Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is enough enough already with the amount of releases for ONE movie??

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-18-10, 03:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I walk into Best Buy, for say 'Inception' or 'Despicable Me'.....and you have: the 1-disc DVD, the 1-Disc Blu-Ray, the Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack, the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy pack, the store exclusive pack, the 3-D blu-ray, etc.

There's literally like 4 or 5 different releases for ONE movie. Is the industry really THAT confused on how to market the transition from DVD to blu-ray?? Which ones sell the best? Which one's sell the worst??

I consider myself an educated consumer, at least in terms of DVD/Blu-Ray......but I feel AWFUL for those parents and grandparents who were told to go out and buy Inception as a gift. They must be so confused
Old 12-18-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Is enough enough already with the amount of releases for ONE movie??

I agree...it is pretty silly. They feel that they're doing the right thing in offering something for everyone. While it might be great for movie buffs, I feel it can really alienate the casual dvd buyer.
Old 12-18-10, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I agree...it is pretty silly. They feel that they're doing the right thing in offering something for everyone. While it might be great for movie buffs, I feel it can really alienate the casual dvd buyer.
YEP! Well said!
Old 12-18-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You should check out a movie called "Army Of Darkness".
Old 12-18-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebelphoenix
I walk into Best Buy, for say 'Inception' or 'Despicable Me'.....and you have: the 1-disc DVD, the 1-Disc Blu-Ray, the Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack, the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy pack, the store exclusive pack, the 3-D blu-ray, etc.

There's literally like 4 or 5 different releases for ONE movie. Is the industry really THAT confused on how to market the transition from DVD to blu-ray?? Which ones sell the best? Which one's sell the worst??
There are three different formats on the market (DVD, Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray). Should a title not be offered on each because it may be confusing? Let's go back 15 years. Should a music album not have been released on vinyl, CD and cassette?

Back on point, a consumer really only needs rudimentary literacy to understand what they're holding. The studios even went to the trouble of putting Blu-ray Discs in smaller, conspicuously blue cases than DVDs. They have that big Blu-ray emblem, right there at the top of the package. The 3D releases likewise emphasize their format.

The only confusion originates with the combo packs...which is funny, since the whole purpose of them is to allow consumers access to multiple formats with a singular purchase. If you can't decide between DVD and Blu-ray, then it seems to me the DVD/Blu-ray combo pack is a no-brainer. At that point, a Digital Copy is a luxury upgrade indulgence; get it, don't get it.

As for store exclusives, the good news is that they don't generally last all that long (with the notable exception of Walmart). There was a time when exclusives regularly included bonus content, but these days it's almost all packaging variations (Steelbooks, Target's transforming cases) or pack-ins (Best Buy's mini-busts). I can appreciate that these variants might at first glance appear to add to the total of choices before you, but once you decide on a format, it's like choosing the color car you want.

I consider myself an educated consumer, at least in terms of DVD/Blu-Ray......but I feel AWFUL for those parents and grandparents who were told to go out and buy Inception as a gift. They must be so confused
At least they're not being presented with a choice of Full Screen anymore, lessening the chances that they'll completely screw it up. My rule of thumb is that if you don't properly understand the nature of the gift you're giving then either 1) you're not paying enough attention to the recipient to understand what it actually is that he or she wants or 2) it may be better for you to surrender and just hand over a gift card. Seriously, if a grown damn person can't be bothered to ask, "Which one of these four or five things is it that Little Johnny wants?" then I don't think concurrent formats and packaging variants are the biggest problem.
Old 12-18-10, 09:07 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

Can't speak to Blu-ray but as far as DVD is concerned, I appreciate that they have the single disc versions for the masses while offering a 2 or 3 disc Special Editiion (often Extended Versions) for people like me, and versions with toys for the people who like to collect them. The only ones I don't understand are the DVD/Blu-ray double packs. I mean you either have a DVD player or you have a Blu-ray player, and even if you do have both, wouldn't you be in the process of transitioning to Blu-ray, so why would you want a DVD if you're transitioning to Blu-ray? I agree that some of them get a bit ridiculous, but what individual store has all versions? None. And very few carry the 2/3 disc Special Editions for very long. I know, it's a marketing ploy, but it does give each person a choice based on how much money they're prepared to spend.

Just my .02 cents worth, -kd5-
Old 12-18-10, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by kd5
Can't speak to Blu-ray but as far as DVD is concerned, I appreciate that they have the single disc versions for the masses while offering a 2 or 3 disc Special Editiion (often Extended Versions) for people like me, and versions with toys for the people who like to collect them. The only ones I don't understand are the DVD/Blu-ray double packs. I mean you either have a DVD player or you have a Blu-ray player, and even if you do have both, wouldn't you be in the process of transitioning to Blu-ray, so why would you want a DVD if you're transitioning to Blu-ray? I agree that some of them get a bit ridiculous, but what individual store has all versions? None. And very few carry the 2/3 disc Special Editions for very long. I know, it's a marketing ploy, but it does give each person a choice based on how much money they're prepared to spend.

Just my .02 cents worth, -kd5-
I liked the combo packs just for the simple fact that when I didn't have a Blu-Ray player, I could still watch the movie on DVD immediately knowing I was eventually going to get a Blu-Ray Player and it made things easier. The combo pack was usually only 5 to 8 dollars more than the DVD and was just nice knowing I had the Blu-Ray when I got to the point of actually being able to watch it.
Old 12-18-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ Agreed, and I would also add that combo packs are handy if you don't have a BR player in every room, or if your kids want to watch the DVD in the car.
Old 12-19-10, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
/\ Agreed, and I would also add that combo packs are handy if you don't have a BR player in every room, or if your kids want to watch the DVD in the car.
This is very true. I know Blu is getting more popular, but it will never reach the penetration that DVD achieved, and as streaming and other outlets take over, that will never change. I may have a BR player in my living room and in my bedroom, but maybe not in my offfice, so the DVD disc comes in handy there. Plus, when I visit my 80-year old Mom and Dad, they probably don't have a Blu-Ray player so how else will I get to show them Vampire Circus on a Saturday night? These combo-packs are actually quite a brilliant idea for a lot of us.
Old 12-19-10, 01:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
At least they're not being presented with a choice of Full Screen anymore.
A-men!
Old 12-19-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebelphoenix

Despicable Me is a better example than Inception for number of SKUs and for the grandparents.

I agree it's tough for the consumer, but don't people also complain about having to buy a combo when they just want a Blu-ray? Should Despicable Me eliminate the two-disc DVD like Warner seems to have done? Store exclusives are another matter--it seems the real issue is whether there should be multiple releases per format (1 disc vs 2 discs). I myself like the combos for reasons already stated.

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
You should check out a movie called "Army Of Darkness".
That's the kind of thing I thought this thread was going to talk about
Old 12-20-10, 03:48 AM

I don't mind there being a dvd release and a blu-ray/dvd combo release but the thing that gets to me is when they start putting out multiple versions from the very beginning. Extended, Unrated, Director's or Collector's editions along with the standard version/single disc.

I personally am turned off to buying a new movie on release in fear that shortly after a new version will come out. If it's something I've already seen in theaters or can wait to see I'd rather wait a couple months to get the movie for less than half the original price and take it off the hands of a forum member who no longer wants it.
Old 12-20-10, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lucky13
I don't mind there being a dvd release and a blu-ray/dvd combo release but the thing that gets to me is when they start putting out multiple versions from the very beginning. Extended, Unrated, Director's or Collector's editions along with the standard version/single disc.
Unless you care about directorial intent, you're free to consider Extended/Unrated/Director's Cut synonymous as they all generally refer to a version of a movie that includes footage cut from the theatrical release. You won't have a movie with an Extended, Unrated and Director's Cut releases; it's either theatrical or one of those other terms.

As for "Collector's Edition," that often means nothing, as it's regularly attached to movies where there's just one release. If there are, in fact, two releases and one is marked as such, it just means there's extra bonus content not found on the other release. If you care about behind-the-scenes promos, get that version. If you don't care about that stuff, then skip 'em. It's that easy.

I think you're making more out of this than there really is. You sound a bit like a weak Jerry Seinfeld stand-up bit, to be honest. "What's with all the different DVD releases for the same movie?!" (Obviously, the voice rises through the last three words, each more emphasized than the previous.)
Old 12-20-10, 06:24 AM
Banned

Well, the 3D version is completely pointless. It's just a fad and won't last. As for the dvd, blu-ray, and combo packs, that's completely pointless, too. If you have a blu-ray player, it plays dvd, too. So, it's stupid to have both dvd and blu-ray. If they would just put blu-ray players in cars, then you wouldn't even need the dvd....just the blu-ray.
Old 12-20-10, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Well, the 3D version is completely pointless. It's just a fad and won't last. As for the dvd, blu-ray, and combo packs, that's completely pointless, too. If you have a blu-ray player, it plays dvd, too. So, it's stupid to have both dvd and blu-ray. If they would just put blu-ray players in cars, then you wouldn't even need the dvd....just the blu-ray.
I'm pretty sure the studios and manufacturers who've sunk millions into 3D technology don't believe it's a "ad€ It may prove to be one, but to suggest that releasing a 3D Blu-ray is "pointless" while they're actively trying to get the format to take hold is flat-out wrong. It would be pointless if they didn't have 3D Blu's for at-home viewers to watch.

And, apparently, we're going to have to have this conversation EVERY TIME a comment about combo packs arises: Your Blu-ray player will play DVDs, but your DVD players won't play your Blu-ray Discs. Good luck taking it with you to watch with friends if they don't have a Blu-ray player. Blu drives aren't standard yet on new computers, either. For most families, there is one Blu-ray player in the home, connected to the family TV, but other DVD players throughout the home. And while I personally am horrified by TVs in cars, even if they were all equipped with Blu-ray players that doesn't put one in every pre-existing car, does it?

Just because this may not describe your personal situation does not entitle you to dismiss it is "pointless."
Old 12-20-10, 08:21 AM

As for store exclusives, the good news is that they don't generally last all that long ...
I have to say I am really ticked that Target is getting the exclusive Blu/DVD combo of A-Team. I can handle a very limited window of exclusivity it means we will get titles that might not otherwise hit the market, but to make a combo pack exclusive to a store is just bad business.
Old 12-20-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

What pisses me off is that despite having 3-4 versions of a certain movie, a so called "Special/Collector's Edition" is a former shell of what that title used to mean years ago.

But hey, at least no more foolscreen releases!
Old 12-20-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
While it might be great for movie buffs, I feel it can really alienate the casual dvd buyer.
I feel sorry for people like xage who collects certain movies and have to buy 1 of each.
Old 12-20-10, 05:37 PM

Unless you care about directorial intent, you're free to consider Extended/Unrated/Director's Cut synonymous as they all generally refer to a version of a movie that includes footage cut from the theatrical release. You won't have a movie with an Extended, Unrated and Director's Cut releases; it's either theatrical or one of those other terms.

As for "Collector's Edition," that often means nothing, as it's regularly attached to movies where there's just one release. If there are, in fact, two releases and one is marked as such, it just means there's extra bonus content not found on the other release. If you care about behind-the-scenes promos, get that version. If you don't care about that stuff, then skip 'em. It's that easy.

I think you're making more out of this than there really is. You sound a bit like a weak Jerry Seinfeld stand-up bit, to be honest. "What's with all the different DVD releases for the same movie?!" (Obviously, the voice rises through the last three words, each more emphasized than the previous.)
What are you talking about? Yes you will have a movie with multiple versions. Salt is a recent perfect example with Theatrical, Extended, and Director's Cuts. Maybe you're confused like I'm ripping the fact that there are multiple versions of movies. No I'm ripping the fact that they will release these versions separately or in as many different packages as they possibly can.

Avatar (Original Theatrical Edition)
Avatar (Two-Disc Original Theatrical Edition Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
Avatar (Three-Disc Extended Collector's Edition)
Avatar (Three-Disc Extended Collector's Edition + BD-Live) [Blu-ray]...

That's two versions right there depending on how you look at it which is understandable but James Cameron has said he intends to release more versions in the future! I don't want to buy the "Three-Disc Extended Collector's Edition" then six months later have a "Four-Disc Extended Unrated Collector's Ultimate Edition" come out. Get my point?

I'm not making more out of anything I'm simply stating something I don't like. You don't need to explain to me what different versions mean. You even said yourself that "Collector's Edition often means nothing" and that's my point exactly, it means nothing so why market it as something? To be honest it's their loss because most parents/relatives of kids will just pick up a standard DVD and be done with it.

And to respond to the op - I don't think the industry is confused on how to market the transition because I don't feel there will ever be a transition from DVD to Blu-ray. DVD will be around till the disc format is dead. Eventually I feel they are going to need to combine everything into two packages. A dvd release and then a 3D/Blu/DVD/Digi pack. Right now they are just trying to milk everything they can out of the DVD/Blu-ray/3D.
Old 12-20-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

it can be confusing sometimes......specially when stores have unique editions, we have whole discussions comparing features, slipcovers, dimensions, weight, the amount of stickers on the box and whatnot
Old 12-20-10, 06:16 PM

I'm taking a course in Comparative DVD Shopping after work this week
Old 12-20-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lucky13
What are you talking about? Yes you will have a movie with multiple versions. Salt is a recent perfect example with Theatrical, Extended, and Director's Cuts.
I just ran a search and I can find two versions on DVD: Theatrical Edition and Deluxe Unrated (no "Director's Cuts" version exists). On Blu-ray, the movie is only getting a Deluxe Unrated release. That's a total of three choices covering two cuts and two formats.

Maybe you're confused like I'm ripping the fact that there are multiple versions of movies. No I'm ripping the fact that they will release these versions separately or in as many different packages as they possibly can.

Avatar (Original Theatrical Edition)
Avatar (Two-Disc Original Theatrical Edition Blu-ray/DVD Combo)
Avatar (Three-Disc Extended Collector's Edition)
Avatar (Three-Disc Extended Collector's Edition + BD-Live) [Blu-ray]...

That's two versions right there depending on how you look at it which is understandable but James Cameron has said he intends to release more versions in the future! I don't want to buy the "Three-Disc Extended Collector's Edition" then six months later have a "Four-Disc Extended Unrated Collector's Ultimate Edition" come out. Get my point?
If I'm confused, it's how you started by citing multiple releases of Salt, but now you're listing various Avatar releases. I'll play along anyway. Avatar made an absolute ton of money. James Cameron shot an obscene amount of footage both for and about the movie. There are, to date, only two released cuts: original theatrical and expanded, re-release theatrical. Everything else you've cited is about either formats (DVD, Blu-ray, DVD & Blu-ray) or added bonus content.

We've already established why there is a valid reason for studios to support various formats. Your argument really comes down to being either confused by or angry about extra bonus content from one edition to the next. Unless you're a bonus features junkie, there's no reason to worry. Based on the way you seem overwhelmed by the mere existence of these releases, I suspect you're a movie-only kinda guy. Get that version, ignore the rest and get on with your day. You'll live a much happier life that way.

I'm not making more out of anything I'm simply stating something I don't like. You don't need to explain to me what different versions mean. You even said yourself that "Collector's Edition often means nothing" and that's my point exactly, it means nothing so why market it as something? To be honest it's their loss because most parents/relatives of kids will just pick up a standard DVD and be done with it.
I agreed that "Collector's Edition" is superfluous on a release when there's only one version on the market. If, however, there is a choice between a "standard" version and another version, then there is a reason for the term "Collector's Edition" on the version with the additional content.

And to respond to the op - I don't think the industry is confused on how to market the transition because I don't feel there will ever be a transition from DVD to Blu-ray. DVD will be around till the disc format is dead. Eventually I feel they are going to need to combine everything into two packages. A dvd release and then a 3D/Blu/DVD/Digi pack. Right now they are just trying to milk everything they can out of the DVD/Blu-ray/3D.
I take issue with the use of the term, "milk." It suggests that the studios and manufacturers are somehow operating unreasonably when they are, in fact, doing what they ought to do in a capitalist economy. It's their job to create products and content for the rest of us to buy. Other than not confusing you and the OP, what possible reason would there be for them to not create SD, HD and 3D versions of movies?
Old 12-21-10, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ran a search and I can find two versions on DVD: Theatrical Edition and Deluxe Unrated (no "Director's Cuts" version exists). On Blu-ray, the movie is only getting a Deluxe Unrated release. That's a total of three choices covering two cuts and two formats.
Actually a directors cut of Salt does exist. All three versions of the film are on the 'deluxe unrated' edition.
http://www.amazon.com/Salt-Deluxe-Un...2917737&sr=8-1

Here is a comparison between the theatrical and extended version,+ a run down of the differences in the three versions. Separate comparisons for the other versions are also on the website, so just search for the film.

http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=54639

It seems they couldn't make up there mind on where to go with the film, since each version from the report shows they all have footage exclusive to their version, and all have different endings. So that does make it confusing as to which version you should watch when viewing since one version may be better than another. Of course to keep things simple,it might be best to begin with the theatrical cut, then check out the other versions if you care to. But not everyone has time to view every version available of a film, so making the choice on the 'best' version to view can be tough if too many different cuts exist.
Old 12-21-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Actually a directors cut of Salt does exist. All three versions of the film are on the 'deluxe unrated' edition.
http://www.amazon.com/Salt-Deluxe-Un...2917737&sr=8-1

Here is a comparison between the theatrical and extended version,+ a run down of the differences in the three versions. Separate comparisons for the other versions are also on the website, so just search for the film.

http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=54639

It seems they couldn't make up there mind on where to go with the film, since each version from the report shows they all have footage exclusive to their version, and all have different endings. So that does make it confusing as to which version you should watch when viewing since one version may be better than another. Of course to keep things simple,it might be best to begin with the theatrical cut, then check out the other versions if you care to. But not everyone has time to view every version available of a film, so making the choice on the 'best' version to view can be tough if too many different cuts exist.
I stand corrected. However, it appears to me that there are still only the three releases from which to choose (DVD Theatrical, DVD Extended and Blu-ray Extended). I checked Amazon's UK site since the article you linked referred to PAL editions, and there I can only find two of the three releases; I couldn't find a PAL DVD Theatrical. So even though there are three different cuts of the film, there still aren't as many purchase choices as Lucky13 suggested were out there to overwhelm the average consumer.
Old 12-21-10, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Yep, I buy combos of all the kids' movies and then can leave a copy at the grandparent's house.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.