DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What's the reason for not switching to Blu?

Old 06-08-11, 11:52 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

What's the reason for not switching to Blu?

Perhaps discussed, but just curious as to what some reasons are. Monetary, just don't feel necessary or worth it, etc...
Old 06-08-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: What's the reason for not switching to Blu?

For me, I think it's pretty evident that streaming and cloud services will become the standard in the very near future. I've essentially lost most of my interest in owning physical media, HD or not.
Old 06-08-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
For me, I think it's pretty evident that streaming and cloud services will become the standard in the very near future. I've essentially lost most of my interest in owning physical media, HD or not.
The music and entertainment companies won't be happy until we continuously pay for access to content. Just building a library or upgrading a favorite film isn't enough anymore, you need to get plugged into a cloud.

I still like physical content, but I'm an old fart.

I can understand not switching to Blu. If you're happy with a format, why switch? And, most folks still don't have a player, so it's a pain if you want to share a movie with someone.

I currently buy more Blu than DVD, but I'm thinking of slowing down and getting more DVDs. I personally love the releases that include both in the same package.
Old 06-08-11, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have an HD TV, so at this point, I really don't feel that going Blu is necessary for me.
Old 06-08-11, 02:11 PM

Frankly, I just can't be bothered. I already have DVD players all over the house and they're good enough for our eyes. Additionally, I pretty much just buy catalog titles, not much new stuff. As a result, every single Blu that I might be interested in is a double dip. If I want any actual new-to-disc material, that's all coming out on DVD.
Old 06-08-11, 02:19 PM
Banned

Just because you don't have an HDtv doesn't mean you shouldn't get blu-ray. Even on a standard def tv, you can tell the difference. Maybe not as much as on an HD screen, but you can still tell.
Old 06-08-11, 03:50 PM
Banned

Too large a collection and I'm more than pleased how my SD DVD's look on my plasma TV. I see absolutely no reason to convert to Blu-
Old 06-08-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Going Blu means giving up "ownership" of your player and Blu media to an outside source that's capable and probably willing to brick your player or turn your disc (on that player at least) into a coaster. You're playing Russian roulette with your player every time it downloads a firmware update or disc keys or whatever. Just because they haven't screwed you yet, doesn't mean they won't in the future. Remember you're not a customer, you're a revenue stream (and if you're not you should be).
Old 06-08-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
For me, I think it's pretty evident that streaming and cloud services will become the standard in the very near future.
How well will that work out considering ISPs are putting caps on internet usage or for those poor suckers living in Australia, with the insanely low caps that are in the MBs and not in the GBs?
Old 06-08-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Just because you don't have an HDtv doesn't mean you shouldn't get blu-ray. Even on a standard def tv, you can tell the difference. Maybe not as much as on an HD screen, but you can still tell.
Not everything needs to be seen that clearly.
Old 06-08-11, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, after a dozen years of collecting DVDs, and many of them still unwatched (we've even started unloading unwatched stuff just to get rid of it), we're not in a rush to get into another game of keeping up with the Joneses. There's a lot of stuff we watch that will never be good enough to show on Blu, and even on a 46" screen, most DVDs still look really good.
Old 06-08-11, 05:45 PM
Banned

I still watch VHS tapes so DVD is a huge improvement to me. I don't need fancy "Blue" players and "Blue" discs to be entertained.
Old 06-08-11, 05:56 PM

No rush, pretty much. Just got an HDTV a month ago, I'll get Blu when I get around to it.
Old 06-08-11, 06:42 PM

I got a PS3 two years ago and I only get either movies that would pop in HD (like Star Trek, Harry Potter, etc.) or ones that come out about the same price as their DVD counterparts (like The Social Network). I'm fine with getting stuff like Happy Gilmore or 12 Angry Men on DVD.
Old 06-08-11, 06:57 PM

Without a HDTV above 32", it's not worth the extra bucks
Old 06-08-11, 09:09 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My entire collection is DVD, I'm not changing because DVD is good enough for my wife and I. When the DVD player dies, I may buy Blu-Ray, but since my TV doesn't have HDMI, it probably won't do me any good. If the TV ever dies (perish the thought), then problem solved. But I still won't convert my DVD collection to Blu-Ray because there's no way in hell I'm spending that much money to convert yet again, only to find the next new technology has made Blu-Ray obsolete. -kd5-
Old 06-08-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post
Without a HDTV above 32", it's not worth the extra bucks
My bedroom TV is a 30" SD set and there's still a big difference.
Old 06-08-11, 10:33 PM

DVD is good enough, the studios dug their own grave with the DVD cash-cow, no way am I going to give them more money for an "upgrade".
Old 06-08-11, 10:38 PM
Banned

My tv is 27 inches and a regular square tv. Blu-ray does look better, though maybe not as good as an HDtv. It's run through component cables and even with that, blu does looks better. And you don't have to re-buy your entire collection. Most of what you have probably will never come to blu-ray. And at most places, blu-ray isn't that much more than the dvds. Most times only a few dollars more. And a lot of blu-ray are now coming with a dvd copy of the movie. Like Disney, for example. The whole "blu-ray is so much more expensive than dvd" thing is quickly becoming moot. Blu-ray is getting it's own 5 dollar bins. The last few movies I've bought or have been given were never more than 7 dollars.
Old 06-08-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought a Blu-ray player last Xmas for $80 and I have about 7 Blu-ray discs all of which I paid about $5 each for.

Yeah, it looks great even on my 36" CRT 1080i Sony Wega but I can't see myself upgrading too many DVDs. The catalogue titles that might actually be worth upgrading all seem to be $20+ on Blu. New releases generally run $25+ and there's really nothing I would spend that kind of money to own.

Even when you upgrade you usually have to hang onto your old DVD if you want the extras that weren't carried over to Blu.

I'm kind of in no-man's-land where I don't really want to spend any more money on DVDs and yet I'm not really compelled to go gung-ho on Blu-ray either.

I recently bought a used A2 HDDVD player and 90 movies. My grand total cost has been about $180 all inclusive.
Old 06-09-11, 12:30 AM
Banned

I have been buying blu-rays for about 3 years now but I only have 50 (two of those are multi-movie sets Back to the Future and the Batman movies.) I only re-buy the blu-rays of my absolute favourite movies like the classic Disney animation, Back To The Future (I've bought that 3 times. The original trilogy set, the special edition of the first one that has the Ride footage, and the blu-ray set), and other childhood movies. For me to upgrade, it has to have, at least the same extras as the dvds, if not more. If it's just the movie and no extras, then I'd have to think really hard about how much I love the movie.
Old 06-09-11, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The various MOD programs(which is the stuff I really, really want) have enough titles available to keep broke for a few years
Old 06-09-11, 05:33 AM

There's not enough of a difference between dvd and Blu Ray to justify the expense and inconvienience (and if you're going to say "Your tv's not set-up right" I'm going to call BS...... If I need a degree in electronics to even notice a small difference in the image then it's not worth it).

And if you're THAT obsessed with seeing movies in the best possible format, why not cut to the chase and start collecting 35mm prints? You'll save yourself a lot of upgrades.
Old 06-09-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
since my TV doesn't have HDMI, it probably won't do me any good.
Well, that's wrong. If you have an HDTV it will at least have component inputs, which are full HD. HDMI isn't necessary.

Originally Posted by kintnerboy View Post
And if you're THAT obsessed with seeing movies in the best possible format, why not cut to the chase and start collecting 35mm prints? You'll save yourself a lot of upgrades.
Hyperbole, thy name is kintnerboy.

As far as "expense and inconvenience" is concerned, that might have been the case a couple of years ago, but not now. Players are under $100 and disc prices are often comparable to DVD. I just paid $18 for "True Grit," which got me the DVD and Blu-ray both. That's par for the course with new releases.
Old 06-09-11, 09:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I mainly started buying Blus when they were cheaper than DVDs. I still buy both, about 50/50.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.