Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

First Ever November Comedy Challenge discussion/suggestions/comments thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: First Ever November Comedy Challenge discussion/suggestions/comments thread

Ended with 57, which is 7 more than I thought I was going to end the challenge with. Still shy of 3 titles to reach my personal goal of 60 though. My list is final, I won't be returning to modify it. Now to shift gears to 100% holiday movies.
Old 12-01-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I received my Netflix disc of Your Highness yesterday but dozed off early last night and didn't get it onto my list (insert your own joke about the movie here). Still, a decent total for me with several first-time viewings that themselves make it worth it. Thanks for starting this new challenge!
Old 12-01-11, 01:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

As I imagined; the frantic last minute wedding planning, wedding, honeymoon, and still-ongoing move prevented me from watching much TV in November. I don't think I saw more than an hour a day on average, and that was probably much more than I should have watched!

I did follow the thread and think funny thoughts as often as possible. The checklist and themes were screaming for me, but I had to resist. Next year I'm hopefully all in.

Watched more Good Luck Charlie than I ever thought I would. Will try to update my list at some point, fwiw, although I'll didn't take notes on what I watched, and my usual method of documenting, keeping all my Challenge discs in a pile untill I update my list, won't work this month because of the disaster of the ongoing move to Maryland.

Big thanks to takingchase for fighting through his busy schedule and running this thing. I'm glad you got it going, and imagine it will be a very popular Challenge at DVDTalk for years.
Old 12-01-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

My list is finalized.
Old 12-01-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

My list is final - 139 total. I'd hoped to make it an even 140 but sleep caught up with me and thwarted the effort...

I, too, watched all 10 of the Ma & Pa Kettle films. It's been *years* since I'd seen many of those, especially the last 2. I was surprised at how funny they (the last 2) actually were. My recollections of them were that they were pale imitations of the originals. I especially enjoyed The Kettles in the Ozarks. Much funnier than I remembered.

My only regret is that I didn't make time to watch all the Marx Brothers films. I'd initially intended to do just that but I concentrated on "no duplicate" checklists and let the time slip away. I *did* manage to watch all but one of the Road Films of Hope/Crosby and most of Mel Brooks output so it wasn't a total waste.

This is *another* challenge I'll be looking forward to repeating.
Old 12-01-11, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Thanks takingchase for this great addition to the Challenge Schedule (it fits perfectly between the other two established challenges).

I finished up with 31 entries (25 movies and 26 TV eps). I was hoping to finally open and watch a few box sets, but I started late on that project (I still have a few Jerry Lewis films to watch before I switch over to Christmas movies). Maybe next year.

Last edited by Dimension X; 12-01-11 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-01-11, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a great challenge takingchase. Unfortunately I didn't do quite as well as the Horror challenge. I certainly expected to watch more than I did. Hopefully I'll do much better next year
Old 12-02-11, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I am gonna try and come up with some prizes this weekend guys...I know there was at least one suggestion in here so I will re-check the thread. Check the hamiltonbook.com site under movies/comedy if you want to make some suggestions.
Old 12-02-11, 09:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

kudo's to takingchase for hosting this challenge I really had a great deal of fun with this challenge - I really didn't really realize how broad this genre was - caught up on both the movies and tv shows (in regards to the latter, I have to seek out more episodes of Last of the Summer Wine) - given how busy the month of November is for me, I did pretty well - the week off to see family in Iowa greatly diminished the number of entries in the challenge - but hey at least we all got to see the new Muppet movie

20 films / 45 tv episodes / 4 misc.

Last edited by Giles; 12-02-11 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-02-11, 11:30 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I had fun with this challege as well. Only got to 24, but I did comedy for my "Make Your Own Challege", so I knew I would take it easier with this one. Plus there was tons of football and college basketball on. Best thing I did during this challege was go see Daniel Tosh live here in Charlotte.
Old 12-02-11, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
I had fun with this challege as well. Only got to 24, but I did comedy for my "Make Your Own Challege", so I knew I would take it easier with this one. Plus there was tons of football and college basketball on. Best thing I did during this challege was go see Daniel Tosh live here in Charlotte.

you know that you can use that as a "wild card" and include it as a challenge entry. Daniel's a riot btw, was he good?
Old 12-02-11, 03:43 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
you know that you can use that as a "wild card" and include it as a challenge entry. Daniel's a riot btw, was he good?
Thanks, I did not know that. He was great and the opening act, Tommy Johnagin, was almost as funny.
Old 12-02-11, 03:50 PM

as I can tell, hardly anyone used their wild cards - what's up with that??
Old 12-02-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

You just reminded me of one I saw that I can use for a wild card. I'm going to add it now.

So now I'm up to 59 and my list is final.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-02-11 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-02-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I've always been shaky on what a wild card is for. In a comedy challenge, you watch comedies, in a horror challenge, you watch horror flicks, etc.

I don't have any issues with other people using them, but I might be missing their purpose?
Old 12-02-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I am gonna try and come up with some prizes this weekend guys...I know there was at least one suggestion in here so I will re-check the thread. Check the hamiltonbook.com site under movies/comedy if you want to make some suggestions.
McHale's Navy S3 would be a title I'd like to win (I don't recall seeing S4). The Benny Hill sets you have listed would also make good prizes for those who like his humor. I looked at TV shows when you initially asked for suggestions but just forgot to post anything and didn't really look at the movies but will try to do that later.

I know we say it all the time but Hamilton Books support is *greatly* appreciated! The fact that you're a "regular" around here is nice too.
Old 12-02-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
I guess I've always been shaky on what a wild card is for. In a comedy challenge, you watch comedies, in a horror challenge, you watch horror flicks, etc.

I don't have any issues with other people using them, but I might be missing their purpose?
The only reason I could think of one being used for this challenge are for unintentional comedies.
Old 12-02-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Just like some titles might be more suspense, thriller, etc., than horror I imagine that some titles might be more drama, action, etc., than comedy. Using imdb as a resource for determining genres is a good baseline but what makes Bad Boys more of a comedy due to its comedic elements than a title like True Lies?
Old 12-03-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Here are more suggestions from that list and a few from a general "comedy" search - no particular order:

EVIL BONG
TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL COLLECTION
THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT
SGT. BILKO--THE PHIL SILVERS SHOW: 50th Anniversary Edition.
MAE WEST: The Glamour Collection
DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE
DOCTOR AT SEA
BLONDIE
COMEDY CLASSICS: The Keystone Kops, the East Side Kids, Fatty Arbuckle and Many More!

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't own any of these and would welcome any of them in my collection.
Old 12-03-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Ditto -esp. these:

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE
DOCTOR AT SEA
BLONDIE
COMEDY CLASSICS: The Keystone Kops, the East Side Kids, Fatty Arbuckle and Many More!

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't own any of these and would welcome any of them in my collection.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-03-11 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-04-11, 01:18 PM

it's just to bump up your final list number - I used one on a 3 minute short.

no but generally I like using wild cards on the theater stuff I see that isn't technically 'film'/'video' based. For the next animation challenge I'm going to add my animation work (YouTube link) I had done at a summer session at RISD.
Old 12-07-11, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here are more suggestions from that list and a few from a general "comedy" search - no particular order:

EVIL BONG
TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL COLLECTION
DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE
DOCTOR AT SEA
BLONDIE

I like this list. I am going to pull a few today and combine it with some MSTK I had sitting on my desk. Will let you guys know soon.
Old 12-07-11, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK for prizes we have:

Comedy Classics 100 Movie Set

Mae West: The Glamour Collection

Sgt. Bilko: The Phil Silvers 50th Anniversary Edition

Mystery Science Theater 3000 XXII: Time of the Apes/Mighty Jack/Violent Years/Brute Man

As always, I have 0 input in who gets what or how. However you guys decide this one, just let me know the winners and their addresses. (Normally when you are notified you won you just pm the challenge runner your address and he passes it on to me).

Congrats to whoever wins and it looks like this was a very successful inaugural challenge!
Old 12-07-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know we say it all the time but Hamilton Books support is *greatly* appreciated! The fact that you're a "regular" around here is nice too.
I am glad to be a part of these challenges and this board as it has been an INVALUABLE resource for me. In one place I can come and save money (lizards amazon thread, though "saving" when spending more money I might not have except for his thread is an oxymoron I guess!), check my competition's rates (big lots thread, DD sales thread, etc), and talk movies with other fans (horror challenge was a blast).

I know ten times more about DVDs than when I started thanks to this place!
Old 12-07-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Thanks GoldenWheels!

I noticed takingchase hasn't posted in seveal weeks. I sent him a PM (assuming that may also send him an e-mail) regarding the prizes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.