Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Criterion boxset to be released in November (Easy Rider, Last Picture Show, etc)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion boxset to be released in November (Easy Rider, Last Picture Show, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

found this on theauteurs.com / mubi.com message boards - supposedly a confirmed rumor, and very exciting:

"Rumor: Criterion To Release New Hollywood Box Set This November

By Ryan Gallagher on June 2, 2010, 9:43 pm

Exciting news from the rumor mill! A trusted source buried deep in the business tells me that we should expect another box set this holiday season from the Criterion Collection.

This is still a rumor, and after digging around on the CriterionForum, it’s one that has been kicking around since at least last year, so keep that in mind. I’m told that Criterion has just recently acquired the rights to several films from the producing duo: Bert Schneider (producer of Hearts and Minds and Days of Heaven) and Bob Rafelson, specifically Easy Rider and The Last Picture Show. With the recent passing of Dennis Hopper, it’ll be great to have him in one more film in the Collection.

This will most likely be a box set (5-7 films) from the New Hollywood era, produced by Schneider & Rafelson, so it’s safe to assume that Five Easy Pieces will most likely be a part of this set.

Some other tidbits that I was able to pry out of this rumor:

The box set (again, 5-7 films) will be released around November for a Holiday release (similar to Criterion’s mega Kurosawa set last winter)
The films will definitely be a Criterion release (not Eclipse) as there will be lots of supplemental materials included.
There will be a Blu-ray and DVD version of the set.
The films will not be available individually, only as the set.
So again, this is all just a rumor, but a very exciting rumor at that. With this release, Criterion is proving yet again, that collectible physical media is an important part of our modern culture, especially in terms of film appreciation. Yesterday we wrote about the Redbox CEO finding Netflix’s large library irrelevant and unnecessary, I would hate to hear his thoughts on a box set release like this.

[Update 6/7/10 – According to a user on CriterionForum.org, this rumor is indeed true. They claim the titles will be: Five Easy Pieces/ Head/ King of Marvin Gardens/ The Last Picture Show/ Easy Rider/ A Safe Place/ Drive, He Said. Read the thread here.]"
Old 06-18-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Criterion boxset to be released in November (Easy Rider, Last Picture Show, etc)

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/55...-set-sony.html: See Post #15
Old 06-18-10, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Criterion boxset to be released in November (Easy Rider, Last Picture Show, etc)

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Yeah, I thought that sounded suspiciously like the rumored Sony set. Odd that Criterion somehow got cross-pollinated in there.

Last edited by mdnitoil; 06-19-10 at 06:08 PM.