Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

1st press dvds , card case , acrylic case

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-21-10, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could anyone tell me if the 1st press dvds which came in a card case or a larger plastic / acrylic case are at all collectable , rare or sought after???
ive noticed that all the card case dvds start with 7321900 in the barcode.
i have collected dvds for years but dont really know how to tell if any are rare or collectable. i would appreciate any help
thankyou
Old 12-21-10, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 1st press dvds , card case , acrylic case

Most of the rare DVDs are rare due to OoP status or limited pressings. The point here being that they're rare because the content on the disc is hard to get, not because of the container it sits in. There will always be a few suckers who put value on the case, but it seems most folks care about the contents.

I should probably mention that by rare, I mean expensive. Anybody can collect anything, doesn't mean they're willing to pay more though.
Old 12-22-10, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 1st press dvds , card case , acrylic case

I don't know the value of these as far as selling them. But every time we run across DVDs like this one ...

... that is available in Full Screen only and re-released in FS on multipacks all we hear online is that "when this film first came out it was a flipper disc with Full Screen on one side and Widescreen on the other." No one wants to buy the FS version. So the companies really fumbled the ball on these. They don't seem to care about fixing it either. So if you have "1st press DVDs" of the old flipper disc versions of these I am sure they could sell for a lot of money to the right buyers.

It's nearly impossible to find them online. But here is one example ...

http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Shelleys-...3035929&sr=1-7

Note how it's selling for around $45 while the FS version is only selling for around $2.70.