DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Adam West says that Batman(60s) dvds may be near

I like this part, sounds like WB paid out to Fox

Variety is reporting that Warner Bros. has succesfully negotiated the rights to the original show (originaly produced by 20th Century Fox), the logo, and the likeness of several of the original actors to create a line of clothes, toys, homegoods and other products.
Old 06-07-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

This is just merchandising, not the actual tv show. WB has already stated this changes nothing concerning dvds. Additional parties to the show are CBS/Paramount, MGM, Columbia or Universal(whichever one holds Green Hornet rights), music rights including the theme song, incidental music, and singing appearances by Lesley Gore and Chad & Jeremy. There's probably more.
Old 06-07-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yup:

UPDATE: We've now been in touch with the studio, and a Warner contact informs us that the Variety article unfortunately only pertains to consumer products of the type mentioned in their story; there's been no new news on the DVD front. Darn it.

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...#ixzz1x8uVzUpo
Old 06-07-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Could it be that if Warner and Fox are willing to see dollar signs over merchandise that it really is DC - and specifically Dan DiDio - that's blocking the TV release? I can't imagine the other parties being abject to making royalties off their content being put in the DVDs. Even the idea of holding out for more money doesn't seem to make much sense this late in the game. It just feels to me like the only plausible holdup is that someone who has veto power just doesn't want this to see the light of day.

Even the Green Hornet isn't necessarily an issue. That two-parter was in the second season, so they could at least roll out the first season before having to address it. By then, they would have sales figures to help them decide whether it makes business sense to negotiate to include the Hornet episodes, or to just omit them. It might be disappointing, sure, but I'd happily take 118 episodes on DVD instead of 0.
Old 06-08-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DC has never had any involvement in this whole situation.

They may not like the memories the show brings back, but they can't do a thing about it.
Old 06-08-12, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
DC has never had any involvement in this whole situation.

They may not like the memories the show brings back, but they can't do a thing about it.
So far as I understand it, no one has actually come forward to identify just what the specific holdup(s) may be. One prevailing theory has been that it is DC Comics and specifically that it's Dan DiDio. It may be tempting to think that DC is merely a publishing imprint of Warner Bros., but they have a clearer legal standing than that and it is DC Comics who owns the copyright on the Batman character and related elements. In the strictest legal sense, nobody can do a thing with Batman without DC's approval - not even Warner Bros.
Old 06-08-12, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Didn't Dan DiDio openly said that he didn't care for the 1960s Batman tv series? Probably because it put DC Comics on the map. Biting the hand that feeds it.
Old 06-08-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
So far as I understand it, no one has actually come forward to identify just what the specific holdup(s) may be. One prevailing theory has been that it is DC Comics and specifically that it's Dan DiDio. It may be tempting to think that DC is merely a publishing imprint of Warner Bros., but they have a clearer legal standing than that and it is DC Comics who owns the copyright on the Batman character and related elements. In the strictest legal sense, nobody can do a thing with Batman without DC's approval - not even Warner Bros.
The idea that DC Comics is somehow responsible for keeping this show off of DVD is completely absurd. DC Comics has absolutely no power in the Warner Bros. organization.
Old 06-08-12, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I just don't understand studio disputes like this. Wouldn't it be advantageous to compromise and share the rights? Isn't a piece of pie better than no pie at all?
Old 06-08-12, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I just don't understand studio disputes like this. Wouldn't it be advantageous to compromise and share the rights? Isn't a piece of pie better than no pie at all?
Hollywood is greedy.
Old 06-08-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

More likely, it's such a tangled mess that the legal fees to straighten it out aren't worth it. I've read that everyone who worked on the show retains the rights to their contribution. There was no work for hire. There could be hundreds of parties who would have to tracked down. Besides characters owned by other entities(Addams Family, Hogans Heroes, Green Hornet), music rights, costume designer rights, Batmobile, etc. The set designers and script writers might own the rights to their work. How many different wall climbings with somebody poking their head out the window were there? Each one is probably a legal clearance.
Old 06-08-12, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Holly Communism, Batman!

Old 06-08-12, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ben12
The idea that DC Comics is somehow responsible for keeping this show off of DVD is completely absurd. DC Comics has absolutely no power in the Warner Bros. organization.
Source?
Old 06-08-12, 05:47 PM

The DC comics division more likely generates no profit for Warners (or if it did. it wouldn't register on a pie chart) The only reason it's still around is the merchanding rights which is wholly a Warner property. This goes for Marvel's relationship to Disney as well. To think that the board of directors for Time-Life care what Dan Didio's opinions might be regarding movies and TV is laughable
RW2516 above is pretty accurate with the causes of the delay. Another big player in the mess are the heirs to the producer of the show, William Dozier and Greenway productions
Old 06-08-12, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible
The DC comics division more likely generates no profit for Warners (or if it did. it wouldn't register on a pie chart) The only reason it's still around is the merchanding rights which is wholly a Warner property. This goes for Marvel's relationship to Disney as well. To think that the board of directors for Time-Life care what Dan Didio's opinions might be regarding movies and TV is laughable
This.

DC Comics is nothing more than IP farm for the Warners empire.

The idea that Dan Didio, or anyone else at DC Comics, is bossing around Warners is ludicrous.

Frankly, everyone at DC Comics has probably been shitting their pants for years at the thought of their corporate overlords taking a look at them and asking why they're still publishing comic books when they cost a shit-ton of money to produce, generate low sales, have a short shelf-life, and only sell in a tiny network of hobby shops.
Old 06-09-12, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry you're wrong there. Warner Bros is the one that makes the call. Its always been stated the reason for the holdup has been the rights split somewhere between Fox, Warners, and the Dozier estate.

Just like Watchmen, nothing's going to stop WB from making money unless there's legal quandaries they just can't clear up as much as they'd like. Which is what's going on here.
Old 06-09-12, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
This.

DC Comics is nothing more than IP farm for the Warners empire.

The idea that Dan Didio, or anyone else at DC Comics, is bossing around Warners is ludicrous.

Frankly, everyone at DC Comics has probably been shitting their pants for years at the thought of their corporate overlords taking a look at them and asking why they're still publishing comic books when they cost a shit-ton of money to produce, generate low sales, have a short shelf-life, and only sell in a tiny network of hobby shops.
Well the previous president, Paul Levitz always had DC submerged in the magazine divisions of the company when they went looking through the books for just such a reason. And it worked for years.

Until all this new developments with Diane Nelson and the creation of DC Entertainment.

But they know how much money they're actually making, they consider DC more of a R&D area now for movies, TV, games, what have you. So as long as DC's hitting what it normally hits, they'll be fine.
Old 06-09-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry you're wrong there. Warner Bros is the one that makes the call. Its always been stated the reason for the holdup has been the rights split somewhere between Fox, Warners, and the Dozier estate.

Just like Watchmen, nothing's going to stop WB from making money unless there's legal quandaries they just can't clear up as much as they'd like. Which is what's going on here.
I refer you to this 2008 article from TVShowsonDVD.com:

Let's clear that up, though, about whom under the Time Life conglomerate umbrella owns the character of "Batman" (and related characters and trademarks). We're told, time and again by people at the company, that it's DC Comics, and not any other division of Time Life! The folks at Warner Bros. Pictures does not own Batman, nor does Warner Home Video (as we relayed at the bottom of our recent report of what WHV execs said on the subject at a live online chat held a week ago at the Home Theater Forum). And these "sister" companies to DC Comics have exactly as much right to tell DC what to do, as you and I have to tell our own siblings what to do (i.e., none). And the parent company apparently has very little interest in stepping in and telling these individual divisions how to run their day-to-day operations.
In the interest of fairness, though, I won't refrain from also quoting the very next paragraph which states:

Let's also address the years-old rumor that Warner wouldn't let Fox release the "campy" '60s Batman series because it would degrade the current "dark" reputation of the character and his stories. Again, it would be DC Comics, not Warner...and DC obviously hasn't held up DVD releases of the equally campy Filmation cartoon series, which has the characters voiced by the actors of the live-action 1966 series: Adam West and Burt Ward. And that cartoon also includes the mega-campy magic "Bat-mite" character, a real example of silliness in the Bat-world. Why would that come out if there was concern over Batman's image? Truth be told, there actually seems to be very little worry over Batman's "street cred"...it's all about the rights issues. And there are a TON of them!
The article then runs down all the potential players that could have a legal stake in this (and therefore could be the party responsible for the holdup), but it's merely a summary of what we already know.
Old 06-09-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't imagine the other parties being abject to making royalties off their content being put in the DVDs. Even the idea of holding out for more money doesn't seem to make much sense this late in the game. It just feels to me like the only plausible holdup is that someone who has veto power just doesn't want this to see the light of day.
I'm reminded of Susan Hart, the widow of James H. Nicholson. She owns several AIP films outright and is notoriously difficult to deal with. Nobody wants to deal with her and she doesn't care. These films probably won't reappear until after she dies and an heir controls them. Among others, Amazing Colossal Man, Invasion of the Saucermen, It Conquered The World, I Was A Teenage Werewolf and I Was A Teenage Frankenstein.
Old 06-09-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

My understanding at this point is the Dozier estate is still the big hurdle to clear. They want a fortune for the rights.
Old 06-12-12, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible
To think that the board of directors for Time-Life care what Dan Didio's opinions might be regarding movies and TV is laughable
Except for the pesky little detail about how DC has approval of the way their characters are portrayed written into all of their rights agreements, a clause that Michael Uslan, Bruce Timm and the Salkinds have all acknowledged in interviews. Anyone who has listened to all the DCAU commentaries can attest to this as Timm is open about his frustration in dealing with DC in regards to anything remotely out-of-the-box in regards to the way Batman was portrayed. I specifically remember him talking about that TNBA episode where Batman supposedly dies. Of course the whole thing is a dream (spoiler alert!) but even then he had to do it on DC's terms.

To think DC holds the rights to all these characters but is in a position to be totally bullied by all of their sister companies with little or no regard for the law is what's really laughable. If anything their ownership of these iconic characters has given them far more power than they should have.
Old 02-09-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I apologize for bumping this thread... no news on the DVD releases, but 120 episodes (in pretty decent quality) are currently available on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...BFE311228C9066

get 'em while you can.
Old 03-23-13, 02:16 PM

Could it be that if Warner and Fox are willing to see dollar signs over merchandise that it really is DC - and specifically Dan DiDio - that's blocking the TV release?
Eh. I don't think DiDio really has the juice with WB for that. And that's a good thing: Just compare the last two years of WB's DC Animated movies with the last two years of DC comics.
Old 03-24-13, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Dc just announced a monthly Batmam 66 series (it will debut as digital first), so they don't seem to be ignoring that this series ever happened anymore.
Old 03-24-13, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Dc just announced a monthly Batmam 66 series (it will debut as digital first), so they don't seem to be ignoring that this series ever happened anymore.
DC has never shied away from the goofier portrayals of Batman. The theory that they did was merely reverse-engineered out of the lack of Batman '66 on DVD.

Here in 2013 with the Batman serials and Batman: The Movie and the Schumacher films available and several campy back-issues available in trades and as digital downloads and several companies producing '66 merch I think we can lay the "DC is embarrassed" theory to rest. We can thank "Man of Steel" for getting seasons 2-4 of "Superboy" on DVD. The ability to sell a DVD with "Batman" or "Superman" on it is a bucket and any sense of integrity about how the character is portrayed is a drop in said bucket. This isn't a new development.

Batman isn't on DVD. The non-DC Green Hornet isn't on DVD. Draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 03-24-13 at 07:49 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.