Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

Old 02-06-12, 12:56 AM
  #51  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 465
Re: Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

Originally Posted by Texan26 View Post
Don't you buy used used DVDs? You have posted in the used blockbuster sales thread. It's legal but the people that made the movie don't make any extra movie since it was bought as new before. If people sold your copyright books used, you would not get paid again. If you are worried about the film makers getting their money, don't buy used DVDs and buy a new copy instead.
The used DVD market, like the used book market, is going to be a fairly small section of the market. More important, they're legal under copyright law, which represents a compromise between the interests of authors and the public. We do lose some money, not because there's an active market for buying and selling our books used, but because some companies put them in their libraries, making them available to multiple employees. But when people do legally purchase used DVDs or books, at least the publisher made the profit on one sale initially. With bootlegs, there is no such profit.

As a practical matter, studios gain much more by having Blockbuster buy thousands of rental copies from them than they lose from having some people buy a used copy (often months after the movie is first released). What they lose off bootlegs is a total loss.
Silverscreenvid is offline  
Old 02-06-12, 01:04 AM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 465
Re: Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
A distinction can be made over intent. Timeshifting to watch later is different than recording a movie or tv show with the intent of adding it to your permanent collection.
Example: Years ago, long before they were released on DVD I burned to dvd-r every episode of the tv show Combat! off Encore Action channel. I labeled each disc and made homemade covers. Later the show was released to DVD.
The copyright laws are a compromise. For years, the maximum copyright was 56 years; now it's considerably longer. Congress and the courts balance the interests of authors and studios against the general public. To some extent, the exact boundaries of copyright law are arbitray. Time shifting is legal, no matter whether you watch something an hour later or years later, one time or 100 times. Selling recorded copyrighted materials is not.
Silverscreenvid is offline  
Old 02-06-12, 05:17 AM
  #53  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,575
Re: Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid View Post
The copyright laws are a compromise. For years, the maximum copyright was 56 years; now it's considerably longer. Congress and the courts balance the interests of authors and studios against the general public. To some extent, the exact boundaries of copyright law are arbitray. Time shifting is legal, no matter whether you watch something an hour later or years later, one time or 100 times. Selling recorded copyrighted materials is not.
However, no distinction is made for the source of the copyrighted material. There is no seperate provision for dvds, cable, etc. Renting the DVD of Casablanca and copying it is the same as copying it off Turner Classic Movies under the copyright law. Either way you have made a copy of the movie.
The scary FBI warning on tapes and DVDs is nothing new, just a reference to sections 501 and 506 of the copyright law which have been around for decades before home video and is a blanket provision covering all copyrighted material and sources. There are no seperate provisions under the law distinguishing what source the material was copied from.
rw2516 is offline  
Old 02-10-12, 05:54 PM
  #54  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 79
Re: Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

Brace yourselves...Go to Amazon and look at how much World Trade Center on Blu-ray is going for.

Can you say ultra rare?
vdc530 is offline  
Old 02-10-12, 06:07 PM
  #55  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,816
Re: Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

Originally Posted by vdc530 View Post
Brace yourselves...Go to Amazon and look at how much World Trade Center on Blu-ray is going for.

Can you say ultra rare?
I see some sellers at about 10 bucks.
The Cow is offline  
Old 02-10-12, 06:16 PM
  #56  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 79
Re: Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

New? Where I'll buy some right now?
vdc530 is offline  
Old 02-13-12, 04:17 AM
  #57  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 79
Re: Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

All this talk about bootlegging hurting film studios is a load of shit. Of course it hurts them, but compared to the hundreds of millions they make it's barely scratching the surface. It's just corporations doing what corporations do best maximizing profits, anything that stands in the way of increasing profits must be dealt with. So they lobby for stuff like SOPA and what not.

Take a look at Bringing out the Dead on Amazon now...it went from $3 New to $10 New to $20 and now it's at $30!!! It jumped from $10 to $20 overnight and since this thread has been created from $20 to $30. Do you even know how many copies were being sold by amazon sellers under $25? More then 50! people are buying them at a jaw dropping rate and it's not even a well known title.

http://www.amazon.com/Bringing-Out-D...9128148&sr=8-2

God damn this is turning out the be a great investment. Too bad I only bought 1 LOL
vdc530 is offline  
Old 02-17-12, 11:29 AM
  #58  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 266
Re: Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

Ended up selling my unopened copy for $9.99 + 2.99 S+H on the bay. Not gonna miss this movie too much. I like it but I dont plan on watchin it anytime soon. I think I originally got this during a DeepDiscount BOGO for like $3.
crazychris88 is offline  
Old 02-18-12, 11:19 AM
  #59  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,401
Re: Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

Huh?

Lots of Bringing out of the Dead going for under $10 on eBay.

Oh, I get it. People are going by used prices on Amazon where retards put things up for insane prices and for some reason, people assume that's the real value.

Just because no one else has a copy of GI Jane on Blu-ray listed, and one idiot lists it for $50 does not mean it's the true "value". Are some of you guys actually believing this shit? Let me sell you some "rare" Blu-rays for $25 each. You can make a profit.

Last edited by Gizmo; 02-18-12 at 11:25 AM.
Gizmo is online now  
Old 02-18-12, 01:30 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,517
Re: Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

It's interesting reading all of the comments about piracy, everything from morally righteous standpoints to casual standpoints.

Copyright is not an easy black and white issue.

For instance, are you legally allowed to borrow your friends (legal) copy of a film and watch it by yourself? If you do, this causes the copyright holder to potentially lose a sale.

Is it only legal if you go over to your friends house and watch it at the same time together?

Is playing a copyrighted recorded song during a school Christmas show technically copyright theft as well? Is it considered "Fair Use"?

Are you guilty of copyright infringement by lip-synching to the Hall & Oates version of "Jingle Bell Rock"? Or was it just simply a lapse of judgement in musical taste when you were young?

The list can go on and on.

It's easy to get on ones righteous high-horse and declare theft but let's face it; we've all "stolen" content in one form or another by the letter of the law.

We're given tools like VCRs, PVRs and computers, whose primary function is to send and receive digital data. Big business has made a lot of money from technology and piracy will always be one of the trade-offs.

Last edited by orangerunner; 02-18-12 at 01:38 PM.
orangerunner is offline  
Old 02-18-12, 04:18 PM
  #61  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 79
Re: Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Huh?

Lots of Bringing out of the Dead going for under $10 on eBay.

Oh, I get it. People are going by used prices on Amazon where retards put things up for insane prices and for some reason, people assume that's the real value.

Just because no one else has a copy of GI Jane on Blu-ray listed, and one idiot lists it for $50 does not mean it's the true "value". Are some of you guys actually believing this shit? Let me sell you some "rare" Blu-rays for $25 each. You can make a profit.
If someone has the last copy of GI Jane BD and someone buys it for $50 bucks then market value for that is $50 bucks. Just because you personally don't think something is worth that much doesn't mean it isn't for the rest of the world.

Star Wars E. 1 is selling for 30+ dollars on Amazon and it looks to be selling like hot cakes if the sales rank is to be believed. That means that DVD is worth 30+ dollars in it's current limited quantities.
vdc530 is offline  
Old 02-19-12, 11:04 AM
  #62  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,338
Re: Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

Originally Posted by wz42 View Post
Woody Allen has made both some of the funniest and remarkable films humanity has been blessed with. And according to this DVDTalk review this is what he says about him and his work:

It's this quiet humility which makes me proud to have bought and owned so many Woody Allen DVDs and to have been such a big fan of his throughout the years.

This is the kind of artist I'm ecstatic to pay to support.
I've always been baffled by this sort of attitude. Do you like J.S. Bach and dislike Beethoven because Bach was a humble man and Beethoven was arrogant? I don't care what an artist is like in their personal life, I'm only interested in the art.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 02-20-12, 03:56 PM
  #63  
Senior Member
 
Texan26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 924
Re: Bringing out the Dead - OOP!! Doubles in Price Overnight!

I put this movie (60s DVD link) on my wish list at Gohastings. It was listed at $6.99 used and always out of stock. They now have it in stock but the price is now $79.98. I wonder how much they paid the person that sold it to them.
Texan26 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.