Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

May 2011 Make-Your-Own Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: May 2011 Make-Your-Own Challenge Discussion Thread

I may do a Japanese film challenge or even a Japanese TV challenge. Or maybe go through all my unwatched anime. Is narrowing it down to Japanese animation okay despite the existence of an animation challenge in August?
Old 04-19-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Is narrowing it down to Japanese animation okay despite the existence of an animation challenge in August?
Yes. Just please don't let it keep you from participating in the regular Animation Challenge.
Old 04-19-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Yes. Just please don't let it keep you from participating in the regular Animation Challenge.
Believe me, I have enough unseen anime to last the Make-Your-Own Challenge, the Animation Challenge and the TV on DVD Challenge without having to repeat any. And since so much of my anime is sci-fi, I'm tempted to use it for the Sci-Fi Challenge as well, although I have a lot of other intriguing material for that one.

Still, I like to vary my viewing, esp. when there's so much unexplored territory waiting to be discovered, as was the case with the TV on DVD Challenge.
Old 04-19-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I am going to do a icheckmovies list and use the All-Time Worldwide Box Office list.
Old 04-19-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Keep in mind you can "narrow the focus" of any of those Challenges. So you could do a month of Dr. Who, or a month of slasher films, or a month of I Love Lucy, etc.
Sweet, I need to re-watch The X-Files and Homicide: Life on the Street. Maybe I'll go with Homicide for this challenge and save X-Files for the sci-fi/fantasy challenge this summer.
Old 04-19-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

That's what I like about the idea of a Chuck Challenge. It doesn't fit easily into any other challenge except TV, and I really have been meaning to binge-watch to get caught up.
Old 04-19-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably going to do another Foreign Language Film Challenge. I seem to have a lot of those in my unwatched pile again.
Old 04-19-11, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is gonna be tough. I have tons of anime series I need to see-in their entirety, plus I have 17 classic serials that I haven't watched. Plus loads of live-action Japanese series (e.g. Ultraman and various Kamen Rider and Sentai series, as well as things like Sonny Chiba's "Shadow Warriors") that I meant to plow through for the TV on DVD challenge but I kept getting sidetracked on seductive journeys into other TV history. Plus shelf-fuls of Hong Kong movies from the last 20 years, as well as a couple hundred older Shaw Bros. titles I still haven't watched. Plus classic Japanese films by the likes of Kurosawa and Ozu that I still haven't seen. Plus a lot of westerns.

Maybe I'll do a series of mini-challenges like some participants have done: 3 serials in their entirety; 4 anime series in their entirety; 3 live-action Japanese series box sets in their entirety; the entire 44-film Spaghetti Westerns box set, etc. No, it's already too daunting. I need to set realistic goals, but I also need to vary the ingredients, so I don't get burned out on one thing.

Let's try it like this:
Two anime series in their entirety.
Two serials in their entirety.
One Japanese live-action series in its entirety.
10 Spaghetti Westerns I haven't seen before.
20 Shaw Bros. movies

No, still too much. How about the following:

One complete anime series
One complete serial
One complete Japanese live-action TV series box set
Five Westerns
Five Shaw Bros.
Three Classic Japanese films

Then, when and if I've completed those, start on another cycle of the same thing but with different titles. And see how far I get into a second cycle. How’s that?

(Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud...)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-19-11 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-20-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

While I could still change my mind before the Challenge begins, I am thinking right now Documentaries/Shows that aired on the History Channel/Educational Shows

In my DVD Collection I have Life, Dogfights Season 1, and some Wild Kingdom DVDs
Old 04-20-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I might follow suit and do some Doctor who marathon or a "Clean of My Hardrive of all the movies I have downloaded and have sitting on my comp waiitng"
Old 04-21-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'll just keep it to a Japanese film/TV challenge: some anime, some live-action TV shows, some classic films. I just have to figure out how much of each.
Old 04-21-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

For the Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge, we began watching the 1949 Batman and Robin serial last night and loved its low-budget silliness. I'm now leaning toward gorging on movies and TV shows based on comic books and comic strips. There are some favorites I've been itching to re-watch, and countless others still on my To See list. I can still incorporate much of the Reagan theme into the Historical Challenge in June.
Old 04-21-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
For the Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge, we began watching the 1949 Batman and Robin serial last night and loved its low-budget silliness. I'm now leaning toward gorging on movies and TV shows based on comic books and comic strips. There are some favorites I've been itching to re-watch, and countless others still on my To See list. I can still incorporate much of the Reagan theme into the Historical Challenge in June.
Don't forget the 1940s' Superman cartoons. All 17 of them.
Old 04-21-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Don't forget the 1940s' Superman cartoons. All 17 of them.
I adore those! I'm among those who feel there's a pronounced difference in quality between the first nine (by the Fleischer brothers) and the last eight (by Famous Studios). "The Mechanical Monsters" is still one of the most enjoyable Superman stories ever put on screen. "Volcano" is terrific and even though "The Arctic Giant" is terribly silly, who doesn't want to see Superman fight a Tyrannosaurus rex?! And even though I abhor the racism found in "Japoteurs," it's fascinating to me as someone with a background in history to watch Superman used for WW II propaganda. I appreciate that that short has been preserved for us to view and help us contextualize an era that took place before many (probably most) of us were born.
Old 04-21-11, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I adore those! I'm among those who feel there's a pronounced difference in quality between the first nine (by the Fleischer brothers) and the last eight (by Famous Studios). "The Mechanical Monsters" is still one of the most enjoyable Superman stories ever put on screen. "Volcano" is terrific and even though "The Arctic Giant" is terribly silly, who doesn't want to see Superman fight a Tyrannosaurus rex?! And even though I abhor the racism found in "Japoteurs," it's fascinating to me as someone with a background in history to watch Superman used for WW II propaganda. I appreciate that that short has been preserved for us to view and help us contextualize an era that took place before many (probably most) of us were born.
Also, there are other serials besides the Batman/Superman ones that are based on comic books/comic strips: CAPTAIN MARVEL (1941) is on DVD, but I'm not sure if CAPTAIN AMERICA (1944) is available. Then there's SPY SMASHER (1942) and THE ADVENTURES OF RED RYDER (1940). The three Flash Gordon serials and the Dick Tracy serials and films were based on comic strips.

Just this week I watched PALOOKA (1934) for the B-movie challenge. It's based on the Joe Palooka comic strip. PRINCE VALIANT (1954) is due to come out on DVD soon. That's based on a comic strip and is a pretty decent Vikings-vs.-Knights action spectacle, too.

There's tons of other stuff out there. The Blondie series of films (1938-1950), a couple of film versions of Li'l Abner, I could come up with much more if I sat here all day, but unfortunately, I gotta get back to work.
Old 04-21-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I will do the same as last year. Latin American and Iberian films. et al. I'm lazy too so I'll recycle my own rules.
Old 04-21-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Movies bought at Big Lots too loose of an association?
Old 04-21-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Sounds good to me. Any unifying theme that doesn't duplicate an "Official" DVD Talk Challenge is fair game.
Old 04-21-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I have *lots* of those in the unwatched pile! Many more than I could go through even on a "good" month!. So... do you qualify those by a cross-reference to the "Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)" thread?
Old 04-21-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Also, there are other serials besides the Batman/Superman ones that are based on comic books/comic strips: CAPTAIN MARVEL (1941) is on DVD, but I'm not sure if CAPTAIN AMERICA (1944) is available. Then there's SPY SMASHER (1942) and THE ADVENTURES OF RED RYDER (1940). The three Flash Gordon serials and the Dick Tracy serials and films were based on comic strips...
Apparently "Captain America" is - amazon - but reviews are very mixed as to quality.

"Adventures of Captain Marvel" is great fun! My grandson (7) really liked that one!

"The Phantom" (1943) is another good "superhero" type serial.

You can get *both* the Green Hornet ones ("The Green Hornet" & "Green Hornet Strikes Again") in a single package.

Then there's "Zorro" (3!), "King of the Rocket Men", ... That could be a very fun month.

...PRINCE VALIANT (1954) is due to come out on DVD soon...
That's been out for 6-7 years... or do you mean a Blu-Ray release?
Old 04-22-11, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm gonna repeat my theme for last year and watch a whole buncha hindi/ tamil films
Old 04-22-11, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link

That's been out for 6-7 years... or do you mean a Blu-Ray release?
Yeah, I meant Blu-ray. Thanks.
Old 04-22-11, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot all about this challenge. I might have to go the mini-challenge route. I need to watch:

- Film Movement DVDs that are still unwatched
- Unwatched Eclipse and Criterion Titles (still have leftovers from last year's B&N run)
- Movies on the DVR
- Criterion Streaming titles (because they are leaving Netflix soon)
Old 04-22-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds good to me. Any unifying theme that doesn't duplicate an "Official" DVD Talk Challenge is fair game.
Wow really? I thought I was going to get shot down for sure on that one, I am totally in then.

Here is an introductory stab at a BL checklist

Spoiler:

Watch one film from every decade Big Lots has sold.
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Watch a film for each rating:
--- Unrated (pre-MPAA) - (insert film title here)
--- G -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- Unrated/X/NC-17 (post-1968) -

Watch films in at least three price tiers ($3, $5, $6, $9, $10 [Bonus for non-standard non-coupon tier price]).
--- First Price Tier, (insert price), (insert title).
--- Second Price Tier, (insert price), (insert title).
--- Third Price Tier, (insert price), (insert title).

Watch films in at least one language other than English [Bonus for additional languages].
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch a film in each of the following genres/types:
--- Action/Adventure - (insert film title here)
--- Comedy -
--- Crime -
--- Disaster/Terrorist -
--- Documentary -
--- Drama -
--- Movie you saw and liked when you were a kid and only bought because it was so cheap -
--- Fantasy/Scifi -
--- Anime -
--- Horror -
--- Musical -
--- Mystery -
--- Chick Flick -
--- War/Western -

Title Sold At Big Lots Purchased Elsewhere:
--- (Title) (Price Paid) (Big Lots Price/Money Saved/Lost)

--- *Bonus* (worth 3 checks) Watch the only BluRay ever sold at Big Lots.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 04-22-11 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-22-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I have *lots* of those in the unwatched pile! Many more than I could go through even on a "good" month!. So... do you qualify those by a cross-reference to the "Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)" thread?
Well anything you personally bought there would of course be fair game, I guess you could also cross-reference if you bought the title somewhere else but it was seen there. (In this case you could want to note the price you bought it at and the price it sold for at BL). Also you would need to use the same edition as sold at BL, such at Blade Runner you would only be able to watch the 2-Disc DVD set or the old snapper, no case or BR or HD-DVD sets.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.