Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 5th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Sorry to hear that LJG, hope you have good news tomorrow.
Old 06-22-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Sorry to hear about your illness LJG765! Here's hoping all works out for the best!
Old 06-22-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks all! I'm doing so much better! I'm cancer free right now and the doctors think they got it all. They did catch it in stage 3, but only found it in two lymph nodes, so don't think that is truly a worry. I went through chemo and radiation (both sucked, but I'd rather do that than worry about a re-occurrence).

I just have to build up my stamina now as I get really tired anytime I exert myself (which makes watching movies really easy to do as all I have to do is sit there! ) I do find out today if I have to have surgery to fix an abscess that I've been dealing with since last July that is related to my main surgery where they took out the tumor.

I've had really good health care as I've been able to go to a Mayo affiliated health system and was actually sent to the Mayo Rochester for my main surgery and some radiation so have had access to some of the best doctors in the world. I'm lucky that I live within driving distance of Rochester so that was possible. Finances, however, are really tight, but I'd rather be broke than sick! I've also had really good support from family and friends which has made everything I've gone through bearable and possible. I've been very lucky that way.

Well, off to the docs, but I've been promised a movie afterwards if I'm good. *grins*
Old 06-22-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would the 1966 Batman count as Fantasy?
Old 06-22-12, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Allrovi lists one of its genres as fantasy, so, yes.
Old 06-22-12, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I just have to build up my stamina now as I get really tired anytime I exert myself (which makes watching movies really easy to do as all I have to do is sit there! )
The answer: A TV, DVD player and an exercise bike

When my kids had swimming lessons at the Y and I had to pick them up after work, I'd make sure to have some movies on my Zune and then I'd plant myself on an elliptical until they were done. It's the best of both worlds. 1/2 couch potato watching movies and the other half is fitness.
Old 06-23-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The answer: A TV, DVD player and an exercise bike
LoL. Yeah, I've been thinking about doing something like that. No bike, but we have an exercise machine that would work. Just have to get enough energy to do it!

Bad news is that I'll have to have the surgery. *sigh* but, it is an outpatient one. Healing time is about 3-4 weeks, but hopefully at the end of it, I'll be fully healed. Ironically, my surgery date is one day after the one year anniversary of the first surgery to deal with the problem! This time at least, it's not at 3 a.m. in the morning! But it does mean that I'll be laying around a lot so will have plenty of time for this challenge.
Old 06-23-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Well, that stinks, especially in light of what you've been through the past year! As you say, at least it'll be outpatient and hopefully bring you back to full health.

I wish you well for your impending surgery and recovery as well as with the challenge!

This challenge is my favorite. I started my journey into mega-movie-watching with this one a couple of years ago and haven't looked back, participating in just about all of them at this point. My family and co-workers think I'm nuts but I thoroughly enjoy them.
Old 06-24-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

After becoming somewhat disillusioned with the historical challenge due to all of the people complaining that it should be stricter, I've actually taken to starting to watch some sci fi in anticipation of the sci fi challenge already. Last night I watched an ep of Lost In Space, and an ep of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
Old 06-24-12, 12:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

^Same here. Started watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine again. Probably my favorite of the Star Trek shows.
Old 06-24-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just picked up seasons 1-4 of MacGyver. Gonna cherry pick at least two sci-fi episodes for the challenge.
Old 06-24-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just don't go burning yourself out to early, you eager beavers.

List thread is up, so you can spend the week making a prettier list than I could ever come up with.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/60...st-thread.html
I still need to add in the last few suggestions to the checklist. If there's any others, feel free to throw out ideas, especially for any more groups of actors.

I don't really have anything set in stone for what I'm going to start with. I guess a day of Ancient Aliens, to overlap with the history challenge. After that I'm stumped and might just go alphabetically through my unwatched stuff till I figure something else out.
Old 06-24-12, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another group of actors:

James Coburn/Ross Martin/Dick Miller
Old 06-24-12, 09:41 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

More actors to consider: Michelle Rodriguez; David Warner; Tilda Swinton; Natalie Portman; Peter Cushing; Bruce Willis; Kurt Russell.
Old 06-24-12, 10:40 PM

I could never burn out on science fiction/fantasy. I would love to re-watch Babylon 5 as well.

Speaking of which...Babylon 5 could really use a blu-ray release. I would love to see a little touch up to it.
Old 06-24-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
I could never burn out on science fiction/fantasy. I would love to re-watch Babylon 5 as well.

Speaking of which...Babylon 5 could really use a blu-ray release. I would love to see a little touch up to it.

that was what I was thinking of doing also Is there some kinda order of watching the entire TV show together with the made for TV movies?
Old 06-24-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
that was what I was thinking of doing also Is there some kinda order of watching the entire TV show together with the made for TV movies?
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/3758287-post5.html

To that order you can add The Lost Tales at the end
Old 06-25-12, 01:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a question about the checklist. Can you use enough TV shows or shorts for an entry in your list to satisfy a checklist item? For instance, could you use two episodes of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea which are enough for a list entry to satisfy the "Under/On the water" checklist item?

I realize film is specified throughout the checklist but it could be shorthand for something like "film or film equivalent". I've wondered about this more than once but never got around to asking about it.
Old 06-25-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes.

I'll also clarify that for the future.
Old 06-25-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thirded!
I'd just be happy if they'd *remove* the horrendous attempt to take a product produced for 4x3 make it WS. While it worked, for the most part, there are many shots that are severely compromised to force them into a WS format.
Old 06-25-12, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orlmac
More actors to consider: Michelle Rodriguez; David Warner; Tilda Swinton; Natalie Portman; Peter Cushing; Bruce Willis; Kurt Russell.
Thanks for the names.

Unless there's anything else to add, I think the checklist is more or less done.
Old 06-25-12, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'd just be happy if they'd *remove* the horrendous attempt to take a product produced for 4x3 make it WS. While it worked, for the most part, there are many shots that are severely compromised to force them into a WS format.
Completely agreed. Some of the shots just make me shiver.

I would have loved if Babylon 5 had Star Trek type quality to it. But maybe that's part of what makes it so great.
Old 06-26-12, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I am also thinking of re-watching Babylon 5 since I never finished it. However, I also want to continue my quest to re-watch Star Trek: TNG and possibly Battlestar Galactica. There are too many excellent shows to watch and so very little time. I have to really get a hold on my thesis in July, and that will cut into my free time.

One of my goals is to watch some films that I've been putting off such as the first two Terminator films and the Alien franchise. Also, I'm finally going to watch Blade Runner.

I'm terribly excited about this challenge. I have been reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars this week and am ready to watch some good sci-fi!
Old 06-26-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Yes.

I'll also clarify that for the future.
And also clarify how many TV episodes, at what lengths, we need to complete a single entry.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
And also clarify how many TV episodes, at what lengths, we need to complete a single entry.

Thanks.
Someone hasn't read the rules for the last five years.

TV shows count according to length as they are aired on TV(including commercials):

30 minute shows count as 1/4 an entry
1 hour shows count as 1/2 an entry
2 hour shows count as 1 entry

So you need 4, 30 minute shows for 1 entry or 2 60 minute shows or any combination that gets you to 1 entry. While X-Files has a runtime of around 43 minutes, on-air it's an hour show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.