Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
A continuation of my noir marathon, possibly throwing in something else to watch with the kids.

Sunday I'm planning on throwing some trim up around my screen and what used to be skylights, so that'll eat up a little time.
I thought you meant TV screen

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Never done a challenge before, but I'm gonna give this a shot. I have a free Blockbuster trial going with 3 out at a time, so I'm trying to make the most of it. Plus, it sounds fun! Looking forward to watching S2 and S3 of Castle (been sitting in my pile for ages), plus S4 of Clone Wars (been sitting on my DVR forever!) Oh, and Game of Thrones! Too much for one weekend, but I'll start crossing em off the list...

I didn't realize Mystery was added as a qualifying genre. I have a few more to add now.
I love Castle! Some good stuff in those seasons.

And yeah, there was some debate but mystery is eligible. Not really added since this is so new.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Welcome to the group. The main goal of a challenge is just to have fun. Right everyone?
Yep, watch what you enjoy, especially if you're looking for an excuse to finally get something out of the unwatched pile, and discuss!
Old 03-09-12, 05:40 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

My plans for the weekend include watching Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol at the the theater, watching a couple of episodes of the Walking Dead and hopefully a couple of episodes of Fringe tonight, and hopefull throw in at least 3 other movies on Saturday and Sunday. I saw Batman Begins for the first time today and I thoroughly enjoyed it, I have no good excuse for not watching it sooner.
Old 03-09-12, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orlmac
My plans for the weekend include watching Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol at the the theater, watching a couple of episodes of the Walking Dead and hopefully a couple of episodes of Fringe tonight, and hopefull throw in at least 3 other movies on Saturday and Sunday.
Ooh, does Walking Dead count? Been meaning to watch that as well! This challenge is definitely gonna take a chunk out of my unwatched pile, plus I'll be renting some titles that I'll likely cross off of my wishlist. I'm looking forward to the next 3 weeks. But I'm definitely sitting the next challenge out. I think maybe I'll do challenges every other month. I don't want to become a permanent couch potato. Just a semi-couch potato... Like a couch tater-tot...
Old 03-09-12, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Ooh, does Walking Dead count?
Yes. Use IMDB, allmovie.com and the allmovie run TV site sidereel.com to check the genre(s) for a film/TV show. If any of these sites list the challenge genre/sub-genre on what you want to watch, you're home free. Other than that, just ask and/or use your best judgement.

But I'm definitely sitting the next challenge out. I think maybe I'll do challenges every other month. I don't want to become a permanent couch potato. Just a semi-couch potato... Like a couch tater-tot...
*Sure* you will... You'll get "the fever" and start to do them all. *Then* you'll start purchasing titles *just* for a challenge. *Then* you'll start to take vacation to bump up your numbers. well... let's just say that we own you now...

Welcome to the madness!
Old 03-09-12, 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by omike
Weekend plans?
Besides catching up to my goal of one-a-day, I'm hoping to finally watch Cast Away (2000) for the first time. I've started it a few times but something always came up resulting in turning it off.

I try not to be a couch potato for these challenges, but I find that watching all these movies keeps me out of media-selling stores which saves me money. I don't need any more DVDs, though I'm always open to new cinema.

Last edited by mike07; 03-11-12 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-09-12, 11:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Walking Dead counts - oh neat!
Old 03-09-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

had another new watch today with 18 assassins which i really enjoyed

as far as this weekend
sat im gonna try and fit in blitz at work and pick up game of thrones on my way hom
sunday im going to monstermania so prolly wont get in anything besides new episode of walking dead
Old 03-09-12, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by terrycloth
had another new watch today with 18 assassins which i really enjoyed

as far as this weekend
sat im gonna try and fit in blitz at work and pick up game of thrones on my way hom
sunday im going to monstermania so prolly wont get in anything besides new episode of walking dead
18 or 13? - you mean the Miiki film, which is the latter number.
Old 03-09-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
18 or 13? - you mean the Miiki film, which is the latter number.
wow not sure where i got 18 from but yeah 13.
Old 03-10-12, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Jordana Brewster
Old 03-10-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

OK so I watched Chamber of Secrets with my son. Funny because he wasn't in a movie mood today I guess and I was so into it I was shushing him left and right before I lightened up. Anyway...I'm enchanted. Can't believe it took me so long to watch these.

Hell I'll probably watch the third one tonight all by myself.
Old 03-10-12, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like how everything counts in this challenge. I sat down to watch Sucker Punch and 20 minutes later, the start of the music number, I shut it off. 2 hours and 7 minutes of that movie is way too much, even for me. Now I don't know what to watch. It drained me from wanting to watch anything.
Old 03-10-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm in a Superman mood tonight, so I thnk I'll watch Superman II, Superman: Doomsday, and maybe a few episodes of Superman: The Animated Series. In January's TV on DVD Challenge, I was able to get up to the Darkseid episodes. Gotta love how going to a comic book shop gets you in the mood to watch comic book movies and tv, don't you?
Old 03-10-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by omike
And that was all it took to get me to watch Lethal Weapon for the first time last night. Really really liked it. I was a little surprised to see it took place during the Christmas season (although Christmas in Southern California) so I was wondering if it would satisfy the checklist item "something with a major holiday theme". The season was referenced continually throughout the movie, both in dialog and sets, but really doesn't have a major impact on the plot. Oh a few small things would have to be changed, but the story could have taken place anytime.
Glad I was able to influence you to check it out. I too was surprised that it was a Christmas-time movie given you don't really ever see it showing up on holiday lists, yet Die Hard is generally referenced.

I had only seen the fourth Lethal Weapon before viewing the original. I have a four-pack DVD with all of them, so definitely plan to check out 2 and 3 at some point.
Old 03-10-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Continued my trend of watching well-known titles I've never seen tonight with Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980). I really had a good time with this one, even more than the original. The action/suspense towards the end was solid. Looking forward to closing out the original trilogy soon.
Old 03-10-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Good luck with that. I don't know how folks ever watched that show from week-to-week. I went the DVD route and never started a season without knowing I had some time to get through it quickly.
24 is easily the most addicting show I have ever watched. Hope to rewatch again at some point.
Old 03-11-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Good luck with that. I don't know how folks ever watched that show from week-to-week. I went the DVD route and never started a season without knowing I had some time to get through it quickly.
I found a way. Go out of town and FORGET TO PACK your 24 box set. Caution: This may result in aggravation, grumpiness, and convincing your family members to call you with urgent updates on the hostage situation.

Yesterday evening, I went to see John Carter with my aunt, uncle, and cousin (who "barfed" at the promotion for the newest Barbie movie). Though there are definite pacing problems with the overly long run time, I was completely charmed by it. The premise is fun and the visual execution is excellent. The filmmakers also made the right decision keeping Taylor Kitsch shirtless as much as possible. Very nice.
Old 03-11-12, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
...Yesterday evening, I went to see John Carter... The filmmakers also made the right decision keeping Taylor Kitsch shirtless as much as possible. Very nice.
If they stay true to the novel they have no choice. In the novels, even the women wear very little, making Xena look overdressed.
Old 03-11-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
If they stay true to the novel they have no choice. In the novels, even the women wear very little, making Xena look overdressed.
From the comics:

Old 03-11-12, 04:31 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I have another question about the categories in the checklist (sorry). I have been looking for something that meets the film-noir category and I have the movie Heat. One of the key words for it is neo noir. I don't find anything under noir itself, would this qualify? If not, would it qualify under Urban cop thriller?
Old 03-11-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also started up on Game of Thrones last night, which I'll watch in addition to the 15 movies I planned for this challenge.
Old 03-11-12, 06:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been doing great the past few challenges with only watching things new to me or from my unwatched pile, but I've been feeling under the weather the past few days and have a habit of doing either a Gilmore Girls or Veronica Mars marathon when I'm sick, and even though I watched VM last time I was sick and I was due for a GG rewatch I of course chose Veronica since I figured at least it counts
Old 03-11-12, 08:45 PM

in terms of "adventure" does 'Out of Africa' and 'The African Queen' count?
Old 03-11-12, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
in terms of "adventure" does 'Out of Africa' and 'The African Queen' count?
Both are classified as "Adventure" on IMDB, so yes.
Old 03-11-12, 08:50 PM

^ thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.