Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you guys go through phases?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you guys go through phases?

My three favorite hobbies are movies, sports and video games. While I always enjoy each year round I usually go through phases with each.

For example one month I might watch a movie every night and buy tons of DVDs and Blu Rays. Then the next month I won't watch a single movie but will play video games each night, etc.

Anyone else the same way?
Old 07-20-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Do you guys go through phases?

yup, I'm currently my videogame phase where I want to play all classic games from the 80's on my emulators... I'm not too into DVD and Blu-ray collecting or watching right now. I'm disillusioned with Blu's at the moment. I've been through this cycle before and expect my pastime to change once the weather starts cooling in the fall. I've had other hobbies too, like cooking, winemaking, vacationing, story writing, moviemaking, comic book collecting, RPGs, etc.
Old 07-20-10, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done that. Buy movies and watch them all the time, then still buy some but don't watch. Instead I would play games. Maybe a month or so of VG but usually movies and such.
Old 07-20-10, 02:12 PM

Yes I'm also a fan of all three. I only follow nba and nfl so not much going on now. I have been growing tired of collecting dvds for various reasons. I'm now basically playing video games.
Old 07-20-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 07-20-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Absolutely. I've found that I'm most likely to want to watch movies at home in the late fall through winter. I'll still buy year-long if I find the right price on the right thing, but I'm not big on watching DVDs/Blu-rays during the summer. Instead, I prefer to go to the theater (not that I make it there nearly as often as I'd like). The only sport I follow is baseball, so I tend to spend most of the prime time night hours watching my beloved Reds (who've actually been good this year!). Video games I tend to play alternatively with my at-home movie watching. Something about the colder weather, I guess.
Old 07-21-10, 07:33 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

The only real phases I go through are with my purchasing tendencies. I'll go through phases where I'm actively looking for specific DVDs (and when I can't find the ones I want, for the price I want them, I'll get bummed), then I'll go through phases where I really don't want to buy anything. I don't get the opportunity to play my video games (specifically Final Fantasy VII) like I'd really like to sometimes, it seems like I always have a computer here to work on so I can't really take the time to play. The different seasons don't really alter the way we watch television, neither of us drink, do the club scene, or are nightflies, so evenings are ours to watch movies and/or TV show DVDs. My only real hobbies are computers and DVDs. I used to collect (vinyl) albums (almost 500) but that has been overshadowed by DVDs. -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 07-22-10 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 10:12 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I split my time and money between buying films (DVD, Blu-Ray) and buying music (CD, Vinyl) - I also buy books, mostly based on film - I rarely play video games, but when the new NHL game comes out, I will be obsessed with that for a few months.
Old 07-21-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Yes, even though I've only played maybe 2-3 video games consistently for the past 2+ years.
Old 07-21-10, 04:43 PM

Modern Warfare 2
Old 07-21-10, 04:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Yes, even though I've only played maybe 2-3 video games consistently for the past 2+ years.
Which 2 - 3?
Old 07-21-10, 09:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Eva Kaine
Which 2 - 3?
I'm wondering this as well.
Old 07-22-10, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last year, I had a Criterion phase.
Old 07-22-10, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Eva Kaine
Which 2 - 3?
Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm wondering this as well.
Street Fighter IV (PS3)
Super Street Fighter IV (PS3)
Mass Effect (Xbox 360)

I play Fighting Games competitively, so when SFIV originally came out in Arcades, I collectively dropped every game I was playing casually or thinking of buying to put time into SFIV. I think I put about 400-500+ hours (excluding training with friends, tournaments, get-togethers and so on) into SFIV for the entire year + it was out before SSFIV came out.

Also not having much time to play games outside Fighters makes it easy to not want to buy anything new (minus Heavy Rain)
Old 07-22-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

The only phase I really go through is in my buying habits. Some periods I buy alot, and some times I buy very little. This is partly due to release schedules too. Right now I am in a low buying period. I just bought the first disc of the month, this past Tuesday. Late August into Septmeber is when I do alot of buying, as it seems like alot of the tv shows come out in that time to correspond with the new season.
As for video games, I never really got into them. Had an NES as a kid, and I got a PS1 when PS2 came out. Still have it, but havent played it in years.
I also seem to go through phases with my shooting. Seems like I will go to the range pretty consistently every week for a couple of months, then I will not go for a couple of months for whatever reason.

Last edited by jjcool; 07-22-10 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-22-10, 03:21 PM
Banned

I definitely do. There are days when all I want to do is watch movies any spare time I have, other days I feel too lazy to put a movie in and just watch re-runs on cable. The strange part is, I've only had cable for a month after going 8 years without it.

Other than that, I can go days without buying a single movie but whenever I do buy them it seems like I end up with at least 10.
Old 07-22-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not really like that. I go through moods where I'll only want to watch a genre, but I'm never not using my netflix or blu-ray player. One time I was on an asian mood where I only watched Chinese and Japanese films. I had a huge pile of unwatched dvds and it took me a month to go through it. By the end it kind of hurt my head NOT to read subtitles when I was watching a movie. That was three years ago. To tell you the truth, sometimes I'll STILL flip the subs on English films too.

Hate sports (after the 49'ers lost Steve Young and the A's Tony LaRussa & Mcgwire), don't play many video games (since I moved and sold my xbox and ps2. I still play the wii, but only on rare occasions when I'm not working, watching movies or writing).
Old 07-22-10, 04:42 PM
Banned

Nope! Just into my films/DVD's, Football and my family not neccesarily in that order! I do tend to go back and forth from films to TV series though!