Reload this Page >

Cloudy spots on DVD's?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Cloudy spots on DVD's?

Old 09-24-11, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cloudy spots on DVD's?

I bought S1 and S2 of Community from Best Buy earlier today and upon opening them and inspecting the discs, I noticed several small cloudy/milky spots on the discs. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks.
Old 09-24-11, 03:46 PM
Banned

Re: Cloudy spots on DVD's?

Don't know what it is but I too have noticed this on certain DVD's. Does not seem to affect playback though.
Old 09-24-11, 05:24 PM
Banned

Yeah, I've seen this too, sometimes. I don't recall that it's ever stopped a dvd from playing. The only thing that seems to do that are cracks....which can sometimes be a bit weird. I've had dvds with tiny scratches that wouldn't play, while others also with tiny scratches won't play.
Old 09-24-11, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

I've seen it on some disks with a few that appear to be almost covered. While I've never had problems playing such disks I've found a soft (preferably microfibre) cloth and rubbing alcohol will remove this residue with no damage to the disk.
Old 09-25-11, 12:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I've seen it on some disks with a few that appear to be almost covered. While I've never had problems playing such disks I've found a soft (preferably microfibre) cloth and rubbing alcohol will remove this residue with no damage to the disk.
Good to know...thanks for the tip!
Old 09-26-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I recently bought the Joan Crawford Collection from a seller on the Amazon marketplace. Four of the five discs were totally covered with the cloudy residue described here. I'm positive the set was still factory sealed when I opened it. I used BobO'Link's method and most of the spots came off, apart from a faint ring around the edge of a couple of the discs. After several attempts, those marks just would not wipe off.

I'm almost positive these spots/residue are the result of some kind of chemical "fuming off" with the plastic cases, causing build-up on the surface of the disc. It's not a common occurrence, but there was a big thread about it on another forum. Most people encountered the problem with Paramount TV releases in the thin clear plastic cases made by Scanavo. I've also had this happen with a few of the older WB catalog titles I've picked up at Big Lots.

Last edited by joe_b; 09-26-11 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I work for a company that gets DVDs straight from the replication plants and sometimes the discs have swirls and cloudy spots.

It never seems to affect the play, though.
Old 09-26-11, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

digi-herpes
Old 09-27-11, 10:33 AM
Banned

Here's my story:
I had a DVD that I bought used for 50 cents, scratched pretty bad, took it to a used game/movie store to have cleaned and it came out with swirl & cloudy spots. The scratches were gone but the disc would froze up more in my player than it did originally, so I took some rubbing alcohol and a soft microfiber cloth and 'buffed' the disc by hand...removed all spots and now the disc plays fine, about 5 years later.

As for the OP, I would take the sets back to the store regardless if the playback is affected.
Brand new discs that look like refurbished used discs are UNACCEPTABLE!