Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

didn't seen anyone talk about this and was wondering what would be the better version to get. the first one or the second extended collectors edition. the first release was all on one dvd and the second was split on 2 dvds for some reason so you have to change it in the middle. you do have extra stuff on the extended one though so guess have to get both versions maybe? i find it hard to believe they couldn't even get the version they released on 1 dvd already.

sorry if this is in the wrong area
Old 12-28-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: avatar dvd versions

the 3 disc version has 3 versions of the movie
the theatrical
the extended version that was rereleased in theaters in the summer
and a collectors version thats about 3 hours on the nose
the 3rd disc has a 90 min doc on the making of the movie and about an hours worth of deleted scenes
Since the discs use seamless branching, thats why each version is split where you have to change discs.
If you have Blu, all 3 versions fit on the same disc.
Old 12-28-10, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
the 3 disc version has 3 versions of the movie
the theatrical
the extended version that was rereleased in theaters in the summer
and a collectors version thats about 3 hours on the nose
the 3rd disc has a 90 min doc on the making of the movie and about an hours worth of deleted scenes
Since the discs use seamless branching, thats why each version is split where you have to change discs.
If you have Blu, all 3 versions fit on the same disc.
ok don't have bluray and knew about the 3 versions and everything in the disc one but still don't know about having to change discs in the middle. kinda seems like a lot. you know where they split it at? guess i will get both anyway sometime. another thing i didn't like was they couldn't have just gave a 4th disc on dvd with everything that comes on bluray. there really isn't a reason not too besides another reason they are trying to get people to upgrade to bluray which i am not doing any time soon since i am still using a symphonic 20 inch crt analog tv with composite as the highest input.
Old 12-28-10, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by james42519
ok don't have bluray and knew about the 3 versions and everything in the disc one but still don't know about having to change discs in the middle. kinda seems like a lot. you know where they split it at? guess i will get both anyway sometime. another thing i didn't like was they couldn't have just gave a 4th disc on dvd with everything that comes on bluray. there really isn't a reason not too besides another reason they are trying to get people to upgrade to bluray which i am not doing any time soon since i am still using a symphonic 20 inch crt analog tv with composite as the highest input.
beats me, blame Fox on that one (on the reason why the dvd isn't a 4 disc set w all the blu extras.

gimme a few min and i'll see where the split is
Old 12-28-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it really that big of a deal to get up once during a 3 hour movie? I sentence you to play CAV laserdiscs which had to be flipped/swapped every half hour.
Old 12-28-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ok my player says the split on the theatrical cut is an hour 24 in. I assume it splits at the same part on each version
Old 12-28-10, 05:24 PM

ok my player says the split on the theatrical cut is an hour 24 in. I assume it splits at the same part on each version
ok thanks. wonder between what scenes that is

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Is it really that big of a deal to get up once during a 3 hour movie? I sentence you to play CAV laserdiscs which had to be flipped/swapped every half hour.
i actually would like to have a laserdiscs but they are hard to find here. i can live with that now but dvd is different
Old 12-28-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ok thanks. wonder between what scenes that is

i actually would like to have a laserdiscs but they are hard to find here. i can live with that now but dvd is different
its right when the sam worthington character is being accepted as part of the navi tribe
Old 12-28-10, 05:29 PM

its right when the sam worthington character is being accepted as part of the navi tribe
ok thanks
Old 12-28-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still don't know about having to change discs in the middle.
A gallon of water won't fit in a half-gallon jug.

The extended version is too long to fit on a DVD-9 without over-compressing it.

kinda seems like alot.
Yes, it's a huge burden to get off the couch and walk the 10 feet to your DVD player after only 90 minutes of being sedentary. However will you manage?

If you aren't interested in going Blu anytime soon, maybe investing in a DVD changer will ease your suffering.

guess i will get both anyway sometime.
Why? The original release is bare bones, and that version of the movie is on the special edition. You'd be wasting your money.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 12-29-10 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-28-10, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty

The extended version is too long to fit on a DVD-9 without over-compressing it. kinda seems like a lot.
not really. JFK is well over 200 min (so is the Return of the king) and neither of them have compression issues
Old 12-29-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not really. JFK is well over 200 min (so is the Return of the king) and neither of them have compression issues
Different movies compress differently.
Old 12-29-10, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty

The extended version is too long to fit on a DVD-9 without over-compressing it.

Yes, it's a huge burden to get off the couch and walk the 10 feet to your DVD player after only 90 minutes of being sedentary. However will you manage?

Why? The original release is bare bones, and that version of the movie is on the special edition. You'd be wasting your money.
well it kinda is a issue when you get into a movie and don't want to get up in the middle just to change a movie and was thinking of getting the first one just because of that. so i can put it in and watch a whole movie without switching discs.
Old 12-29-10, 01:27 PM

If you really wanna get into movies that suck having to be flipped over or changed look at the early releases of DVD's. The very first release of "Seven" was horrible for that, and it was a 2 hour movie. (Luckily the 2 disc version corrected this problem.) I have a few movies that need to be redone, cause they can fit on one side. "Sleepers", "A Time To Kill", "Wyatt Earp", and a few others.
Old 12-30-10, 07:50 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, the extended version of Avatar is the only version to buy, and if it means getting up off the couch to change discs in the middle of the movie, then so be it. It's not that big of a deal to me, I actually have several movies/miniseries where I have to change discs in the middle of it. I have to be up to put the disc in the DVD player, I have to get up to take it out of the player and put it away, one more time to switch discs isn't going to kill me. I'm not morbidly obese so getting my ass up off the couch really isn't that big of a deal.

The extended version is the version to buy. -kd5-