Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-11, 01:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by mhg83
movie # 2- Never Sleep again- One of the best documentaries on movies i've seen i a long time. It's sad that this doc is more detailed and in depth than anything lucas has put out on Star Wars.

It seems like a lot of the movies had to be trimmed down to get an R. I wonder if we'll ever get the uncut versions on blu in the future?

Also didn't know how gay Nightmare 2 was! I have to go back and watch that movie again
listen to the commentary track on Fright Night and you'd be surprise how gay that movie was too.
Old 10-03-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's amazing. As I've gotten older, I've become an "early-to-bed, early-to-rise" kind of guy (although I'm still waiting for the "makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise" part to materialize). I'd see more movies in theaters if they ran in the mornings for $5 a ticket. If one of the multiplexes near my office in midtown Manhattan did that, I'd definitely catch a movie there before going into work every once in a while. Maybe not something long or a loud blockbuster, but something like MONEYBALL. ("Sorry I'm late. I had a doctor's appointment. With a Dr. Pitt.")
Check with your local AMC. Might be small town specific but mine only charges $4 for the first showing of the day. Of course sometimes the first showing of what I want to see still does not start till 11:50.

It's really weird how few people take advantage of the offer. Me and my wife were alone when we saw Dream House the other day.

Qualification question: would the movie Android count for the challenge?
Old 10-03-11, 01:52 PM

^ here in the DC area it's 6 bucks before noon. I do it all the time, they even discount the ETX and IMAX screen prices - something that Regal doesn't do (assholes)
Old 10-03-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I watched the Rifftrax Live show of House on Haunted Hill last night. It was fun and we watched the slide show they show in the theater, which was a nice for them to have included.

For some reason, I can never remember the movie even though I've seen it multiple times. I always confuse it with some other similar movie whose name I can never remember.
Old 10-03-11, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I watched the Rifftrax Live show of House on Haunted Hill last night. It was fun and we watched the slide show they show in the theater, which was a nice for them to have included.

For some reason, I can never remember the movie even though I've seen it multiple times. I always confuse it with some other similar movie whose name I can never remember.
Robert Wise' "The Haunting" ?
Old 10-03-11, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just found Resident evil 1-4 and Hellraiser 1-6 on Amazon through partner sellers for about $40, so I'm happy. Hellraiser is the barebones movies, but for 6 movies for about $20, not a bad deal.
Old 10-03-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
^ here in the DC area it's 6 bucks before noon. I do it all the time, they even discount the ETX and IMAX screen prices - something that Regal doesn't do (assholes)
i'll be in DC this weekend...any revival/arthouse theaters around there playing anything good saturday night?
Old 10-03-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
Robert Wise' "The Haunting" ?
Yes! That's the one.
Old 10-03-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The slideshows are awesome. I remember one (not sure if it was Haunted Hill) that said something like: "STRANGE BUT TRUE: Al Pacino was once considered one of our finest actors."
Old 10-03-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
The slideshows are awesome. I remember one (not sure if it was Haunted Hill) that said something like: "STRANGE BUT TRUE: Al Pacino was once considered one of our finest actors."
Nope, it wasn't Haunted Hill.

There was one that was something like "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was to trick audiences into thinking Paranormal Activity was a watchable film". There was also a Movie First Drafts of The Sixth Sense with "I see dead people and I see you too because you're dead". I know I'm not remembering it well and I'm butchering it.
Old 10-03-11, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Joe Spinell's creepiness and Caroline Munro's hotness in Maniac, are ridiculously confusing.
Old 10-03-11, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i'll be in DC this weekend...any revival/arthouse theaters around there playing anything good saturday night?
'Human Centipede 2' is playing at midnight over at Landmark E Street.

'Tuck and Dale' might be still playing at the West End Cinema - don't know the schedule yet.
Old 10-03-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Just watched the 2007 version of The Hitcher and thought it was solid. Sad, but I haven't actually seen the original yet. Seeing all the positive reviews for that one, how much of a dissservice did I do to myself by not checking that one out first?
Old 10-03-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I'm slightly annoyed with myself. I just got back from lunch. I brought my laptop and a few movies. I had been preparing myself beforehand for The Golem, though. I sit down to eat, fire up the laptop, open up the case only to discover it empty. Why? Because I had removed it and put it in a separate folder, along with a few other titles, when I went out of town last year during the horror challenge. Yep, I never returned the DVDs to their cases.

Oh, well. I shook that off and was able to watch about 25 minutes or so of Axe, which seems to have become a horror challenge tradition for me (primarily because of its short run time but also for some of the checklist items this year).
Old 10-03-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by clckworang
I'm slightly annoyed with myself. I just got back from lunch. I brought my laptop and a few movies. I had been preparing myself beforehand for The Golem, though. I sit down to eat, fire up the laptop, open up the case only to discover it empty. Why? Because I had removed it and put it in a separate folder, along with a few other titles, when I went out of town last year during the horror challenge. Yep, I never returned the DVDs to their cases.

Oh, well. I shook that off and was able to watch about 25 minutes or so of Axe, which seems to have become a horror challenge tradition for me (primarily because of its short run time but also for some of the checklist items this year).
Depending on which cable provider you have, you may be able to sign up with www.epix.com for free and they have the 1920 version of The Golem for streaming.
Old 10-03-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Had a 12hour shift satuday, and a nother shift plus wrestling sunday so I started off slow. Today and tommorow off will get me back into the game. Some people are on pace for 300+......
Yeah, it starting on a Saturday this year threw me way off too. I managed to sneak in 9 over the weekend, which is about the norm for me in these things. There are definitely some pretty high numbers early on here.
Old 10-03-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Depending on which cable provider you have, you may be able to sign up with www.epix.com for free and they have the 1920 version of The Golem for streaming.
There aren't too many places to eat that even have wireless around here where I work, so that wouldn't help me much. I do have the DVD at home. I just didn't think about looking in the case for the disc; I just figured it was there. I need to remember to grab it when I get home tonight.

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Yeah, it starting on a Saturday this year threw me way off too. I managed to sneak in 9 over the weekend, which is about the norm for me in these things. There are definitely some pretty high numbers early on here.
Speaking for myself, I tend to have big weekends and then taper off during the work week. I'm betting others are the same way.
Old 10-03-11, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Saturday and Sunday were cold and rainy, so I just had marathons both days. I doubt I'll watch many movies this week, though.
Old 10-03-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In honor of today's theme, One Good Ripoff Deserves Another - JawsSploitation, I present....

BEAKS: The Movie

I'm watching on YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6jMoHQDPLo

Cheezy '80s goodness. Guilty pleasure, indeed.

And thanks, Chad for a point in this direction. Never even heard of "JawsSploitation" until this year's challenge. Could very well have missed it in the past, though. But enjoying the heck out of it now!
Old 10-03-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Martyrs on Blu-Ray. Time to further suck the life out of my day
Old 10-03-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to knock a non-qualifying movie out of the way for my personal goal list, but for JawsSploitation I'm going to watch The White Buffalo. Charles Bronson as Wild Bill Hickock? Sold.
Old 10-03-11, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Martyrs on Blu-Ray. Time to further suck the life out of my day
Not to be a Negative Nelly but I really didn't care for that movie. It wasn't the gore or anything but the plot in general. It wasn't bad in a incoherent mess, sort of way but the reasoning behind everything that happened.
Old 10-03-11, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Orca the Killer Whale was better than I expected.

Next up I'm leaning towards The Most Dangeous Game.

...I really didn't care for that movie [Martyrs]. It wasn't the gore or anything but the plot in general. It wasn't bad in a incoherent mess, sort of way but the reasoning behind everything that happened.
I never understood the fanfare Martyrs gots either. The first half was taunt and mysterious but it all crashed in the later segment when the reasoning was revealed.
Old 10-03-11, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Uh oh. You guys are getting me worried. I did a blind buy of Martyrs with my REC Blu-ray set based on all the positive things I had heard about it. I guess I'll find out soon enough which side of the fence I'm on.
Old 10-03-11, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Orca the Killer Whale was better than I expected.
I'm working my way through it but I agree. When the lady was giving the speech in the beginning, I couldn't tell if she was trying to get orcas lynched or not.

I was getting the impression she was trying to get the class to believe they were some sort of genius killing machines that would one day send some message across the globe to start eating us. Hell, I'm not that far into it, so maybe that's what does happen. Then in the next scene she's complaining that the guy is trying to catch them because they're really great and shouldn't be killed or caught. Pick a side lady.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.