Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with the other Ultraman series on DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-10, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about getting the Ultraman TV series, but after looking up some information on Ultraman it turns out there were a bunch of other Ultraman shows. Now I'm not so sure if I should get Ultraman or not, because I worry that they might release a big box set with all the Ultraman stuff. As far as Japan goes according to Wikipedia:

There has also been a digital re-release movement in Japan where the entire Ultraman series are to be released as a collector's box set. These box sets feature the entire series plus various limited edition items such as posters, etc.

I'm a Region 1 person though, so that doesn't do me much good. Have any of the other Ultraman series been released for Region 1 users, or is there any talk about what might happen with them as far as a release might go? I'm still on the fence about getting the 1966/1972 series.

P.S.

Are Iron King and Super Robot Red Baron worth getting? They seem to come up a lot when looking for Ultraman.
Old 07-13-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: What's the deal with the other Ultraman series on DVD?

Iron King is cheap right now at amazon. Go for it if you like Ultraman. A few of the other Ultraman series has been released by various other companies, like Funimation, but since the rights of the Ultraman series are from various sources, I don't know what the likelyhood is for a "complete" boxset. And for Japan, a "Complete" boxset? They release one every so often! The series isn't finished, so how can they do that? "Complete up to now boxset" should be the title.
Old 07-13-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Iron King is cheap everywhere. It's a Mill Creek release and I found it the same price at Wal-Mart that Amazon is selling it for. The old series is also super cheap if you shop around, so if a box set does come out, you won't be taking that big of a hit.

Even if a set does come out in Japan, I would still be surprised if one came out here since it's not as popular.
Old 07-14-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd be up for getting the follow-up series. I watched the original in syndication as a kid. Picked up the two-part R1 Ultraman box set a couple years ago and was surprised at how well the subbed version held up now that I'm pushing fifty.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 07-14-10 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-14-10, 11:52 AM

The all rights to the series are currently being held up, again, by a long legal battle.
Old 07-14-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, if there were a box set of all the Ultraman series, it would cost like a million dollars. Not gonna happen.

The original is the one you probably know: aka "Season 1." Seven came second (yeah, I know, don't argue with me), so you might know him, too, but probably not. 15 years ago or so, another series aired in the US, but it was one of the newer ones (Tiga?) that looks very CGI and too clean and digital. Don't bother with any of those releases, or the couple of animated ones.

If you like season 1, there's no reason not to get Iron King and Red Baron. If Johnny Sokko comes out at Amazon, you might want that, too.
Old 07-14-10, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I decided to order Ultraman, Iron King, and Super Robot Red Baron. It was great to get some thoughts on all this, especially when I don't know where to turn in regards to matter relating to Ultraman. Here's to hoping they get all the legal troubles resolved and get the rest of it released.
Old 07-15-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For anyone intersted, Target has Ultraman S1 V1 for $4.75. Includes about 20 or 30 eps., I think.
Old 07-15-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's not the version to get.

An upgraded version containing the entire series is the one to get and it's cheap, under $9.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultraman-Compl...9238380&sr=8-1
Old 07-16-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn, that's cheap! I'm a casual Ultraman fan, so that set works for me. But I may upgrade to this better set sometime. Didn't know you could get it for such a steal.