Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark Shadows: The Complete Series (4/10/2012)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dark Shadows: The Complete Series (4/10/2012)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dark Shadows: The Complete Series (4/10/2012)

Some people got a silver signed one, others got a red one. Hard to say what the percentage was.
Old 04-15-12, 11:47 AM
Suspended

Was two versions of this set always planned? Or did the first one take them by surprise that an expensive set sold out everywhere, and now pushing another set out?
Old 04-15-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take a chance and wait and see if the non limited gets heavily discounted.
Old 04-15-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett
Was two versions of this set always planned? Or did the first one take them by surprise that an expensive set sold out everywhere, and now pushing another set out?
It was at least announced shortly before the limited hit release date but based off amazon's pre-order price for the regular set being so much higher, I think they didn't expect the limited to sell as fast as it did.
Old 04-16-12, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
At $400 it's absolutely not a good blind buy. It's nowhere near as slick or polished as the shows you mention. It's a product of 60s and 70s daytime television, but it is cheesy fun. Like others have said, sample a few stories first. YouTube has plenty of eps to take a look at.

Like Stuart says in his review of the single disc releases, the scattered episode here and there doesn't give you any context, and absolutely no feel of the the day to day progression (of character arcs, story lines, as well as creative reaching and competence and polish). I don't think the unexposed viewer would get much of a sense of the appeal of the show at all from either the new sampler discs or a scattered ep here and there.
I don't know how many consecutive eps youtube has, but
I would suggest going to the library, or amazon marketplace, and picking up a cheap collection- one volume, which will give you 40 consecutive eps and a much better picture of what following this show is like.
If you have a choice, Collection 5 or 6 is a great place to start, but there are others as well. I would not suggest starting with the introduction of Barnabas in Collection 1- there is an awful lof of chaff in those early eps outside of Barnabas that make them a chore to sit through.
IIRC 3 is when it starts getting a good footing and 4 ends with a bang featuring the earliest eps of the story line that dominates collections 5, 6 and part of 7.

Also , if you buy it, you can always re-sell it again and recoup the cost whether you pick up the big set or not- and by the time you finish a proper sampling of the show, the big set might be heavily discounted somewhere (there should absolutely be some good deals for it around Christmas)
Old 04-17-12, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adam_omega
Some people got a silver signed one, others got a red one. Hard to say what the percentage was.
Glad I got a silver one, though red if visible enough would be cool!
Old 04-19-12, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jonathan Frid passed away. I feel really lucky to have the LE now, and not in some "eBay here I come" kinda way. I wonder if they have time to add a dedication to the credits of the new movie.
Old 04-19-12, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP Barnabas Collins!
Old 04-19-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Any word on if he died at a screening of the new Tim Burton movie
Old 04-19-12, 11:53 AM

I think that's in rather bad taste.

Very sad news indeed, although it's great that he was at least able to see the success of the special DVD set (with all those signed postcards which will now undoubtedly rocket in value) and also he makes a cameo appearance in the upcoming film. Rather a shame he will not see that in release though.
Old 04-19-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I doubt the signed postcards will be worth much more since he's been selling autographs cheap for years.
Old 04-19-12, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sold my set for $800.00 today. Does that make me a bad person?
Old 04-19-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you waited longer, you'd get more.

Are you going to invest in High Fidelity DVDs?
Old 04-19-12, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
Since you asked, yes it does.
Old 04-19-12, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
If you waited longer, you'd get more.

Are you going to invest in High Fidelity DVDs?
Old 04-19-12, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by sracer
Since you asked, yes it does.
Why?

Who does this hurt?

I sold it for $800.00, then reordered it for $380.00.
Old 04-20-12, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why?

Who does this hurt?

I sold it for $800.00, then reordered it for $380.00.
The limited edition? If so, have you gotten a shipping notice? I've heard places selling it have it backordered but all the copies were long since shipped out to suppliers.
Old 04-20-12, 01:17 AM

The limited edition? If so, have you gotten a shipping notice? I've heard places selling it have it backordered but all the copies were long since shipped out to suppliers.
Sold the limited edition, reordered the regular version.

I already have several autographed pics of Jonathan Frid that I bought directly from him for about $15.00 each.

I made enough profit from this sale that my new set will only cost me about 75 bucks.
Old 04-20-12, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No. Smart.
I was kind of resenting feeling pressured to spring for this set when the company rap was " we're only making 2500 of these- don't dally or you'll miss out completely!"- only to see that , no, the same is coming in a wholly unlimited edition sans an inconsequential autographed postcard.
I figure I paid at least $100 more that I would be able to get the unlimited edition for in six to eight months.

But then after I heard the news yesterday I came around to thinking- I have a piece of one of the last projects he was involved in- even if it's just in a cursory way.
And since I have no other autos or swag from the show, I view that little postcard as something kinda special now.

I wish I could pull myself to take advantage of the situation now, but I can't quite do it. it's stupid and sentimental to put $400 worth of value on that postcard, but that's what not selling it off and rebuying the unlimited set amounts to. And contrary to a previous poster, I don't see there being any better time to sell this if you want to. Strike while the iron is hot. His death won't have nearly the same impact on sales 3 months from now when a cheaper, unlimited version is widely available. The resale value will be all downhill from here.
Old 04-20-12, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Nebiroth
I think that's in rather bad taste.
Old 04-20-12, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
No. Smart.
I was kind of resenting feeling pressured to spring for this set when the company rap was " we're only making 2500 of these- don't dally or you'll miss out completely!"- only to see that , no, the same is coming in a wholly unlimited edition sans an inconsequential autographed postcard.
I figure I paid at least $100 more that I would be able to get the unlimited edition for in six to eight months.

But then after I heard the news yesterday I came around to thinking- I have a piece of one of the last projects he was involved in- even if it's just in a cursory way.
And since I have no other autos or swag from the show, I view that little postcard as something kinda special now.

I wish I could pull myself to take advantage of the situation now, but I can't quite do it. it's stupid and sentimental to put $400 worth of value on that postcard, but that's what not selling it off and rebuying the unlimited set amounts to. And contrary to a previous poster, I don't see there being any better time to sell this if you want to. Strike while the iron is hot. His death won't have nearly the same impact on sales 3 months from now when a cheaper, unlimited version is widely available. The resale value will be all downhill from here.
I have the exact same feeling. I didn't really want to be rushed into buying it now but felt no choice based on the limited nature of the release. All I was really interested in was getting the complete set for as cheap as possible, and the smaller form factor (6 disk per standard size case) for my shelving.

But now that I have the limited edition, I see no reason to part with it, even though I could sell it, buy the other set, and save money in the long run.
Old 04-20-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bsmith

But now that I have the limited edition, I see no reason to part with it, even though I could sell it, buy the other set, and save money in the long run.
And if you do sell it, then you have to possibly deal with a customer that may not be honest and/or a post office that's willing to damage it. In which case, you may not come out ahead.
Old 04-20-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And if you do sell it, then you have to possibly deal with a customer that may not be honest and/or a post office that's willing to damage it. In which case, you may not come out ahead.
That's definitely a factor as well to me in just keeping it.
I tend to be a bit conservative about these things anyway, but once you decide to flip something that is outrageously inflated from what you just paid for it, it would seem like karma if you get a buyer equally as willing to take advantage of the situation.

I'm glad Skull Orchards transaction seemed to turn out OK.
Old 04-20-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Buyers still have time to complain. Especially if they later see they can get a non-limited edition for a lot less. If it's sold on amazon or ebay, it's as simple as damaging the item and saying you want a refund.

Also have to consider that if you sell it on ebay or amazon, those percentage fees take a big chunk out of what you sold it for. It's also heavy, so if you do Amazon, you only get about $3 credit for shipping and if they want priority, it's a couple more but you end up paying even more for shipping.

I'll also add that I sold mine on amazon. Naturally they did it priority. I covered my bases as best I could with insurance and adult signature confirmation. Since it was priority, it upped my shipping costs by double, so the end result was under $30. Amazon skims 15% for DVDs so that took a decent chunk.

Still, it's extra money I didn't have before but it's not something I'd want to deal with all the time.
Old 04-20-12, 04:45 PM

Buyer canceled order last night. I re-listed it and sold it for $879.99

Made enough profit to get the regular edition set for free.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.