Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-11, 08:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

Streaming an Asylum title right now, Mega Shark versus Crocosaurus (2010).

Holy crap, I knew Asylum titles were supposed to be bad, but I never knew they could be this awful. Hopefully, it reaches the so-bad-it's-good level; but either way I'm having fun.
Old 04-29-11, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Second Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30 2011

I'm finishing out the challenge with Full Moon films I haven't seen yet. Started Evil Bong last night and I'll do part 2 when I finish. After that, it's anybody's guess, just like what you could get by having unprotected sex with hookers.
Old 04-29-11, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

Holy crap, I knew Asylum titles were supposed to be bad, but I never knew they could be this awful. Hopefully, it reaches the so-bad-it's-good level; but either way I'm having fun.
I've not yet found one from Asylum that manages to reach such a lofty level...
Old 04-30-11, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Originally Posted by Trevor

I've not yet found one from Asylum that manages to reach such a lofty level...
Yep, this one didn't either. It was just plain bad. I was obviously in the mood for cheese, but can't imagine subjecting myself to this one again. Maybe in a rifftrax....

Wish I had a drive-in near me, would love to finish things off with that experience.
Old 04-30-11, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Final day of the challenge. I hope everyone has enjoyed himself as much as I have. I really love these movies. Last year I didn't want it to end but this year I admit to hitting a wall myself. The convention and all the books I bought did me in and last night I went to see Jon Stewart live. I'm going to hit a last few tonight since it goes on til dawn.

I want to say that I really appreciate all the participation in not only the challenge but the thread itself. I also wish I had the discipline to write reviews of each film as many of you have. With a challenge like this, where so many of the films and genres are new to even the most seasoned of us, the write-ups are very useful and interesting. I think this challenge even helps the others in that it becomes easier to appreciate that shitty sci-fi or horror film now. I hope you guys join me again next year.

Be sure to number your lists. We've got maybe a dozen prizes thanks to Hamiltonbook.com and Troma. Since we only had a couple people hit 100, I think I'll lower the threshold to 50 for the extra entry for prizes.

If there's any feedback or ideas for next year we can keep adding to this thread until next March when the new thread will go up.

Thanks again.

Oh, and welcome back, Trevor.
Old 04-30-11, 08:42 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I hit 100 yesterday with an old favorite, Eating Raoul.

Today I think I'll devote to commentaries to finish out the challenge. It's been fun; I am so glad I decided to participate!
Old 04-30-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I know I've still got more than half of today, but it's unlikely I'm going to get to anything else for the challenge. I set out to basically watch three movies: a pair of movies starring Johnny Cash that I bought on a public domain disc for a buck about five years ago and still hadn't gotten to, and The Opium Connection, which was also a public domain, $1 purchase. I opened the challenge with the Cash double feature, but my player refused to read Opium so it remains unwatched.

I hadn't planned on it, but I did wind up finally watching the 1949 serial, Batman and Robin, which I bought a few years ago and hadn't made time to watch until now. My wife and I both thoroughly loved it. I streamed several movies, including two that I'd been meaning to see for years: Histoire d'O and Emmanuel. It's always nice to either whittle down my Unwatched Pile or to make good use of my Netflix membership. Here, then, are my end-of-challenge awards:

Favorite Movie Watched: Black Dynamite
Best/Most Brutal Catfight: Bitch Slap (runner up: Bitch Slap)
Most Gratuitous Nudity: Histoire d'O
Hottest Sex Scene: Emmanuel
Most Laughable Killing: The Gore Gore Girls
Most Outrageous/Squeamish Killing: Someone's Knocking at the Door
Best Use of Ordinary Objects in Combat: Pool balls (Zombie Strippers!)
Best Performance (tie): Johnny Cash (Five Minutes to Live), Michael Jai White (Black Dynamite)
Best WTF Moment: Someone's Knocking at the Door

Oops! I forgot my conclusion! All of the movies I watched for this challenge were first-time viewings, so even though I wasn't terribly thrilled by all of them (I found Histoire d'O boring and Bad Girls from Mars kinda lame), it was nice to expose myself to new things I might otherwise have continued to neglect. There were several that had been on my To See list for a while, and it was nice to finally get to those.

Props to caligulathegod for hosting a nice, clean challenge and my thanks to those with whom I've bantered throughout the discussion thread for the friendly conversation. I'll definitely give this another go next year and see if I can't top my 18 from this year.

Last edited by Travis McClain; 04-30-11 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-30-11, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,019 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Final day of the challenge. I hope everyone has enjoyed himself as much as I have. I really love these movies. Last year I didn't want it to end but this year I admit to hitting a wall myself. The convention and all the books I bought did me in and last night I went to see Jon Stewart live. I'm going to hit a last few tonight since it goes on til dawn.

I want to say that I really appreciate all the participation in not only the challenge but the thread itself. I also wish I had the discipline to write reviews of each film as many of you have. With a challenge like this, where so many of the films and genres are new to even the most seasoned of us, the write-ups are very useful and interesting. I think this challenge even helps the others in that it becomes easier to appreciate that shitty sci-fi or horror film now. I hope you guys join me again next year.

Be sure to number your lists. We've got maybe a dozen prizes thanks to Hamiltonbook.com and Troma. Since we only had a couple people hit 100, I think I'll lower the threshold to 50 for the extra entry for prizes.

If there's any feedback or ideas for next year we can keep adding to this thread until next March when the new thread will go up.

Thanks again.

Oh, and welcome back, Trevor.
Thanks, caligulathegod, for running the challenge and always being willing to answer questions about the wide breadth of films in this challenge.

And ditto for Trevor. I was pleased to see him make a late entry into the list thread.

I'm a little disappointed that I'm not going to make my goal fo 20, but life happens and work ended up much busier than I thought. Early this morning I sat down to watch Django, then my kid showed up and for some reason preferred to watch Lion King 2.

Still, I enjoyed the challenge and am glad I finally saw Enter the Dragon, the Spit on Your Grave remake, Death Proof, and some others. When we first started talking about this challenge, it was fun to see how many eligible titles I already owned, like B actions, Dragon Dynasty, spaghetti Westerns, etc.

I also discovered while going through my collection that these are actually not the same movie. I started but didn't finish the first one, so watching both will be a goal of next year's challenge.

Old 04-30-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Watched TWO-LANE BLACKTOP this morning and noticed when they fueled their cars, the price at the pump was $.169 a gallon.
Old 04-30-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'm finishing out the challenge with Full Moon films I haven't seen yet. Started Evil Bong last night and I'll do part 2 when I finish. After that, it's anybody's guess, just like what you could get by having unprotected sex with hookers.
I'm a big baby. I finished Evil Bong, then watched the Roadshow special feature which ended with a bunch of clips of the monsters in all of Band's movies, many of which surrounded me in the big dark room I was in. If I watched something else, I knew I'd have a nightmare.

I started Avenging Angel instead and then fell asleep 20 minutes into it.
Old 04-30-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I watched #85 today--RAPPIN' (1985) with Mario Van Peebles, which is probably only the second musical I've watched for this. (The other was the animated fantasy, ALAKAZAM THE GREAT, which has enough songs in it to qualify as a musical, I guess.)

I know I won't make it to 100, but I want to close out with something really different or something from childhood that I haven't seen in 50 years. Or both, if I have time. I'll post a sum-up after I'm done.

By my count, only five others have watched more than me.
Old 04-30-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Would be able to use Star Trek the Motion Picture as a wild card? I'm watching it right now and if I can use it as a wild card, I'll add it to my list as I have not used any wild cards yet this month.
Old 04-30-11, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the welcome backs guys. I was always lurking during that sabbatical of sorts, but think I'm fully back now. Well, not fully as in ever watching 200+ films a month and posting 24/7, but back as in watching maybe a film a day and posting on the forum daily. I missed you all; plan to see at least token participation in every Challenge from now until the end of time.
Old 04-30-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Would be able to use Star Trek the Motion Picture as a wild card? I'm watching it right now and if I can use it as a wild card, I'll add it to my list as I have not used any wild cards yet this month.
I can't imagine that being allowed. It's not close to exploitation or a b-movie.
Old 04-30-11, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Probably won't get any more films watched today. It's been a really fun Challenge!

Going to start cleaning up my list and giving out "Best" awards maybe Sunday.
Old 04-30-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

At least I'll be able to finish watching some of what I wanted to "clear out" - peplum. Growing up I loved watching these on "The Sons of Hercules" syndicated program Saturday afternoons. While I've enjoyed most of the films I watched I wanted to hit at least 50. The 15 (maybe another couple - depending) I managed to squeeze in this month will have to do this time around.

Thanks to caligulathegod for running this and Hamilton Books for the prizes!
Old 04-30-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

My laptop decided to stop working yesterday so I would be much appricative if someone could resize the Battlefield Earth DVD cover to a width of 125 pixles so I could complete my list. Not sure how to do on my iPod here and I could use the destruction to take my mind of my expensive paper weight.

Also box office bomb?
Old 04-30-11, 07:54 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hit the wall!! I felt like I was watching certain movies just for the sake of the the checklist...so I aborted the checklist mission before the contest turned into a chore! I really enjoyed it and am happy I did this...122 isn't too shabby I guess. MUCH more that I ever thought I'd get. Congrats to all those who hit their goals be it 100, 50, 20, or 2! I loved (almost) every minute of watching these films and enjoyed following others lists and reviews!
Old 04-30-11, 09:08 PM
Cool New Member

Add my thanks to Caligula for running this challenge, the first one I've participated in.

I had a lot of fun both watching the movies and looking at other's lists for ideas, reviews and commentary.
Thought I'd maybe do sixty and ended up with better than double that.

About eight hours left and I may have one more movie left in me.

Congrats to everyone that hit their goals (or just had fun trying) and god bless NetFlix Instant.

I'll post a personal wrap-up tomorrow.

Last edited by number2; 04-30-11 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-30-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I would allow Star Trek V, but the rest I don't think so.
Old 04-30-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I made it to 87.

I chose to close out with two films: GOLIATH AND THE BARBARIANS (1960), a sword 'n' sandal film I hadn't seen since it played in theaters when I was a kid--50 years ago!--and THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN (1978), because it's the gold standard of kung fu films and I needed to include at least one film with "Shaolin" in the title. Also, it's the only film from 1978 on my list, which means that I've now seen at least one film each from every year from 1931-to-1979. If I'd managed to squeeze in ones from 1980 and 1982, I would have completed my goal of reaching every year up through 1985. Oh well, maybe next year.

It's late for me, so I'll do a sum-up tomorrow, including the real gems I discovered.
Old 04-30-11, 10:05 PM

I really wish I had done more but once I took a break off for the wedding I really lost that drive to watch multiple movies a day.

Oh well, it was still a hell of a lot of fun and that just means I'll have even more to watch next year to make up for it.

Looks like I'll be finishing my list with Ticked off Trannies with knives
Old 04-30-11, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I made it to 87.

I chose to close out with two films: GOLIATH AND THE BARBARIANS (1960), a sword 'n' sandal film I hadn't seen since it played in theaters when I was a kid--50 years ago!
Whoa! Old Man River! (Just kidding!) Seriously, though, I felt that you had one of the stronger lists in this month's challenge. You have some thoughtful and informative write-ups for your entries.

It looks like I'm not going to make it to 50 movies, but it's going to be damn close. I'm going to spend the next couple of days typing up reviews for the rest of my list and doing a little more revision to my existing reviews. I'm capping off the challenge with a couple of direct-to-video movies yet to be decided. Hoping everybody finishes strong tonight!
Old 04-30-11, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Just managed my fiftieth movie. Finished off with Swordsman 2. Happy I got here, enjoyed the trip but am relieved it's over. I did make my personal goal of at least one movie a day for the entire month.
Old 05-01-11, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Congrats to everyone who met their goals and big props and thanks to caligulathegod for setting it up and steering it along. I watched more than I thought I would and will be keeping it going as I've been on this kick all year and enjoy introducing these movies to friends. Wish I discussed more in here maybe but what the hell can you say about a lot of these movies?

I did have a small 'nostalgia mode' breakdown moment last night at the beginning of Rolling Thunder when those people were gathered to welcome home the troops...the absence of anyone on their cell phones, talking, texting, twatting, fuck I thought my brain was going to melt down in a brief flashback-longing moment...maybe my mind was just shut down too long because of this challenge to be faced with a film that makes you think

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.