DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2011 The Criterion Collection - Challenge #3 Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-11, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2011 The Criterion Collection - Challenge #3 Discussion Thread

Draft of the checklist. Spoilered for length:

Spoiler:
The checklist is completely optional. It is just a "fun" inclusion to give one a sense of accomplishment, to help one diversify viewing, or to use as a guide on what to watch next.

Watch one film from every decade covered by Criterion.
--- 1920 - (insert film title here)
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -

Watch films in at least five languages.
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Fourth language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Fifth language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch films from five different directors in Criterion’s top 11 (Kurosawa, Bergman, Ozu, Malle, Fellini, Ivory, Renoir, Powell, Godard, Truffaut, Rossellini)
--- First Director, (insert title)
--- Second Director, (insert title)
--- Third Director, (insert title)
--- Fourth Director, (insert title)
--- Fifth Director, (insert title)

Watch a film from five different “themes” on Criterion’s website (http://www.criterion.com/explore/themes)

--- First Theme name, (insert title)
--- Second Theme name, (insert title)
--- Third Theme name, (insert title)
--- Fourth Theme name, (insert title)
--- Fifth Theme name, (insert title)

Watch something from spine number range:
--- 001-050 -
--- 051-100 -
--- 101-150 -
--- 151-200 -
--- 201-250 -
--- 251-300 -
--- 301-350 -
--- 351-400 -
--- 401-450 -
--- 451-500 -
--- 500-550 –
--- 551-600 -
--- an Eclipse title -
--- a laser disc only Criterion from this list -

--- Watch a film which won an Academy Award -
--- Watch a film with commentary –
--- Read an Essay -
--- Watch a short -
--- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. -
--- Watch an entire Criterion Collector's Set/Eclipse Box Set -

(One film could fill multiple items. Example: Silence of the Lambs would qualify for a decade, language, spine number range, genre, Academy Award, and possibly more.)

(Change "---" to "-X-" or some similar mark when you have completed that line item.)

I thought it might be helpful to put the link in the checklist for those new to the site and to the challenge. Same for directors, I thought it was good to have them right there in the checklist.

One thing I have been thinking about is spine numbers. Now that we are still expanding out (towards #600). Should we expand the range to 60 or 75? As it stands now, you have at least 14 titles to watch (including Eclipse and LD).
Old 08-19-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant

Spoiler:
The checklist is completely optional. It is just a "fun" inclusion to give one a sense of accomplishment, to help one diversify viewing, or to use as a guide on what to watch next.

--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -

Watch films from five different directors in Criterion’s top 11 (Kurosawa, Bergman, Ozu, Malle, Fellini, Ivory, Renoir, Powell, Godard, Truffaut, Rossellini)

Watch a film from five different “themes” on Criterion’s website (http://www.criterion.com/explore/themes)

--- 001-050 -
--- 051-100 -
--- 101-150 -
--- 151-200 -
--- 201-250 -
--- 251-300 -
--- 301-350 -
--- 351-400 -
--- 401-450 -
--- 451-500 -
--- 500-550 –
--- 551-600 -
--- an Eclipse title -

--- Read an Essay -
--- Watch a short -

(One film could fill multiple items. Example: Silence of the Lambs would qualify for a decade, language, spine number range, genre, Academy Award, and possibly more.)

(Change "---" to "-X-" or some similar mark when you have completed that line item.)

I thought it might be helpful to put the link in the checklist for those new to the site and to the challenge. Same for directors, I thought it was good to have them right there in the checklist.

One thing I have been thinking about is spine numbers. Now that we are still expanding out (towards #600). Should we expand the range to 60 or 75? As it stands now, you have at least 14 titles to watch (including Eclipse and LD).
Good call on Themes! I think that's a more appropriate sub-category than genres for this specific challenge. As for spine numbers, maybe make the "in progress" range of 50 optional.
Old 08-19-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

The themes are great. Just the pix give me ideas of stuff I'd like to watch. Rififi (heist films) has been on my list for a long time.
Old 08-20-11, 07:28 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Spoiler:

--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -

--- 001-050 -
--- 051-100 -
--- 101-150 -
--- 151-200 -
--- 201-250 -
--- 251-300 -
--- 301-350 -
--- 351-400 -
--- 401-450 -
--- 451-500 -
--- 500-550 –
--- 551-600 -
--- an Eclipse title -

--- Read an Essay -
--- Watch a short -

Great job CG!

I think the 50 range is good for now, demanding 20 or even 30 titles to complete an optional and challenging checklist is fine imo. We want it easy, but not too easy.

Maybe add the 2010 decade but make it optional since there are only two titles so far. Possibly make the 1920s optional as well.

How about combining watching an LD title with a Hulu title? Sort of a combined "watch a Criterion title not released on DVD by Criterion".

Also, to either be combined with Eclipse or LD or a separate optional category, we could have "non-numbered Criterions". There are a few short films and the Janus stuff for example, Hulu stuff could be in this as well.
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
As for spine numbers, maybe make the "in progress" range of 50 optional.
Good call, as long as it's ~20 and less. If it's 40 or so, for example, seems silly to give people a pass. So some magic number in the 15-35 range?
Originally Posted by davidh777
The themes are great. Just the pix give me ideas of stuff I'd like to watch. Rififi (heist films) has been on my list for a long time.
They really are pretty cool. Never looked at them before just seconds ago, but they're going to be a lot of fun. Perhaps someone will marathon through an entire theme?

Rififi was fantastic iirc, need to watch it again. Need to watch them all again actually, many for the first time.....
Old 08-20-11, 07:35 AM

I've always felt like all the Challenge checklists should have several helpful links built into them.

Every category could be linkified actually; either to sorted pages of Criterion's list, to forum posts where we've done the labor, or to other site links.

We've done these in a few Challenges in the past for things like obscure ratings and specific lists, but this helpfulness can be expanded greatly for each Challenge checklist.
Old 08-20-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So much to watch. Haven't cracked my Modern Times BD among others. I agree Criterion has a homework-y feel to it but I'm sure I'll enjoy once the movie is rolling.
Old 08-20-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Every category could be linkified actually...
"Linkified?" I was going to tease, but then I re-read your post with George W. Bush narrating it and it was actually kind of fun. Warning: Once you start speaking Dubya, stopification is...is...it's not easy.

So much to watch. Haven't cracked my Modern Times BD among others. I agree Criterion has a homework-y feel to it but I'm sure I'll enjoy once the movie is rolling.
I only own three Criterion releases, and I explored two of them in their entirety last year. Earlier this year, I scored 8 1/2 on Blu-ray at Half Price Books and it's been sitting on my shelf waiting for September. I streamed the movie in February for the Academy Awards Challenge and liked it. When I came across the Blu-ray for, like, $12.00 I had to have it.

I'm pretty irked about the Netflix streaming situation, because I really relied on it last year for this challenge and enjoyed it quite a lot. Now that I'm eager to repeat, I don't have that option! I feel like the junkie who just found out his dealer's in jail.
Old 08-20-11, 10:21 AM

"Linkified?" I was going to tease, but then I re-read your post with George W. Bush narrating it and it was actually kind of fun. Warning: Once you start speaking Dubya, stopification is...is...it's not easy.
I actually thought it was a real word. I try to have somewhat of a grasp on proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar; but mostly I'm just too lazy to verify things and just type away. Besides, making fun mistakes and being creative makes me feel "edgy" and "hip".
I'm pretty irked about the Netflix streaming situation, because I really relied on it last year for this challenge and enjoyed it quite a lot. Now that I'm eager to repeat, I don't have that option! I feel like the junkie who just found out his dealer's in jail.
I'll paypal you $8 for your first month of Hulu Plus, but if you get hooked after that I'm not feeling guilty.
Old 08-20-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually thought it was a real word. I try to have somewhat of a grasp on proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar; but mostly I'm just too lazy to verify things and just type away. Besides, making fun mistakes and being creative makes me feel "edgy" and "hip".
Sadly, "verification" is a word. Otherwise, I totally would have used it in an edgy and hip retortification.

I'll paypal you $8 for your first month of Hulu Plus, but if you get hooked after that I'm not feeling guilty.
I think there's a free trial offer of some kind. I might scope it out, but as I and david777 have already noted in this thread, not being able to easily stream directly to the TV is a major "minus." Now, if they roll out a Wii app, I might give it a second thought. Still, that would put us up to $16 a month for the two services and we already dropped DVD rental from our Netflix plan to avoid that price range. If Hulu's gonna charge just as much for Netflix, they're gonna have to convince me they're worth just as much. Right now, I don't feel they are--though this is strictly how I feel. Obviously, others may have a set-up that does allow for satisfactorily streaming Hulu content to an entertainment system and others may be more enamored by their library.
Old 08-20-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill admit most of my CC collection is based off horror releases but i figured this would get me ready for october. im gonna try and get thru

Cronos
House
Antichrist
Repulsion
The Black moon
Old 08-20-11, 10:49 AM

Sadly, "verification" is a word. Otherwise, I totally would have used it in an edgy and hip retortification.

I think there's a free trial offer of some kind. I might scope it out, but as I and david777 have already noted in this thread, not being able to easily stream directly to the TV is a major "minus." Now, if they roll out a Wii app, I might give it a second thought. Still, that would put us up to $16 a month for the two services and we already dropped DVD rental from our Netflix plan to avoid that price range. If Hulu's gonna charge just as much for Netflix, they're gonna have to convince me they're worth just as much. Right now, I don't feel they are--though this is strictly how I feel. Obviously, others may have a set-up that does allow for satisfactorily streaming Hulu content to an entertainment system and others may be more enamored by their library.
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't mind watching things on my laptop, iPhone, or even a 13" B&W. This is especially true with films where the story is central, and snazzified HD and subwoofer action doesn't mean much.
Old 08-20-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't mind watching things on my laptop, iPhone, or even a 13" B&W. This is especially true with films where the story is central, and snazzified HD and subwoofer action doesn't mean much.
I watched a lot of stuff on my phone over vacation. TV is really the only way I watch with others, though, unless desperate then it's laptop.

I give much credit to Netflix for being available on so many devices. However, I look at my current queue and still only have a small fraction of choices available for streaming. Streaming is great for the animation challenge, but for new releases and the weird stuff I like to watch, I can't imagine I'll end up going streaming-only, even though I know Netflix really wants me to.
Old 08-20-11, 02:01 PM

I think the 50 range is good for now, demanding 20 or even 30 titles to complete an optional and challenging checklist is fine imo. We want it easy, but not too easy.
After further contemplation, you're right. 50 still works just fine.

Maybe add the 2010 decade but make it optional since there are only two titles so far. Possibly make the 1920s optional as well.
I think 1920s is right on the fence. There are more titles than what is listed on Criterion's website. Hulu shows 4 extra films (without a spine number), 3 Chaplin's and a Dreyer. Additionally, The Last Laugh (Murnau) and Blackmail (Hitchcock) were LD releases from the 1920s. So, that puts the total around 18 titles from the 1920s.

I think someone could always add the two 2010 films as extra credit at the end of their decades list.

How about combining watching an LD title with a Hulu title? Sort of a combined "watch a Criterion title not released on DVD by Criterion".
I like it. I'll change the wording in that check.

They really are pretty cool. Never looked at them before just seconds ago, but they're going to be a lot of fun. Perhaps someone will marathon through an entire theme?
There's only 8 in the Poetic Realism category. Someone could probably work their way through that one.

I've always felt like all the Challenge checklists should have several helpful links built into them.
When I make the List Thread, I'll put links to all of the major stuff for people. I've always liked being able to click straight through (see Lizard's Amazon Blu-ray Thread).
Old 08-20-11, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They have a 1 month trial if you connect with facebook.

I don't have any interest in signing up for it. Netflix carries older seasons, has new episodes within a day or two, like Hulu but I don't get commercials like Hulu still puts in. Streaming to TV isn't an issue. I have Tivo, Roku and game systems that support it. I signed up for the trial just now but unless something magical happens, I'll just cancel before they start charging.
Old 08-20-11, 02:03 PM

I still haven't cracked some open from before last year's challenge, hopefully, I work my way through them this year. I watched Modern Times on broadcast TV a few months back; it's amazing how well that, and most of Chaplin's, films hold up over time.
Old 08-21-11, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
They have a 1 month trial if you connect with facebook.
It's good to know this. I'll add this info to the main post in the List Thread (when I put it up).
Old 08-21-11, 07:01 AM

It's good to know this. I'll add this info to the main post in the List Thread (when I put it up).
A little (more) OCD on my part, but I always feel like the first post(s) of a Challenge discussion thread should have all the important details spelled out. Once the checklist and everything is finalized, perhaps you can put it all in a current post, and then MinLShaw can cut&paste it into post #1. Or you can ask a mod to give you post #1, which may or may not be possible. A new thread and thread merging could work as well.
Old 08-21-11, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A little (more) OCD on my part, but I always feel like the first post(s) of a Challenge discussion thread should have all the important details spelled out. Once the checklist and everything is finalized, perhaps you can put it all in a current post, and then MinLShaw can cut&paste it into post #1. Or you can ask a mod to give you post #1, which may or may not be possible. A new thread and thread merging could work as well.
Nah, I don't mind. Just lemme know what to cut & paste.
Old 08-21-11, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I'd at least put the trial up sooner since the basic one is only 2 weeks and I don't know when this current promotion's going to end.
Old 08-21-11, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Yeah, I'd at least put the trial up sooner since the basic one is only 2 weeks and I don't know when this current promotion's going to end.
Thanks for the reminder. I just signed up.
Old 08-21-11, 12:55 PM

I like it. It looks like there are 11 directors with 11 or more films in the collection (Truffaut and Rossellini are tied with 11). It breaks down like this:

Akira Kurosawa - 36
Ingmar Bergman - 26
Yasujiro Ozu - 22
Louis Malle - 18
Federico Fellini - 13
James Ivory - 13
Jean Renoir - 13
Michael Powell - 13
Jean-Luc Godard - 12
François Truffaut - 11
Roberto Rossellini - 11

11 doesn't have the same ring as ten, but it is 11 directors with 11 or more, which has a nice ring to it.
To make it a nice, clean 10, I'd drop Ivory. He's actually only got one film in the "collection." The other 12 were released as a part of the "Merchant Ivory Collection" line.
Old 08-22-11, 01:50 PM

30 Days of Criterion
September 1st - September 30th, 2011

Check out the full list of Criterion and Eclipse DVD and BD releases here. Criterion's website allows for sorting by Brand, Format, Director, Country, Decade, and Features. This will allow easy searching for working through needed checklist items.

There are very few titles currently streaming on Netflix. Criterion is in the process of streaming exclusively to Hulu Plus. You still can find newer titles and OOP and LD Criterion titles streaming.

There are many Criterion titles available on Hulu Plus. This year we've decided to count any title available on Criterion's Hulu Plus site. These include titles that Criterion has the rights to, but has yet to release on DVD/BD. Hulu Plus is offering a number of free 1-month trials (one through Facebook and one using a .edu e-mail address are two commonly used ones). They also offer their standard 1-week free trial.

Criterion titles occasionally appear on broadcast television. Keep an eye on this discussion thread for upcoming broadcasts.

Wikipedia list of Criterion Laserdisc releases.

For inspiration on how to format your own list check out the 2009 List Thread and the 2010 List Thread.

THE "RULES"

This is not your father's Challenge. Think of this as an un-Challenge. The only goal is to watch Criterion content and share your experience with the rest of us. There is no specific number goal, no winners, no losers, no prizes.

This is not about bulk watching. Just watch however much you would normally watch in a month, but concentrate it on Criterion content as much as you can/want. In fact, bulk watching is discouraged, as that will limit your time for discussion and for immersing yourself in a film. Fully exploring a film is highly encouraged. Instead of racing through films and watching three or more in one day, why not fully experience each Criterion disc? Watch the film a second time with the audio commentary. Watch all of the special features on the disc. Read the insert booklet. Go on Criterion's website and read some of the essays for that film.

There will be a separate thread to include your lists as linked above. Be creative and personalize it however you wish - use one post for the whole month, daily posts, weekly posts, give reviews, provide IMDB links, add YouTube videos, add images, etc. It's recommended that you provide a link to your list(s) in your signature for easy access.

What qualifies? Any film, short, video or DVD supplemental feature that has been released by Criterion qualifies. The film does not have to watched on an actual Criterion disc. You may watch the film on any format imaginable, provided that it is the same film that Criterion has released. For example, the film Silence of the Lambs was released by Criterion on DVD/BD. But you don't have to watch the movie on that particular DVD/BD. You can watch it on VHS, on broadcast TV, on the internet, UMD, iTunes, or any of the various DVD/BD releases SOTL has had. Additionally, any title released by Criterion exclusively on streaming is eligible for this challenge.

Discussion and debate on how to change the Challenge is encouraged. We may not make changes in this current year, but there's always next year.

A daily journal sort of entry is recommended for your list. Since counting is not required or "scored" in any way, you are free to be as creative as you wish in how you list items. Bolding of your item titles is encouraged, if only to make them stand out to allow others to quickly see if they have seen the same items and wish to comment. Give reviews. Even if it's just a mini-review, a simple /, or a one word description.

In the inaugural challenge, Fist of Doom suggested a daily summary. Many did this; some did not. Now that we have examples from the previous years, it may be best to look at what has been done during 2009 for inspiration.

Optional Checklist

--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -

Watch films from five different directors in Criterion’s top 11 (Kurosawa, Bergman, Ozu, Malle, Fellini, Renoir, Powell, Godard, Truffaut, Rossellini)

Watch a film from five different “themes” on Criterion’s website

--- 001-050 -
--- 051-100 -
--- 101-150 -
--- 151-200 -
--- 201-250 -
--- 251-300 -
--- 301-350 -
--- 351-400 -
--- 401-450 -
--- 451-500 -
--- 500-550 –
--- 551-600 -
--- an Eclipse title -
--- Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion -

--- Read an Essay -
--- Watch a short -

(One film could fill multiple items. Example: Fanny & Alexander would qualify for a decade, language, spine number range, theme (Blue Christmases), Academy Award, and possibly more.)

The challenge officially begins September 1, 2011 at midnight of whatever time zone you are in at the time, and ends on September 30th, 2011 at 23:59:59 in whatever time zone you're in at that moment. Also, feel free to time your final Criterion film to coincide with the start of the Horror Challenge.
Old 08-22-11, 01:51 PM

MinLShaw, can you make the above post the #1 post?

(I "linkified" a bunch of stuff)

I'll create a List Thread later this evening so that we can all get started with formatting our lists.
Old 08-22-11, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by excom101
To make it a nice, clean 10, I'd drop Ivory. He's actually only got one film in the "collection." The other 12 were released as a part of the "Merchant Ivory Collection" line.
Good idea. Done.
Old 08-22-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

When I looked up "themes" in the link provided, I went to the "Yakuza" section and was surprised that some of the Yakuza films in my collection that came from Home Vision are not listed there, e.g. the five-film "Yakuza Papers" series. Yet PALE FLOWER, also from Home Vision, is there. And in the "Samurai" theme section, none of my Home Vision Zatoichi films are listed.

Why the discrepancy? Are "Yakuza Papers" and the Zatoicihi series out of print already?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.