Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

A couple of questions - does The Old Dark House count for the comedy/spoof category? Also, do silent films with foreign-language intertitles count for the multiple languages category?
Old 10-10-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Trevor
Thankfully you were! Although The Mighty Peking Man almost made me cry with laughter. In a good way.

No, today's film is the Japanese 2004 film Premonition. Unless you're in Europe or Newfoundland, then it's yesterday's film.
Thank goodness. I knew some of us are insane here but I thought I was going to have to notify the internet authorities on this!

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Just finished watching Pelts. Not many things in Horror make me cringe, but there were a lot of cringe-worthy moments in that film. Surprisingly graphic for what I was expecting.
Now you need to watch "Pelt" which is streaming on Netflix. Low budget, direct to video type movie that doesn't take itself seriously. Some pretty funny lines and scenes if you can get past the low budget and unoriginal plot. You can stream it on Netflix. I watched it a month ago on a whim. By the way, it has nothing to do with Pelts other than having a similar name.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Pe...?trkid=2361637
Old 10-10-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excuse me while I try to catch up:

Welcome back edwardnortonfan; glad Trevor cries tears of joy; love reading marathon ramblings of franchise films, like F13; congrats to Undeadcow; I also don’t really get Bubba Ho-tep; Premonition was a lot of fun...

My wife made me watch all of the Resident Evil films over the last couple days, and my OCD would not allow for me to get anything in between films, so that killed my plans of high numbers this holiday weekend. Oh, well. Still love her.

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Now you need to watch "Pelt" which is streaming on Netflix. Low budget, direct to video type movie that doesn't take itself seriously. Some pretty funny lines and scenes if you can get past the low budget and unoriginal plot. You can stream it on Netflix. I watched it a month ago on a whim. By the way, it has nothing to do with Pelts other than having a similar name.
The first few one star Netflix reviews make this film look, awesome? I might have to check it out.
Old 10-10-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Plan to watch The Golem some time today for today's theme. Never seen it before.
Old 10-10-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Count me as another one who thought Mother of Tears was fun. It wasn't on the level of its predecessors, but at least we finally got something. I've been planning to watch that trilogy this month, too. I find myself keep saying that and looking at the date and wondering if I really will have time to watch everything I planned and complete the optional checklist and the theme days and the daily films. I have a feeling something might have to give.

For those who might be interested, The Town That Dreaded Sundown is available on demand on the MGM channel, at least on DirecTV. It never got a DVD release, so it was nice to have the opportunity to finally see it, having never caught it in the VHS days. I was surprised to find that it was in widescreen, too, and actually looked pretty good. Overall, I thought the movie was a bit of a bore, even though I found many of the scenes with the killer pretty effective. The movie did get a little more bizarre than I was expecting. The trombone?
Old 10-10-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Plan to watch The Golem some time today for today's theme. Never seen it before.
I'm hoping to watch that as well. Right now getting into Don't Torture a Duckling. Classic Fulci. And are there any of his movies that don't feature creepy kids?
Old 10-10-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Otis checklist question

Spoiler:
Rape/Revenge check?
Old 10-10-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
The first few one star Netflix reviews make this film look, awesome? I might have to check it out.
I never pay attention to the reviews on Netflix, especially for horror films. Don't get me wrong, this movie is not a classic but it was one of the better direct to streaming horror movies I have seen on Netflix. It kept me entertained at least.
Old 10-10-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never pay attention to the reviews on Netflix, especially for horror films. Don't get me wrong, this movie is not a classic but it was one of the better direct to streaming horror movies I have seen on Netflix. It kept me entertained at least.
I just thought it was funny when I clicked on the link, but I don't pay any real attention to the reviews, as I hope any true horror fan doesn't.
Old 10-10-11, 12:05 PM
Banned

Five movies yesterday put me just over the one-a-day goal.
Old 10-10-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just thought it was funny when I clicked on the link, but I don't pay any real attention to the reviews, as I hope any true horror fan doesn't.
True. You know, if I paid any real attention to the reviews on Netflix, I likely would never watch a movie there. Some are hilarious to read though.
Old 10-10-11, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my favorite no-budget flicks I found during one of the horror challenges of years past has really low ratings on Netflix as well, but I think it's a lot better than people give it credit for. It's called "Carver." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1001333/ IMDB seems to give it low ratings too, but I recommend it.
Old 10-10-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The last 1-Star film I watched at a friend's house via Netflix, definitely deserved it. Maybe I'll check it out!

Originally Posted by brainee
Just watched Amer! It wasn't really what I was expecting.
Thanks for posting your thoughts! Sounds a lot like what I've been hearing too. If I can find it cheap enough, I'll probably pick it up as a blind buy.

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I liked "Mother of Tears" too.
Yay! I can understand why some Argento fans hate Mother of Tears. Me? I'm thanking my lucky stars it isn't on the same level as Phantom of the Opera (1998)
Old 10-10-11, 12:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
One of my favorite no-budget flicks I found during one of the horror challenges of years past has really low ratings on Netflix as well, but I think it's a lot better than people give it credit for. It's called "Carver." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1001333/ IMDB seems to give it low ratings too, but I recommend it.
Added both to my queue. I'll get my money's worth out of this one last month of Netflix!
Old 10-10-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
A couple of questions - does The Old Dark House count for the comedy/spoof category? Also, do silent films with foreign-language intertitles count for the multiple languages category?
Yes, The Old Dark House would count has comedy. Only if you watch it with the foreign-language intertitles.
Old 10-10-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Just to give some input if Chad's still deciding, in my challenges, if the cards showed multiple languages on the cards, then it would count. That's about as close to subtitles on a foreign language speaking film you can get on a silent film.
Old 10-10-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you want to add a no-budget horror flick (another stuck in the woods movie...I know...it's a theme with me for some reason) - I loved loved loved this Australian movie called Primal.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Pr...9?trkid=438403

I was going to give it another spin this month since I enjoyed it so much about 6 months ago. It was the last film picked for the now defunct ( sob) Horror Film Club and I don't think anyone actually watched it.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 10-10-11 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-10-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Yesterday I started with a kung fu horror movie (HEAVEN AND HELL, 1980) and ended with a samurai horror film (SAMURAI REINCARNATION, 1981). Who knew I had such gems in my collection that qualified for this challenge? And then I followed up this morning with two remakes of SAMURAI REINCARNATION, one animated (NINJA RESURRECTION) and one live-action (REBORN FROM HELL: SAMURAI ARMAGEDDON), neither as good as Kinji Fukasaku’s original. (See my list in the List Thread on page 3, thread #54, for more detailed comments.) SAMURAI REINCARNATION is one of the three best films I’ve seen so far for this challenge and easily the best of my first-time viewings. It’s full of great vignettes of famous figures from Japanese history, all beautifully acted by an all-star cast. Sonny Chiba stars as Jubei Yagyu.

Realizing that I’d watched a Chang Cheh film (HEAVEN AND HELL) and a Fukasaku film in one day for this challenge, I looked at the other directors represented in my list so far and I found six whose films I could (and, on occasion, did) see in neighborhood theaters in the 1960s and ‘70s. In addition to Chang and Fukasaku, they are Mario Bava, Terence Fisher, Roger Corman, and Gordon Douglas. Hong Kong, Japan, Italy, England and Hollywood—all just a few blocks from my childhood home. What a great time it was to be cutting my teeth as a film buff.
Old 10-10-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

R.I.P. Quickster!

Originally Posted by Shack
I love Bubba Ho-Tep too (probably beyond all objectivity) and it's one I can watch over and over. The historical stuff about JFK and Elvis, the dark tone, and Ossie Davis's performance are all terrific. Also, I think Campbell is the best Presley ever.
It's just too bad part 2 never came to fruition. But, I see Paul Giamatti is still collaborating with Don Coscarelli on a new film and it looks bloody fantastic:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/my9Pr-W92SM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/my9Pr-W92SM?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Originally Posted by clckworang
Count me as another one who thought Mother of Tears was fun.
Same here. And compared to his current crop of films it's actually pretty damn good.

True. You know, if I paid any real attention to the reviews on Netflix, I likely would never watch a movie there. Some are hilarious to read though.
What, you don't find those reviews that let you know Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers isn't for children or the ones giving a full write-up after viewing only the first 15 minutes of a film just to tell you 'it sucks' helpful?

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Just to give some input if Chad's still deciding, in my challenges, if the cards showed multiple languages on the cards, then it would count. That's about as close to subtitles on a foreign language speaking film you can get on a silent film.
Definitely.
Old 10-10-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In honor of today's theme:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...evil+vomit+bag
Old 10-10-11, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to add a no-budget horror flick (another stuck in the woods movie...I know...it's a theme with me for some reason) - I loved loved loved this Australian movie called Primal.

I was going to give it another spin this month since I enjoyed it so much about 6 months ago. It was the last film picked for the now defunct ( sob) Horror Film Club and I don't think anyone actually watched it.
That's good to hear. I've been planning on watching that sometime this month.

I was just going to give a recommendation for the film I watched for yesterday's challenge: Dream Home. It's on Netflix Instant and it's a pretty bizarre watch. It's sad, funny, disgusting, violent; just a big mix of tones that I found enjoyable. Some of the kills will leave you stunned in their madness. I also love when you finally are given the reason for the carnage in the film too. Haven't really heard anything about anywhere and figured I'd give it some props.
Old 10-10-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Finished watching Jenifer.

Nicotero & Berger did a great job with the FX, but their facial appliances to Jenifer came off as really goofy.
Old 10-10-11, 01:36 PM

Added to my queue for you Brian.
For a promotional item on a fairly obscure movie 40 years old, there's a crap load of those on ebay. Weird.
Old 10-10-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an idea for a checklist item for next year, Battling Monsters/Creatures/Killers. All the movies where you have the guys fighting each other like the Godzilla films, Freddy vs Jason, all the Asylum snake vs snake/fish vs fish, The Hollywood Strangler Meets the Skid Row Slasher, etc.

Maybe add another section for Rules of Horror Films? The Black Guy Dies, Sex Kills, Going Into The Dark Area Alone. That sort of stuff.

I know it's early to suggest ideas but I won't remember them later on.
Old 10-10-11, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I had an idea for a checklist item for next year, Battling Monsters/Creatures/Killers. All the movies where you have the guys fighting each other like the Godzilla films, Freddy vs Jason, all the Asylum snake vs snake/fish vs fish, The Hollywood Strangler Meets the Skid Row Slasher, etc.

Maybe add another section for Rules of Horror Films? The Black Guy Dies, Sex Kills, Going Into The Dark Area Alone. That sort of stuff.

I know it's early to suggest ideas but I won't remember them later on.
Good ideas MP!

Also, I had another idea to make the checklist less American-centric. Change Academy Award winner to Academy Award or Cannes winner.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.