Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 653 Likes on 475 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by clckworang
Thinking back, I think it came out on Showtime. I could be wrong, though. Regardless, I remember liking the movie and especially Sigourney Weaver's performance in it.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's true. After I made that post I looked and looked but couldn't find *anything* to tie that film to HBO. I stumbled across it in the $3 movies at BL a few years back and purchased it because of Weaver. It turned out to be quite a surprise and quickly became my favorite of all the Snow White films.
Old 10-04-11, 04:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Tucker & Dale vs Evil

Originally Posted by Trevor

Saw that at a festival last year and loved it.
oh which festival did you see it at - I saw it over at the AFI/Silver
Old 10-04-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Ah. Well, I suppose I would counter: why not watch Shadow of the Vampire with Nosferatu? (For that matter, why not a triple feature?)
I think Shadow of the Vampire makes a fantastic double feature with Nosferatu and fully encourage all to watch both together and have a great evening of it. I just don't think Shadow of the Vampire qualifies as a remake of Nosferatu. There are none of the same characters. It's not at all the same story. It's just a riff on Nosferatu. I fully support the idea of the triple feature, though.
Old 10-04-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hatchet is really entertaining. It's got cool cameos, a topless Harmony and really well done make-up and gore effects. Hatchet 2, while not as good as the original, is still worthy of a viewing.

I know extras aren't the type of things you wanna watch now (save that shit for next month) but the behind-the-scenes doc on Hatchet is a great watch if for no other reason than too see how terrified the females in the cast are when Hatchet is psyching himself up in the cemetery. That's absolute genius.
Old 10-04-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I think Shadow of the Vampire makes a fantastic double feature with Nosferatu and fully encourage all to watch both together and have a great evening of it. I just don't think Shadow of the Vampire qualifies as a remake of Nosferatu. There are none of the same characters. It's not at all the same story. It's just a riff on Nosferatu. I fully support the idea of the triple feature, though.
Technically, Shadow of the Vampire has characters who appear in character as characters from Nosferatu, ergo in an existential way, they are the same characters. It's the transitive property of characters. What if SterlingBen puts an asterisk next to it on the checklist ("Watch a film and its remake*")?
Old 10-04-11, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Whoa! Those are some great prizes. Thanks, Synapse!
Agreed! I would lose my shit if I won either Frankenhooker or Maniac Cop

With that said, I just finished watching The Dorm That Dripped Blood. The Blu-Ray is a frikkin' revelation compared to the VHS' I watched growing up. I also forgot how completely mean-spirited the film feels for an 80's Slasher.
Old 10-04-11, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What sweet prizes, Synapse is awesome.

Would love to get any of those.

Can't get back on the horror train for a few more hours, and I can hardly wait. Been trying to play out tonight's viewings in my head all day, so may good 70s movies to choose from.
Old 10-04-11, 05:33 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Just got done a little bit ago watching Dark Night of the Scarecrow for the first time (I couldn't get the movie in time to watch it for last year's subset). I have to say that it was easily as good as everyone said it was. Charles Durning, Claude Earl Jones and Lane Smith are great actors and really helped make the film. I'm very glad that I got it to watch this year.
Old 10-04-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Technically, Shadow of the Vampire has characters who appear in character as characters from Nosferatu, ergo in an existential way, they are the same characters. It's the transitive property of characters. What if SterlingBen puts an asterisk next to it on the checklist ("Watch a film and its remake*")?
The characters in Shadow of the Vampire are always actors pretending to be those characters. That's not the same thing. You could make a similar argument about Gods and Monsters or even something like Ed Wood if you really wanted. The bottom line is that it's a completely different story, even if they do recreate a few scenes.
Old 10-04-11, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I have a shot in hell at making it to 100 this year, so I am hoping for 31. Just got tickets to an advance screening of The Thing early next week. That should be fun. Was planning on doing all 4 Scream movies today, but couldn't wait until watching all 3 to get to the new one that I missed in theaters. A little over an hour into part 4 now, and it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Pretty much as good or bad as the others.
Old 10-04-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Synapse coming through with a grand slam! Very nice!

Going to get into the Torso blu-ray in a minute.
Old 10-04-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

With all these great blu ray prizes, I would seriously consider buying myself a blu ray player if I won one of the Blu Rays.
Old 10-04-11, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Just finished up Ghost Breakers (1940).
Old 10-04-11, 07:23 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Did anyone else watch Piranha last night? For a gore fest, it had some great hilarity in it.
Old 10-04-11, 07:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Listening to a good commentary on Lewton's Cat People, and then will go to bed with today's subset choice, Frogs.
Old 10-04-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Both of those films are campy, cartoon-y Slasher fun. The 2nd film completely outdoes the 1st in the over-the-top gore department.

Yeah, I agree with that. The cartoon gore kind of took my out of the movie. It was funny, though, my friend and I were...let's say "under the influence" and when the killer took both sides of the mouth and ripped it apart, we placed our hands in our mouth and were like, is that even possible lol.

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Hatchet is really entertaining. It's got cool cameos, a topless Harmony and really well done make-up and gore effects. Hatchet 2, while not as good as the original, is still worthy of a viewing.

I know extras aren't the type of things you wanna watch now (save that shit for next month) but the behind-the-scenes doc on Hatchet is a great watch if for no other reason than too see how terrified the females in the cast are when Hatchet is psyching himself up in the cemetery. That's absolute genius.
The topless parts sure do keep interest. Really, you didn't think part 2 was better than 1? Why is that? And yeah, all my horror movies I've watched are stacked in a corner so when October is over, I can run through the extras. love stuff like that. The camoes were the reason why I got the movie as I thought if they did it, it must mean it should be good.

How does one win the prizes given out anyways? Just watch 100 films or actually follow the subsets and what not?
Old 10-04-11, 07:37 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Listening to a good commentary on Lewton's Cat People, and then will go to bed with today's subset choice, Frogs.
Yeah, great commentary, isn't it (and how wonderful to hear from Simone Simon!)? I see the same guy does commentary for The Curse of the Cat People so I'm looking forward to watching that tomorrow.
Old 10-04-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Making my way through the It's Alive trilogy. Man, there's just something about Larry Cohen's films (besides being awesome)... I really love his work.
Old 10-04-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by asianxcore
With that said, I just finished watching The Dorm That Dripped Blood. The Blu-Ray is a frikkin' revelation compared to the VHS' I watched growing up. I also forgot how completely mean-spirited the film feels for an 80's Slasher.
Plus that great downbeat ending! I'm sure I'll rewatch it at some point this month.
Old 10-04-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jacob_b
How does one win the prizes given out anyways? Just watch 100 films or actually follow the subsets and what not?
It's by random drawing. I believe you have a prize entry just for participating. You will also get one entry each if you (1) reach 100 (2) watch all the daily films (3) watch a movie for each of the theme days. There will also be some trivia questions. In addition, at the end of the challenge, we have the chance to vote for most impressive list. If I forgot anything, I'm sure someone else will fill in the blanks.
Old 10-04-11, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b

It's by random drawing. I believe you have a prize entry just for participating. You will also get one entry each if you (1) reach 100 (2) watch all the daily films (3) watch a movie for each of the theme days. There will also be some trivia questions. In addition, at the end of the challenge, we have the chance to vote for most impressive list. If I forgot anything, I'm sure someone else will fill in the blanks.
Sounds like you covered it all, though I think there are more prizes this year than ever before, at least it seems that way with Synapse's contribution so I'm sure each category will have a few winners.

If you're a fan of gialli do yourself a favor and pick up the Torso blu ray. It is a great movie but I've never enjoyed it more than this time in HD.
Old 10-04-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
If you're a fan of gialli do yourself a favor and pick up the Torso blu ray. It is a great movie but I've never enjoyed it more than this time in HD.
Literally just ordered it after seeing it in my quick picks. And all these films being released on Blu-ray are making me wanna re-visit the classics, which makes it difficult to accomplish my goal of going for mostly first time views. Not that that's a bad thing.
Old 10-04-11, 08:19 PM
Banned

One ahead of one-a-day so far. At this pace, there's no way I'll make my personal goal of 50 not to mention the challenge's goal of 100 watched in 31 days.
Old 10-04-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Making my way through the It's Alive trilogy. Man, there's just something about Larry Cohen's films (besides being awesome)... I really love his work.
i heard parts 2 and 3 are kind of "meh" - are they worth my time?
Old 10-04-11, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't watched 3 yet, but 2 was on par with the first. And it's got Frederic Forrest. I consider that a win. Plus, Baker is back for FX duties and there's a solid score by Herrmann.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.