Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Slipcovers: What's the interest all about?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see people all the time asking for, and asking to trade for BR slipcovers. If you own the movie, why don't you have the slipcover? ...and, if you don't have the slipcover, is it that big of a deal? I have a bunch of slips laying around, I keep them off because it just seems like a pain in the ass taking it off every time I want to watch a movie.

Not judging, just curious.

~S2K
Old 07-28-11, 07:01 PM

Re: Slipcovers: What's the interest all about?

I throw mine out the instant I get home. I find these a complete waste of time. in 99.99% of the time, the slips had the exact same cover art as the normal disc cover art.

Then again, I file all my dvd in CD organizer cases, and file the cover art in a binder that I stash in a closet only in case I want to sell the DVD in the future, so I am probably not the best candidate to appreciate these things.
Old 07-28-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't throw mine out but I don't care if I get one or not. They sit in the shelf with the movie, unseen most of the time. Same deal with steelcases. Just don't care.

If I do get one, I don't want the stickers to mess it up when I take them off. I like my possessions to not be messed up, for the most part.
Old 07-28-11, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been selling mine. Keep mine in binders.
Old 07-28-11, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I don't throw mine out but I don't care if I get one or not. They sit in the shelf with the movie, unseen most of the time. Same deal with steelcases. Just don't care.

If I do get one, I don't want the stickers to mess it up when I take them off. I like my possessions to not be messed up, for the most part.
Yeah I gotta agree here-
Old 07-28-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unless it has different cover art or some other feature, I toss 'em as soon as I get home. I just don't see the need for redundant packaging

Also, if I don't switch out the case, I snap those little locking clips off immediately, too. Like slipcovers, they are an anti-theft device that does little to stop theft and a lot to annoy consumers.
Old 07-28-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I usually toss all my slipcovers too.
Old 07-28-11, 11:43 PM

I just threw all of mine out recently
Old 07-28-11, 11:49 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

People collect slip covers no matter how shitty the movie is, just look on the blu-ray.com forum, I find it to be insane someone would pay $20 for a slip cover, of course to each their own, but come on.

I also love when DVDs/blu-rays use the recyclable case but then put a slip cover over it, eco friendly, ya know.
Old 07-29-11, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by bse
I also love when DVDs/blu-rays use the recyclable case but then put a slip cover over it, eco friendly, ya know.
Hehe, I interpret that as "tart up the appearance" (maybe the slipcover implies extra value?) but then go cheap everywhere else: eco box, no booklet, no picture disk, etc., because the buyer won't realize what's inside (or what's not inside) until after the purchase.
Old 07-29-11, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I myself think slipcovers stand out on a retail shelf a little, and I do like having them. However, I would not (1) make a buying decision based on a slipcover, (2) pay anything extra for a slipcover, or (3) return a purchase because of a lack of slipcover.
Old 07-29-11, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always took mine off and kept them in a drawer for whatever reason. Then I discovered Blu-ray.com and all the "collectors" of slipcovers so I ended up selling them and making a little cash off them. Apparently some I had were very rare and worth some cash to these people.
Old 07-29-11, 06:44 AM

I file all my discs in a DJ case and toss the packaging, so color me confused as to what the big deal is over some cardboard.
Old 07-29-11, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I have 13 Blu-rays. I don't see anything that could remotely be called a "slipcover" on any of them. So what's a slipcover?
Old 07-29-11, 07:16 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I like slipcovers, wish more of my DVDs had them. I have the (perhaps misguided) perception that they add value to the DVD, at least in my eyes they do. Makes them feel like they're worth more, at least to me (looks pretty good in my bookcase too). However, even though I wish that more of my DVDs would have them, I'd never pay extra for a slipcover. I've already paid what I wanted to pay for the DVD (sometimes even a little more than what I really wanted to pay although I usually hate myself for doing it), I'll not spend more for an additional slipcover. -kd5-
Old 07-29-11, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I have 13 Blu-rays. I don't see anything that could remotely be called a "slipcover" on any of them. So what's a slipcover?
You are a DVDTalk member with over 2,990 posts but you have no idea what a slipcover is?

Anyways I like having the slipcase. I think it makes the spines look nicer when lined up.
You could make the same question to front cover artwork as you could say you don't look at the cover all day?
But I suppose that depends if your TV or player is broke and you look at the cover thinking about your favourite scenes!
Old 07-29-11, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The thing on the left.

Old 07-29-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
I see people all the time asking for, and asking to trade for BR slipcovers. If you own the movie, why don't you have the slipcover?

A lot of the time, slipcovers are only offered for the first shipments. I can tell you that in my case, I have all 3 Narnia movies, but I am missing the cover for one of them (the first one I think) because I didn't buy it quick enough. And as crazy as it sounds, it bothers me.
Old 07-29-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Originally Posted by Maxflier
A lot of the time, slipcovers are only offered for the first shipments. I can tell you that in my case, I have all 3 Narnia movies, but I am missing the cover for one of them (the first one I think) because I didn't buy it quick enough. And as crazy as it sounds, it bothers me.
Now that's the kind of answer I was looking for. I didn't know that a lot were only on first prints, and I can (almost) understand a collector wanting a slip for that reason...thanks, makes a bit more sense now.
Old 07-29-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I consider myself as much a collector of films as a fan of films, and I like to own the complete package when I buy a movie. I buy A LOT of movies on the secondary market for very cheap, or I wait until they drop in price, and by that time, many of them no longer come with their slipcovers, because they are very often only a part of the first pressing. Some studios (like Disney) don't seem to ever stop pressing them except in certain situations like the Narnia films, while for other studios, they disappear quickly. The film "Moon," for instance, has a very nice Blu-ray slipcover, and it was hard to find on the very first day. A lot of stores didn't even get the movie, and of those that did, only some of them got even one or two slipcovers. So if you didn't buy the movie in the first day, it was very hard to get that slipcover.

I just like owning the complete package, and although I have found myself "collecting" slipcovers lately, I would never buy a film just because it has a slipcover, and I would never pay the ridiculous prices that some collectors pay for slipcovers. To this point, I am proud to say that I have never paid more than $5 shipped for a slipcover (and there are very few I have even paid that much for) and I have gotten my hands on some very rare ones.

With all of this said, I have a list of slipcovers I'm looking for in the Exchange Forum, so if anybody reading this thread doesn't care for slipcovers, please look at my list and send me a message if you have any.
Old 07-29-11, 08:56 PM

Wow, I guess I should check out the Exchange Forum because I am quite literally throwing them into the garbage along with the cases.
Old 07-29-11, 09:07 PM
Suspended

I like them. But I would never pay just for a cover. Ive noticed lately some stores will have a release that has some and some not, and another store will not have any. If all the same price I will buy one with the slipcover, if a store has it cheaper and no cover I will buy that one.
Old 07-29-11, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I throw mine out sometimes. With WB Blu-Rays I usually throw them out since the slip cover advertises the Digital Copy but the actual cover doesn't, since I usually throw those discs away after I use them. I only keep them if I like them, like the Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) slip cover is kind of cool with the hologram that turns into a slash on the cover. I like that so I kept it, but I threw away the Red Riding Hood slip because I didn't like the other cover, but I thought the cover of her kneeling down and looking up was really cool!
Old 07-30-11, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
The thing on the left.

I get it now. Thanks. Slipcovers are those cardboard sleeves the DVD cases sometimes come in and they have the same artwork as the DVD cases. None of my Blu-rays came with a slipcover and only a very few of my R1 DVDs have, mainly the Disney Miyazaki releases. A lot of R3 Hong Kong DVDs come with them, like the first waves of Celestial's Shaw Bros. releases.

Never gave them much thought--until now.
Old 08-02-11, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

When I started buying DVD's back in 2005 I wanted the slipcovers. Shortly after it started to get out of hand and I just said forget it, there are just too many to worry about. As of now I store my movies in those hanging file cases from Meritline and the art in binders because I require the space. I also had to have a stack of replacement cases on hand. Used movies always required them and even new ones need cases depending on what was used. That gives an idea of how little I care about slipcovers these days.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.