I Miss the Heydey of DVD (*sigh*)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 09:31 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: I Miss the Heydey of DVD (*sigh*)

Originally Posted by ChuckWL
I thought many of the studios release catlaogue thru their archives? In fact hundreds and hundreds so far in 2012. Warner has released over 1000 titles already and dozens of new ones are released each month. I dont recall an output of catalogue with so many releases in the 1990s and 2000's and its just not Warner, MGM and Sony are also releasing lots of catalogue as Archived titles. The choices in 2012 are endless IMO.
I wish the studios would get to these:

Grand Tour: Disaster In Time
Rawhead Rex
Steel Dawn
Saturn 3

There's no way I'll pay $100 (give or take) for these titles. -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 05-14-12 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-14-12, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

If I ever felt like taking the time to do it, I could come up with a list of several hundred titles of classic films that have never come out on VHS or DVD, things I saw on TV 30-50 years ago, that have never been available on any format. Or things I've always wanted to see but never had the opportunity. The archive releases from Warner, MGM and Sony are just a skim over the surface.
Old 05-14-12, 12:06 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuckWL
I thought many of the studios release catlaogue thru their archives? In fact hundreds and hundreds so far in 2012. Warner has released over 1000 titles already and dozens of new ones are released each month. I dont recall an output of catalogue with so many releases in the 1990s and 2000's and its just not Warner, MGM and Sony are also releasing lots of catalogue as Archived titles. The choices in 2012 are endless IMO.
What are archives? Do you mean burn on demand? I addressed that in my post. In my opinion a burn on demand disc recorded on a DVD-R is not worth my money. I enjoy buying products that are worth owning. Supplements, optimal transfers, quailty artwork--something where some actual care was taken in bringing it to market.

The other problem with burn on demand is that it forces me to buy a title if I want to see the movie because the discs aren't made available to rental outlets.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-15-12 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-14-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
The excitement of dvd collecting has faded for me for these reasons:

1. Lack of dvd retailers - We simply don't have as many options anymore to find great deals. Circuit City is gone. Deep Discount is a shadow of its former self. Gamestop stopped buying and selling used dvds. Sam's Club used to have awesome deals and twice the real estate for dvds. It was a heck of a lot more fun scouting and finding a huge bargain at B&M stores instead of waiting for online deals.

3. Too much backlog - it's become more of a chore to make myself watch the movie a 2nd or 3rd time to disgest the commentaries. Back in the day, I would devour every special feature and loved commentaries. I still fondly remember buying Blade 2 which offered hours and hours of bonus content.
These are both HUGE for me. I used to love taking a drive to go dvd hunting on my day off. Along one stretch of road there was Suncoast, FYE, Borders, Newbury Comics, Target and Best Buy. I could always find something new and interesting. And it didn't matter how obscure the title I was looking for was, I could find it at one of these stores 99% of the time. Losing both Suncoast and Borders put a big dent in that for me. FYE's prices generally suck. Best Buy and Target just don't have the selection. Newbury is still the only place I find interesting to shop at. This reason is why finding the Back to the Future trilogy on BD for $20 at Target recently was such a big deal to me. It reminded me of the good old days.

As for the bonus features, I stopped trying long ago. I used to really enjoy getting into every aspect of the disc but found myself getting bored with them. Not to mention kind of frustrated because my backlog would grow and grow while I was re-watching discs for bonus stuff.
Old 05-14-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I miss it too. Finding all the Special/Collector Editions of your favorite films, or films you really wanted to see, and wondering, in addition to how good the film was going to be, what the features were like. And to top it off, sometimes they came with booklet inserts that contained interviews, production photos, etc.

It was like, when you bought that DVD, you were getting everything you needed to know about the film as well.

I don't mind the $5 dvds at supermarkets because sometimes, not always, but sometimes they have a rare or unappreciated film that I'm interested in adding to my collection.

Blu-Rays don't seem special enough for me at this point. I have most of my must haves already on DVD with better special features, the blu-ray boxes are ugly, and I'd rather continue having the same format for all my movies, and considering that they're both on discs, the storage issue is the same.

For me collecting is still fun though because now all those DVDs I didn't pick up are either out of print or hard to find still need to be bought. Plus, making custom covers to replace the crap studio art is another highlight. And finally I need to get my collection up so I can take a picture of it and post it in the DVD collection thread.
Old 05-14-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Without reading anything other than the OP, you are not going to see a noticeable difference with a 32" set. Time to pony up and get something 50 or larger. I was resistant at first as well, kept saying I would get one when the old one broke but I finally broke and got one and it is the best money I have ever spent (as an enthusiast).
Old 05-14-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
the blu-ray boxes are ugly,
Even the back-cover art is puny

Compared to: