Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Third Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Third Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2012

Added Claudia Jennings, Dona Speir to the actors and Eddie Romero to the Directors safe list. Really digging this Machete Maidens Unleashed. Great doc on New World exploitation movies in Philippines.
Old 04-02-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Alien and Blade Runner aren't B movies, but are certainly cult films, I assume both would be acceptable with wild cards?
Old 04-02-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

If you can't hold out till July, I suppose they could. Blade runner was a bomb and became a cult movie. Was Alien really a legit cult film?
Old 04-02-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Commentary day for me today.
Old 04-02-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Posted my full thoughts on days 1 and 2 at my blog. Also just posted a DVD review for the soon to be released dvd of Debauchery from Impulse Pictures/Synapse Films. If you're into sleazy sex movies check it out http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...vd-review.html
Old 04-02-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Posted my full thoughts on days 1 and 2 at my blog. Also just posted a DVD review for the soon to be released dvd of Debauchery from Impulse Pictures/Synapse Films. If you're into sleazy sex movies check it out http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...vd-review.html
The plot was something like a 300 year old witch comes back to NYC and rides motorcycles with zombies... it wasn't anywhere close to as awesome as that sounds.
lol, BTW let me know when you approach your viewing of Night Call Nurses. A drinking game comes with that one!
Old 04-02-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
lol, BTW let me know when you approach your viewing of Night Call Nurses. A drinking game comes with that one!
That will probably be this weekend
Old 04-02-12, 04:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Here was what I said when MisterPeepers asked about educational films:

Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
...Educational films. You know what? Sure. I was leaning more towards the Highway and Drug stuff since those are specifically exploitative, but the "B" thing really allows in a lot. As long as the collections are feature length (over an hour), I don't see any harm in it. It would be better if they were at least vintage.

My concept is those campy ones from the 50s and 60s, but I'm not really strict.
Thanks to all who replied to my question about extras on SWV discs. I really wasn't clear enough. I should have specifically asked about the nudie cutie type shorts, often two or three, that appear on some DVDs. Could they be accumulated to count? I'm talking about things like Sandy and Ajax in "Intimate Diary of Artists' Models" and the Bennett twins in Barry Mahon's "Naked Fury" which appear on the Defilers/Scum of the Earth DVD. I'm not sure where these were originally shown so any info on that would be cool too.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I like the audio stuff from SWV. You have the related video slideshow of posters and marketing materials along with the audio ads for the same stuff. I vote they should count.
And these are exactly the Gallery of Exploitation Art extras I was talking about so another vote for counting these from me.

It strikes me that two or three nudie shorts, trailers, and the exploitation art thing could easily add up to an hour or more just on one SWV disc. On the other hand, if you just want to keep it simple and stick to feature length films, I'm good with that too.
Old 04-02-12, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Four Flies was a major dud - the most underwritten and uninteresting lead of any Argento film (which is saying something), absolutely excruciating comedic relief, and a killer that whose identity was obvious from the get go. Back on Amazon it goes. Also, whose bright idea was it to situate the subtitles a third of the way up the frame, especially when the alternative - listening to the English dub - might destroy your speakers?
Old 04-02-12, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by omike
Thanks to all who replied to my question about extras on SWV discs. I really wasn't clear enough. I should have specifically asked about the nudie cutie type shorts, often two or three, that appear on some DVDs. Could they be accumulated to count? I'm talking about things like Sandy and Ajax in "Intimate Diary of Artists' Models" and the Bennett twins in Barry Mahon's "Naked Fury" which appear on the Defilers/Scum of the Earth DVD. I'm not sure where these were originally shown so any info on that would be cool too.

And these are exactly the Gallery of Exploitation Art extras I was talking about so another vote for counting these from me.

It strikes me that two or three nudie shorts, trailers, and the exploitation art thing could easily add up to an hour or more just on one SWV disc. On the other hand, if you just want to keep it simple and stick to feature length films, I'm good with that too.
The best part about SWV special features is that they are pretty much all at least 90 minutes if you watch everything. I can't think of one off the top of my head that didn't have at least that much stuff on each one.
Old 04-02-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched the IFC documentary The Spaghetti West to help get me in the mood to watch some westerns. Even though it didn't really shed any light on anything I didn't already know it did get me in the mood for westerns... 3 Bullets For Ringo was the first one I chose and it effectively killed my mood. I still have about 25 minutes left in it... I'll finish it after wrestling. Then tackle another movie... maybe an old favorite SW to erase that memory.
Old 04-02-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The best part about SWV special features is that they are pretty much all at least 90 minutes if you watch everything. I can't think of one off the top of my head that didn't have at least that much stuff on each one.
A lot of their earliest releases are bare bones (Wishman films,Friedman & Lewis films---aside from the commentaries) It wasn't untill they started doing the double-features when all the shorts & trailers began to pile up.

It's cool that there's a ruling that a viewing of all that material could count in the list, but I'm still fine with listing them as seperate entries on mine.
Old 04-02-12, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A Tobe Hooper/Cannon double-feature tonight: Invaders from Mars and Lifeforce, the latter in glorious 1080i, uncut and remastered. Yay for polished turds!
Old 04-02-12, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't argue with a gorgeous naked woman running around in high def
Old 04-02-12, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
A Tobe Hooper/Cannon double-feature tonight: Invaders from Mars and Lifeforce, the latter in glorious 1080i, uncut and remastered. Yay for polished turds!
i love lifeforce. Dan O'bannon and Tobe Hooper make an Apoclyptic Vampire Alien pic...genius. Its worth watching it just for that ending helicopter scene alone.
Old 04-02-12, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Martin Landau might be an acclaimed actor, but he was in some major CRAP during the 1970's - I'm watching The Being right now and it's as bad as bad can be. Half of the wooden nobody lead's dialogue is thought, instead of spoken. Madness. Warning Sign was also pretty low rent.
Old 04-02-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by omike
Some of those shorts on the various SWV/Image DVDs are peepshow shorts, some are mail-order shorts, and some are clips taken from longer films. It's sometimes hard to tell if they're from longer films unless you've seen the film. Last year, I watched Sexy Proibitissimo, and immediately recognized one part of it, because it was included as an extra on the Nude on the Moon DVD that I'd watched a couple weeks earlier.

They also sometimes include "R-rated" cuts of X-rated films (meaning SWV edited out the hardcore stuff) as extras, but those are easier to figure out with IMDb & Google.
Old 04-02-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched Teenage Caveman (2002) earlier tonight and all I can say is WOW, this movie was made for this challenge. Quite possibly the worst acting I've ever seen in a movie! The only redeeming quality is it does have a fair amount of nudity, but even that can't make up for the lack of plot and script. IMDB lists it as a TV movie, but there's enough nudity in it to make me question that. Must have been made for HBO or Showtime.
Old 04-02-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The Baby, on netflix streaming, was amazing. Check it out if you can, much more fun than I thought it would be.

No exploitation challenge would be complete without Thriller: A Cruel Picture... which is surprisingly artful.
Old 04-02-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Currently in-between a Cannon Bronson and Norris 2-fer with Assassination and Code of Silence. Good stuff.

They're part of three Cannon 3 Packs (Death Wish 2/Death Wish 3/Death Wish 4, Delta Force/Delta Force 2/Code of Silence and The Mechanic/Messenger of Death/The Mechanic) I stumbled across in the $4.99 bin at Best Buy.

And another safe list director: Jamaa Fanaka. Just saw on Facebook he died today at 69. Never caught any of his films, but got a couple in my Netflix queue I'll be checking out soon.
Old 04-02-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Martin Landau might be an acclaimed actor, but he was in some major CRAP during the 1970's - I'm watching The Being right now and it's as bad as bad can be. Half of the wooden nobody lead's dialogue is thought, instead of spoken. Madness. Warning Sign was also pretty low rent.
Arg, I just bought some double feature with The Being!

Also I remember enjoying Warning Sign...
Old 04-02-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Arg, I just bought some double feature with The Being!

Also I remember enjoying Warning Sign...
I was thinking of Without Warning (which also had a youth David Caruso, yet to master his sunglass-removal technique) - Warning Sign was actually a decent film, sort of a precursor to the Final Destination series. The book Nightmare USA really turned me on to a lot of cult stuff that I had neglected.
Old 04-02-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, back to the challenge. Anyone else getting a little annoyed/bummed that some movies you end up loving are nearly impossible to find legit retail releases of? That is a painful downside to being a lover of any sort of cult film genre.
Old 04-02-12, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was thinking of Without Warning (which also had a youth David Caruso, yet to master his sunglass-removal technique) - Warning Sign was actually a decent film, sort of a precursor to the Final Destination series. The book Nightmare USA really turned me on to a lot of cult stuff that I had neglected.
Are we both talking about this movie?

Also rounding the night out with a few glasses of wine and The Green Inferno.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 04-02-12 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-03-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, I'm mistaken once again. Sole Survivor (1983) is the decent Final Destination precursor, Warning Sign is a pretty good film, and Without Warning is terrible. I'm beginning to think I've seen too many movies...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.