Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

^ I didn't want to know that yet! Spoilers, please!
Old 10-10-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've got 3 zombie films left that I could use for the challenge, the original Night of the Living Dead, the original Dawn of the Dead, and of course, who can forget, Shaun of the Dead.
Speaking of which, I noticed a few have already caught the new Elvira's Movie Macabre. So are the films cut up pretty badly? That was always my major gripe with MonsterVision - TNT literally butchered them. If that's the case, I'll probably just end up fast forwarding to the Elvira bits and watch the NOTLD DVD afterward.
Old 10-10-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
^ I didn't want to know that yet! Spoilers, please!
My bad. Spoiler tags added.
Old 10-10-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I watched that one again for the challenge simply because I didn't remember too much about it. While FS, my copy actually looks pretty good considering it's on a PD release with 2 other Christopher Lee films (which I've managed to obtain "official" and excellent releases for). I truly didn't notice much cropping on it, but then the original was 1.66/1 so going to 1.33/1 doesn't remove much or require much, if any, pan/scan to keep things in view. In spite of that it's quite good "lost evil beast" type story and deserves a remaster job. It's very much is in keeping with the Hammer films of the era and could easily be mistaken for one.
It wasn't the cropping that was much of a problem; it was the actual quality of the image. For instance, a lot of scenes in the dark have an very grainy, brown look to them, like when you find old photographs that were shot under poor conditions and then haven't aged well since. There were a few instances where the image would "jump" from one instant to the next; Christopher Lee crossed a room in the blink of an eye in one instance. Things like that.

So I'd give the film itself 4 stars for its originality and for doing a pretty good job ratcheting up the intrigue with just about every scene, and the DVD would get 1 star because it's a very mediocre presentation.
Old 10-10-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a bunch of movies in yesterday with some friends and spent today watching football. I'll get a couple in later tonight to keep the pace up. I think I'll go with a Hammer double feature of The Gorgon and Curse of the Mummy's Tomb.
Old 10-10-10, 03:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I must own at least 50 Zombie films, but still perused Netflix to see what was available to stream. Holy cow are there a lot of zombie films out there. I was joking when I said thousands before, but perhaps there really are 2,000 or more zombie films.

Think I'll finally watch Pontypool sometime tonight.
Old 10-10-10, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Holy cow are there a lot of zombie films out there. I was joking when I said thousands before, but perhaps there really are 2,000 or more zombie films.

Think I'll finally watch Pontypool sometime tonight.
Yes, zombie films have become a veritable plague upon the horror genre that sort of mirrors the threat of zombies themselves. Not many think for themselves and are usually the same old crap. It bugs me almost as much as the vampire genre. From what I hear, Pontypool is one of the few recent ones really worth checking out.

After a pretty horrible ordeal, I was able to bring my wife home from the hospital where she's doing really good so far. She'll probably need a few weeks to fully recover but she seems to be handling it better than most others from what the doctors say.

I had been hoping to watch a horror movie but my 16 month old son and my mother seem to have most of the control of the tv. I did watch the last half hour of Child's Play but I can't count that as a full movie. We did see a commercial for Killer Klowns which made my son laugh so I put the movie on and he really enjoyed it. One of the few live action movies he's been able to get into so far.

My mother's still going to be here for another week to help us out with him so it makes it hard watching the films I really want to see when she's around. Something tells me Fulci films wouldn't fly so far. I'm glad my family's doing really good but part of me's a little bummed about the how things are going October. I figured the one advantage to being unemployed was that I'd be able to really enjoy this month but it's not panning out, and I'm sure I'll be working next year so it won't be the same. Besides the horror challenge, it's also our favorite month because of the season and everything else involved with the holiday. Our wedding anniversary is even on Halloween so we usually go all out but this year seems to be scuttled.

Oh well, maybe I can get some movies in when my mom falls asleep.
Old 10-10-10, 04:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by dcrw6
Yes, zombie films have become a veritable plague upon the horror genre that sort of mirrors the threat of zombies themselves. Not many think for themselves and are usually the same old crap. It bugs me almost as much as the vampire genre. From what I hear, Pontypool is one of the few recent ones really worth checking out.
I tend to stay a few years behind on the current trends and films, so finding all the newer films in the zombie list was surprising.

Watching Pontypool right now and I think I'm going to love it. Well, too early to say I guess, but the set-up is excellent so far.
After a pretty horrible ordeal, I was able to bring my wife home from the hospital where she's doing really good so far. She'll probably need a few weeks to fully recover but she seems to be handling it better than most others from what the doctors say.
Glad things are going as well as can be expected, and think you deserve a bonus point for each day of post-surgery you have to go through.
Something tells me Fulci films wouldn't fly so far.
Next in my queue is The Beyond. I expect to be disturbed.
I'm glad my family's doing really good but part of me's a little bummed about the how things are going October. I figured the one advantage to being unemployed was that I'd be able to really enjoy this month but it's not panning out, and I'm sure I'll be working next year so it won't be the same. Besides the horror challenge, it's also our favorite month because of the season and everything else involved with the holiday.
I'm lucky in that I'm off much of this month, and have no current girlfriends or other distractions. Also blessed with a job where I can watch DVDs all day. I've never averaged more than 8 hours a day for a Challenge, but I'm on pace to break that this month. OCD is firmly taking hold.
Old 10-10-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Wstched Pontypool during last years challenge and loved it. Of course, it helped that I've actually been there.

Going to the THEATRE tonight to watch a print of the Shinning, one of my favorite films not just of the genre but of all time. Stephen King is on crack to think this wasn't up to his book.
Old 10-10-10, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
Has anyone ever seen Rock 'n' Roll Nightmare? I just watched it last night, and I'm stunned.
I had intended to watch this during the challenge, but I forgot to knock it down on my Netflix queue, so I wound up watching it a week before. Man, I never read up on this one, so I just assumed it was going to be like Black Roses or Trick Or Treat (both of which I kinda love). It was definitely a WTF experience. It's awful, real awful, but I could see watching it with others for some laughs.
Old 10-10-10, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Reaper
It (ed: Rock 'N' Roll Nightmare) was definitely a WTF experience. It's awful, real awful, but I could see watching it with others for some laughs.
At least it was well made (technical wise, it got the basics right), which is more than can be said about the sequal, Intercessor: Another Rock 'N' Roll Nightmare. That was pretty tough to get through.

The original also has a great commentary track.
Old 10-10-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
etale@sunflower seems to be adding to the posts in the lists thread still. Anyone get anywhere with the PMs?
Originally Posted by Numes
I never heard back from them on my PM to them. I did notice that one of the posts was edited, but I'm not sure what was changed. Anyone else want to try? Maybe point them to this thread so we can help them out?

The other option would be to reply directly to them in the list thread and then delete your own post at a later time once they seem to acknowledge. Once again, maybe steer them to this thread?
I'll give it a try.
Good luck with that.
It looks like Trevor got through to him. He's combined and cleaned up most of the mess (he still has a stray day and his checklist by itself in another post at this time). The funny thing is, he should've known better; I clicked on find more posts and he had a list last year.
Old 10-10-10, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Woo! I just hit 30 films so far in the Challenge. I wasn't at this point until October 15th last year.

Definitely on track to beat my total last year of 37
Old 10-10-10, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just got done with my 31st film - might try to squeeze in this short for a wildcard before i call it a night...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vaiv7kAXBzM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vaiv7kAXBzM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-10-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

After taking a lot of chances this challenge on movies that have turned out to be not so good, I have decided to go with some that I knew I went enjoy. I'm happy to say Repulsion and Carnival of Souls certainly upped the quality. Now I'm going with Mario Bava's Shock, another first-time viewing.
Old 10-10-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dimension X
It looks like Trevor got through to him. He's combined and cleaned up most of the mess (he still has a stray day and his checklist by itself in another post at this time). The funny thing is, he should've known better; I clicked on find more posts and he had a list last year.
That's kinda funny. I guess Trevor was about a year late in welcoming him to the forum. Who knew, though?
Old 10-10-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I crossed 30 films last night/this morning... I'm really happy at the amount I've gotten to view so far. I wasn't expecting this.

I just finished up Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, a 60s Hammer movie that I expected good things out of and got really middle of the road material. It definitely had its moments but the middle drags soooooo bad.

edit- Also I have 1 wildcard left of my 3, anyone have any suggestions for a short to watch? It doesn't matter which era its from.
Old 10-10-10, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
edit- Also I have 1 wildcard left of my 3, anyone have any suggestions for a short to watch? It doesn't matter which era its from.
http://myershousenc.com/judith.htm
Old 10-10-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Best wishes, dcrw6

I'm lucky in that I'm off much of this month, and have no current girlfriends or other distractions. Also blessed with a job where I can watch DVDs all day. I've never averaged more than 8 hours a day for a Challenge, but I'm on pace to break that this month. OCD is firmly taking hold.
Not even the distraction of attending NFL games, right, Trevor?
Old 10-10-10, 09:34 PM

I just watched Wasting Away and it was one of the most original zombie flicks I've seen in a long time.
Spoiler:
It was really cool to see the zombies point of view where they think they are normal and the humans are the "infected" ones.

Last edited by takingchase; 10-11-10 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-10-10, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
This looks very intriguing, and Halloween is one of my 2 favorite movies ever so it will definite get a watch at some point during the challenge. I've been trying to plan a mini short film marathon to equal up to 1 or 2 entries so any more recommendations are much appreciated!
Old 10-10-10, 09:43 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

On a roll so far this month and on target to beat my goal of 50. It took me 10 days and 30 entries (including tv episodes), but I finally saw my first '5 star' movie wt my first ever viewing of 'High Tension' - outstanding flick!
Old 10-10-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Gah. Today's viewings were on the icky side. Rape, bestiality, dead kids (3 of 'em!) and funky inbred dancin'. Need to find something more enlightening to close the show tonight...

Originally Posted by takingchase
I just watched Wasting Away and it was one of the most original zombie flicks I've seen in a long time. It was really cool to see the zombies point of view where they think they are normal and the humans are the "infected" ones.
Sounds interesting. Hopefully I've got enough room in the queue for this.
Old 10-10-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Gah. Today's viewings were on the icky side. Rape, bestiality, dead kids (3 of 'em!) and funky inbred dancin'. Need to find something more enlightening to close the show tonight...
What films did you watch?

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
On a roll so far this month and on target to beat my goal of 50. It took me 10 days and 30 entries (including tv episodes), but I finally saw my first '5 star' movie wt my first ever viewing of 'High Tension' - outstanding flick!
Love that film. I know a LOT of people hate that ending, but it doesn't bother me since everything that comes before it is amazing.
Old 10-11-10, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by takingchase
I just watched Wasting Away and it was one of the most original zombie flicks I've seen in a long time. It was really cool to see the zombies point of view where they think they are normal and the humans are the "infected" ones.
Sounds awesome but not avaliable on Netflix, what is the meaning of this?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.