Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Former Walmart-exclusive Lionsgate Horror Collections: Wider Distribution on 9/4/12

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Former Walmart-exclusive Lionsgate Horror Collections: Wider Distribution on 9/4/12

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was browsing the recent DVD additions at DVD Empire, and I discovered that these "exclusive" 6 & 8-movie Lionsgate Horror Collections now have a wider distribution w/ a pre-order date of 9/4 and MSRP of $9.98. I personally don't mind the extra $5 if it means I never have to step foot in another fucking Walmart again. But I digress.

Here's a link to the 4 Horror Collections I found at DVD Empire: http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v1_lis...eries_id=39492

I've searched for these at a few other online retailers but haven't found them listed elsewhere, except for Amazon/Ebay & the third party sellers still selling them at jacked up prices under the notion that they're still hard to find Walmart exclusives.

Anyway, I'm relieved.
Old 06-25-12, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: Former Walmart-exclusive Lionsgate Horror Collections: Wider Distribution on 9/4/

I was wondering why the prices for these Walmart exclusives were dropping like a rock on Amazon.
Old 06-25-12, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Former Walmart-exclusive Lionsgate Horror Collections: Wider Distribution on 9/4/

Earth Girls Are Easy is a horror film, guys. The case wouldn't lie.
Old 06-25-12, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I might be in for the 6 movie pack with the ROTLD sequels and Re-Animator sequels, as well as the 8 movie pack with Chopping Mall, Slaughter High, and Unholy.

I don't really get why people would pay shitloads of money for these value packs. Sort of defeats the purpose of a value pack, doesn't it?
Old 06-25-12, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I was wondering why the prices for these Walmart exclusives were dropping like a rock on Amazon.
The prices were dropping before knowledge of this wider distribution, I still don't think many people know of this non-Walmart distribution. It was a chance discovery on my part. The only other forum I posted about this to was AV Maniacs, and no one replied. So DVD Talk may be one of the first places actually discussing this.

At any rate, I always assumed the Amazon seller prices were dropping simply because they were getting more competition from other Walmart hoarders who had the same greedy idea.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I don't really get why people would pay shitloads of money for these value packs. Sort of defeats the purpose of a value pack, doesn't it?
It's because 2 of the sets contain films exclusive to these sets, never before released on DVD. The Unholy, 976-EVIL II and a 3rd one (might be CHUD II?) are exclusive to that 8-movie collection. And Blood Diner is exclusive to that 6-movie collection.

And those films do have fans, apparently, and it didn't seem unrealistic that Lionsgate cared so little about these films and horror fans that they were willing to give The Unholy a shabby Walmart-bin-exclusive release. So the sellers lucky enough to find these hoarded up & sold them on Amazon & Ebay. So I think some of the people who paid more are actually fans of the film who thought the Walmart copies might be the only DVD exposure these films ever got.

I mean, does anyone revere Lionsgate Home Entertainment? Does Lionsgate = high expectations? Lionsgate + Walmart? Is that really a winning combination for horror fans? Is Walmart a welcoming place when it comes to digging through DVD bins? I swear, after my Walmart misadventures trying to find these damned DVDs, I'm never saying another ill word about Best Buy's $5 bins, which seem welcoming by comparison.

Anyway, if anyone finds other retailers starting to stock these, do update. FYI, I just submitted the new info to DVD Aficionado, so hopefully the info will be up tomorrow.
Old 06-25-12, 07:42 AM

I've been looking for the ROTLD and Re-Animator sequel set for a while, so hopefully this means I'll be able to find it somewhere for $5.
Old 06-25-12, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

How many discs are these?
Old 06-25-12, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joltman
2, I believe.
Old 06-25-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joltman
I have the first two sets pictured above and each one is split down the middle on two discs - four and three films per disc, respectively.
Old 06-25-12, 06:54 PM

Has anyone picked up the one with ROTLD 3 yet? Just wondering if they somehow used a master of the unrated uncut version instead of the cut R one previously released on DVD. Considering some of the other films on the other sets were alternate masters than seen before on DVD, it is possible they used the unrated master that was used for the VHS.
Old 06-25-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I love these sets. I find myself coming home with yet another one almost every time I go to Wal-Mart.
Old 06-25-12, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Yep. I'd go for the ROTLD sequels all in one place, it's a good way to complete those "gotta have 'em all" series even though you don't really give a crap about the later sequels.
Old 06-26-12, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Do these actually have an adequate bitrate for every movie, or are they overcompressed like every other multi-pack I've seen? If a disc has 4 movies on it, it should be a DVD-18 disc with dual layer on both sides, and those have been uncommon most of the time.
Old 06-26-12, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by man*machine
Has anyone picked up the one with ROTLD 3 yet? Just wondering if they somehow used a master of the unrated uncut version instead of the cut R one previously released on DVD. Considering some of the other films on the other sets were alternate masters than seen before on DVD, it is possible they used the unrated master that was used for the VHS.
It would be a nice surprise if that was the case. But I think it'll be the R version if the cover art is anything to go by. They're using the R rated cover which was also used on a previous 4 pack they released. Meanwhile the separate R rated dvd used the unrated artwork which I felt was misleading.

Both versions of the VHS cover can be seen here.
http://www.amazon.com/Return-Living-...+living+dead+3
Old 06-26-12, 02:20 AM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by man*machine
Short answer: nope. This is the R-rated cut which runs 87:44, if you count the TriMark logo that's still attached to the film. Just popped in the disc and checked it, to make sure.
Old 06-26-12, 02:46 PM

Thank you for posting this! For the past few months I've been looking for these and haven't been able to find them at the Walmarts I went to. Maybe it's just where I've been looking but it's like Walmart doesn't want to change any of their inventory. They've had the same stuff for months it seems.

When these come out and if anyone finds them in store, please post where you got them and at what price. I won't have a huge problem paying $5 more if I can avoid going to Walmart hoping they'll have them, only to come home disappointed and empty handed. At the same time though it would be really nice to be able to get them for $5.
Old 06-28-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
Thank you for posting this! For the past few months I've been looking for these and haven't been able to find them at the Walmarts I went to. Maybe it's just where I've been looking but it's like Walmart doesn't want to change any of their inventory. They've had the same stuff for months it seems.

When these come out and if anyone finds them in store, please post where you got them and at what price. I won't have a huge problem paying $5 more if I can avoid going to Walmart hoping they'll have them, only to come home disappointed and empty handed. At the same time though it would be really nice to be able to get them for $5.
If you're in such a rush, why not wait a couple more months for the wider distribution? You won't have to go fishing in Wally World.

------

The discs are one-sided DVD18 for someone who asked above.
Old 06-28-12, 08:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

is Waxwork and Slaughter High the unrated versions?
Old 06-28-12, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
is Waxwork and Slaughter High the unrated versions?
I suspect Slaughter High is unrated based on the cover stating 'uncut version, though I haven't heard whether it was confirmed or not.

Waxwork has been confirmed to be the R rated version though with a worse transfer than the old Artisan unrated dvd. Only the vampire scene features about 5 seconds worth of cuts for gore. But that's a really gory scene and definitely works better in unrated form. But much less was cut than I originally thought.
Old 07-04-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, these have been popping up for pre-order in some other online retailers... pretty much most except for Amazon.

And the DVD Aficionado pages are updated for the 2 sets with the exclusive titles:

8 Movie Pack w/ The Unholy: http://www.dvdaf.com/price-one.html?dvd=0180601
6 Movie Pack w/ Blood Diner: http://www.dvdaf.com/price-one.html?dvd=0180747

You'll notice there are 2 UPCs. The first is for the one sold in Walmart. The 2nd is for the upcoming wide release
Old 07-05-12, 10:58 AM

I've only seen the 6 pack with "boy eats girl" at my local wal-mart. All three others though I would really like to have in my collection (especially "Return of the Living Dead 3-5"). Probably pick them all up on release day. I know the quality is crap, but its really hard to complain about paying less than $1 a movie...
Old 07-05-12, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I've only seen the 6 pack with "boy eats girl" at my local wal-mart. All three others though I would really like to have in my collection (especially "Return of the Living Dead 3-5"). Probably pick them all up on release day. I know the quality is crap, but its really hard to complain about paying less than $1 a movie...
Yeah, tell me about it. I went to 3 different Walmart Supercenters in the Phoenix area (2 in Scottsdale & one in Mesa). All I could find was the: , also being sold on 9/4.

Slightly OT, I just found that a bunch of horror movie sets are being released on 9/4, including some from Image Entertainment. Here's the preorder list for 9/4.
I know I'm going OT on my own thread, but are any of these titles previously unreleased:

Old 07-05-12, 08:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
Slightly OT, I just found that a bunch of horror movie sets are being released on 9/4, including some from Image Entertainment. Here's the preorder list for 9/4.
I know I'm going OT on my own thread, but are any of these titles previously unreleased:

Night of the Demon was released by Code Red as part of the Maria's "B" Movie Mayhem line last year and it immediately went OOP. All have been previously released. Some by their alternate title.
Old 09-05-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Lionsgate titles came out yesterday. Picked up all of them
Old 09-06-12, 06:05 AM

Where is the cheapest place for these online? I see Deep Discount has them for $7 and change, but I don't know if Deep Discount is reliable anymore.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.