Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Air bubbles in center hub?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air bubbles in center hub?

Hey all. I bought a new dvd today, and there are air bubbles of all different shapes and sizes in the center hub. The hub feels firmly bonded as well. Will this eventually lead to some sort of deterioration though? I usually have bad luck when it comes to getting things with defects for whatever reason. I saw a post on here from about 5 years ago, saying that it isn't a cause for worry, but do any of you guys have discs that you bought years ago with air bubbles in the center that still work? Thanks for any info.
Old 06-15-11, 07:57 PM

Re: Air bubbles in center hub?

Sorry for posting twice (I can't edit my post), but is it possible that the bubbles inside the hub are extra glue, and not air?
Old 06-15-11, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Lots of DVDs I own are like that to varying degrees and I haven't noticed any problem in any of them in over a decade of buying them.

I don't think the DVD hub needs to be airtight, only the data area. Since DVDs are manufactured by gluing (technically, I think they're cured) two platters together, it's probably not unusual for air/glue bubbles to form in the center ring.

I'm not sure if the hub area (the hole in the middle) is even fully sealed. It looks like the actual seal is about one centimeter in, right before the data area starts.

At any rate, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 06-15-11, 10:10 PM

Thats good to know. The disc I bought was an xbox 360 game (gotta love their quality control), so that's kinda the reason I was concerned. 65 dollars is alot of money for something that might just stop working in the near future. I tried splitting apart another older dvd I had with the bubbles, and it seemed like it was glue, and not air, for what its worth. Like you said, its probably not a cause for concern in the long run... I just like my things flawless I guess :x