Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Thunderbolt & Lightfoot" is OOP - any news on a re-release?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was a great film, and a wonderful showcase for actor Jeff Bridges, who stole the movie away from the lead star, Clint Eastwood. Bridges was rewarded for his work in this 1974 flick with a supporting actor Oscar-nomination (his second, after 1971's The Last Picture Show).

Hopefully there are plans to re-release this.
Old 02-11-11, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "Thunderbolt & Lightfoot" is OOP - any news on a re-release?

It's much better than its title would imply and often hilarious and even touching. I believe the current disc is nonanamorphic so here's hoping it's reissued properly.
Old 02-11-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Earlier today, I started re-watching my old full-screen CBS Fox VHS tape of this for the Oscar challenge and thinking, maybe I should get a DVD of this.
Old 02-11-11, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Future Man
It's much better than its title would imply and often hilarious and even touching. I believe the current disc is nonanamorphic so here's hoping it's reissued properly.
Yeah I have it and it is not anamorphic unfortunately!!! I would love to see a SE re-release that is indeed anamorphic-
Old 02-11-11, 10:46 PM
Banned

Yeah, I sold mine a while ago. I doubt if that movie will ever come back out on dvd. Getting ready for the blu-ray release. Hope Hope..
Old 02-12-11, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by pbishop69
Yeah, I sold mine a while ago. I doubt if that movie will ever come back out on dvd. Getting ready for the blu-ray release. Hope Hope..
Never say never. The studios are repackaging 2, 3, and 4 packs around a common theme and putting them out there at bargain prices all the time. A film in which Jeff Bridges got an Oscar nomination (not to mention the presence of Eastwood) could easily be repackaged and reissued with a couple of other similar titles.
Old 02-12-11, 08:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

watched this a couple months ago on the big screen here in Austin, TX during a "Weird Wednesday" showing. holy hell that was the most fun i've had in a movie theater. there was something just incredibly unexplainable about getting that opportunity to revisit a dear film i grew up to.

the part with the trunk full of rabbits in that car driven by that crazy Deliverance guy had me in TEARS laughing!! you could just feel the nerdy cinematic love in that packed crowd that night.
Old 02-13-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

There are so many great redneck character actors in it who were all active in the '70s. The best parts of the movie feature those actors. Burton Gilliam from PAPER MOON and BLAZING SADDLES; Garey Busey, fresh off of THE LAST AMERICAN HERO with Bridges; Roy Jenson (THE GETAWAY); Dub Taylor (Peckinpah regular, including THE GETAWAY); Gregory Walcott (an Eastwood regular as well as an alumnus of PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE); Bill McKinney (DELIVERANCE), Jack Dodson (THE GETAWAY); plus: future Daisy Duke Catherine Bach. I must be forgetting some others. Oh, yeah, Geoffrey Lewis, who plays one of the four leads. He'd been in DILLINGER the year before. Heck, even Alvin Childress, who'd played Amos on the old black-cast TV show, "Amos and Andy," shows up.

Too bad Michael Cimino decided to take himself so seriously for the rest of his career. Why didn't he just keep working with Eastwood?