Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by Screwadu
Hmm 'Urban Horror'...so is this horror that happens in "the big city", or just "the hood"? For example, would some giant critter rampaging through downtown count, or does it have to be more along the lines of Blacula? According to this link, urban horror seems to mean monster/killer-in-the-ghetto. Clarification?
I guess it can't be Blacula because that was one of my suggestions, and it wasn't used, leaving me stuck with the one category I wanted absolutely nothing to do with: Viking Decapitation Via Windmill - NetherHorror Vs. Norwegian Horror.
Old 09-20-12, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Chad,

Noroi was for the Asian buffet theme; for Apartment Horror, I suggested 2LDK. Noroi probably doesn't fit into the Apartment Horror theme easily, but I've never seen it.

If somebody's got a better Apartment Horror pick, you could give it to them and put my suggestion of The Night Strangler in for Richard Matheson night.
I haven't seen it either, but the reason I included that as opposed to the other was because it was on this IMDB Best "Apartment" Horror Movies list at #10 I have as a theme nights link and it's streaming on YouTube. So anyone who's seen this feel free to chime in.

Hmm 'Urban Horror'...so is this horror that happens in "the big city", or just "the hood"? For example, would some giant critter rampaging through downtown count, or does it have to be more along the lines of Blacula? According to this link, urban horror seems to mean shot-in-the-ghetto. Clarification?
Anything that takes place in the city, so either. And shit. Just realized Blacula was a pic that I didn't include in that category.

Edit: I'll put yours as a Rubber Suit film.

Last edited by Chad; 09-20-12 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-20-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wouldn't my original picks of The Giant Claw/Them! qualify for rubber suit movies?
Fixed.

Originally Posted by clckworang
I guess it can't be Blacula because that was one of my suggestions, and it wasn't used, leaving me stuck with the one category I wanted absolutely nothing to do with: Viking Decapitation Via Windmill - NetherHorror Vs. Norwegian Horror.
And fixed.
Old 09-20-12, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heart you dude.
Old 09-20-12, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Wouldn't my original picks of The Giant Claw/Them! qualify for rubber suit movies?
I think that this needs to be opened up for discussion.

No offense, Screwadu, but I don't feel that either of those films have a rubber suit in them. I took "rubber suit" to mean a costume worn by a person. The films you mentioned have puppets in them.

HOWEVER--

If this doesn't bother anyone else, then I'm certainly happy to go along with the majority.

P.S. If nobody has objections, Noroi is super-cool with me as the pick for Apartment Horror. I didn't know it was in that link you provided, Chad.
Old 09-20-12, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that this needs to be opened up for discussion.

No offense, Screwadu, but I don't feel that either of those films have a rubber suit in them. I took "rubber suit" to mean a costume worn by a person. The films you mentioned have puppets in them.
I don't see it either.
Old 09-20-12, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had taken the phrase 'rubber suit' to mean 'obviously fake monster' instead of literally. If I have to change it, I'll come up with something else.

you people just don't want to see the giant claw you're not fooling me
Old 09-20-12, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I don't see it either.
A rubber suit movie would be something like Creature From the Black Lagoon or Alien.
Old 09-20-12, 06:38 PM

Dammit! You've found out!

Actually, I have a soft spot in my heart for The Giant Claw. When I was a kid, my dad and I went to spend the weekend with my grandmother right after my grandfather died. The Giant Claw was on the Late Show that Saturday night, and my dad and I stayed up to watch it after my grandmother went to bed. It turned out to be so awful that Dad and I ended up heckling the movie together and laughing ourselves silly.

Good times.
Old 09-20-12, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for adding my suggestion, Chad. I was thinking of the urban theme when I suggested Blacula, but I figured I might have missed the mark or something.

For those of you who have MGM-HD, Blacula is scheduled to show on Monday, Sept. 24 at 8:40 a.m., Eastern time. I've already got my DVR set. I would suggest people with DVRs and space to fill take a look at horror movies that are showing the rest of September. I often find a lot of good stuff that doesn't air in October.
Old 09-20-12, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my choice for the "scream queens" subset is RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD (Linnea Quigley)
Old 09-20-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Rubber Suit could also be kaiju. On another note, I saw on my local news tonight, a horror movie about werewolves is being filmed in s city about 70 miles from me. Don't quite me, as I couldn't hear the title clearly, but it sounded like somethingt along the lines of Wolf Island. Among the stars is the little girl from Jurassic Park, and the President from 24. Too bad I don't have a car, or I would see if I could get a spot as an extra.
Old 09-20-12, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If this doesn't bother anyone else, then I'm certainly happy to go along with the majority.

P.S. If nobody has objections, Noroi is super-cool with me as the pick for Apartment Horror. I didn't know it was in that link you provided, Chad.
If it's alright, although I don't mind changing it back. Originally I did have it as the selection, but then noticed Noroi had a streaming link and just trying to include as many of those as I can.

I had taken the phrase 'rubber suit' to mean 'obviously fake monster' instead of literally. If I have to change it, I'll come up with something else.

Sorry, I should have noticed that and said something being I'm the one that made the list. Anyway, just make another rubber suit selection or I could give you one of the 4 leftover themes if you'd prefer.

I feel like breaking out the Sam Katzman boxset now.

Thanks for adding my suggestion, Chad. I was thinking of the urban theme when I suggested Blacula, but I figured I might have missed the mark or something.
No problem. I've probably seen it 10 times and why I didn't have the good sense to put it under Urban is beyond me.

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
my choice for the "scream queens" subset is RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD (Linnea Quigley)
I'll add it.
Old 09-20-12, 07:07 PM

Quick point of order question:

I'm planning on watching Hangover Square for the first time as my "Bernard Herrman" checklist item. If I then watch it with commentary, do I count it as a first-time "viewing" since I've never listened to the commentary...or do I NOT count it as a first-time viewing since I've actually VIEWED the movie before?

Yeah, semantics, I know. But how would YOU count it?
Old 09-20-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's another one that I could have sworn had been a daily pick a previous year, but it wasn't. I must be getting old.
Old 09-20-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright, you couldn't just accept The Giant Claw. That's not "rubber suit" you said. "Rubber suit" is a guy in a rubber suit, you said.

So my pick is...Creature From the Haunted Sea. And it's available on YouTube. Gaze into what you have wrought!

maybe next time you'll let me have my &@#$* giant claw

Old 09-20-12, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's another one that I could have sworn had been a daily pick a previous year, but it wasn't. I must be getting old.
yea, i had to triple check it.
Old 09-20-12, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quick point of order question:

I'm planning on watching Hangover Square for the first time as my "Bernard Herrman" checklist item. If I then watch it with commentary, do I count it as a first-time "viewing" since I've never listened to the commentary...or do I NOT count it as a first-time viewing since I've actually VIEWED the movie before?

Yeah, semantics, I know. But how would YOU count it?
There's definitely no wrong way to count this. I choose to count only films as first-time viewings, not commentaries. I know other people do count commentaries toward their first-time tally, and I do understand that viewpoint, especially because most of us are collectors who like to know we're getting our money's worth from our purchases. I guess I see a commentary as more of an extra about the film and not really an independent thing, as opposed to something like a documentary that can exist outside of the movie. That's just my view on it, but it all comes down to how you choose to look at things.

yea, i had to triple check it.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one!
Old 09-20-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Alright, you couldn't just accept The Giant Claw. That's not "rubber suit" you said. "Rubber suit" is a guy in a rubber suit, you said.

So my pick is...Creature From the Haunted Sea. And it's available on YouTube. Gaze into what you have wrought!

IMHO you could not have come up with a "better" replacement title.
Old 09-20-12, 08:13 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Ok, Chad, how about The Last Man on Earth which is streaming on Netflix. Hasn't been on any of the subsets either.
Old 09-20-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Someone picked Chillerama...weren't we ruling out anthologies?

Originally Posted by Chad
indiephantom ----> Angst-Ridden with Blemishes Hidden - Teen Screams
Nice challenge! This is my third round of picks!

Okay, I have found a couple that sound pretty cool, fit the bill, and are streaming on Netflix instant. I'm trying hard to avoid the most obvious and look for something different, which is a big part of what I like to do in this challenge.

So I'm suggesting either Forget Me Not

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/170875

or It's My Party and I'll Die If I Want To

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/168057

Both look to have serious potential, are pretty recent, and are already in my queue for the challenge!
Old 09-20-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I have Creature from the Haunted Sea on one of my MC sets.
Old 09-20-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone looking for a 1950s or Criterion film to fill the void, I would recommend Diabolique (1955). Just checked this out last night and was impressed.
Old 09-20-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
And finally, here's a very stripped down version of the subset list so far:
25. (It was a Dark and Stormy Night... - Campground Tales) Lake Mungo (2008) - Darth Maher NWI
Awesome! That is the one I wanted to check out the most. I just picked up my copy from the library tonight.

Actually, I have a soft spot in my heart for The Giant Claw. When I was a kid, my dad and I went to spend the weekend with my grandmother right after my grandfather died. The Giant Claw was on the Late Show that Saturday night, and my dad and I stayed up to watch it after my grandmother went to bed. It turned out to be so awful that Dad and I ended up heckling the movie together and laughing ourselves silly.

Good times.
That is an awesome story. I hope to have a relationship with my kids like that one day. I think I will check out The Giant Claw as well this time around.
Old 09-20-12, 10:09 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

...~10 more days.

Sam's Club has various MGM blu-rays for $7.98 including Jeepers Creepers, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, The Omen, Misery, Nightwatch, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (MGM, blu-ray only no combo), Otis / Dr Giggles (2 pack), Thirteen Ghosts / House of Wax (2 pack), probably others. Also some DVDs at $5 (including Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3) and Tales from the Crypt seasons at ~$8.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-20-12 at 10:18 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.