Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Huge Collections ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huge Collections ?

I know that there are people here that have massive dvd/blu-ray collections. I'd like to know if you have a collection so huge that you've been looking through it one day and see one or more movies that you forgot you had. Or you buy a movie (or more than one) and go to put it in your collection and find that you have so many movies that you forgot you already had the movie or movies you just bought.
Old 02-02-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Huge Collections ?

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Or you buy a movie (or more than one) and go to put it in your collection and find that you have so many movies that you forgot you already had the movie or movies you just bought.
That has happened to me 3 or 4 times, but only with things I've never watched.
Old 02-02-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luckily, I haven't bought a DVD only to discover that I already had it on my shelf, but there have been instances where I think I have a title, and therefore don't buy it, only to return home to find that I must have sold it off long before.
Old 02-02-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not so much movies as TV seasons. I've done it with Family Guy a couple of times.

I did buy a double feature where I already owned the movies but in a different set, so I do have that excuse. I can't be expected to know the names of all my movies on the go but I do remember distinctive artwork. Something like Family Guy always has the family on the cover, so I'll never remember anything as generic as that.

As for another tale, I bought The Brain and let it sit unwatched for years. I go to watch it and it's a bad disc. I go to remove it from my collection software and find I have another copy of it. That was good since it had long since gone out of print. At least I think it was The Brain, or something like it. The movie has a cover of an evil brain with a mouth on the cover.
Old 02-02-11, 10:30 PM
Banned

I usually keep a good bead on what's in my collection. I keep a written list (well, written in NotePad) as well as a complete collection list in DVD Profiler, so I can look in just seconds to see what I do and don't have. I've bought multiple feature collections that had two or three movies that I already had because the one or two movies in the set that I didn't have was anamorphic now or I already had the movie but it wasn't anamorphic. Which was why I bought the Home Alone blu-ray. Not so much for the picture quality or for the extras, but because it didn't fit my tv correctly.
Old 02-03-11, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Which was why I bought the Home Alone blu-ray.
The reason I bought the Home Alone bluray set was because I got the set for $14.99 and also to get rid of sucky part 3 (I had the Home Alone Collection: 3 Pack 2001 DVD Set). I actually sold it on half.comfor around $28 after their fees. The version I had included the Home Alone (Family Fun Edition) instead of the barebones edition of the disc which I sold long ago.
Old 02-03-11, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Or you buy a movie (or more than one) and go to put it in your collection and find that you have so many movies that you forgot you already had the movie or movies you just bought.
That's happened to me a few times.
Old 02-03-11, 08:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope. I'm obsessed with my collection. 75% of my day is somehow movie related. Buying, watching, looking up info on the web, etc. So I know every title in my collection of 4829. When your life is movies its easy to remember.
Old 02-03-11, 09:26 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sometimes happens to me when I'm "Garage sailing". When it does, I give the Copy to a Friend.
Old 02-03-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can look in just seconds to see what I do and don't have.
Your collection isn't big enough if you can look in seconds.
Old 02-03-11, 12:24 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I have never bought a movie that I already have, but 2 or 3 times I've looked for something to watch and realized I have something that I forgot I had. So I probably would have bought it if I saw it cheap somewhere.
Old 02-03-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
He keeps lists on his computer. ctrl f would find any particular title in seconds.
Old 02-03-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 328 Likes on 199 Posts

I have only once bought a dupe it was something about Stan Lee. It was a movie hidden away in my spiderman box set and I saw it 5 or so years later at Big Lots for $3 and snagged it for the second time on accident.

Otherwise I don't really have a problem keeping track of what I own, I am around 2500 titles.
Old 02-03-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 328 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
There is an app for that.
Old 02-03-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm always running across movies I forgot i had, Mainly because im always getting new ones and havent watched my older ones in so long
Old 02-03-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I know that there are people here that have massive dvd/blu-ray collections. I'd like to know if you have a collection so huge that you've been looking through it one day and see one or more movies that you forgot you had. Or you buy a movie (or more than one) and go to put it in your collection and find that you have so many movies that you forgot you already had the movie or movies you just bought.
I've done this often enough that I've learned not to buy something in question until I get home and check and see if I have it. Even so, I have done a couple of repeat buys in the last year or so, usually volumes of anime series or manga. I've taken to jotting down in a notepad which volumes of certain series I have so I can consult it when I'm in a store. Of course, given the ravages of age, short-term memory ain't what it used to be. What was your question again?

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-07-11 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-03-11, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
That has happened to me 3 or 4 times, but only with things I've never watched.
Thankfully this happened to me only 1 time. I bought "Abres Los Ojos" twice because I had it filed under O for "Open Your Eyes" instead of A!!!
Old 02-05-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As forgetting I have a title, once in a great while I'll be looking for something to watch and see something that I forgot I had, but if someone asked me if I had that title, I would know 99% of the time. I'm closing in on 2000 titles and I can say that if someone asked me where "Title X" was, I could find it on my shelves within 10 seconds.

There have been 2 times where I purchased a title I already had. It's a pretty stupid feeling, but I have either been able to sell it or give it to a friend or something.
Old 02-05-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Happened to me 2 or 3 times, but only once after I opened it. Otherwise I was able to return it to the store.
Old 02-05-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never bought anything twice, but I have had moments where I forgot I owned something when browsing.
Old 02-05-11, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm around 1500 titles, and its happened to me too. Usually when I'm at a place that sells used DVDs or Big Lots.
Old 02-05-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm around 500 films and although I couldn't tell you every one, I can look at a DVD on a shelf at a store and tell you if I own it or if I had owned it at one time, including previous or subsequent editions.
Old 02-06-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It has happened to me a couple of times, but only on Big Lots $3 titles, which are bought on the spur of the moment. I'll go to DVD Profiler to enter them and realize that I already have them. Then I return them to Big Lots. Not a big deal.
Old 02-06-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I couldn't tell you every one, I can look at a DVD on a shelf at a store and tell you if I own it or if I had owned it at one time, including previous or subsequent editions.
I'm the same way. I have a large collection -- one which would be nearly impossible to remember if I sat down and tried to list every film in the collection solely using my memory. However, I can recall having these films by simply seeing them in store or elsewhere. As a result, I have never made the mistake of having a duplicate order or purchase for any film. If I do re-buy something it's because I'm upgrading from DVD to Blu-ray.
Old 02-06-11, 02:38 PM

The few times it happened I returned them to the store unopened for a different movie

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.