Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by Chad
Guys, don't forget both "horror anthologies" and "psychological" have been removed from theme nights this year. Both are exclusive to the checklist.
Dead of Night also works for supernatural.
Old 09-16-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

-X- Cannibalism - Waxwork
-X- Extraterrestrial - Waxwork
-X- Killer / Evil Animal - Waxwork
I could be wrong but I don't remember any of these from Waxwork
Old 09-16-12, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't remember Frankenstein from Waxwork either but it's been awhile.
Old 09-16-12, 05:12 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
For the past few days I've been wondering if I should participate or not. After telling my family about this and getting their opinion I've decided that yes, I will indeed be participating. The goal for me is 101, and whether I reach it or not I'm really looking forward to it!

I'd like some advice though. 100 movies in 31 days is a lot. 101 movies in 31 days is a lot plus 1. How do you get through it without getting burnout? I'm going to try to make it 101 movies that I have not seen so I think that might keep things fresh. Any tips?
Welcome! I usually start getting burnt out around week 3 of the challenge, but by then I've watched over 100 movies. By the end of the month, I don't want to watch any horror for at least a month!

I am able to stream at work, so that's where I watch some of the movies. I can average about 3-7 per day if I'm lucky and then on weekends about 12-15 depending on how late I stay up or how early I get up.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-16-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
For the past few days I've been wondering if I should participate or not. After telling my family about this and getting their opinion I've decided that yes, I will indeed be participating. The goal for me is 101, and whether I reach it or not I'm really looking forward to it!

I'd like some advice though. 100 movies in 31 days is a lot. 101 movies in 31 days is a lot plus 1. How do you get through it without getting burnout? I'm going to try to make it 101 movies that I have not seen so I think that might keep things fresh. Any tips?
Mix things up and don't get stuck in a rut of watching one type of horror film. If you've watched a few slashers in a row throw in a slow burning ghost story. Or if you're wearing yourself out with "heavier" movies throw in some cheesy popcorn flicks to lighten the load on your mind. And get friends and family involved in watching with you. Their suggestion on viewing titles may lead you to something you wouldn't have watched at the moment and help you pull through a burnout. It's always fun to be able to talk about the movie you just watched or make fun of the craptastic Asylum movie that is on the screen with someone else.

As for reaching 100 I've done it every year I've participated (first year was aided greatly by 3 wild cards) but I think of it as 3 titles a day for 31 days = 93 titles. Throw in 7 more movies throughout the month and you're there.
Old 09-16-12, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My subset suggestions:

Next of Kin (1982) - fits slasher/giallo - on Youtube
Long Weekend - fits campground horror
The Sadist - fits 60's horror
The Dark Side of the Moon or The Pyx - fit satanic/possession
Old 09-16-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Mix things up and don't get stuck in a rut of watching one type of horror film. If you've watched a few slashers in a row throw in a slow burning ghost story. Or if you're wearing yourself out with "heavier" movies throw in some cheesy popcorn flicks to lighten the load on your mind. And get friends and family involved in watching with you. Their suggestion on viewing titles may lead you to something you wouldn't have watched at the moment and help you pull through a burnout. It's always fun to be able to talk about the movie you just watched or make fun of the craptastic Asylum movie that is on the screen with someone else.

As for reaching 100 I've done it every year I've participated (first year was aided greatly by 3 wild cards) but I think of it as 3 titles a day for 31 days = 93 titles. Throw in 7 more movies throughout the month and you're there.
Also bear in mind:
1. You can watch a lot during weekends.
2. Many older films clock in at 60-70 minutes so you can burn through quite a few in a relatively short block of time.
3. You can have a movie on while you do other things in the same room. For example, I have TV/DVD set up in my kitchen. so I'll watch a movie while I'm cooking dinner or doing the dishes.
Old 09-16-12, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I could be wrong but I don't remember any of these from Waxwork
Originally Posted by Screwadu
I don't remember Frankenstein from Waxwork either but it's been awhile.
The Eighteen most evil beings used in the film are; the Marquis de Sade, the werewolf, Count Dracula and his son and brides, the Phantom of the Opera, The Mummy, Romero-style Zombies, Frankenstein's monster, Jack the Ripper, the Invisible Man, a voodoo priest, a witch, a snakeman, pods from Invasion of the Body Snatchers, a mutant baby, an axe murderer, a multi-eyed alien, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
Evil animals include a vampire bat and werewolf in wolf form. Imdb lists cannibalism and I recall one guy strapped to a table where they had been feasting on his leg.
Old 09-16-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
What podcast is this? I listen to the Horror Etc Podcast.
I beleive it was House of Horror Podcast.

They did a 10 Scariest Moments show. Both of them picked Lake Mungo.
Old 09-16-12, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Evil animals include a vampire bat and werewolf in wolf form. Imdb lists cannibalism and I recall one guy strapped to a table where they had been feasting on his leg.
Weren't the ones chomping on his leg vampires or something? I haven't seen it in a while. I just remember Deborah Foreman looking adorable... As usual.

How is Waxwork II ?
Old 09-16-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Weren't the ones chomping on his leg vampires or something? I haven't seen it in a while. I just remember Deborah Foreman looking adorable... As usual.

How is Waxwork II ?
Thinking about it now, that part might have been the vampire story.

For some reason, I've never seen Waxwork from start to finish. When I caught it on TV, it was always at the vampire scene but the film's just so crazy, it's not an easy one to miss the beginning and jump halfway into. I even started streaming it in the sci-fi challenge, as it has so many genres, including sci-fi and fantasy. I got about halfway in before I thought I owned it in one of those recent 8 movie packs, which I did. Didn't want to watch it by streaming if I owned the DVD and hadn't watched that yet, so naturally I put it off and never got back to it.

But this time, it'll be different and I'll really finish it or I promise to quit these challenges altogether.

Never seen part 2 but apparently Godzilla's in it, so that should count for the rubber suit theme night
Old 09-16-12, 10:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Waxwork II is also really enjoyable, and adds a ton to the checklist (if I remember correctly).

Deadgirl would work great for zombie night.

I'd also throw in Masque of the Red Death if I could think of a good place for it to go...
Old 09-16-12, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Chad, how does Count Yorgo: Vampire sound for either exploitation or art? It works for either, really...
I'd say so.

Originally Posted by Darkgod
All this talk of Horror podcasts, I will be on The Cutting Room (Here) on Oct. 1st. I will be on using the name Brian Bras(my wrestling name) and def. put a few plugs in for the Oct. Horror Challenge/
Cool!

Dead of Night also works for supernatural.
I think that spot's taken but I can probably put it under art house horror. And suddenly I'm regretting not picking up the Dead of Night/Queen of Spades DVD before going OOP.
Old 09-16-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just spent some time getting my list post started with stuff and decided to take a look back through my previous lists. It's fun going back through and seeing what I watched and how I feel about the movies now. I must have been in a bad mood when I watched Jason X in 2009 because I enjoyed the movie before then and since then but only gave it a 5/10 on that day.
Old 09-17-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And suddenly I'm regretting not picking up the Dead of Night/Queen of Spades DVD before going OOP.
It's a great disc - Queen of Spades is excellent in its own right. There was a UK Blu-ray in the works, but that seems to have been cancelled.
Old 09-17-12, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that spot's taken but I can probably put it under art house horror. And suddenly I'm regretting not picking up the Dead of Night/Queen of Spades DVD before going OOP.
I almost mentioned it for that category but I was 50/50 on if it counted or not. While the double feature would be nice, I picked up this version http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Night-Mic.../dp/B000W4876S

There was a review on the b&w cover version that the print looked bad. Thanks to amazon for making the reviews that much harder to determine which review goes to which version, since they mixed them all together.
Old 09-17-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, Dead of Night is currently on YouTube and airs October 10 at 1:30 AM (EST) on TCM so there's plenty of options for viewing. Of course, I'll always add the streaming links to the subset threads when available.
Old 09-17-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FYI, some of the links in the checklist are dead. One is the BFI 100 list and there was another one that went to some grindhouse type site. Forgot which one it was, sorry.

Here's a another link to the BFI list if you needed one http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/bf...ms/apronikoff/
Old 09-17-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, some of the links in the checklist are dead. One is the BFI 100 list and there was another one that went to some grindhouse type site. Forgot which one it was, sorry.

Here's a another link to the BFI list if you needed one http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/bf...ms/apronikoff/
Thanks. Looks likes there's also a few that have no hyperlinks at all I need to add. And I think theme nights has a few dead links as well.
Old 09-17-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So unless I overlooked some earlier posts, I'm counting 27 people giving or committing to subset picks so far, which means we still need 4 more people:

1. Viewaskewbian - Chillerama

2. orlmac - The Fearless Vampire Killers, Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter, House of Dark Shadows

3. riotinmyskull - Sundown - Vampire in Retreat

4. Chad - The Innkeepers, The Vampire Lovers

5. Gobear - Murder Party, Audition, The Baby, Vanishing on 7th Street, The Last Wave, Fido, Rammbock, Thirst, Dumplings, R-Point

6. clckworang - Equinox, The Thing from Another World, Blacula, Tam Lin, Madhouse

7. Screwadu - The Giant Claw, Them!

8. sterlingBen - Frankenhooker, Night of the Living Dead (1990), Juan Of The Dead

9. ororama - A Tale of Two Sisters, Kuroneko

10. Bladz - Deep Red, The Host, Rabid

11. tarfrimmer - I Sell the Dead, Pontypool, Tucker & Dale Vs Evil, Silver Bullet

12. shellebelle - The Woman in Black, Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies, Carrie

13. BobO'Link - The Wolf Man, White Zombie, Nosferatu the Vampire

14. rbrown498 - Noroi: The Curse, The Night Strangler, 2LDK

15. arw6040 - Night of the Demon, Popcorn, Road Games, The Eye (2002), The Cabin in the Woods, Mother's Day (2010)

16. Undeadcow - The Brain that Wouldn't Die, Dead Heat, Fascination

17. edwardnortonfan - Colin

18. Mister Peepers - Dead of Night

19. NoirFan - Count Yorga: Vampire

20. Darkgod - Night of the Werewolf, The Werewolf vs the Vampire Woman

21. Darth Maher - Halloween II, Halloween III, Lake Mungo, Evil Things, Shutter

22. indiephantom - The Dentist, Dahmer

23. J.Farley - Next of Kin, Long Weekend, The Sadist, The Dark Side of the Moon, The Pyx

24. cwileyy - Deadgirl, The Masque of the Red Death, Insidious, A Bucket of Blood

25. SethDLH - Stake Land

26. Trevor - Currently contemplating picks

27. DEEveeDEE3 - Mothers Day, Shark Night

Again, when making picks please check out this post to check previous subset lists for avoiding repeats and the theme nights list for the available themes/sub-genres.

As far as the "unofficial" Criterion pick goes, don't worry about that as I'm gonna let our old friend random.org choose that one.

Last edited by Chad; 09-18-12 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about Stake Land for apocalyptic?
Old 09-17-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

So unless I overlooked some earlier posts, I'm counting 21 people giving or committing to subset picks so far, which means we still need 10 more people:

1. orlmac - The Fearless Vampire Killers, Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter, House of Dark Shadows

2. riotinmyskull - Sundown - Vampire in Retreat

3. Chad - The Innkeepers, The Vampire Lovers

4. Gobear - Murder Party

5. clckworang - Awaiting picks

6. Screwadu - The Giant Claw, Them!

7. sterlingBen - Frankenhooker, Night of the Living Dead (1990), Juan Of The Dead

8. ororama - A Tale of Two Sisters, Kuroneko

9. Bladz - Deep Red, The Host, Rabid

10. tarfrimmer - I Sell the Dead, Pontypool, Tucker & Dale Vs Evil, Silver Bullet

11. shellebelle - The Woman in Black, Abraham Lincoln vs Zombies, Carrie

12. BobO'Link - The Wolf Man, Dracula, White Zombie, Nosferatu the Vampire

13. rbrown498 - Noroi: The Curse, The Night Strangler, 2LDK

14. Undeadcow - Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Brain that Wouldn't Die, Dead Heat, Fascination

15. edwardnortonfan - Colin

16. Mister Peepers - Dead of Night

17. NoirFan - Count Yorga: Vampire

18. Darkgod - Night of the Werewolf, The Werewolf vs the Vampire Woman

19. Darth Maher - Halloween II, Halloween III, Lake Mungo, Evil Things, Shutter

20. indiephantom - coming up with new picks

21. J.Farley - Next of Kin, Long Weekend, The Sadist, The Dark Side of the Moon, The Pyx

Again, when making picks please check out this post to check previous subset lists for avoiding repeats and the theme nights list for the available themes/sub-genres.

As far as the "unofficial" Criterion pick goes, don't worry about that as I'm gonna let our old friend random.org choose that one.
I'll add a few more suggestions, all available on Netflix or Hulu+:
Sunday, October 7th Day of the Pissed Off Woman - Scream Queens: Audition, The Baby
Sunday, October 21st The Earth Died Screaming - Apocalyptic Horror: Vanishing on 7th Street, The Last Wave
Tuesday, October 9th Dawn of the Decaying - Zombie Films: Fido, Rammbock
The Asian Buffet of Tantalizing Terrors! - Korean / Thai
J-Horror / Indian / Chinese / Philippine / Indonesian: Thirst, Dumplings, R-Point

Last edited by Gobear; 09-17-12 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay, here are my replacement picks!

The Dentist (Brian Yuzna, 1996)-Haven't seen this one in awhile but it's one of the best insane doctor pics I can think of. Really inventive, funny and a must for anyone who's afraid of the dentist's chair. It's a good fit for Oct. 3-Medical horrors theme night, too.
Netflix streaming: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/159765

Dahmer (David Jacobson, 2002)-I've been meaning to watch this for awhile. Jeremy Renner is pretty popular now so it will be interesting seeing him in this earlier, more exploitative film. My ex said she thought he was great in this. She's a big serial killer film fan, so I'll take her word for it. Could be a nice choice for Oct. 19th and the Serial Killer/slasher theme night.
Netflix streaming: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/180922

Last edited by indiephantom; 09-17-12 at 05:56 PM. Reason: date error
Old 09-17-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chad, does each person pick multiple titles for their subset day, or just one?
Old 09-17-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm all for suggesting a title for the subset but it might be easier if Chad just gives me a day to pick for than trying to figure out what everyone else's pick may be for.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.