Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Even though you're a completist, You just CAN'T bring yourself to buy this movie..

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Even though you're a completist, You just CAN'T bring yourself to buy this movie..

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I own quite a few series's. Even if I don't love the whole franchise I still tend to buy the whole thing. For instance I own the whole George Romero dead series, even though I only moderatly enjoyed the last 2.

But there are some films that are technically part of the franchise that are so bad that I can't bare having them on my shelf. I just pretend they don't exist.

I own X Men 1-3 and X Men:First Class, but not X Men Origins Wolverine. I also own Terminator 1-3 but not Terminator Salvation. I found both films to be so offensive to the franchise that I don't consider them to exist.

Anyone else have similar habits?
Old 01-18-12, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Even though you're a completist, You just CAN'T bring yourself to buy this movie.

I do have a few where I've only bought the first movie only like "Friday the 13th", "Nightmare on Elmstreet", "Saw" because I wasn't a big fan of their sequels to rewatch them over and over and over again, but I enjoyed the originals. I also avoid made-for-video cheapquels like "The Lost Boy" series and the Disney continuations of their classic animated films.
Old 01-18-12, 01:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Even though you're a completist, You just CAN'T bring yourself to buy this movie.

Whoa. You have X-Men 3, but have no problems admitting you have Wolverine ? And you admit to owning Terminator 3 ?
Old 01-18-12, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think *not completing* a series would make you *not* a completist. If you enjoyed the film, or appreciate what it brings to the series, enough to buy it, do. If not, don't. Seems only rational.

Never understood the mentality anyway. Too "hoarder" for me.
Old 01-18-12, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Matrix and Back to the Future - I didn't like the sequels to those at all.
Old 01-18-12, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I've promised myself never to own a copy of Jaws: The Revenge. Even if it were given to me, I'd dispose of it immediately.
Old 01-18-12, 10:31 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I usually only get movies I like. Take the James Bond movies, I have 3 with Roger Moore. Now I am more likely to pick up a movie in a series if it's really cheap, even if I don't like it as much, but am quite content to only own the Bond films I like. But I wouldn't own Moonraker if you paid me.
Old 01-18-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Batman Returns
Babe, Pig in the City
Shanghai Knights

I am sure I can think of more....
Old 01-18-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Whoa. You have X-Men 3, but have no problems admitting you have Wolverine ?
Read his post again.
Old 01-18-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Salvation was way better than Terminator 3.
Old 01-18-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not a movie but I have seasons 1-11 of Hawaii Five-O. The 12th and final season was just released but I have (so far) resisted the urge to buy it because most of the episodes from that season were abysmal.

As for movies, the fourth Indiana Jones movie would qualify.
Old 01-18-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Batman and Robin
Old 01-18-12, 02:56 PM

Off the top of my head, Star Trek V, Superman IV and Batman and Robin.
Old 01-18-12, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
I usually only get movies I like. Take the James Bond movies, I have 3 with Roger Moore. Now I am more likely to pick up a movie in a series if it's really cheap, even if I don't like it as much, but am quite content to only own the Bond films I like. But I wouldn't own Moonraker if you paid me.
which 3 of the roger moores do you have. My prediction is the spy who loved me, The Man with the golden gun,and for your eyes only
Old 01-18-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Superman 3 and 4, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

I have the first two X-Men, and I asked for First Class for Christmas (though I haven't had a chance to watch it yet).

But I have all of the Star Trek movies, twice. I have the original 2 discs SE's of all 10 movies, and then the two more recent box sets because of all the different extras and different cuts of TMP and TUC. (Which means I bought Nemesis three times: my wife bought a used copy of the original single disc version not realizing Paramount would probably double dip, then I bought the 2 disc SE and then the TNG movie box set).
Old 01-18-12, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Most of the ones where I'd literally actually avoid the movie...I've ended up with it in a box set anyway.

Godfather 3
Superman 4
X-Men 3
Both Batmans past Returns
Village of the Damned in the John Carpenter set (slightly different concept there but same thing applies I think)

Some franchises I completely ok only having a few...Star Trek for example. Others, Bond being one, strangely compel me to buy them all...pricepoint dependent of course. I force myself to find some redeeming value in all of them.

Even Moonraker.
Old 01-18-12, 09:18 PM

I'm horrible when it comes to this. I own all the Saw movies, although I only like 1-3 and 6. I own all the Romero dead movies, the last couple were pretty meh. I own all 4 of the Scary Movie series. ( I only like the first one )
Old 01-18-12, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Read his post again.
And ?
Old 01-18-12, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
And ?
Uh... he doesn't own Wolverine... as he stated in his post. Comprende?
Old 01-18-12, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I liked Salvation, too. Not a great movie by any stretch, but I did like seeing the future instead of just having another movie with Arnold being sent back in time to kill Sarah and John Conner.

As far as movie series go, I have Halloween, Halloween 2, Halloween III:Season of the Witch, Halloween IV, Halloween V, Halloween: Curse of Michael Myers, and Halloween H20. Can't bring myself to get Halloween Resurrection, even though V, Curse, and H20 are steaming piles of shit.
Old 01-18-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

as a horror fan a movie has to be pretty bad for me not to pick a copy to check out the rest of the series hell i even own rotld sequels \

however i do not own a copy of seed of chucky
Old 01-19-12, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I saw all the Transporter movies on the big screen. I have the first two on DVD, but will never buy the third.
Old 01-19-12, 07:54 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Pumpkinhead II (silly bullshit changed the lore), X-Men 3 (they killed everyone I cared about, effectively killing the possibility of sequels), I have the original Children of the Corn but have no desire to own any of the sequels (bunch of kids running around killing everybody, 1 of those is enough for me). I have Halloween I & II, and Friday the 13th 1 & 2, but have no interest in further sequels (all I wanted was a taste). There are others but they're minor. -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 01-19-12 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-19-12, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Much as I hated T3 and the TV-movie look it had, Salvation, with its pathetic deviations, clunky references, transformer ripoffs and rotten story, was much worse. In fact, Terminator Salvation, ignoring the kind of films that maybe didn't have the resources to realize their foolish ambition, may be the worst film I've ever seen.
Old 01-19-12, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I liked Salvation, too. Not a great movie by any stretch, but I did like seeing the future instead of just having another movie with Arnold being sent back in time to kill Sarah and John Conner.
To be fair, that only applies to the first film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.