Re: First Ever November Comedy Challenge discussion/suggestions/comments thread

Time for Ash to request a sticky on the list thread
Old 11-01-11, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Here's Stephen Chow to tell you:

"TIME FOR A STICKY ON THE LIST THREAD!!!!"

(He's already upset with me for forgetting him in the Hong Kong comedy post.)
Old 11-01-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by takingchase
I love Sammo Hung!

Challenge is officially on. Is anyone else going for a two for one with horror comedy?
I would have forgotten to post them if you didn't remind me. I just happened to watch Halloween episodes of a few comedy shows without really thinking about it.

I plan to focus on this challenge the entire month but last month has drained me of any desire to do checklists or theme nights. My collection leans more towards horror, so it's really easy for me to find things that qualify as a check or the theme but comedy would take effort and well, I'm lazy.

Then again, I just took a glance at the checklist and it doesn't seem to be that hard. I wouldn't do something like try to use one movie for only one check but I may give it a shot.
Old 11-01-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,020 Likes on 843 Posts

As I've mentioned in various threads , I've been on a Chuck binge all year, starting with the Make Your Own challenge, which has kept me from diving in as deep on other challenges. I thought I might actually count some of Chuck toward this challenge, but I finished season 4 on Saturday. Oh well.

I kicked things off with Young Frankenstein. Crappy non-anamorphic DVD because I was too lazy to go downstairs and crack open my Mel Brooks blu box. Still a good film that I haven't seen in many years, though.
Old 11-01-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

On Theme Night- What's 12 & 14 blank for?
Old 11-01-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

While I'm in the comedy challenge, 100 movies last month pretty much drained me, so I don't know how active I'll be in this challenge. I will watch some comedy, and already have a couple on my list and plan to watch a Jeff Dunham special tonight, but most of this month is mainly going to be focusing on what I want to watch. Anyone else plan to take it easy this challenge after binging on horror all month long?
Old 11-01-11, 02:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
While I'm in the comedy challenge, 100 movies last month pretty much drained me, so I don't know how active I'll be in this challenge. I will watch some comedy, and already have a couple on my list and plan to watch a Jeff Dunham special tonight, but most of this month is mainly going to be focusing on what I want to watch. Anyone else plan to take it easy this challenge after binging on horror all month long?
I'll be taking it easy too, but mainly because my fiancee would annull our marriage if I watched 100+ again.

Now if this was last year, I probably would be watching 50 films and 10 seasons of television, and never would have had the time to meet my fiancee. Thanks for waiting a year to start this takingchase!
Old 11-01-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KaBluie
Two nights of
Old 11-01-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope. I'm going to watch as much as before only with more TV shows. I'm also really going to focus on my unwatched comedy DVDs and blu-rays.
Old 11-01-11, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Two nights of
I'm out those nights. The only thing worse than Adam Sandler comedy is Wayans comedy. +
Old 11-01-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Nope. I love comedy films too! I picked up a copy of the new Laurel and Hardy Essential Collection that I've been itching to open and start. This'll give me a very good excuse!

The checklist is a "no brainer" - I already own anything needed. I'll have moret trouble deciding just what to watch to get a check. I'm anticipating no duplicates on this one, even taking into account theme nights.

My biggest problem is the theme nights. Do I or don't I? I'm pretty sure I have something for every night... But wait! I see this: "BONUS - Watch 1 entries worth of live TV (doesn't have to be same night) to replace any theme night". Hmmm do I want to put up with commercials for a gimmee on some of those?
Old 11-01-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Checklist Tip:

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) Can cover 10 checklist entries

1. Watch a film from 10 of the 13 decades of film history: 2000
2. Watch a film from 5 of the 11 possible ratings: PG-13
3. Watch items in at least three formats: Whatever format you watch it on
4,5,6,7. Watch a film from at least four of these modern comedians: 6 of the ones on the list are in this movie Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, Seth Rogan, Luke Wilson, Ben Stiller
8. Watch a film from at least five of these writers, directors, or producers: Judd Apatow is one of the producers
9,10. Watch at least two films with current/ex cast members of Saturday Night Live: 6 ex & 1 current cast members are in this movie Will Ferrell, Chris Parnell, Fred Armisen, David Koechner, Jerry Minor, Laura Kightlinger, Ben Stiller

Last edited by KaBluie; 11-01-11 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-01-11, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do you search for anything other than a film/actor/director on RottenTomatoes? I've found the 100 certified fresh lists but I'd really like to see all the comedy films rated 90% or higher. I've poked around some but just can't find a way to do a *real* search! (no... I never really use that site)

This is for the theme night: Not so rotten tomatoes – 90% or higher on rotten tomatoes.
Old 11-01-11, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I forgot to edit my original message. The first post has the updated list. The 12th is made for tv movie and the 14th is famous comedy duos. Anyone that can manage to sit through Blankman is welcome to count it for either day

Checklist Tip:

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004) Can cover 10 checklist entries

1. Watch a film from 10 of the 13 decades of film history: 2000
2. Watch a film from 5 of the 11 possible ratings: PG-13
3. Watch items in at least three formats: Whatever format you watch it on
4,5,6,7. Watch a film from at least four of these modern comedians: 6 of the ones on the list are in this movie Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, Seth Rogan, Luke Wilson, Ben Stiller
8. Watch a film from at least five of these writers, directors, or producers: Judd Apatow is one of the producers
9,10. Watch at least two films with current/ex cast members of Saturday Night Live: 6 ex & 1 current cast members are in this movie Will Ferrell, Chris Parnell, Fred Armisen, David Koechner, Jerry Minor, Laura Kightlinger, Ben Stiller
Nicely done. I might have to ramp up the checklist difficulty next year.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
How do you search for anything other than a film/actor/director on RottenTomatoes? I've found the 100 certified fresh lists but I'd really like to see all the comedy films rated 90% or higher. I've poked around some but just can't find a way to do a *real* search! (no... I never really use that site)

This is for the theme night: Not so rotten tomatoes – 90% or higher on rotten tomatoes.
I really need to get those theme night links up. In the mean time here's the link to all comedies with at least 30 reviews and a 90% or better. On the left you can tweak it any way you like to filter the results.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie/...&mpaa=&decade=
Old 11-01-11, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Thanks for the link! I finally stumbled across it... could they hide it any better? What's so hard about having a true "search" or link to "advanced search"? They call it "DVD Finder" but even then it's somewhat obscured on sub-pages and gets a new name once it's used! It's like they don't want you to actually use the site to look for older stuff. Or is the front page so overloaded with crap (which it is) it gets lost?
Old 11-01-11, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^Thanks for the link! I finally stumbled across it... could they hide it any better? What's so hard about having a true "search" or link to "advanced search"? They call it "DVD Finder" but even then it's somewhat obscured on sub-pages and gets a new name once it's used! It's like they don't want you to actually use the site to look for older stuff. Or is the front page so overloaded with crap (which it is) it gets lost?
For as popular of a site as Rotten Tomatoes is it surprised me too. When I first had the idea I spent at least 15 minutes fumbling around their site trying to figure it out.
Old 11-01-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by takingchase
For as popular of a site as Rotten Tomatoes is it surprised me too. When I first had the idea I spent at least 15 minutes fumbling around their site trying to figure it out.
A couple things:

1. You don't have a link to your own challenge in your signature

2. Next year's checklist should include a stand-up show.
Old 11-01-11, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is awesome. I have about 20 films on my Plex server to watch. I also picked up some new ones today (Bridemaids and Horrible Bosses). I think I'll start off theme night with Zombieland.
Old 11-01-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He has that in the Theme Nights list. I had a few items I was going to suggest (Buddy film, Screwball, Romantic, Animated, etc) but found they are in the Theme Night checklist. You could almost build the main checklist from the Theme Nights as many of those would normally be found in the Checklist in other challenges. I didn't pay too much attention in the Horror Challenge even though I completed both checklists. Was there much overlap in Theme Nights and the main Checklist items?
Old 11-01-11, 10:43 PM

A couple things:

1. You don't have a link to your own challenge in your signature

1. Done

2. I overlooked a lot that I had in my original checklist but time was running out and I rushed it. Next year it will be more challenging.
Old 11-02-11, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK Ratings- Anyone have a list of comedy movies Rated GP or M? I've seen both ratings before but can't find a list of either, they just talk about the history with no examples.
Old 11-02-11, 08:31 AM

OK Ratings- Anyone have a list of comedy movies Rated GP or M? I've seen both ratings before but can't find a list of either, they just talk about the history with no examples.
I've never seen a list of either, and I've done some searching.

I've used them in past Challenges when I accidentally watch a film with these ratings.
Old 11-02-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

M
If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium - Original version. Was edited to G

GP
The Twelve Chairs

Those are the two easy ones I found. If you want more, you'll need to do an advanced search at imdb and check the G rating and set the decade range to the years those 2 ratings were used. Then you get to check every movie to see what it's original rating was. Twelve Chairs was originally GP but from what I can tell, when that rating went away, it moved to G.
Old 11-02-11, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone recommend something for tonight's theme?
Old 11-02-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by supermike07
Can anyone recommend something for tonight's theme?
Coming To America
Trading Places
Brewster's Millions
Stir Crazy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.