Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Tron: where in the world can I find it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Tron: where in the world can I find it?

Sure, it's dated compared to Avatar and other highly advanced CGI movies, but I think it holds up well. Of course, I am that 40 year old guy who loved the movie as a kid. But I don't know...we threw it in at work one time on the HDTV there (just an upconvert of the DVD, obviously) and it went over well. No laughing and pointing out the dated effects.

Like somebody said earlier, there's more modern movies with clunkier looking CGI effects than Tron.
Old 11-19-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for this thread. I love the movie but just sold my copy and will happily re-buy sometime in the next year I'm sure.
Old 11-20-10, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I purchased the 20th Anniversary DVD at Sam Goody's the week it was released (for about $30 ). I watched it once, then it sat on my shelf for a couple years. When I finally decided to watch it again, the movie wouldn't even play. The disc was flawless, but it was like the content had been wiped out. I don't know if it was DVD rot, but it's the only time I've ever experienced this. I ended up throwing my copy in the garbage, but now I wish I had tried contacting the disc replacement program Disney had going. Or, I could have just tried boiling the damn thing.

Still, this is a movie I would definitely have upgraded to BD anyway. I would have parted with the DVD eventually, it just sucks I can't watch it again before the sequel comes out.
Old 11-20-10, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this for pretty cheap earlier this year at Best Buy. I'm surprised it has jumped up in value so quickly.
Old 11-21-10, 12:14 AM

In Canada this can be had through Future Shop for $5.99.

It's out of stock now, but they always get more stock in. (Anytime it shows as "will ship when available" they always end up finding more stock)

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...e9dfa67d5fen02
Old 11-21-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got the 20th Anniversary Edition too. I think I paid about $14 for it. Had no idea that it became somewhat valuable.
Old 11-21-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I got around to watching it this weekend. Let's just say I wasn't overly impressed -- dated graphics / special effects aside, the dialogue and improbably breaking and entering of a major corporation was campy at best. Also, having ANY employee walk directly into a VP's office to talk logistics is laughable. I know that's nitpicky but it's the kind of stuff that made me roll my eyes in addition to the dated graphics
Old 11-21-10, 10:05 PM

You probably missed it, but Walter was one of ENCOM's original programmers (coding the prototype of the MCP) and was at one time Dillinger's superior at the company. As for breaking in, difficult - yes, but not impossible. Lora broke into her own lab using her own credentials, not that far fetched - and this was way before September 11th. As for the FX, sure they look old, they are over 28 years old. Ten years from now Avatar is gonna look like a Hanna-Barbera cartoon. But the visuals are far from dated, a more correct word is 'groundbreaking.' I will admit the dialogue is hokey (and the guard jumping off the solar sailor without even engaging TRON?!?) but that's 'charm.'
Old 11-22-10, 06:19 AM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I watched it once, then it sat on my shelf for a couple years. When I finally decided to watch it again, the movie wouldn't even play. The disc was flawless, but it was like the content had been wiped out. I don't know if it was DVD rot, but it's the only time I've ever experienced this.
End of line.
Old 11-23-10, 01:16 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Also, having ANY employee walk directly into a VP's office to talk logistics is laughable. I know that's nitpicky but it's the kind of stuff that made me roll my eyes in addition to the dated graphics
Yeah, I think you missed it. Walter started the company, but was now just one of its top engineers. I'm sure they talk often, although they clearly don't get along. I know a guy who founded a semi-conductor company, but his title is VP of Design; he hired a CEO, CFO, President, etc. Tech guys don't know business.

Now Dilinger's hiring is a lot more complicated than that, but you seem to not fully grasp the complexity of the relationship.

But this is the problem with the movie (as much as I love it). It has a whole world to establish: Characters, their relationships to one another, the rules of the user/computer universes, the dynamics of ENCOM, who started it, who grew it, and who took it over, etc. All the while more than half of the audience wants to just get to the computer world, see the special effects and action, and move on to the next thing. The first 20 minutes are filled with racingly fast (and glossed over) diaglogue that moves so fast to fill in so much detail, that even interested viewers are like "what happened to who?"
Old 11-23-10, 01:21 PM

The above comment is priceless. END OF LINE. I agree that just because its dated doesnt mean its bad. Like the above said...give avatar a few years, then well see whats what.
Old 11-23-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still like Tron, Avatar is a far poorer movie.
Old 11-23-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's just say I wasn't overly impressed -- dated graphics / special effects aside, the dialogue and improbably breaking and entering of a major corporation was campy at best.
This was a goofy Disney movie released in 1982. If you were the target audience at that time (a "tween" boy into early video games and PCs), it would have been jaw-dropping. I know -- because I was the target audience back then.

The FX, while obviously dated, were revolutionary at the time and pushed the industry forward.

Yeah, it's dated now. Which is one of the main reasons why it is not in-print on DVD or Blu-ray. Disney doesn't want to scare off today's tweens... they want their money for the new sequel. THEN, once they're enthralled with Tron Legacy, they'll get them to spend $$$ to buy the original.

Personally, even putting my obvious nostalgia behind, I think the movie still holds up. It's fun and very watchable. And the FX fit the story -- they are *supposed* to represent the insides of an circa-1980 computer system. The dated look is appropriate. Just as the modern look to the new film is appropriate for that system 28 years later.
Old 11-23-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I've never seen Tron. Not sure why, but it I haven't. So now with the new movie coming out next month, I'd like to catch up. One problem: you can't find the DVD to rent ANYWHERE and the cheapest I've found to buy it is $35!

I was shocked that Netflix doesn't carry it let alone stream it. Any suggestions as to where I could rent / buy it for a reasonable price? I've looked on many DVD sites as well as Ebay already.

Thanks.
Going around the $55-60+ range now on Ebay.

Yikes
Old 11-23-10, 06:20 PM

If Tron is "dated" then I wish more films were "dated" because it's still great.
Old 11-23-10, 06:30 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Weeeeell....I think I'm going to have to rewatch this over the weekend and then sell it for $60 bucks. Paid $10 for it back in March...not bad. There's got to be a new edition in the works....
Old 11-23-10, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
Weeeeell....I think I'm going to have to rewatch this over the weekend and then sell it for $60 bucks. Paid $10 for it back in March...not bad. There's got to be a new edition in the works....
No kidding right.. I just put my copy on ebay.. The auction ends on monday.. so I'll be watching the movie this weekend before it ships out.
Old 11-23-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

I had no idea this was oop. Just sold my sealed copy on Amazon for $95....I'll play the odds that it will be released again on dvd/Blu-ray.
Old 11-24-10, 09:28 AM

Anyone heard if this will be broadcast on TV anytime soon? Or is Disney able to hold that off as well. TVGuide.com says it's not going to broadcast in the next 14 days at least.
Old 11-24-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ripped it from my 20th anniversary DVD to my Dell Streak android device. Love being able to pull up the light cycle sequence whenever I want!
Old 11-24-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
Anyone heard if this will be broadcast on TV anytime soon? Or is Disney able to hold that off as well. TVGuide.com says it's not going to broadcast in the next 14 days at least.
HDNet Movies played it over the summer (Still have it on my DVR), but I haven't seen them reair it since.
Old 11-24-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I guess I shouldn't have sold it for $45 a couple of weeks ago, it just keeps getting higher.
Old 11-24-10, 06:07 PM

I have the original DVD and the Special Edition DVD. Can't be bothered to sell either of them though.
Old 11-25-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by porieux
I have the original DVD and the Special Edition DVD. Can't be bothered to sell either of them though.
I have the special edition DVD. And the collector in me wants to have the original because I like the packaging and also part of me wonders if all the bonus features will survive to the next edition.

And as long as I have it I will be unlikely to upgrade to Blu-Ray on this. The upconvert looks great and this isn't a movie that commands several repeat viewings. I've probably only watched it two or three times since I had it.
Old 11-26-10, 12:53 AM

If it comes out on Blu-Ray I will probably rent it on Netflix and watch it that way, LOL.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.