DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   First DVD you watched? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/602260-first-dvd-you-watched.html)

orangerunner 06-09-12 01:28 PM

Re: First DVD you watched?

I remember a buddy and I rented a player along with Boogie Nights and U-Turn from the video store.

Can't remember which one we watched first.

Mountain Biker 06-09-12 01:50 PM

First bought and watched: Fast Times at Ridgemont High

drmar35mm 06-09-12 03:24 PM

Apart from seeing demos of DVDs in stores, the first DVD I saw, in my own home with my own new Toshiba player, was the first program in Hugh Laurie's Jeeves & Wooster. Which was also the first DVD product I ever bought.

My Other Self 06-09-12 03:39 PM

I'm almost positive it was The Matrix. My cousin had gotten a DVD player for Christmas in 1999 and I remember watching it when the family got together for the holiday. I didn't get my first player until April of 2000.

mickey65 06-09-12 07:09 PM

Kingpin

asianxcore 06-10-12 12:03 AM

Either Se7en or Lost In Space (1998)

BobO'Link 06-10-12 07:22 AM

The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings Extended Edition. It was also the first DVD I purchased and was watched on my computer which was the only DVD playback device in the house at the time.

Aceguy 06-10-12 08:15 AM

I can barely remember because I was a kid when I first watched one. My dad showed me Lost in Space and Spiderman. Those were the first DVD's I can remember watching.

SteveA 06-10-12 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Aceguy (Post 11266379)
I can barely remember because I was a kid when I first watched one. My dad showed me Lost in Space and Spiderman. Those were the first DVD's I can remember watching.

Welcome to the forum, Aceguy. It's far better to not remember because you were too young then, than to not remember because you're too old now. :) I speak from experience.

Ash Ketchum 06-10-12 06:02 PM

I checked my notes from back then and it's not clear which of the following three Hong Kong films among my early DVD purchases was the one I watched first in its entirety:

ZU WARRIORS OF THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN (1983)
IRON MONKEY (1993)
BURY ME HIGH (1990)

Paul_SD 06-10-12 09:08 PM

I'm pretty sure the first DVD I ever saw playing was Twister in a demo set up at Laserdisc Enterprises in Atlanta. It was full of macro-blocking and pixel break-up. I figured that was par for the course when you tried to stick a whole movie on a 5" disc. I didn't get what all the hype was about and happily went back to browsing the LD racks, where 12" platters were still state of the art as fr as I was concerned.

The first title I ever bought and watched on my own set-up would be Invasion Of The Body Snatchers ('78) a few years later. I think I paid $20 for it (non anamorphic LBX)- which was a bargain compared to LDs.

Scorpio 06-14-12 04:26 AM

My first disc purchased around 97'. Cool Hand Luke in a snapper case.

SterlingBen 06-14-12 11:54 AM

Ghostbusters

JGaitan82 06-14-12 12:57 PM

I got my player in November of 1998 and my first DVD purchase was The Mask of Zorro and Sixteen Candles Snapper case.

The Monkees 06-15-12 12:25 PM

Interestingly the first DVD I ever watched is also the first DVD I ever owned (however not the exact DVD I owned). When my brother first got a DVD player (and before I got one) I rented 2 DVDs Hush and Austin Powers. AP was the first one I watched and then a month or so later when I got my DVD player I bought Austin Powers and still have it to this day 13 years later.

Time Warrior 06-15-12 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Meglos (Post 11264446)
It was either a Doctor Who ("The Five Doctors") or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, both of which I had bought before getting a DVD player.

The Five Doctors for me - around mid 2000, and yes I had owned it for several months before I even got a DVD player. Still have the disc too.

devilshalo 06-18-12 05:20 PM

The Matrix

CapRockBrewingCo. 06-18-12 05:39 PM

Back in 1999, it was The Fugitive.

DeputyDave 06-19-12 03:56 PM

I watched 3 movies in one night at my brother's house but I don't remember which one was first. Baraka, Conan the Barbarian, and Angela's Ashes.

LJG765 06-19-12 04:25 PM

I have no idea what I watched first. I know that my parents had a player, but I have no idea what they would have bought first. Maybe a James Bond movie? If it was something I bought, it would have been either Disney (Likely Bug's Life) or Buffy the Vampire Slayer season one. I'd been in my late teens then, and really wouldn't have thought to remember which was first...

APx3OG 06-19-12 06:31 PM

Matrix. You just had to have the picture quality and crystal clear slow motion of DVD for the films last 45 min. I had no idea of the difference between VHS and DVD until my brother in law popped it in and put it on the shoot out in the lobby. Hell'uv an entrance to the format, I think.

leemik 06-19-12 10:24 PM

The first DVD I watched was "In The Line of Fire"... It came free along with "Fly Away Home" and "Tony Bennett In Concert" when I bought my Sony DVP S7000 player that cost me $1000 like 15 years ago LOL

lewisb73 06-26-12 12:39 PM

Boogie Nights back in the 90's... I adopted DVD very early... finally traded it in towards the blu ray last month

Alan Smithee 06-26-12 03:10 PM

Boogie Nights was the 2nd DVD I bought- it ended up rotting, found a sealed replacement copy of the first edition of that luckily.

Nick Martin 06-27-12 07:20 PM

Bought it the day of its release in 1999, and was the reason I wanted a DVD player:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61QcuDylldL.jpg

Had the disc a day before I had the player itself!

Still have it, but not the player. The player crapped out 4 years later.