad I got the title before it went OOP.
Old 10-25-12, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Did you order it from Amazon or a 3rd party?
Actually, I checked out a few different message boards to find out where folks were getting them from. The biggest online ones folks were mentioning were Amazon and an Ebay etailer called Movie Mars. I originally placed an order with Movie Mars but got a message saying my order would be delayed because of stock issues. I cancelled the order, figuring they'd be out of the good ones. I went back and found a couple of guys on a classic horror message board mentioning that they got good copies from importcds. I placed an order with them, it said it was in stock and shipped within 24 hours and, sure enough, I get a good version. The only issue was that their shipping is slow and it took a week to finally receive it.

If I were to try this again, I'd give importcds a shot, assuming they claim to have it in stock. Otherwise, I'd try another online place that carries inventory and claims to have it in stock. Perhaps something like DVD Pacific, although I don't recall if they actually carry their own inventory.
Old 10-25-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard Movie Mars is a bust now, and I got mine from Amazon. I'll just wait for the features to possibly surface on YouTube or something. You never know, maybe that BD will come one day after all...
Old 10-25-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The other place is FYE, which is where I got mine.
Old 10-27-12, 03:09 AM

Decided not to roll the dice and picked up a copy with confirmed extras on eBay. Bit pricier, but with all the twists and turns this release has taken, it seemed worth it to make sure I'd have it in my collection.

If that means it's now inevitable the extras will be part of a Blu release one day, so be it!
Old 10-30-12, 01:15 PM

What exactly are the extras?
Old 10-30-12, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by wahlers View Post
What exactly are the extras?
Commentary, galleries, an interview, trailers and an easter egg of over 30 minutes worth of domestic trailers for all kinds of Japanese sci-fi over the years stitched together.

It's pretty darn packed for this sort of genre release.
Old 10-30-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Commentary, galleries, an interview, trailers and an easter egg of over 30 minutes worth of domestic trailers for all kinds of Japanese sci-fi over the years stitched together.

It's pretty darn packed for this sort of genre release.
That's the crazy thing, Media Blasters is taking a lot of shit for their handling of the release, but the disc itself is damn fine. Not only the great extras, but the transfer is very nice. I watched on a 46" LCD and it will do just fine in lieu of the Bluray for many years.
Old 11-04-12, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A week or two ago, I checked my local FYE and couldn't find GODZILLA VS. MEGALON. Today, I checked again and there it was, for $14.99. I bought it, took it home and checked it out. The extras are there. I'm listening to the commentary right now. The catalog number is 1222.

The trailers include some recent films, including DEATH KAPPA and a modern-day version of HANSEL AND GRETEL that I'd never heard of before but looks intriguing. I just looked it up on IMDB and I think it's the 2007 South Korean version.

P.S. The audio commentary with Steve Ryfle and Stuart Galbraith IV includes a ten-minute interview with Mel Maron, who distributed G VS. MEGALON in the U.S. in 1976. Good stuff.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-04-12 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-06-12, 02:31 PM
Cool New Member

I rolled the dice with importcds and I didn't get the special features
Old 11-09-12, 08:40 PM

No luck with MovieMars or FamilyVideo.com
Old 11-10-12, 09:50 AM

Sounds like everybody has blown through their reprint stock at this point. With any luck, they'll get the features cleared through Toho and be able to release this properly.
Old 11-15-12, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found 2 at FYE yesterday, one for me, one for my brother, both had special features. Plus I got a $5 coupon for spending $30. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-30-12, 01:31 AM

If you never got DAM, better do so soon. They're up to $50 on Amazon.