Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sony introduces new Made on demand program with initial 100 movies

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Sony introduces new Made on demand program with initial 100 movies

out of that initial 100 titles, I would be willing to bet 25% don't even sell 100 copies over the next two years.
Old 09-13-10, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
And, what do you know? $20 per title. Big shock there. These studios need to drop these titles to at least $15, if not lower if they are to be taken seriously.
As long as a thread like this generates a number of replies that people are "in" for various mid-level titles at whatever price the studio wants, the studios are never going to release them at a lower price. It's very sad because Sony was releasing some quality boxed sets with a number of extras like the recent Kim Novak series, and hopefully if they still can gather a number of titles from one star or director, they will continue these releases. But MOD is the wave of the future for these second tier titles, and judging by the response of film buffs (who are the only audience for these disks), the studios have judged their market and the price point correctly.
Old 09-13-10, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
out of that initial 100 titles, I would be willing to bet 25% don't even sell 100 copies over the next two years.
You would probably be surprised what they sell. The reason the other studios are now jumping on the MOD bandwagon isn't because Warner Archive titles aren't selling; it's because they are selling, and for $20 a lot of the time.
Old 09-13-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
There is absolutely nothing wrong with MOD. I'm sick and tired of people complaining about it. There's NOTHING wrong with it. Other than Sony offering movies that no one's ever heard of before, it's an awesome idea. I just wish Sony would put out The Night That Panicked America, about the War Of The Worlds radio show.
Calm down. People have different opinions. I hate MOD and will not buy any but respect that for many it's a nice alternative.
Old 09-13-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

People complaining about the price should think, "Do I pay full price for any movie or do I get them when they're discounted?"

MOD movies are put on sale and have coupons just like other items. That's when you buy them. You don't have to buy them at full price.
Old 09-13-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
You would probably be surprised what they sell. The reason the other studios are now jumping on the MOD bandwagon isn't because Warner Archive titles aren't selling; it's because they are selling, and for $20 a lot of the time.
They are selling, of course, but when you have to pay someone to burn one at a time, print one disc at a time and package one disk & ship one disk at a time, there probably isn't a whole lot of profit from that $20 they get per title.

Perhaps some titles that are higher in demand and they may make 20 or 30 at a time.
Old 09-13-10, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by laserdogg
...and the end of my collecting obsession gets closer...

Can't get myself to buy these MOD, DVD-R or whatever they call them.

You're right, laserdogg, I just can't do it.
Old 09-13-10, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangerunner
They are selling, of course, but when you have to pay someone to burn one at a time, print one disc at a time and package one disk & ship one disk at a time, there probably isn't a whole lot of profit from that $20 they get per title.

Perhaps some titles that are higher in demand and they may make 20 or 30 at a time.
Actually, you'd be surprised just how profitable it is. I guess people just don't understand how these programs work. All the digital files and artwork are loaded onto a server. As an order comes in, a blank disc is grabbed and the appropriate files are burned onto it and a blank cover is grabbed and the appropriate art is printed. Then the thing gets packaged together and shipped out. The whole process is automated and the key is not how any one title is selling but rather how many total orders come through. They're just pushing discs through the system with little or no care as to what the actual title is that ultimately ends up on that disc. Since they've already done the digital transfer of the movie, the only overhead for a given title is the disc space it occupies on the server which is not even worth discussing. The point is, the production costs are pretty fixed on a per copy basis. Doesn't really matter if you sell one or one million copies of a particular title.
Old 09-13-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn, there are a few of those movies I would love to own. Especially A Study in Terror & Thieves. Shame about the shitty format.
Old 09-13-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To each his/her own...if MOD appeals to you great, but as for me, I wouldn't want a MOD/CreateSpace disc for any money...it just seems half-assed that's all.
Old 09-13-10, 06:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I placed an order today. I will post when I get and give the movie a look.
Old 09-13-10, 06:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rmw650
To each his/her own...if MOD appeals to you great, but as for me, I wouldn't want a MOD/CreateSpace disc for any money...it just seems half-assed that's all.
I think the thing is that most if not all of the titles will probably never see a real dvd release. There just isn't enough of a demand for the studio to waste the money to print up a decent run. This is probably going to be the closest you are going to get(in the U.S.) to an official release. I am giving it a try on one movie to test the quality.
Old 09-13-10, 06:54 PM

And I think that these very MOD titles that the studios can't be bothered with to release an actual DVD will be some of the first titles offered on streaming/download. I can't help shake the feeling that in a couple of years I'll be able to download the silly thing cheaper and simply burn my own disc. The beauty is, since it is MOD and they're not going to be running out of stock, there is absolutely no penalty in waiting.
Old 09-13-10, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
The beauty is, since it is MOD and they're not going to be running out of stock, there is absolutely no penalty in waiting.
One would think so but I wouldn't be surprised if a company doing this decided to just end the program entirely at some point.
Old 09-13-10, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
One would think so but I wouldn't be surprised if a company doing this decided to just end the program entirely at some point.
I don't disagree, but what do you think they'll be doing with all those digital files? They're not going to just let them sit on a server not making any money. Obviously they'll be offered up for streaming/download or whatever the next delivery system is. All the heavy lifting has already happened once the movie has been converted to digital. No...these things aren't going anywhere for some time to come.
Old 09-13-10, 08:22 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

What I like is these films in Warners archive and now Sony often end up on TCM with regularity. I just scroll through the schedule and record my wants. When Universal put Kitten with a whip in their amazon program, it hit TCM soon after and I got to record that.
Old 09-13-10, 08:39 PM
Zbu

I can't complain. If it's between this or having companies sit on their holdings and not bother at all, I'd take this. $20 seems steep but if they have sales, they might get the hint to lower their prices. How long did it take for Warner Archives to start their 10 for $100 promotions?
Old 09-14-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Actually, you'd be surprised just how profitable it is. I guess people just don't understand how these programs work. All the digital files and artwork are loaded onto a server. As an order comes in, a blank disc is grabbed and the appropriate files are burned onto it and a blank cover is grabbed and the appropriate art is printed. Then the thing gets packaged together and shipped out. The whole process is automated and the key is not how any one title is selling but rather how many total orders come through. They're just pushing discs through the system with little or no care as to what the actual title is that ultimately ends up on that disc. Since they've already done the digital transfer of the movie, the only overhead for a given title is the disc space it occupies on the server which is not even worth discussing. The point is, the production costs are pretty fixed on a per copy basis. Doesn't really matter if you sell one or one million copies of a particular title.
Sure it's profitable but the whole process of making one copy at a time is basically done by hand which is about 8 minutes to burn the disc, another few minutes the bring-up and print the disc artwork, package it, overwrap it etc.

They're paying someone to burn, print, package, wrap and ship that one single disc.

The studios make a lot more money pressing 10,000+ copies for less than a $1 each using a fully automated system and sending large batches to a few different distribution houses.

Of course these titles do not meet the demand of this volume. But you're right, they're still making some money or they wouldn't bother doing it. With downloading and streaming becoming the new format of choice it will be a cash cow as there won't be any labour involved.
Old 09-14-10, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Zbu
I can't complain. If it's between this or having companies sit on their holdings and not bother at all, I'd take this. $20 seems steep but if they have sales, they might get the hint to lower their prices. How long did it take for Warner Archives to start their 10 for $100 promotions?
Actually, Warner started with coupons and specials almost right out of the gate. The irony is, lately these deals have dried up. Looks like Warner has figured out that the type of buyer who is so desperate for this product that they will order burnt discs, will also pay a few bucks more. Hopefully Sony takes a while to figure this out, for the sake of any prospective Sony buyers out there.

Last edited by mdnitoil; 09-14-10 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-14-10, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Sure it's profitable but the whole process of making one copy at a time is basically done by hand which is about 8 minutes to burn the disc, another few minutes the bring-up and print the disc artwork, package it, overwrap it etc.

They're paying someone to burn, print, package, wrap and ship that one single disc.
I highly doubt they pay someone to "burn, print, package, wrap and ship" each individual disc that gets ordered. Instead, they probably package a number of each individual title (maybe 50-100, more if they feel the title will be popular), and then when their inventory hits a predetermined reorder point, manufacture another 20 or 30 at a time. By combining the runs of several different titles in a week and scheduling the work at times when the employees and equipment might otherwise not be in use, they can do this very economically. Newspapers and magazines do the same thing when they make their presses available to outside customers to run off small batches of printed material. It keeps their equipment and their employees busy for the entire work week when done properly.

The difference between MOD titles and pressed titles is that instead of pressing a few thousand copies all at once and having them sit in a warehouse until ordered, they manufacture a smaller number of several different titles at odd times.
Old 09-14-10, 02:33 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I've always held out hope that "Neighbors" was weird enough and had an interesting-enough trainwreck production to warrant a Criterion release (if Sony would ever release more than "Bottle Rocket" to Criterion) but at this point I'd settle for it becoming availability through this MOD program.
Put me down as someone else wanting Neighbors to come out - this is the ONLY VHS I have left that has not come out on DVD.
Old 09-14-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Again, if MOD is a process which appeals to you, then experiment with a disc and see if it's worth the money, but again, paying that kind of money for such a process is a little steep, but whatever floats one's boat. Just my opinion.
Old 09-14-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Whoever pointed out these will be the first features offered on streaming/download pay services hit the nail on the head. The studio did not waste resources and capital to sell to the very limited market of burn-on-demand. They are just exploiting a project that had already been done for the future digital distribution channel. Wait a couple of years and all of these will be offered to burn yourself from the comfort of your home, once the studios feel comfortable.

I will be skipping any titles because of that knowledge.
Old 09-14-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sony should be offering the option to download them now. I'd rather have a download then a half-assed DVD-R.
Old 09-14-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

I'm torn on the question of "official" studio DVD-Rs. I would be a lot less torn if they were about half the price ($10) or less. Still, I'd rather own a legit DVD-R release of a movie I love than not have it at all or only in an illegally downloaded or otherwise-illicit form (i.e. grey market, TV recording).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.