Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2012 Horror Challenge

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2012 Horror Challenge

Old 08-09-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2012 Horror Challenge

As long as someone is doing the stabbing, I see it as being killed with a fish by a killer. If the swordfish were alive, jumped into a boat and impaled someone, that's what I'd call being killed by a fish.
Old 08-09-12, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Just to give an idea what it would look like on the checklist:

List 10 different kills:
--- 1. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 2. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 3. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 4. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 5. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 6. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 7. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 8. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 9. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
--- 10. Killed by (insert weapon), (insert title).
And probably should change the wording a bit as drowning or being killed by a giant monkey doesn't exactly qualify as a weapon. Kill method, maybe?

Originally Posted by rbrown498
This does bring up the question, however, as to whether there would be an extra day in the subset and theme night lists. My feelings are that if September 30th is added as a bonus day, it should be just that: a bonus day, without any kind of strings attached to any list (except for the checklist, of course). I would be more than happy with that scenario.
That didn't even occur to me until just recently! But yeah, it definitely would be a bonus day.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a "Criterion Crossover" for theme nights and, of course, that also entails picking a Criterion title for the subset list. And just to make it perfectly clear, it would be completely optional and not required to complete either list.

Since we're on the subject of the checklist, I would like to see the three optional decades from last year (1890s, 1900s, 1910s) rolled into the 1920s one and just have one item, perhaps called "Silent Horror: 1890-1929" or something along those lines. I'm also for taking out the "Silent Film" item, as it's redundant when there's a decade item from that era.
Noted.

I loved the composer checklist item last year; maybe it could be repeated this year with Howard Shore, Pino Donaggio, Ennio Morricone, Bernard Herrmann, or even Goblin.
Nice, you read my mind - already snuck Ennio Morricone on there.

And can't go without mentioning Goblin's Suspiria theme playing at the Olympics:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BUFJ2cGZtQk?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BUFJ2cGZtQk?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Random Theme Night / Checklist Suggestions

Here are some theme night ideas (if those are not yet finalized): horror movie remakes (i.e. Blob '88, Savini's NOTLD), H.P. Lovecrat based (i.e. From Beyond, Dagon, In the Mouth of Madness), buried undergroud (subterranean horror i.e. Descent, Boogens, My Bloody Valentine), medical horror (in honor of Chad's surgery i.e. Anatomy, Hands of Orloff, Dr Giggles, Re-Animator, The Dentist, even Frankenstein); campfire stories (based on a campground i.e. F13s, Cabin Fevers, Madmad, Camp Bloods).
And that was the next question. Been brainstorming in hopes of coming up with something fresh and fell a little short, so yeah, I can use some of those.

On checklist, I want to emphasize deleting all the checklist items based on the name alone (for example "revenge of...," "attack of..."); those are clever cliches to include but including them every year makes me revisie the same pool of films instead of encouraging diversity.
I think recent feedback is pointing towards retirement.

For fun, it might be interesting to include a "wild card" checklist item where users can specify whatever item they want to include. It might be interesting to see what people come up with and those ideas that stand out could be given consideration for formal checklist inclusion next year.
Interesting. I could try to whip up something.
Old 08-09-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chad
And can't go without mentioning Goblin's Suspiria theme playing at the Olympics
I prefer RJD2's interpretation:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-ZcydyS1qTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-11-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

Since the thread's gone a little cold, I thought that I'd bump it with this question: If you could recommend only one film that you've seen since last year's challenge, which would it be? My recommendation would be for Ty West's The Innkeepers.
Old 08-11-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since the thread's gone a little cold, I thought that I'd bump it with this question: If you could recommend only one film that you've seen since last year's challenge, which would it be? My recommendation would be for Ty West's The Innkeepers.
while reading your question the first movie that popped in my head was Innkeepers. good choice Im hoping ill be able to catch a showing of VHS.

theres been a few titles this year that I have really enjoyed.

Woman in Black, Theatre Bizarre, Cabin in the Woods, and Chillerama were some highlights

However my vote goes to Human Centipede 2. Imo this movie gave us what we were expecting in the first movie. I thought it was a clever sequel and delivered on the gore. Also Laurence Harvey*believe thats his name* gave an amazingly creepy performance.

i do have a few titles i been itching to watch but have been holding off until the challenge

Serbian Film
ATM
Mold
Marry Horror
The Dead
The Divide
Mother's Day *remake*

october can't come soon enough
Old 08-11-12, 11:33 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

An additional theme night idea: scream queens/idols (films with Quigley, Barbeau, etc).

For checklist if artistry is being considered (i.e. Academy Award item) then adding a "watch 2+ films by the same director" might be worth considering. This shouldn't replace individual director names on the checklist. This might encourage discussion of style as well as content. Also maybe featuring a prolific director as a theme night. The same consideration could be made for actors. Maybe also adding "an old film released on dvd/blu this year" would encourage new material.
...If you could recommend only one film that you've seen since last year's challenge, which would it be?...
Island of Lost Souls was enjoyable; haven't watched much horror this year. Innkeepers was great.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 08-11-12 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-12-12, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Rangled one of these right before the B-Movie challenge and was hard pressed not to watch it:

Still not sure if I want it as a swan song or a starting bell.
Old 08-12-12, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Won a copy of Frankenhooker in the sci fi challenge. Might save it for the horror challenge before I watch it.
Old 08-12-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been holding off on so many titles for October. It's almost becoming a problem... I buy a title in the early months of the year and think "should I hold on to this for October?"
Old 08-12-12, 01:12 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I think I will save my movie Aliens From the Deep for the horror challenge also. I still have three from the British Horror set that I won last year also. I will probably try to watch one of them for the challenge. I just can't wait! The Horror challenge should start more than one day early this year.
Old 08-12-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I've been holding off on so many titles for October. It's almost becoming a problem... I buy a title in the early months of the year and think "should I hold on to this for October?"
Several titles from my "unopened" stack were lined up for the Sci-Fi Challenge but also qualify as Horror titles. Because of all the Sci-Fi I'd purchased I pulled them to hold for October. A few of those were purchased before last years' Horror Challenge but I didn't get to them so I held them for the Sci-Fi Challenge where they got held *again*. I'd told myself that *this year* I was going to watch all the Universal Horror titles in release order. If I do, many of those previously purchased titles may get put off *again*, along with those I've been picking up the past couple of months with October in mind. Right now I have at least 60 unopened horror titles awaiting October with more on the way. I'd say your problem is fairly common...
Old 08-12-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I've been struggling to hold off for The Woman in Black, The Innkeepers, Cabin in the Woods and some others. Definitely will be catching those the first few days of the challenge.

An additional theme night idea: scream queens/idols (films with Quigley, Barbeau, etc).
Already included! I unfortunately lost a good link that had a 100 scream queens listed, many of which were pretty obscure names. But links are aplenty on the net.

Now how about some suggestions for "Watch a film starring" since I always forget to ask and end up doing it myself. To avoid repeats, here's the selections from the past few years:

Spoiler:
Barbara Crampton
Barbara Shelley
Doug Bradley
Sid Haig
Hazel Court
Klaus Kinski
Lance Henriksen
Ken Foree
Lon Chaney Jr.
Lon Chaney Sr.
Michael Gough
Ron Perlman
Tom Atkins
Ted Raimi
Reggie Bannister
Vincent Price
Basil Rathbone
Glenn Strange
John Saxon
Danny Trejo
Paul Naschy
José "Coffin Joe" Marins
Donald Pleasence
John Carradine
Clint Howard
Michael Berryman
Bill Moseley
Keith David
Dick Miller
David Warner
Udo Kier
Barbara Steele
Tony Todd
Brad Dourif
Linnea Quigley
Debbie Rochon
Bela Lugosi
Lon Chaney Sr.
Boris Karloff
Lon Chaney Jr.
Peter Cushing
Christopher Lee
Robert Englund
Bruce Campbell
Jamie Lee Curtis

Also remember if an actor's filmography is limited, we can always add another 1 or 2 more actors for that item.
Old 08-12-12, 06:38 PM

Now how about some suggestions for "Watch a film starring" since I always forget to ask and end up doing it myself. Also remember if an actor's filmography is limited, we can always add another 1 or 2 more actors for that item.
Chad, here are some that I came up with. I checked all of them out on the IMDB, and each has 7+ horror film credits:

Evelyn Ankers
Adrienne Barbeau
Peter Lorre
Robert Quarry
Ingrid Pitt
Brinke Stevens

A "face off" idea: Bette Davis OR Joan Crawford
Old 08-12-12, 06:48 PM

Okay, two more:

Morris Ankrum
Elisha Cook (Jr.)
Old 08-12-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...Now how about some suggestions for "Watch a film starring"...
Oliver Reed - 15
Ralph Bates - 6
Veronica Carlson - 6
Claude Rains - 4
Peter Lorre - 7
Jeff Morrow - 6
Faith Domergue - 6
John Agar - 15
Beverly Garland - 7
Lionel Belmore - 4
Max von Sydow - 9
Jack Nicholson - 7

Links to IMSB list of horror films for the actor.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 08-12-12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-12-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dee Wallace?
Old 08-12-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Won a copy of Frankenhooker in the sci fi challenge. Might save it for the horror challenge before I watch it.
I second Frankenhooker as a subset title.
Old 08-12-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also how about Michelle Bauer?
Old 08-12-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any idea if the checklist will be posted somewhat soon? I like spending way too much time going over it and cross referencing with my collection to find the perfect minimum number of movies to complete it.
Old 08-12-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Raine Brown
Danielle Harris
Ruby Larocca
Lloyd Kaufman
Old 08-12-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Oliver Reed - 15
Ralph Bates - 6
Veronica Carlson - 6
Claude Rains - 4
Peter Lorre - 7
Jeff Morrow - 6
Faith Domergue - 6
John Agar - 15
Beverly Garland - 7
Lionel Belmore - 4
Max von Sydow - 9
Jack Nicholson - 7

Links to IMSB list of horror films for the actor.
Okay, I can't for the life of me figure out how to add actors to that moviemeter(?) list.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Any idea if the checklist will be posted somewhat soon? I like spending way too much time going over it and cross referencing with my collection to find the perfect minimum number of movies to complete it.
Yes, fairly soon. Around the time I post the discussion thread, which is just under two weeks away.
Old 08-12-12, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto. I don't buy as much but my Netflix queue is full of horror titles (classics I really need to see).
Old 08-13-12, 09:23 AM

Some more actor/actress suggestions:
Kane Hodder - 66 horror films (F13s, Devil's Rejects, Hatchets, etc)
Angela Bettis - 9 horror films (May, Carrie 2002, Toolbox Murders, MoH: Sick Girl, The Woods, Scar, Wicked Lake, The Woman, Bless the Child)
Asia Argento - 13 horror films (Demons 2, The Chruch, Trauma, Land of the Dead, Mother of Tears, etc)

Last edited by Undeadcow; 08-13-12 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, I can't for the life of me figure out how to add actors to that moviemeter(?) list.
They have a unique ID code associated with each "Cast/Crew" member which forces you to use the "Advanced Title Search" to get the correct number.

Here's the step by step:

Scroll down to the bottom of *any* page and select search. That takes you to the "Advanced Search" page.

On the "Advanced Search" page click the "Advanced Title Search" link in the 2nd paragraph. (I keep that one bookmarked for easier access).

Fill out what you want/need. The "Actor" field is towards the bottom and is called "Cast/Crew". When you put a name or partial name in that field it will do a "spinner" and come up with matches. Select the one you want from the list.

Scroll to the bottom and click the yellow/gold "Search" button.

For those I posted I checked "Feature Film" as the "Title Type", "Horror" as the "Genre", and filled in the actor in the "Cast/Crew" field.

There's a *ton* of ways to narrow searches with that feature. I use it for challenges all the time to find those obscure titles. Beats the heck out of pulling up *every* film someone did looking for that "one" genre film you need.
Old 08-14-12, 10:00 PM

Picked up Synapse Films' Twins of Evil blu-ray along with The Boogens and Redemption/Kino's Requiem for a Vampire... Must resist until October.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.