DVD Talk Legend

Received 605 Likes on 436 Posts
Re: Giallo by Argento sale Blocked??

Can't just rent then keep?
Old 12-28-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I watched this one yesterday. It wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but I've certainly seen better. Some of the aspects of Brody's character were interesting, but they seemed to get pushed to the back-burner.

There are still lots of copies up on eBay, if anyone is really looking to purchase this. There's not much of a demand for it, so it can be had fairly cheap still. One brand new copy sold for $28.99. Used copies have ranged from $4.22 - $14.99.
Old 12-28-10, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I snagged a used but mint condition one off of half.com for $9.99. Looks like they are still out there cheap, but grab one now if you want it...
Old 12-29-10, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jediturtle
I snagged a used but mint condition one off of half.com for $9.99. Looks like they are still out there cheap, but grab one now if you want it...
Thanks for the heads up. I just did the same (half.com). I'm planning to meet Dario in Indy March '11. I'm thinking he probably won't want to sign this one .
Old 12-29-10, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVDSRFUN
I'm planning to meet Dario in Indy March '11. I'm thinking he probably won't want to sign this one .
What will he be doing there? I may be interested in taking a drive...
Old 12-29-10, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by clintilona
What will he be doing there? I may be interested in taking a drive...
He's headlining the Horror Hound Weekend convention 3/25-3/27; should be fun!
Old 12-30-10, 08:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

from fearnet:

Last month we reported to you that Adrien Brody was suing the company behind Dario Argento's latest film, Giallo. The Oscar-winning actor appeared in the film, but claims he was not paid in full for his performance. So Brody took the producers to court. More after the break.

Brody claims to be owed $640,000 on the project. He sued to prevent the sale and distribution of Giallo stateside. He didn't win that battle; instead, a judge ordered that Brody's name and likeness cannot be used to sell the DVDs until he is paid in full. This includes adverts and the DVD box - on which there are two pictures of Brody. Ironically, Brody's lawsuit probably gave Argento more free press than the director has had in the last decade.

so why wasn't Brody paid in full? aren't actors usually paid in full prior to the release of the film?
Old 12-30-10, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by DVDSRFUN
Thanks for the heads up. I just did the same (half.com). I'm planning to meet Dario in Indy March '11. I'm thinking he probably won't want to sign this one .
I'm going to HHW too... what are you getting Argento to sign?

I'm thinking of the suspiria poster from www.giantsumo.com (since there is a suspiria reunion) and the original italian trauma poster I have. Also thought about my European subway poster of Stendhal, but that thing is huge so I'm kinda iffy on even trying to take it to Indy.
Old 12-30-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you guys are as huge Argento nuts as I am you're going to be really happy meeting him. He was so nice and gracious when I got to meet him in March. His English is decent for a convo, I think he speaks better than comprehending it. I was a nervous fanboy when I got the sig on my Suspiria poster, but got to ask him a question about Cat O' Nine Tails during his q&a. He talked for a good 5 or 6 minutes on my question. Couldn't have been happier
Old 12-31-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm kinda torn on this. I'd like to snag a copy while I can, because I'm an Argento fan, but I'm of the opinion that his later stuff hasn't been any good, and I really haven't heard anything about Giallo to dispute that.

Aw hell, I'll probably get it anyway...
Old 12-31-10, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I'm kinda torn on this. I'd like to snag a copy while I can, because I'm an Argento fan, but I'm of the opinion that his later stuff hasn't been any good, and I really haven't heard anything about Giallo to dispute that.

Aw hell, I'll probably get it anyway...

Everyone seemed to hate it... I enjoyed it. Pretty common of most modern day Argento, I guess.
Old 01-01-11, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ThePhantomGoat
I'm going to HHW too... what are you getting Argento to sign?

I'm thinking of the suspiria poster from giantsumo (since there is a suspiria reunion) and the original italian trauma poster I have. Also thought about my European subway poster of Stendhal, but that thing is huge so I'm kinda iffy on even trying to take it to Indy.
That's a cool poster. I'm going to bring my Profondo Argento book (FABPress) and Suspiria (3 disc LE) for sure. I'll probably see if he has any nice mini posters or pictures at his table, too.
Old 01-01-11, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
If you guys are as huge Argento nuts as I am you're going to be really happy meeting him. He was so nice and gracious when I got to meet him in March. His English is decent for a convo, I think he speaks better than comprehending it. I was a nervous fanboy when I got the sig on my Suspiria poster, but got to ask him a question about Cat O' Nine Tails during his q&a. He talked for a good 5 or 6 minutes on my question. Couldn't have been happier
That's great to hear! I've been looking forward to meeting him for a long time, but couldn't make it all the way out to the East coast for his prior conventions.