Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-11, 11:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Off to another slow start unfortunately, but hope to pick things up from here. For the second year in a row, I had some BS come up right at the start of October. I did check out Red White and Blue for my first viewing of the challenge. Definitely one of the all-around bleakest films I've seen in a while. Also interesting to see Marc Senter get out-psycho'ed for a change.
Old 10-03-11, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Anybody see the documentary Cropsey? Pretty well done flick. Watched it tonight.
I have this in my Netflix queue, planning on watching it this week.
Old 10-03-11, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody see the documentary Cropsey? Pretty well done flick. Watched it tonight.
Yeah, I saw it last year. Really interesting, thought-provoking flick.
Old 10-03-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm still taking it all in, but, yeah, it was quite a doc. Just wish I'd rented the disc instead of streaming for the commentary. Left me wanting more.
Old 10-04-11, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Ran into a few oddities earlier:
Revenge of the Living Dead Girls
Check this out if you want to see the SMARTEST zombies ever. We're talking about zombie-girls that can swim,hitchhike,drive cars,tie-up & gag victims,and can figure out who the real bad guys are without the help of any exposition!

The Cape Canaveral Monsters
The only sci-fi/horror film I've seen where the aliens are bouncing balls---As in, "Follow the bouncing ball".

Just wrapped out The Horrors of Stephen King on TCM. I never get tired of hearing the stories about The Shining from him.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I watched Big Alligator River for today's theme (and a few other checklist items), anyone see this? Sergio Martino cheesefest.
Yup, I've seen it. I've said elsewhere that Barbara Bach should never be in movies because her beauty is too distracting!
Old 10-04-11, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Joe Spinell's creepiness and Caroline Munro's hotness in Maniac, are ridiculously confusing.
Munro is so good-natured and enthusiastic that it's hard not to like her, but her performance is pretty terrible in Maniac. In her defense though, she's given basically nothing to work with. I always cracked up at the idea of a sleazy, pock-marked weirdo showing up uninvited at the apartment of a beautiful woman whose address he copped off of a travel bag, and being welcomed in with open arms.
Old 10-04-11, 12:18 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Ran into a few oddities earlier:
Revenge of the Living Dead Girls
Check this out if you want to see the SMARTEST zombies ever. We're talking about zombie-girls that can swim,hitchhike,drive cars,tie-up & gag victims,and can figure out who the real bad guys are without the help of any exposition!
That is pretty ridiculous for the undead, but my vote for the smartest zombies are the ones in Dead Snow. These zombies create plans of attack, as well as follow orders down a chain of command. They even use binoculars!

This actually has me thinking, what other movies have smart zombies?
Old 10-04-11, 01:04 AM

Just finished watching Laid to rest..it rocked! So far the best from the challenge. A great slasher flick, a la 80's style. Plenty of gore too. Now I wanna see part 2..though I heard it wasn't that great as the first.
Old 10-04-11, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Chad, I just noticed that the link in the Sauna discussion thread for Netflix Watch Instantly is actually for Night of the Comet. I don't think Sauna is available to stream on Netflix.
Old 10-04-11, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished a sequel double feature. Child's Play 2 and Phantasm 2. I figure it's about time I dig into the "Chucky killer franchise" set after watching the first film last year. And it's been years since I saw Phantasm 2, and picking up that Universal 4 movie set awhile back that has it and other flicks on it for $5 was a great deal.
Old 10-04-11, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Munro is so good-natured and enthusiastic that it's hard not to like her, but her performance is pretty terrible in Maniac. In her defense though, she's given basically nothing to work with. I always cracked up at the idea of a sleazy, pock-marked weirdo showing up uninvited at the apartment of a beautiful woman whose address he copped off of a travel bag, and being welcomed in with open arms.
So true! Even in the extras, Tom Savini said the idea of someone like Munro's character even hanging out with someone like Spinell's was out of left field.

When I watched it today I had a feeling that her character was written in:

Spoiler:
to give Zito a way to get caught.

Either way, Munro gets a thumbs up from me for strutting around in leather pants in Maniac

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
Just finished watching Laid to rest..it rocked! So far the best from the challenge. A great slasher flick, a la 80's style. Plenty of gore too. Now I wanna see part 2..though I heard it wasn't that great as the first.
Glad you liked it! I would not shut up about that film after the first time I saw it and I pretty much talked about it non-stop during last year's Challenge.
Old 10-04-11, 04:23 AM

The first half of the day was spent on pretty crappy movies, just about draining me. Thankfully, I was smart enough to pick out Orca, Henry, and Uzumaki to end it with, all of which I really enjoyed. Time to go pass out and hope for a better run tomorrow.
Old 10-04-11, 06:52 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought it was fine, but perhaps it had been a bit oversold to me. Good documentary but I felt it could have been much more powerful -- not the material, which was fascinating, but the way the film was made. Any more might be a spoiler, so I'll leave it at that.

I watched Alligator for my Jawsploitation flick. Great, completely underrated movie.
Old 10-04-11, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Either way, Munro gets a thumbs up from me for strutting around in leather pants in Maniac
Her leather bikini in Starcrash is even more impressive:

Old 10-04-11, 08:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I've got a bunch of those, purchased pretty much just for this challenge. Mostly DTV stuff, but there are some decent movies to be found in there, such as Below and Darkness.
I have bought dozens of those multi-film horror collections over the years, always planning to watch them for these Horror Challenges. But every year Chad comes up with cool things like the subset and themes, and strengthens them each year, making it difficult to marathon through anything of my own choosing. Curse that Chad!
Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'm getting impatient waiting for my next movie. I had a friend who specifically requested to see Destroy All Monsters tonight, so my movie watching is on hold until he shows up.
Is that the new BD I've heard about? How is it?
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I am glad Cronenberg made it to the check-list, he's got a lot of quality stuff out there. First time viewing of Scanners (which although listed as horror on imdb is not really) was amazing. I'm going to carry over to tomorrow's theme with a Cronenberg double feature pairing with Rabid. I wonder if Shivers is worth hunting down at an oop premium.
I end up enjoying all of Cronenberg's films, but think I'd wait for a cheap re-issue or BD on that one if I were you.
Originally Posted by Shack
I tried there first, but also no luck. Ah well, I'm enjoying Rabid as my theme movie of the day.
Ended up randomly watching Rabid the other day, coincidentally on the day it fit the theme. Better than I expected. Marilyn Chambers was pretty, and a better actress than I thought she would be. Not great, or even very good, but decent enough in that role imo.
Originally Posted by orlmac
I have yet another question on categories. For "Takes Place on a Holiday", if the movie lists New Year's Day in it's keywords would it qualify (I'm looking at Cronos)?
I'd count it.
Originally Posted by Chad
I suppose they could. I've always considered them hour long feature-films myself.
Whenever I see my MOH sets or hear them mentioned, I think of them as the OHMC's Cheats. Count them as films or TV. Fulfill lots of checklist items. Get 39 counts on your 100 in less than 39 hours! I'm not complaining mind you.
Originally Posted by NoirFan
I love the way this Challenge makes me feel like I've had a productive weekend, even though all I've done is sit on the couch and watch movies. I'm managing to bang out a cool 21 this weekend, though most have been in the 60-75 minute range.
Amen! I felt like last October was the most industrious month of my entire life. Between the viewings, my list, and these threads I devoted 16+ hours a day to a singular task for an entire month. I've seriously never worked so hard or been so committed to anything in my entire life. Felt a great sense of accomplishment when it was done. Of course, 99.99% of humankind would say that I wasted an entire month of my life......
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
There's also Snow White: A Tale of Terror (TV 1997), also for HBO I believe. This is excellent and highly recommended. Very dark telling of Snow White. I'm planning on watching this one for that item.
Originally Posted by clckworang
Thinking back, I think it came out on Showtime. I could be wrong, though. Regardless, I remember liking the movie and especially Sigourney Weaver's performance in it.
Sounds good, I'll have to search for that one.
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I also caught a first time viewing of The Last Man On Earth and was amazed by how lonely and isolated the themes come across. Great use of flashbacks. It's mind boggling that decades later someone thought it would be a good idea to adapt the same source into something with Will Smith and bad CGI.
Agreed. First one was much deeper than I expected.
Old 10-04-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My blog entry for yesterday is up if anyone wants to check it out. Covers Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, Big Alligator River and Mountaintop Motel Massacre.
Old 10-04-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Could I count Shadow of the Vampire and Nosferatu as a film and it's remake on the checklist?
Old 10-04-11, 09:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Could I count Shadow of the Vampire and Nosferatu as a film and it's remake on the checklist?
Great double feature! You could almost watch just Shadow of the Vampire and check that item.
Old 10-04-11, 09:39 AM

It's a great film but not really a remake. Arguably, Dracula could count as a remake of Nosferatu...
Old 10-04-11, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

You know, given the unique nature of the two movies involved, I'm fine with this. I can't really think of any other such pairing, so it's not like this is going to create an easily exploitable loophole.

EDIT TO ADD
Last year, I actually did this as a double feature. My wife and I streamed Nosferatu and then popped in Shadow of the Vampire on DVD. Because the double feature straddled midnight, my list makes it look like they were independently viewed of one another on back-to-back days.
Old 10-04-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Shack
It's a great film but not really a remake. Arguably, Dracula could count as a remake of Nosferatu...
Except, of course, that both originated from Bram Stoker's novel, Dracula so neither is a remake of anything; they're both adaptations of the same source (even if Murnau wasn't allowed to legally acknowledge this). Shadow of the Vampire isn't a remake in the traditional sense, but as a fictionalized account of the making of Nosferatu, in its own way I think the case can be made that it is very much a remake.

It seeks to recreate Nosferatu shot-for-shot in many scenes and the overall narrative is retained. Surely, it bears a closer kinship than other remakes. For instance, someone recently cited The Last Man on Earth and I Am Legend (itself a bad choice, given they were both based on the same literary source material).

Besides, that pairing is very much in the spirit of the challenge. I vote "Yay," not that this is a democracy.
Old 10-04-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Date of the movie proper.
That's what I was leaning towards at first but only half the show is of the movie and the rest are other things from different years. If it was just a regular rifftrax, then I'd do it on the movie year but it didn't feel right doing that for the show.

I'm not counting it towards yesterdays theme, since it wasn't a shark or fish attack film but Black Sheep was a lot better than I expected. The cover looks like something I'd find on the SyFy channel but this movie was actually really good

If I planned things better Black Sheep and Godmonster of Indian Flats would've been a great double feature.

Black Sheep
A delirious mix of broad comedy and wall-to-wall splatter, the New Zealand feature Black Sheep makes a convincing case for sheep as the new modern horror icon. These sheep aren't the garden variety grass eaters, however; they're genetically altered sheep who develop a ravenous hunger for human flesh after an experimental fetus is accidentally unleashed on a sprawling ranch by a hapless environmentalist (Kiwi actor and broadcaster Oliver Driver). And to make matters worse, those bitten by the monster sheep transform into monstrous "were-sheep" (spectacularly absurd creations by the Weta Workshop). The resulting clash between man and sheep is soaked in gore, of course, but the violence is taken to such outlandish extremes that only the easily nauseated or terminally grumpy will find it offensive. Writer/director Jonathan King's debut feature juggles the gore and the gags (many of which gleefully tread the lowbrow path) with skill thanks to an energetic cast, especially Nathan Meister as the sheep-phobic hero and Danielle Mason as an animal rights crusader who discovers her inner carnivore.
Godmonster of Indian Flats
Gaseous vapors from an ancient mine cause the birth of a huge squealing embryo that is taken to the laboratory of a local mad doctor where it grows into a monstrous 8-foot mutant sheep. Meanwhile, the racist mayor of an historic Wild West tourist town attempts to thwart the efforts of a black man buying real estate by attempting to lynch him! Plans go awry, however, when the giant, wool-covered Lamb from Hell escapes from the doctor's lab and starts waddling across the countryside. Spewing an orange phosphorous gas, the semi-prehistoric Godmonster of Indian Flats terrifies the population, blows up a gas station, and even "dances" with a deranged hippie chick until it's lassoed by cowboys. The mayor then startles everyone by putting "the damaged mongoloid beast" on display as "The 8th Wonder of the World!"
Old 10-04-11, 10:04 AM

Anybody who has watch La Meute (The Pack) care to give me their interpretation of that ending?
Old 10-04-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

Is that the new BD I've heard about? How is it?

No, sorry, not the BD of Destroy All Monsters, just the poorly released DVD copy that was put out by ADV no menu, no extras, and it doesn't even stop at the end. It starts the movie over again.
Old 10-04-11, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Except, of course, that both originated from Bram Stoker's novel, Dracula so neither is a remake of anything; they're both adaptations of the same source (even if Murnau wasn't allowed to legally acknowledge this). Shadow of the Vampire isn't a remake in the traditional sense, but as a fictionalized account of the making of Nosferatu, in its own way I think the case can be made that it is very much a remake.
Yeah, you're right (which is why I added "arguably" ). And I love Shadow of the Vampire so much that I'd never dissuade anyone from watching and counting it. I think this is the third time I've started the Challenge with that double feature.

And you're right that it's a unique case. Have there been any other horror films that use the making of another horror film as their source? An actual film, I mean, not like Scream 3.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.