Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (Available Burn-On-Demand From Amazon)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (Available Burn-On-Demand From Amazon)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts
Re: The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (Available Burn-On-Demand From Amazon)

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov
It was 90 minutes throughout the 70's as well, when I was watching every single show if I could. The 60 minute shows didn't come until the very end of Carson's run.

This is a joke, of course. The could make untold millions if they released all episodes, in full, through iTunes at $1.99 a pop. Zero distribution costs for Carson productions. Why this is so difficult to understand is beyond me. I guess they are waiting until all Johnny Carson fans die off or are too old to care before they release them.
Except for the fact that it would still be hard to release full episodes most likely due to rights issues. Certain stars and music acts would still probably need to be cut from the episodes.
Old 01-30-11, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (Available Burn-On-Demand From Amazon)

What I've read when it was first made known that all the surviving Johnny Carson Tonight Shows were didgitized for archiving, that eventually the complete shows will be available to the general public to view online. Right now there is a section on Johnnycarson.com for leasing clips for registered Producers and such only, where they can search sections from a complete show and pay a license fee dependant on what part & how much they want to use. Since I have a production company, I did register, and sure enough, complete shows are there with openings, commercials and all (with a watermark naturally), save for any shows that only survive in part, then that is all that would be up there for those particular broadcasts. So hopefully one day, and hopefully within our lifetime, this will happen where we can see existing shows We'll just have to see how it plays out.