Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How much of your collection have you watched?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-31-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm not talking about blind buys either. I estimate I've seen 40% of the dvds/blu rays I own. I have actually seen everything I own before I purchased it via the theater, tv, download, or rental, but most of the discs I have have never even been placed in my player. This especially goes for the TV seasons I own, I've probably only watched 15-20%.

What about you?
Old 07-31-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts
Re: How much of your collection have you watched?

75%-ish
Old 07-31-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all depends really.

I'd say i've seen 95% of the movies in my collection.. but it's probably closer to 75% of the movies since i've bought them. I have really cut down on the blind buys and much of the stuff sitting in my to be watched pile i have seen, but not since i've purchased them.
Old 07-31-10, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least 50% of my DVDs are unwatched at this point. I've started to make an effort to lower my backlog this year but I still buy more DVDs than I watch.
Old 07-31-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am currently at 981/1653 = 59% titles watched. I've been tracking what I've watched with an export from DVD Profiler pretty much since the beginning of purchasing DVDs. The good news is that the percentage watched has gone up every year since 2005.

There is a nice thread that some of us track our unwatched piles: Unwatched Movie Pile Thread (July 2010)
Old 07-31-10, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably about 90%
Old 07-31-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thankfully Blu-ray is working out much better than my DVD collection. At 66 owned I'm 100%

My DVD collection is still being added to at a pace of maybe half a dozen per month (including sets), but I'm only maintaining a 70% watch rate. With Blu-rays/HD programming/Streaming ...etc. etc., it's difficult to keep up.
Old 07-31-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

These are all "watched since I purchased" numbers? Impressive
Old 07-31-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by smurr05
Probably about 90%
Same for me. Every time I turn around there are new dvds facing me. Lately I haven't been watching much so that's not helping any.
Old 07-31-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not enough.....
Old 07-31-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of 10,533, I've watched 4022 or around 38%.
Old 07-31-10, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

815 ÷ 819 = 99.5%

I've watched all but four items in my collection: seasons 1-3 of Dexter and season 1 of Dollhouse, all on Blu-ray. Since I'm planning to participate in the animation challenge starting tomorrow, I probably won't get to Dexter until September. I'm holding off on Dollhouse, which I've never seen, until season 2 is released in October.

Rob
Old 07-31-10, 08:23 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

All but 2, and I just bought those a couple of days ago. -kd5-
Old 07-31-10, 09:13 PM
Banned

Probably about 80% of my collection has been opened and watched at least once.

About 75% of my collection is stuff I've seen before I bought the DVD.

That leaves ~20% of my collection for blind buys, of which I haven't seen.

Lately, it seems like I've been buying more DVDs non-stop so I really haven't watched anything new for months. One day I hope to tackle every title on my unwatched shelves.

Last edited by mike07; 07-31-10 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-31-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Out of 10,533, I've watched 4022 or around 38%.
Not that I don't believe you, but can we see photos of this 10,000 plus dvd collection?
Old 07-31-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Not that I don't believe you, but can we see photos of this 10,000 plus dvd collection?
For reference, the theater room is completely over both garages and the room itself has that angled ceiling to match the roof. Before anyone asks, yes, I have stood up and hit my head on the ceiling when I'm on either of those sides of the room. Other than a foot and a half where each side goes straight up, it then turns into an angle.

Let's take a trip, in what's the middle of spring cleaning for me, and gets some pictures of these movies out in the wild. I warn you, we won't be venturing into the garage and opening the two cabinets and few boxes containing even more movies as there's a wild rhinoceros and since I'm alone and only armed with a camera, I surely cannot survive an encounter with him.

I have not cleaned up (obviously) anything before taking these images just now.

Our first trip is to the bedroom. Note the large black alien egg labeled 10. There are currently 24 such eggs, many underneath this bed and others stored in closets.

Some of these are new arrivals that just came in today and some I picked up on vacation about a week ago when, much to my wife's dismay, I spent about $600 on movies.

LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU!!!!

This pack was about ready for a sneak attack. Some are once again from the recent vacation as I stacked them nicely to keep them out of reach of a wild toddler that roams these parts. Some are things I've watched in the bedroom and just haven't put back and some are things I planned on watching but just haven't done it yet.

While I don't claim to stack everything nicely, when I do stack things, it only lasts as long until the wild cat comes around and rubs them. There's been more than one night I'll hear a loud crash from downstairs only to discover a recently rubbed stack of something, now reduced to a pile of rubble.

Another bedroom stack. In this case, the top one was going to be watched, the middle one came back from a friend and the third is a recent purchase.

Still in the bedroom, many of these holdouts are from the exploitation and make your own challenge. Items watched and never put back. Just put them back you say? Easier said than done.

As we leave the bedroom, if you'll look to your left, you see the last remnants of a family of movies. Dead from starvation. This crypt is their final destination.

On our journey to the theater room, we'll first stop off in my little office area. We'll first have to run the gauntlet past these fellows on the left.

Marvel at the small pile of movies in my room. Marvel at the guinea pig turd that's made it's way out of it's nearby home.

This is where I recently had my guinea pig setup before moving it. It's now a home to a pack of movies, 2 dead plants that decided to die on the same day, an alien from area 51 and his bottle of Febreze.

Oh, another ambush by some movies and computer parts that were resting on the chair.

OH NO!!! Those movies and parts distracted us from a pile of DVDs and tapes, part of a much larger pack, where I cleared out the horror and sci-fi section of a local video store that went out of business. Can't pass up the chance to grab things that aren't out on DVD yet for a couple dollars each.

We've made it to my theater room.

I sort things alphabetically and then run out of room, so here these sit. At this point, it starts with the letter T but with all the stuff in other rooms, some of the S guys will be back soon to join them.

More movies.

More tapes from the video store.

The bed where I was sorting movies. That large white shelf was left behind by the next door neighbors when they left, so I grabbed it, along with a cat they left behind, but that's a different story.

Truly an amazing story.

More movies from vacation. So unlike your neighbors, when I go on vacation and invite you over for some movies of the vacation, you'll end up watching horror movies instead of the horrors of them at the beach.

Once again, these were quickly moved out of reach of the wild toddler until I can figure out a place for them.

Downstairs above the fireplace are these guys. It's hard to make out but there's multiple rows of movies up there.

And this is the destroyer. A boy forced to wear a dress by his evil sisters.

So other than this stuff and all the binders which weren't shown. My wife has a small collection of her japanese dvds in the closet and there's a few large boxes of stuff in the garage. There's also a Warriors collection on top of my computer desk that I missed when taking photos. I'm sure there's a few more I missed also.

It's not easy keeping track of it but I use software and I'd be lost without it.
Old 07-31-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts

Thanks for the guided tour, MP. Enjoyed the pictures and the commentary that went with them.

My reaction is part , part
Old 08-01-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

According to DVDPedia, I've watched 93.32% of my entire DVD/BD/HD-DVD collection.

I've watched 97.01% of my Blu-Ray collection alone
Old 08-01-10, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was expecting two entire walls of dvds haha. Considering how neat and organized I am it would annoy the hell out of me to see stacks of dvds lying all over the house
Old 08-01-10, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, that was some tour. I'm not a neat person, but I've always been kind of compulsive about keeping my media stuff organized, so I'm afraid that would make me lose my mind.

I've watched all but 2 sets (Osima's Outlaw 60s, Nikkatsu Noir), 3 movies from the Bava 2 set (Kidnapped, 5 Dolls for an August Moon, Roy Colt and Manchester Jack), and the copy of Paris Texas I just got from the B & N sale. I need to get all those watched this coming, especially the Nikkatsu Noir which I've had about 6 months.
Old 08-01-10, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Loved the tour and commentary as well...I like being organized myself, but right now I don't have the space to be so my collection (much smaller!) is in about that many spaces (though all in one room) so it's very easy to understand! No small children here (unless visiting) but I do have a cat that wonders about. His name is Crash and loves to live up to it.

I'd say, I've watched at least 95% of what I own at least once, but only about 60-70% of the dvds I own (~900). Mostly tv on dvd, I'd say, is unwatched. The last 6 months or so, I've really cut back on buying and have been trying to up the watching. Seems to be working!

Last edited by LJG765; 08-01-10 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something.
Old 08-01-10, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Aprox 97%
Old 08-01-10, 03:15 AM
Banned

I've got quite a stack that I haven't gotten to yet out of my collection of about 778....
Fraggle Rock The Complete Series
Filmation's Ghostbuster complete series
most of the first season of Family Matters
Murphy's Romance
The Invention Of Lying
Liar Liar
The Exorcist Complete Anthology
Rugrats Season 1
She-Ra first season
Pee Wee's Playhouse complete series
seasons 2-5 of the A-Team
The Real Ghostbusters Complete Collection
Pete's Dragon
Quadruple Feature Family Fun Pack (Johnny English, Big Fat Liar, Thunderbirds, Rocky And Bullwinkle)
Four Feature Film Set (Casper, The Little Rascals, Flipper, Leave It To Beaver)
Quadruple Feature Family Comedy Pack (Kindergarten Cop, Problem Child, Kicking And Screaming, Major Payne)
Doctor Who - Robot
Doctor Who - The Three Doctors
Scrooged

Quite a list, huh ? I've just gotten so much lately, especially with my birthday recently, that it's been hard to keep up.
Old 08-01-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
It's not easy keeping track of it but I use software and I'd be lost without it.
It's one thing to remember everything that you own, but completely another thing just to remember where it might be ...

How do you do it?
Old 08-01-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ginwen
Wow, that was some tour. I'm not a neat person, but I've always been kind of compulsive about keeping my media stuff organized, so I'm afraid that would make me lose my mind.
Oh, it sucks. The only thing really stopping me has been getting over to Home Depot and buying some wood to make some 6 ft shelves, similar to the large one I picked up.

I figure if I replace the small shelves along the wall with the screen with larger ones that run all the way across, minus room for the speakers and screen, I should have enough for everything or at least really close to it.

Then if I need to, I could put the smaller shelves along the back angled wall. It's not exactly how I want it but it's the best I can do in that fun house shaped room.

Originally Posted by visitor Q
It's one thing to remember everything that you own, but completely another thing just to remember where it might be ...

How do you do it?
It was around the beginning of the year when I got the new shelf. If I got it sometime after that, it probably hasn't reached the room yet so it's in one of the piles. If it's not there or on the shelf, that means more searching but I've only lost 3 things which have all turned up.

First one was the case of Get A Life Vol. 2. At some point the disc ended up separated from the case and I could never find it, years later I looked on the shelf right next to my bed and found it.

There was one other movie I had marked as being in a binder and couldn't find. After going through all of them a couple times, I figured it somehow jumped in with the stack of movies I gave to a friend. That ended up being the case.

For one Horror challenge, I started to watch Them! but saw it had Japanese subs, so I put it aside for my wife to watch with me. Later on I went looking for it, checking binders and the pile of horror challenge movies near the tv and couldn't find it. A year or so later I ran across it in the correct binder, so I either missed it or forgot I ran across it and put it back in.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 08-01-10 at 10:57 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.